Sophon Cable Tv

Up2U

A couple of months ago the BBC News channel was dropped in favour of a Chinese (English-language) news channel. Admittedly this did give a different slant on news items (no pun or racial slur intended).

Now one of the two sports channels has been dropped for a Russian language channel. And that is definitely a bummer.

I can get BBC during the week, when I live in Bang Phlii and have the basic UBC package, but I do miss the extra sport at weekends.

Means I have to go out to Kilkenny, The Clinic, Lobby, Pig & Whistle, Tim's or some other dreary place serving farang food, beer and footie shows, when I could be at home relaying the carpet or de-icing the fridge.

How can we control Sophon? I've e-mailed them, but doesn't elicit a response.

Up2U,

I spoke to Sophon Cable about this a few weeks ago after I received many emails and phone calls from people who though that I was Sophon Cable. I didnt get any answers out of them as well but believe that copyright violations which never used to be a problem are now becoming a major headache for them.

A couple of months ago the BBC News channel was dropped in favour of a Chinese (English-language) news channel. Admittedly this did give a different slant on news items (no pun or racial slur intended).

Now one of the two sports channels has been dropped for a Russian language channel. And that is definitely a bummer.

I can get BBC during the week, when I live in Bang Phlii and have the basic UBC package, but I do miss the extra sport at weekends.

Means I have to go out to Kilkenny, The Clinic, Lobby, Pig & Whistle, Tim's or some other dreary place serving farang food, beer and footie shows, when I could be at home relaying the carpet or de-icing the fridge.

How can we control Sophon?  I've e-mailed them, but doesn't elicit a response.

:D:D

Admittedly this did give a different slant on news items (no pun or racial slur intended).

As per your quotes…………

And that is definitely a bummer. LOL.......... :D

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kan Win,

Maybe same as your Avatar ?LOL? That must surely a bummer if I ever seen one. :D

Use UBC proper, me think if you really miss these channels, at least I do not get all the rubbish programs that you get, and I Kan get the extra Sports at week-end in Kan.

Anyway, it is Up2U. You Kan only Win if you pay for it. LOL

:o

Hi

another assumption as no cable where i lve but would it not make sense to get a black dish and pay a fee to UBC as reading in the papers they pay big money to bring the best to the users. People i know say it is the best available.

Sounds like cable 'borrowed' will only be a short term thing.??

I live in Pattaya at week-ends, where my home is.

I pay small money there for Sophon.

During the working week I live in Bang Phlii (Thana City) while watching Suvarnabhumi Airport slowly rise out of Cobra Swamp.

I get a basic UBC set of programmes from Thana City in the cost of the rent. this includes no Eng.-Lang. sports channels, but does include BBC World. (Also ABC AsiaPacific is thrown in as a frrebie). The Eng.-Lang. channels related to UBC are BBC World, CNN, Star Movies and Discovery. That is it. I have no wish to pay for anything when I only watch for a couple of hours, four evenings a week.

But I do want to sit down and relax at home.

I dream of receiving Sophon Cable.........................in my Condo I'm stuck with Banglamung Cable, 3 English language channels only and one of them is the Fashion Channel!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Admittedly this did give a different slant on news items (no pun or racial slur intended).

As per your quotes…………

And that is definitely a bummer. LOL.......... :D

Kan Win,

Maybe same as your Avatar ?LOL? That must surely a bummer if I ever seen one. :D

:D

It's supposed to wiggle too - but maybe more than 20k in size then.

Pity, 'cos it looks much better when moving :D

Now why can't Sophon do something like that :o

As per your quotes…………

And that is definitely a bummer. LOL.......... 

Kan Win,

Maybe same as your Avatar ?LOL?  That must surely a bummer if I ever seen one.

It's supposed to wiggle too - but maybe more than 20k in size then.

Pity, 'cos it looks much better when moving

Now why can't Sophon do something like that

LOL :D

Tks Up2U

So then your Avatar is in Dire Straits. LOL . Shame really, Butt a nice view . :D

Ask George, as “he knows all the cords” (opps singing to myself once again –Dire Straits, I believe ) how to make things move. :o

Then again, UBC Rules O.K.

