How can schools keep farangs from leaving?

puukao

1 hour ago, duanebigsby said:

The answer is continuity.

When the foreigner stays several years it provides stability and continuity of their lesson plans, relationship with students, and relationship with fellow teachers and administration.

The revolving door of teachers is a chaotic mess and the students go back to step one with every new teacher.

I agree. But are schools willing to provide an atmosphere that keeps teachers around for years? From my experience, they are not.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One good way is start calling them Foreigners and not Farangs

Using derogatory names is rasist 

I find it amusing you want too keep them at your school yet you use this term 

Try what you expect and that is some respect 

I'm sure it's not only money, because a "bad life" won't be a "good life" if a farang is paid 45,000 instead of 30,000.  He/She might be happier on pay day, or for the short-term, but not in the long term.  I've seen this too many times.  The farang usually just buys more stuff, and the extra 100,000 + saved over one year isn't enough to jump up and down.  Let's be honest, you need MILLIONS AND MILLIONS to retire.  We all know this.  And 100,000 back in the UK won't exactly let you relax for a long time.  

Also, some teachers think your 5-year old student will become fluent in English in three weeks, when nobody at the school can speak one complete sentence.

it's such a weird job.....5555

1 minute ago, WHYWHY said:

Not this again?

Ferang isn't derogatory unless it's said in a derogatory manner.

1 minute ago, WHYWHY said:

I totally disagree.  I am NEVER offended when I hear Farang, and I've heard it over 100 billion times.

Good luck getting rid of that word...

I'm sure 90% of people on here are NOT offended by the way I use farang on here.

OK, so you are at school and you hear, "farang" from a parent..... do you complain??????   lol

9 minutes ago, WHYWHY said:

What does it matter if a Thai calls you farang?

Many times i am called farang, so what.

Locally i am known as farang wheels, nothing bad about that.

11 minutes ago, puukao said:

I'm sure it's not only money, because a "bad life" won't be a "good life" if a farang is paid 45,000 instead of 30,000.  He/She might be happier on pay day, or for the short-term, but not in the long term.  I've seen this too many times.  The farang usually just buys more stuff, and the extra 100,000 + saved over one year isn't enough to jump up and down.  Let's be honest, you need MILLIONS AND MILLIONS to retire.  We all know this.  And 100,000 back in the UK won't exactly let you relax for a long time.  

Also, some teachers think your 5-year old student will become fluent in English in three weeks, when nobody at the school can speak one complete sentence.

it's such a weird job.....5555

Incoherent rant. What was the purpose of this?

Makes no sense whatsoever.

3 minutes ago, colinneil said:

What does it matter if a Thai calls you farang?

Many times i am called farang, so what.

Locally i am known as farang wheels, nothing bad about that.

Reminded me of the Paul McCartney tune "Helen Wheels"

Colin you are Hell On/Farang On Wheels.

Hope the village situation turns out for you.

1 hour ago, grkt said:

and what about other languages ? are they taught by Chinese ? French ? Spanish people ? Or few schools actually teach anything but English ?

Why the hell would they ever be taught French or Spanish in Thailand?

Yes, they are taught science, maths, English, health and PE, social studies. etc. All the schools teach all the subjects not just English.

The main thing is a reasonable salary (commensurate with experience and qualifications) and conditions, and admin who listens and responds to teacher's concerns. High salaries may attract more applicants but it won't guarantee they will stay at a school for a long period. Many teachers at my school have been here between 10 and 16 years. There is a lot of work to do, but it gets easier with time. 

Many teachers come for a gap year / working holiday and are not so interested in teaching. They generally cause problems at work and don't stay long (or are fired). All long-term teachers usually have a full teaching licence, and are thus paid accordingly. They tend to not change schools often as they have settled down and may have a family to think of. 

Reminded me of the Paul McCartney tune "Helen Wheels"
Colin you are Hell On/Farang On Wheels.
Hope the village situation turns out for you.

Named after his crumby Land Rover Defender in Scotland.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not this again?

Ferang isn't derogatory unless it's said in a derogatory manner.

Is Farang Dam OK when Thais are referring  to black people as I'm sure if in the UK I said, oh,  there is that black foreigner again,  it would be viewed as distasteful 

2 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Perhaps slowing down the raids and deportations against illegals may help to keep the farang students or their farang teachers in town ? :whistling:

Very strange comment.

Your suggesting that it's good to allow illegal people to stay and work?

Would you support that same policy in your own country. would you be quite OK with strangers coming into your country and staying illegally?

If you answer yes then we can assume you have no respect for the safety et ., of your own fellow citizens.  

Why the hell would they ever be taught French or Spanish in Thailand?

Yes, they are taught science, maths, English, health and PE, social studies. etc. All the schools teach all the subjects not just English.

Anyway, as they understand nothing and have no interest in anything, easy to teach them useless things !

1 hour ago, grkt said:

Anyway, as they understand nothing and have no interest in anything, easy to teach them useless things !

You b1tch, complain, and whine about how s@tty Thai schools are and then suggest there's no point because Thais are incapable of learning anything. What utter, racist drivel!

1 hour ago, baansgr said:

Is Farang Dam OK when Thais are referring  to black people as I'm sure if in the UK I said, oh,  there is that black foreigner again,  it would be viewed as distasteful 

Different worlds, different people, different reaction. If you want to feel disrespected or insulted by the word farang go ahead. It's your life. Go ahead be angry at Thais for the rest of your stay.

55 minutes ago, duanebigsby said:

Different worlds, different people, different reaction. If you want to feel disrespected or insulted by the word farang go ahead. It's your life. Go ahead be angry at Thais for the rest of your stay.

