Keeping teen kids busy during school break

DrPhibes

So I have a 16yr old boy and a 14 yr old girl.  Their Thai is kinda passable and am looking to keep them off screens during the current summer break.  The boy likes cooking, can get him Thai cooking classes but can't seem to find foreign cooking classes in CM such as Italian or French.  The girl is into dance (no poles) and is looking for hip hop type classes taught in English.  Any suggestions would be helpful.  Thanks all in advance!

4 hours ago, Trujillo said:

"...am looking to keep them off screens during the current summer break." 

Confiscate their devices. 

Have them volunteer at an old folks home for a month. 

I used to get a job in the school holidays, so what's wrong with finding them a job and they'll also make some pocket money?

1 hour ago, Trujillo said:

Not sure how strict the authorities are, but isn't working without a permit illegal, regardless of age? 

But yes, maybe they could mow lawns or something. 

Good point, but if there is family with a farm, they could go there and work for the holidays. I doubt anyone going to report them as long as in the family. Even work around the house, gardening or something. Just not sitting on their butts, chatting to imaginary friends.

Don't know where you live, but a friend's daughter does Hip Hop and Kpop dance classes in Bangkok at Rumpuree dance studio. She loves it and she is about 14.

Sorry, just saw you live in Chiang Mai, there must be many dance studios there too.

Best of luck, we have 4 kids ranging from 4 up to 14 and access to the internet is for an hour per evening, after house chores, weekends a little longer.

We won't allow them to turn into internet Zombie's like their parents ?‍?

On 6/17/2018 at 2:14 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

I used to get a job in the school holidays, so what's wrong with finding them a job and they'll also make some pocket money?

Not as easy to do in Thailand but unpaid internship is a better possibility.

11 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Best of luck, we have 4 kids ranging from 4 up to 14 and access to the internet is for an hour per evening, after house chores, weekends a little longer.

We won't allow them to turn into internet Zombie's like their parents ?‍?

Whether they are zombies or not depends on how they use the media.My 11 yr old British/Thai son who has been attested with a high IQ plays Roblox games with other kids around the world, 4 of them have formed an online group,play against each other and my son uploads the games stored on the computer to youtube, he has over a million 'hits' and gets virtual money from Roblox with which he buys other games to play and upload, I no longer understand what he is doing. I used to laugh when he told me he is going to be a youtuber and become a millionaire, now I don't laugh anymore.

There are hip-hop classes in the dance school at Airport Plaza (near the skating rink on the 4th floor, opposite the food court entrance).  Frankly, you should send the boy there- my four-year-old daughter took some private classes, and the group classes constained a couple dozen lovely teen-aged girls and maybe two guys.  If my wife would allow it and I were a few decades younger, I'd be taking classes there daily.;)

Archived