Dutch pensioner throws himself off fifth floor roof at downtown Hua Hin hotel

webfact

Why would someone eat like a vegetarian and exercise regularly and then suddenly decide to put aside all of the things he has been doing for long term health and well being and suddenly jump to his death. I live on the 26th floor of a condo and the mere thoughts of jumping is gut churning, it doesnt appear to be a nice exit. I just dont get why people suddenly let go of rationale and do this. Terrible for him and the people whk witnessed his body.

5 hours ago, Davmaac said:

If only he had been as thoughtful and caring as you..

Are you OK? It's odd you would defend such wreck less behaviour. I hope your not thinking the same 

The loser is an idiot. What he should have done was taped a garbage bag around his neck and passed in his room and spared those kids the night mares 

1 hour ago, InMyShadow said:

Are you OK? It's odd you would defend such wreck less behaviour. I hope your not thinking the same 

The loser is an idiot. What he should have done was taped a garbage bag around his neck and passed in his room and spared those kids the night mares 

It's odd that you should call a suicide victim a loser and an idiot.  He clearly had mental health problems. 

Do you feel better admonishing the dead for killing themselves in public? 

If so, I think you would benefit by volunteering for someone like the Samaritans and learning what these 'losers' are thinking and feeling before they take that final step.

4 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

you know that's a seriously horrible thing to say. he had to be in a real dark place to decide to do that. some compassion would be nice

On 6/15/2018 at 3:55 PM, Happy enough said:

lots of apartment blocks. personally i think it's real sad for someone to decide to do that. a call to the samaritans could avoid these things. anyway, his choice

I note that TV lists the Samaritans' contact details at the end of each sad article involving suspected suicide and kudos to the team at TV for that. Would be extra nice if they donated a little free advertising space to the Samaritans as part of a community service/public outreach campaign.

Depression is an insidious disease that not only destroys the lives of those affected but also those around them. 

If people were more aware of the resources available to them in their time of need, perhaps we wouldn't have to read about these tragedies as often. 

I suspect there are more cases of depression (farang and Thai alike) that go unreported and untreated than there are those who seek help (from which the Public Health Ministry compiles their statistics). 

He had passed her in the corridor and looked like a man with the weight of the world on his mind.

I bet that this was not coming from a Thai person. 100 baht anybody? RIP, no more great cheese and Vanilla Fla for you. Sad.

On 6/15/2018 at 2:43 PM, happy chappie said:

I just don't understand why so many farang come to Thailand and commit suicide.i very rarely read about people committing suicide in Spain.maybe the odd drunk fella falling from a balcony trying to climb on to another balcony or the odd drowning here and there but never a suicide.also throwing yourself of high or semi high rise buildings can't be the best way to go.in fact it's a horrifying way to go.

not everyone in  life is a "happy chappie"

On 6/15/2018 at 3:50 PM, Happy enough said:

it's nothing to do with thailand. depression and suicide is common everywhere, here it just makes the news for some reason

(1)Relationship loss.  (2) Financial loss, in Thailand sometimes connected to (1), (3) clinical depression, (4) incurable health problems.  All can be common to men holidaying or retiring in a "tropical paradise".  A sad part of life and death here.

19 minutes ago, The Deerhunter said:

(1)Relationship loss.  (2) Financial loss, in Thailand sometimes connected to (1), (3) clinical depression, (4) incurable health problems.  All can be common to men holidaying or retiring in a "tropical paradise".  A sad part of life and death here.

1 & 2 can lead (in some cases) to 3 & 4 if one feels they can no longer manage/control their lives and may turn to substance abuse or other forms of unhealthy behaviour. 

That being said, have a great friend who recently passed afflicted with 1, 2 & 4. But he fought on until his last breath with strength and dignity without complaint despite everything he had gone through and was going through with his medical treatments. He loved life even though it had gone banana shaped. 

Maybe it boils down to mental fortitude? I don't know. 

I have had dark times, but I was pissed off not suicidal. 

Just lived to fight another day. Things always turn around.

But for those who suffer from depression (from my experience), can't see a way out. It is really sad. 

There’s some very good posts on this topic and as my moniker suggests, I first came to Thailand in 1969.

As some contributors have correctly stated, in my opinion, Thailand is a place where you can easily lose yourself if you are from a starched Western country.

The girls (or boys), the party lifestyle and the friendliness of the Thai people can lead you to believe it never ends but when it does a deep loneliness may set it.

From what I’ve seen when things go wrong, they can really go wrong, the money may runout, you’ve been two timed and are afraid to go home or you’ve burned your bridges.

I doubt that anyone would committ suicide if they realised the effects your action has on your surviving family if you still have one and if you don’t, try not to cause too much collateral damage.

See, it’s not really done by the sane. It has to be an act of the irrational  desperados, surely?

But on the surface of it and from the posts maybe Thailand is a danger zone?

On 6/15/2018 at 2:43 PM, happy chappie said:

I just don't understand why so many farang come to Thailand and commit suicide. 

