Ageing beef in the refrigerator

Kenny202

Anyone had any luck doing this? Getting some reasonably tender eye fillet but lacks flavour because the beef here isnt aged. Ive read needs 2 weeks min in a cool room at presicely the right temperature...or it will go rotten rather than age. Anyone have any info?

Sent from my SM-J730GM using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• 3 weeks later...

I've seen half a buffalo carcass hung to air in a cool room, in a calico bag

you probably already googled:

'hanging beef to age'

what about? :

'hanging beef to age calico bag'

I buy a 3-5 piece of boneless Thai beef sirloin and age it in the fridge for about 2 weeks.  DON"T put it in a plastic bag.   Wash it and dry it and wrap it in a COTTON towel and put it on the bottom shelf and forget it for 2 weeks - no longer!  I unwrap it and cut the hardened black areas from the exterior and then cut it into serving sizes.  It works okay for a large chunk of beef, but don't try it for an individual steak or small piece of meat.  One of the problems is that the temp in the fridge is not constant.  1) you are continuously opening/closing the door  and 2) if the fridge is frost free it turns itself off for a period each day lowering the temperature.  I think that the ageing improves both the flavor and the tenderness of the meat, but it be that when it's finished I wake up in a "Trump" world and just believe that it has because I said that it would!

Archived