In no way am I angry, I'm reasonably happy in Thailand although probably  would move on if I didn't have commitments  here. I'm just interested as in why some people feel it's OK for Thais to say something that almost anywhere  else in the world would be regarded as offensive. We are all livig in the same world and are all the same people, that isn't an excuse. 

11 minutes ago, baansgr said:

In no way am I angry, I'm reasonably happy in Thailand although probably  would move on if I didn't have commitments  here. I'm just interested as in why some people feel it's OK for Thais to say something that almost anywhere  else in the world would be regarded as offensive. We are all livig in the same world and are all the same people, that isn't an excuse. 

I disagree it would be taken as an insult elsewhere. It just means foreigner and we are foreigners.

Anywhere else in the world has no bearing here. It's not an insult here so no need to drag your Western perspective onto the word. Be offended if you like, up to you. I'm not.

Very trollish, but I'll bite.

1 Fire all the shitty, weak, ineffectual, tardy, go home early teachers. This alone will be a breath of fresh air. Just not have to be around the incompetence, laziness. It's like working with people who would be back at home making the same money.

2. Scaffolded mentoring with other westerners, especially foreign teachers from international schools.

3 Assistance with understanding and writing crack lesson plans, keying on learning objectives and outcomes.

4 Child psychology 

5 How to create and realize true learning environment.

6 Fiber in every school. Tablets.

7 Setup for G-classroom, top half dozen EdTech webapps and US200 for addl apps.

8 All extracurriculars measured and allocated by hours, divided evenly with some of it paid.

9 Max 18 hours a week. 3 hours per class. Max two courses.

10 Select your own books

11 25k completion bonus. That's means paid in full for finishing.

12 Bonuses for doing more: teaching special classes, correcting Thai, foreigners exams. Writing special packets of materials

13 Comp days off for over and above hours worked

14 Real money. We should be adding value to ourselves at a rate of 5k per year to 60-70 depending on license, grad degree or diploma.

15 Working computers, printers

16 Multi year contract

17 Bonus for req to be on campus before 730

18 Professional seminar, training $$

19 All western staff

20 New, fresh path to licencing

21 Real coffee - free

22 Teaching only speaking courses, let the Thai handle the balance

23 No weekend classes

24 Any serious work on weekends, return to school, do it. Get paid.

25 Lots of hot new uni grad teachers and admins

26 Ability to leave any school at term break, with six weeks notice.

27 Allow six years unlimited movement between schools but  if you leave before eoy, you cannot work until following year.

28 Better tax and financial accountability.

29 Proper health care

30 Aircon, LCD and if broken, repaired in 48 hours.

2 hours ago, duanebigsby said:

I disagree it would be taken as an insult elsewhere. It just means foreigner and we are foreigners.

Anywhere else in the world has no bearing here. It's not an insult here so no need to drag your Western perspective onto the word. Be offended if you like, up to you. I'm not.

I am inclined to agree but in this context they could at least say khru farang. Most Thai teachers call me ajarn and I am honored, but I overheard one older teacher, outside the department call me farang and it bothered me.

It can be condescending. In the case she used it - it was not, but I wasn't happy.

It does mean foreigner, but context is everything isn't it.

7 hours ago, scorecard said:

Very strange comment.

Your suggesting that it's good to allow illegal people to stay and work?

Would you support that same policy in your own country. would you be quite OK with strangers coming into your country and staying illegally?

If you answer yes then we can assume you have no respect for the safety et ., of your own fellow citizens.  

relax my dear Chap....it was ironic....

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thats quite a statement... well not really, its more a comment of a bottom feeder who fails to see beyond their own flawed horizons and judges the world by the same standards they themselves expect to be judged...:whistling:

I'm sure the professional foreign men and women at my son's school and many other good schools may disagree, as a parent I certainly do.

OK, point accepted, but please remember that many parents have had negative experiences with unqualified lazy farang teaching their kids, and at upper priced and high priced schools.

Just one example, upper priced bilingual school, primary class (not 100% sure of level), near the end of the day the very young American female teacher comes out of the room and walks straight to group of fathers sitting outside waiting for their kids.

She gives no greeting, just says 'I'm the maths teacher, tomorrow I have to start teaching long division but I don't know how to do it, can someone here quickly teach me?'

The same group of parents tried to speak to the owner / headmistress, she refused to speak to them, further attempts to speak to deputy headmistress and more all completely ignored, nothing happened, the situation just continued but the word spread, at the end of the year there was quite an exit of kids being moved to other schools. Nobody from the original school spoke to any parents to ask 'why is your son/daughter not enrolled for next year?'

Normally, professional and committed teachers stay until the end of their contracts.

Fickle here-for-the-women/beer 'teachers' break their contracts at the drop of a hat. They lie about the reason for leaving but it's nearly always something to do with them being trash.

13 hours ago, baansgr said:

I'll jump on this one , even though the thread is about teaching

I would say it's an ok word - What are they suppose to say " Foreigner " , but they can't speak English, so Farang is the same in their language

They certainly don't know you nationality 

Maybe they can guess & say your Canadian, but your actually American 5555

I would be more insulted by what Immigration call us " ALIENS " - Now that would be interesting to see if any other country call their Visitors that

11 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Very silly. Actually 2 years experience working overseas is good for the CV. However, stay too long and one might be stuck in a never-ending low-paid TEFL rut. Not recommended. As for Thai schools encouraging overseas staff not to leave, well good luck with that. Unless there is a career path (which for many there isn't) better to move around, either institution or country, but keep that minimum 2 year gig or you start to look flighty.

Actually 2 years overseas would do more harm to your CV, especially if spent in a third world country with no verifiable references or experience at a school that’s education standards fall bellow a western world standard.

ever wonder why a doctor trained in Thailand can’t walk in an get a job in a hospital in a western country yet a doctor trained in Australia can go work in a hospital in Italy or the USA?

Archived