It's quite easy to understand really. They come to Thailand in a last-ditch attempt to improve their lives. When they realize that running away doesn't heal the pain, and Thailand is really no paradise, they end it. He even tried exercise and sunbathing.

I'm a bit surprised he did it from the 5th floor though. He could have survived that and been seriously messed up in hospital.

On 6/15/2018 at 4:30 PM, happy chappie said:

Yes I understand that and know of beach head and of the 80 suicides in 2017 how many were foreign tourists.probably none.i read the uk news quite a lot but never read about tourists leaping from buildings and committing suicide.it would be interesting to know the foreign suicide figures for Vietnam,Cambodia,USA,Australia,Spain.maybe Thailand is keeping it quiet that it is the hub of foreign suicides.maybe a tv member can enlighten us in the matter.

Elderly lonely foreign men come to thailand looking for love or companionship.

Many times due to culture or other issues ( usually age and money ) these relationships  break up and these linely old men get depressed and have lost face. They wont go back home because more often than not ( in their mind) they have burnt their bridges as it were.

You seriously think foreigners may come here to commit suicide???

Ye gods

On 6/15/2018 at 10:38 AM, Jingthing said:

Thailand is an end of the road destination. If it doesn't work out here, then what? Cambodia? Or ... ? 

Right on. Spoken by somebody that has been "around the block" in Thailand.

Mostly affecting those, that have decided to "burn all bridges behind them". How many could still be alive, if they would have maintained a "home-base"?

I know from personal experience that most Farangs, moving permanently to Thailand, tend to "liquidate" everything (including the kitchen sink) back in their home country.
Arriving in Thailand with millions of Bht in their cargo-pants. What can possibly go wrong?

Most arrive with a more or less well thought out retirement-plan. But the best-layed out Retirement-Plans can easily be derailed, if 2 factors come into play:

Ending up with the "wrong" Thai Female or alcoholism (or both).
Can not offer any veryfiable statistics, but I am willing to bet my kitchen sink that those 2 factors are on top of the list that can "derail" any good Retirement-Plan. Nothing revolutionary new, I know.

But my point is (and I insist): Most of them could still be alive, if they would have maintained a final refuge (a home-base). A home-base can function as a silver parachute if things have turned sour in paradise. An escape to Cambodia or Vietnam with a "derailed" Retirement-Plan is a poor alternative to a "home-base".
Cheers.

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 2:43 PM, happy chappie said:

I just don't understand why so many farang come to Thailand and commit suicide.i very rarely read about people committing suicide in Spain.maybe the odd drunk fella falling from a balcony trying to climb on to another balcony or the odd drowning here and there but never a suicide.also throwing yourself of high or semi high rise buildings can't be the best way to go.in fact it's a horrifying way to go.

They don't commit suicide because they came to LOS, they do it because they have to leave it, IMO.

The prospect of going back to the <deleted> <deleted> they came from is enough to make many want to off themselves. 

Otherwise, they may not be able to afford health insurance, and have serious health problems, or their wife may have deprived them of the financial means to remain on their own after a divorce.

I don't think I could do it by jumping, as the chance that I'd kill someone by falling on them is a disincentive, but it's probably the only guaranteed means of actually dying if done from high enough. It's actually quite difficult in LOS to successfully kill oneself, and suicide always has the possibility of surviving, but physically damaged, which would be the worst possible outcome.

Samaritans or similar do a good job, but anyone that wants to talk about it probably doesn't actually want to kill themselves.

On 6/15/2018 at 11:40 AM, Bonobojt said:

he obviously had problems in his life, maybe mental health issues, health problems or both, sometimes health problems can cause mental health problems, which leads to suicidal thoughts. I know because I've been through it myself.

why do it in Thailand ? maybe because its becoming a trend, and for whatever reason, some people like to copycat, or due to mental health issues, people think suicide in Thailand would be a 'cool' way to go, or he just wanted to enjoy some hot weather, thai food, nice beaches, and some thai ladies or whatever before he ended it all.

some people are just not happy in their native countries, and Thailand was the only place that made them happy, so they want to die there too.

Many contributions by you all accross the board. Sooner or later you will have to find out for yourself if a long term stay in a Thai Temple or dewlling on morbid thaughts while staying on holiday in Thailand or exploring the simple life-style of a rice farmer will bring you lasting peace of mind. Eventually you will have to make up your mind.

You go by "bonobo" in this forum. Some forum members may be familiar with the "Livestyle" of Bonobo-Monkeys and their social interactions.
In case you want to duplicate the social-behavior of Bonobo-Monkeys in a Thai Temple to balance-out your "inner-compass", this would not be a good place to go. "Lulu's Bar & Grill" is what I would recommend under these circumstances.

You have displayed your mental-stress manyfold on TVF.

- If your next contribution on TVF should read anything like: "I have met a 75 year old Thai-Lady online but she is afraid of my oversized penis, what should I do"?
Opening such or similar posts in the future will qualify you as the ultimate "Troll" that has gone unpunished so far.
Cheers.

