Dutch pensioner throws himself off fifth floor roof at downtown Hua Hin hotel

webfact

Dutch pensioner throws himself off fifth floor roof at downtown Hua Hin hotel

1PM.jpg

Picture: Banmuang

A 68 year old man from the Netherlands jumped from the fifth floor of a Hua Hin hotel where he had been staying for the past month.

A large crowd of people from the Darun Suksa School saw the body as the school broke up for the day yesterday evening.

Dead in a walkway next to the Hua Hin Place Guest House was Robert Hendricus Cornelis who originally came from Amsterdam.

He was dressed in white t-shirt and white shorts. The body was sent for autopsy.

A maid at the guest house Wasana Ngamleua, 51, said the deceased had been staying in a lower floor room for a month. He had passed her in the corridor and looked like a man with the weight of the world on his mind. He didn't say anything.

He went up to the fifth floor flat roof where he often went for exercise and sunbathing.

The next thing she head was a thud - she ran out and called the authorities.

She said the deceased was a lovely guy who was a vegetarian and never made trouble for anyone.

Hua Hin station chief Pol Col Thanakan Wongsirilak said that CCTV had been examined and this was a clear case of suicide.

Source: Banmuang

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-06-15

The charity Samaritans is available around the clock for people who want to talk.

If you or anyone you know is in need of mental health services, please contact the Samaritans of Thailand at their 24-hour hotline 02-713-6791 (English), 02713-6793 (Thai) or Thai Mental Health Hotline at 1323 (Thai).

http://www.samaritansthai.com/news/samaritans-of-thailand-english-hotline/

I just don't understand why so many farang come to Thailand and commit suicide.i very rarely read about people committing suicide in Spain.maybe the odd drunk fella falling from a balcony trying to climb on to another balcony or the odd drowning here and there but never a suicide.also throwing yourself of high or semi high rise buildings can't be the best way to go.in fact it's a horrifying way to go.

19 minutes ago, happy chappie said:

I just don't understand why so many farang come to Thailand and commit suicide.i very rarely read about people committing suicide in Spain.maybe the odd drunk fella falling from a balcony trying to climb on to another balcony or the odd drowning here and there but never a suicide.also throwing yourself of high or semi high rise buildings can't be the best way to go.in fact it's a horrifying way to go.

It is far more common than you may think. In the UK there is a notorious spot for suicides, Beachy Head, which are 530 feet of chalk cliffs rising from the sea.

In 2017 there were about 80 deaths there, mostly attributed to suicide. 2018 is shaping up to be much the same.

5 minutes ago, fantom said:

It is far more common than you may think. In the UK there is a notorious spot for suicides, Beachy Head, which are 530 feet of chalk cliffs rising from the sea.

In 2017 there were about 80 deaths there, mostly attributed to suicide. 2018 is shaping up to be much the same.

Yes I understand that and know of beach head and of the 80 suicides in 2017 how many were foreign tourists.probably none.i read the uk news quite a lot but never read about tourists leaping from buildings and committing suicide.it would be interesting to know the foreign suicide figures for Vietnam,Cambodia,USA,Australia,Spain.maybe Thailand is keeping it quiet that it is the hub of foreign suicides.maybe a tv member can enlighten us in the matter.

RIP. Why Thailand? I understand suicide, been close a couple times, age is about right. No hint of broken heart. I think about, what if you reach the 1st floor and change your mind? or  does it matter. Hotels should restrict older, sad men, to rooms on the 1st floor and restricting their access to higher floors and roof.

1 minute ago, oldrunner said:

RIP. Why Thailand? I understand suicide, been close a couple times, age is about right. No hint of broken heart. I think about, what if you reach the 1st floor and change your mind? or  does it matter. Hotels should restrict older, sad men, to rooms on the 1st floor and restricting their access to higher floors and roof.

That's just silly. Buildings have elevators. They can't do screening of everyone that boards an elevator.

Next ... 

1 minute ago, Happy enough said:

it's nothing to do with thailand. depression and suicide is common everywhere, here it just makes the news for some reason

It does seem like flying out of buildings as a method is much more common here. 

58 minutes ago, happy chappie said:

well i suppose for a damaged mind it is the quick way you will go for sure.

Not getting saved, then in a worse way like being vegetable or in wheelchair with terrible brain damage.

IMO, they dont firstly choose Thailand to die as such,

but this place a desperate person you can escape your problems and live cheaply without others annoying you.

then enter the wrong Thai lady who cant even realise the signs be the guy in a bad way. just out for all they can get.

so they get sex, first time in years.

affordable smokes and cheap beer probably on top of lots heavy medications.

a perfect human storm.

soon all money will be gone and who wants to go back home broke at that age.

i think could be the reality for some of these.

