Clean Air Conditioning

Stubby

Good morning, forum.

I need someone to come to my pad and clean a couple of air conditioning units. I made two appointments last month and no one turned up so I won't chase them again. I'm in the Mae Hia area of CM. Any recommendations much appreciated.

Best regards,

Stubby

I can't make a recommendation for your area but I can give a warning/suggestion of sorts.

I discovered the water in my commode's  water tank looked like this when I lifted the lid to put in those discs that turn the water blue.   Cleaning the tank was on my to do list but the aircon  cleaner guys came before I got to the tank.

toilet.thumb.jpg.8ae6a1c5fb316033323619b53b87f86c.jpg

When the aircon cleaners came here I discovered they used the water from the tank to clean the first aircon unit.    I managed to  prevent them from doing the same to the second unit.

You really should keep an eye on them.

1 hour ago, watcharacters said:

When the aircon cleaners came here I discovered they used the water from the tank to clean the first aircon unit.    I managed to  prevent them from doing the same to the second unit.

Thanks, Watcharacters. It's why I asked for recommendations. You're right, you do have to keep an eye on some folks ? One of my units started to drip water onto the floor. It's my guess that it needs a good cleaning but this year the condo guys don't seem interested. They usually charge 500B per unit, and I can only assume they do a professional job. They do take everything to bits and use lots of water, but I'm no expert. Hopefully, someone will come back with a number at some point. I assume most folks don't clean their own systems.

Stubby

Call Charlie at ‭082-766-0426‬. Extremely experienced and can clean, service and install. When he last cleaned my units he noticed the original “factory trained” installers had not properly grounded the compressors and took care of that problem as well. 

JeffandGop, Thailand, thank you both very much.

I'll give them a call in that order and see who can oblige ? Whoever does the job, I'll come back and update after the work  is done ? 

Cheers,

Stubby

Hi Folks,

OK, so I called the first suggestion by JeffandGop. Charlie speaks great English so there were no communication issues from the outset. He's just this minute left. One of my units was particularly dirty going by the filth that came out. Very professional service so I can definitely recommend and will use again.

Cheers,

Stubby 

I have always cleaned our air con units myself.

Dead easy. First turn off the electric power. Take out the nylon filters, clean the dust away with a brush, rinse with cold water and dry with a cloth.

Get a feather duster and dust inside the units areas that can be reached. Put the filters back and then wipe clean the outside with a damp cloth and a touch of washing up liquid.

That`s all there is to it.

13 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

Dead easy. First turn off the electric power. Take out the nylon filters, clean the dust away with a brush, rinse with cold water and dry with a cloth.

Get a feather duster and dust inside the units areas that can be reached. Put the filters back and then wipe clean the outside with a damp cloth and a touch of washing up liquid.

i have not been impressed with people that have come to clean the aircons.   just wondering though, what

are they using the water for (that they spray inside the units) if a feather duster would be enough ?

Outside compressors easy enough to spray myself with a hose....

5 hours ago, rumak said:

i have not been impressed with people that have come to clean the aircons.   just wondering though, what

are they using the water for (that they spray inside the units) if a feather duster would be enough ?

Outside compressors easy enough to spray myself with a hose....

5 years ago I bought a new air con unit. Part of the deal was that the store would send out a so-called technician after 6 months to service the unit.

4 men arrived on my doorstep to service the unit. I watched what they done with interest and what they done was exactly how I described in my post, only they seemed to require 4 men for the job.They did not go near the outside compressor. All completed within 10 minutes. After that I just repeated the same process they did. Why they would spray water inside the unit, beats me.

As for the compressor, I`ve never touch it and not had any problems.

3 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

5 years ago I bought a new air con unit. Part of the deal was that the store would send out a so-called technician after 6 months to service the unit.

4 men arrived on my doorstep to service the unit. I watched what they done with interest and what they done was exactly how I described in my post, only they seemed to require 4 men for the job.They did not go near the outside compressor. All completed within 10 minutes. After that I just repeated the same process they did. Why they would spray water inside the unit, beats me.

Maybe just once you should call one of the services that are recommended here after you have done your cleaning.

Stand back and watch all the gunk that comes our of your a/c.  That's why they spray water. 

I have all mine cleaned  every 6 months and it is amazing how much think it's in there despot the fact that I clean the coarse filters monthly. After cleaning they are so much more efficient. Worth every satang.

On 6/14/2018 at 11:13 AM, watcharacters said:

I can't make a recommendation for your area but I can give a warning/suggestion of sorts.