P.S. sorry, butt had to take out the Smilies from the “Quotes” so that I could fit mine in this post. Sad Really….. :D

George…. errrr, could we get more Smilies please for our Posts, Please …………………. :D

Up2U,Tue 2004-05-18, 14:17:48

It's supposed to wiggle too - but maybe more than 20k in size then. :D

Pity, 'cos it looks much better when moving :D

--------------------------------------------------

Maybe ask Darknight for his/hers Avatar moves :o

LOL

:D

Well I am so pissed off at sophon that I am today getting UBC installed. Its much more expensive at 1600 Baht a month but at least there will be some decent channels again.

Well I am so pissed off at sophon that I am today getting UBC installed. Its much more expensive at 1600 Baht a month but at least there will be some decent channels again.

My problem is the 1600 per month - plus the 8,000 installation fee. As I am only home about 8 days per month, this cones expensive.

Better to go down the Pig & Whistle and spend it on fish 'n chips while watching soccer.

Sophon still allows me to watch Aussie Rules, 'cos it's a free-to-air channel that they pull down and put in their bouquet.

Well its installed and working! Up2u, I paid 15500 Baht installation, with 4000 of that as a deposit, that included the box, dish, installation and a 29" Sharpe flat screen surround sound TV.

What a nice change to see BBC again, and Discovery, Animal Planet, History Channel and the films also.

sophon is great. I get ABC (Austraila) for 350 baht a month. Who could ask for more? Home and Away every day, brilliant :o

That's a free-to-air channel that you could pick up yourself, with the right equipment. I have it in Patty and Bang Phli. Complained to UBC when it went off in Bang Phli one night - they told me it was nothing to do with them, my landlord must have added it to their package as a freebie.

Good for Aussie Rules all weekend at the moment. Essenden or Collingwood?

UP2U

Have you any idea on which satellite the Oz football is please.  I have a dish but most of the channels are Indian and Chinese.  I can add a satellite to mine.

Derek

I can't help, but it is ABC Asia Pacific - they must have a web-site that will give the info. Get your Google working.

There have been (over the past couple of weeks) one match friday night, two matches minimum on Saturday and Sunday. And yesterday St Kilda won by 100+ points. Didn't catch much this weekend, too much else to do.

Collingwood still the strongest club in the league - holding all the rest up. :o

Also Rugby League matches - and State of Origin coming shortly.

This thread started with a whinge about losing one sports channel. What I didn't realise was that we had lost both 'Channel of Champions' channels and had the weary Eurosport channel as a substitute. This had previously only been a 'fill-in' when there was nothing on the CC channels. I assume that the CC channels cost money (South African feeds from Sky Sports, when showing Premiership football and so on) and Eurosport is again a free-to-air channel. Sophon is being cut back by the step-up in security by all Rupert Murdoch's empire.

I counted 14 satellite dishes protruding over balconies in my condo - just what I could see leaning out of my balcony. When I first rented it, 2 years ago, there were none. Is this affluence, or disgust with Sophon / UBC cable?

I think the problem is even the channels you can get from UBC sounds good (Discovery channel, Animal channel, ... ) they apparently are not the same "versions" as you'd find in the western world, but are a blur of reruns and material many years old.

I don't understand why on earth the BBC would give UBC monopoly on distributing BBC World to Thailand. Someone must have held them hostage with a story about how all westerners in Thailand only watch UBC and unless they make a exclusive deal UBC won't distribute it.

There is an alternative satellite system being promoted quite stronly in Pattaya these days. It is digital but transmits over the C band (huge disc as oppose to the tiny disc used for UBC's Ku band transmissions). 200 channels or more for free, but the majority are Chinese and Indian. The few English language channels listed were BBC World, Fashion TV and God channel ... hardly worth the ~15,000 baht cost of purchase and installation, even if there are no monthly fees.