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

It does seem like flying out of buildings as a method is much more common here. 

lots of apartment blocks. personally i think it's real sad for someone to decide to do that. a call to the samaritans could avoid these things. anyway, his choice

1 hour ago, happy chappie said:

I just don't understand why so many farang come to Thailand and commit suicide.i very rarely read about people committing suicide in Spain.

Maybe, if you read spainvisa.com everyday, you might hear of a few more ?

Becuase suicide is generally not published in the same manner around the world.

If  foreign suicide wasnt such a cash cow for thaivisa you wouldnt hesr much about it here either.

5 minutes ago, Thaiwrath said:

Maybe, if you read spainvisa.com everyday, you might hear of a few more ?

Yes I understand what you are saying but I'm not taking my figures from reading Thai visa.If you google....British tourist commits suicide it comes up with 1 in Brazil,1 in India and the rest all in Thailand.in fact it seems very rare for a tourist to commit suicide around the world apart from Thailand.just search tourist suicide and see for yourself.then again maybe all the countries around the world all cover up their statistics on tourists committing suicide while in their countries and Thailand don't.

he obviously had problems in his life, maybe mental health issues, health problems or both, sometimes health problems can cause mental health problems, which leads to suicidal thoughts. I know because I've been through it myself.

why do it in Thailand ? maybe because its becoming a trend, and for whatever reason, some people like to copycat, or due to mental health issues, people think suicide in Thailand would be a 'cool' way to go, or he just wanted to enjoy some hot weather, thai food, nice beaches, and some thai ladies or whatever before he ended it all.

some people are just not happy in their native countries, and Thailand was the only place that made them happy, so they want to die there too.

2 minutes ago, happy chappie said:

Yes I understand what you are saying but I'm not taking my figures from reading Thai visa.If you google....British tourist commits suicide it comes up with 1 in Brazil,1 in India and the rest all in Thailand.in fact it seems very rare for a tourist to commit suicide around the world apart from Thailand.just search tourist suicide and see for yourself.then again maybe all the countries around the world all cover up their statistics on tourists committing suicide while in their countries and Thailand don't.

Just as you never hear about suicide in children, but I recall many years ago a friend of mine did research in that direction for his thesis, and as I recall it was the leading cause of death.

Yes I understand that and know of beach head and of the 80 suicides in 2017 how many were foreign tourists.probably none.i read the uk news quite a lot but never read about tourists leaping from buildings and committing suicide.it would be interesting to know the foreign suicide figures for Vietnam,Cambodia,USA,Australia,Spain.maybe Thailand is keeping it quiet that it is the hub of foreign suicides.maybe a tv member can enlighten us in the matter.

I doubt there are many long term elderly tourists in the UK, they couldn't afford it or would want to suffer the long winters. Thailand attracts many retirees looking for happiness in the final episode of their life and when they despair of finding it some decide to end the search.

2 hours ago, happy chappie said:

If you understood Spanish and read Spanish websites you might.

Many countries rarely report suicide as they don't want to encourage others.

1 hour ago, tingtongtourist said:

well i suppose for a damaged mind it is the quick way you will go for sure.

Not getting saved, then in a worse way like being vegetable or in wheelchair with terrible brain damage.

IMO, they dont firstly choose Thailand to die as such,

but this place a desperate person you can escape your problems and live cheaply without others annoying you.

then enter the wrong Thai lady who cant even realise the signs be the guy in a bad way. just out for all they can get.

so they get sex, first time in years.

affordable smokes and cheap beer probably on top of lots heavy medications.

a perfect human storm.

soon all money will be gone and who wants to go back home broke at that age.

i think could be the reality for some of these.

Good summary.

I'm afraid I'm a bit sceptical on this one as a suicide.  Not that it doesn't happen, but 5th floor just isn't high enough to make certain that you get the job done.  An educated westerner would, IMO, have found a higher building.

6 minutes ago, DefaultName said:

I'm afraid I'm a bit sceptical on this one as a suicide.  Not that it doesn't happen, but 5th floor just isn't high enough to make certain that you get the job done.  An educated westerner would, IMO, have found a higher building.

I agree it would be smarter to jump from higher if you're going to jump, but your theory is off as he had been staying in the same building for a month, and the 5th floor was the roof. So it was convenient. 

1 hour ago, InMyShadow said:

RIP my ass. Not a thought given about people that will be traumatized by blood and brain tissue in this case school kids 

If only he had been as thoughtful and caring as you..

Archived