I discovered the water in my commode's  water tank looked like this when I lifted the lid to put in those discs that turn the water blue.   Cleaning the tank was on my to do list but the aircon  cleaner guys came before I got to the tank.

toilet.thumb.jpg.8ae6a1c5fb316033323619b53b87f86c.jpg

Regardless of who is coming to your place to fix anything, you should always have both eyes on them. 

13 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Niyom Phanich, the electrical superstore between Airport Mall and the moat offer an air con cleaning service, about 500 baht per unit. Located next to the Toyota dealer.

If you've got three or more units to clean, it will be much cheaper than 500 baht per unit. 300 per unit is a good price when they really do all work. 

We used to have four aircon cleaned every year and then we stopped, the consumer unit just doesn't get dirty so this whole business of wrapping it in plastic and spraying with a house etc is silly and not called for. We use filtrette in the unit which we change from time to time, maybe that's why, we haven't bothered to have them cleaned for two years and when I look inside the consumer unit it's almost spotless.

Total rubbish that is not all there is to cleaning an aircon !

Well, I can't clean my air con because I don't have the tools or the experience. They use power vacuums, and big plastic funnels to catch all the water into a bucket. The guy who did my unit's yesterday was the boss of a three-man team. They took the units apart and cleaned each component before putting them back. It was a noisy job.  I couldn't believe just how much black gunk and sh*t came out. And yes, they cleaned the compressors outside too. For 500 baht a unit, well, I wouldn't bother doing myself even if I had the tools and know-how. I'll certainly have them back again. 

Call Charlie at ‭082-766-0426 if you need an English speaking, Australian trained tradesman.

Stubby

On 6/14/2018 at 2:14 PM, jeffandgop said:

Call Charlie at ‭082-766-0426‬. Extremely experienced and can clean, service and install. When he last cleaned my units he noticed the original “factory trained” installers had not properly grounded the compressors and took care of that problem as well. 

They are good but we were hit with an extremely high bill from them for cleaning, the last time they came. We accept partial responsibility for not asking in advance. But since we had them a few times before and their prices were consistent and competitive each time, the 100% increase was disappointing.

4 minutes ago, elektrified said:

They are good but we were hit with an extremely high bill from them for cleaning, the last time they came. We accept partial responsibility for not asking in advance. But since we had them a few times before and their prices were consistent and competitive each time, the 100% increase was disappointing.

It's only the inside filter that needs cleaning, pull the cover, rub the dust off the cloth filter, bash it outside a few times, job done, zero cost. Do it 2x a year.

Really easy to do and you never hear the 'you need more gas' scam.

18 hours ago, johng said:
On 6/15/2018 at 9:50 PM, cyberfarang said:

Total rubbish that is not all there is to cleaning an aircon !

That's all that's needed to keep the cool air flowing though.

You're just wasting money on 'makework' that doesn't need doing.

On 6/16/2018 at 3:22 AM, cyberfarang said:

I agree, same with me.

When did you last clean the back and underside of your fridge? Same operating theory, it just isn't needed. 

Just now, BritManToo said:

That's all that's needed to keep the cool air flowing though.

You're just wasting money on 'makework' that doesn't need doing.

Sorry but tickling it with a feather duster is not "all that's needed"

here an example "hamster wheel fan"  that needed serious blasting with pressure washer or as I did take it out of the unit and clean it with scrubbing brushes  in the bathroom..it took some doing !!!

447156750_P_20170218_101655(Large).jpg.4e91b732a453c8f3e61a7d1ec1479bdf.jpg

another area that needs proper cleaning is the condensation drip try and drainage pipe  which builds up a sludge that will eventually block the pipe  then you'll have cold water dripping down your inside wall and onto anything electrical situated below,or onto your  parquet floor. ?

As for the condenser unit (outside)  this also can get clogged with dust especially  if its anywhere near where cooking is being done...Thais like to fry a lot...but just the soot from diesel fumes  and all the other dust in the air can clog the fins  and cause the unit to work much harder..yes you can spray it with a hosepipe..mostly that will work  but be very very careful not to get water into anywhere its not supposed to go...

I agree, Charlie is great ... Australian trained and knows his stuff well. 

We have used PT Air locally for many years cleaning @ 400 bt per unit and they are 100% reliable though no english spoken.  PT Air is on Facebook and service all areas though San Patong, Hang Dong, Mae Hia is their backyard.

Waterblasting the fan is essential and these guys leave no mess.  Our aircon regains 30% or more efficiency once cleaned, usually done just before hot season.

16 minutes ago, johng said:

Yes that's exactly what it is  blocked condensation drain pipe.

Correct, and boy was it clogged. There was nothing like it the year previous, but for all I know it wasn't cleaned or cleaned properly. I should have took some pics of the work, the filth, and the thorough job, and then posted here. I didn't think about it so never mind.  

Archived