4 hours ago, swissie said:

Right on. Spoken by somebody that has been "around the block" in Thailand.

Mostly affecting those, that have decided to "burn all bridges behind them". How many could still be alive, if they would have maintained a "home-base"?

I know from personal experience that most Farangs, moving permanently to Thailand, tend to "liquidate" everything (including the kitchen sink) back in their home country.
Arriving in Thailand with millions of Bht in their cargo-pants. What can possibly go wrong?

Most arrive with a more or less well thought out retirement-plan. But the best-layed out Retirement-Plans can easily be derailed, if 2 factors come into play:

Ending up with the "wrong" Thai Female or alcoholism (or both).
Can not offer any veryfiable statistics, but I am willing to bet my kitchen sink that those 2 factors are on top of the list that can "derail" any good Retirement-Plan. Nothing revolutionary new, I know.

But my point is (and I insist): Most of them could still be alive, if they would have maintained a final refuge (a home-base). A home-base can function as a silver parachute if things have turned sour in paradise. An escape to Cambodia or Vietnam with a "derailed" Retirement-Plan is a poor alternative to a "home-base".
Cheers.

Everything you say is exactly right.  Even worse I think many don't try to keep links open with friends and family back home.  They throw themselves into their new paradise lifestyle at the expense of their old world then when it all goes wrong they have nothing to go back to.  I have had several family members and a number of friends here to stay with us.  Another advantage I have is my Thai wife lived with me back home for 7-8 years and made friends in my family and other new friends there.  So we have more mixed couples like us coming over here on holiday and my contact with my old home country is preserved.  We even have my old home there rented out but with a tiny granny flat there for us and people who lend us cars if we go back home.  I do not feel cut off by the distance.

2 minutes ago, Ks45672 said:

If I was that age and a vegetarian, I'd have jumped too

I suspect you'll be pushed from a balcony long before you reach his age. 

The post is about someone who committed suicide...going for a cheap laugh says I lot about you, me thinks.

1 minute ago, mgthom63 said:

I suspect you'll be pushed from a balcony long before you reach his age. 

The post is about someone who committed suicide...going for a cheap laugh says I lot about you, me thinks.

Aha, we found another one

What age are you? 67 and a half?

2 hours ago, Ks45672 said:

Aha, we found another one

What age are you? 67 and a half?

Who's the we? And found another what?  Someone who calls you out on your immaturity?

Not even close on the age...the mgthom63 should give you a clue...especially the 63 part.

Can we assume that you're a sad and angry recent or impending divorcee? 

Sorry to hear that, but why make immature and inappropriate smart-ass comments about an elderly suicide victim? 

My advice to you is to move on with your life and not be so bitter about your failed relationship. S**t happens.

Just out of interest, did you lose him/her to an older guy? That, at least, would partly explain why you felt it necessary to deride his age.

7 hours ago, swissie said:

This guy was 67, how much longer do you think he could have lived?

He chose to leave this world, I respect his choice.

Life as an old man isn't all that much fun.

Better to choose your own time to go.

Someone posted jumping off a building isn't a nice exit, how about living in a care home and walking with a Zimmer frame for the last 10 years of your life, while losing your mind to dementia?

That's how four of my close relatives ended their lives, jumping seems a good choice to me.

8 hours ago, swissie said:

Many contributions by you all accross the board. Sooner or later you will have to find out for yourself if a long term stay in a Thai Temple or dewlling on morbid thaughts while staying on holiday in Thailand or exploring the simple life-style of a rice farmer will bring you lasting peace of mind. Eventually you will have to make up your mind.

You go by "bonobo" in this forum. Some forum members may be familiar with the "Livestyle" of Bonobo-Monkeys and their social interactions.
In case you want to duplicate the social-behavior of Bonobo-Monkeys in a Thai Temple to balance-out your "inner-compass", this would not be a good place to go. "Lulu's Bar & Grill" is what I would recommend under these circumstances.

You have displayed your mental-stress manyfold on TVF.

- If your next contribution on TVF should read anything like: "I have met a 75 year old Thai-Lady online but she is afraid of my oversized penis, what should I do"?
Opening such or similar posts in the future will qualify you as the ultimate "Troll" that has gone unpunished so far.
Cheers.

Bonobo's are apes not monkeys, come on, get it right, there our relatives 

I'm well aware of Bonobo's behavior, they eat mostly vegetarian, and they have lots of sex, which is why its my favorite animal, what a great lifestyle to have.

I'm not a troll but how can I prove that ? people can just believe what they want, never judge a book by its cover though.

I'm a hypochondriac, easily panicked when it comes to health problems, hence the excessive posts on the health forum, and I really do have Tinnitus, bad posture and a pelvic problem which has screwed me up mentally and physically.

I'll probably end up like this Dutch guy, but I'm not 100% sure what I'll do yet, suicide is easier said than done. 

Hello,

Whatever the reasons why this retiree chose to leave this world precipitately. It was his choice, but sad for those around him.
  His end of life must have been very tormented.
Maybe let him rest
in peace now.

Archived