Internet Romance Scam

234872_1469957439

A Thai friend of mine has been writing to a guy for four months.  This morning she sent me some of the latest messages - as she'd got a little suspicious.  I knew it was a scam straight away.  The question is... what can she do at this stage to protect herself?

He claims that he's sending her a parcel containing valuable gifts.  When she confirms receipt of the parcel - he will give her details of his flight... so she can wait for him at the airport.

He will hand the parcel over the freight courier services (f.c.s).

He has asked for her personal details... name passport number, address etc.  Unfortunately - she didn't smell a rat quickly enough, and gave him all of this - but she doesn't have a passport... so she showed him her Thai ID card.

(Presumably... the sting will come when she needs to pay "taxes" to receive the parcel... and fake f.c.s. will contact her?  or maybe she needs to bail him out being "detained" at the airport)

Anyway - what is her next step now?  How much damage is already done now he has her personal details?

• Sad 1

Defo contact the police. These parcels usually contain porcelain products filled with drugs. If customs dont pick the scent and she receives them he gets them for free but if customs get wind of the drugs she gets the wrap for them !

p.s.  the excuse 'i didn't know what they were' rarely works.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, reargunnerph3 said:

Report a scam to the Police.

Assuming it is a scam, and the OP portrays it as such (certainly red flags), I agree, involve the authorities.

They will know all the angles, she could even be being groomed for something bigger down the road after the

first "innocent" encounter.

Edited by expat_4_life
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, reargunnerph3 said:

Report a scam to the Police.

I think we may have nipped this in the bud.  After I talked to her - she called him out on his bullshit and demanded they video call so he would show his face.  She ended up with a voice call - and she says his English wasn't too good.  (Nigerian?).  Then she blocked him.

I don't think any parcels had been dispatched yet - but I'll check.

The Thai Police?  I thought the policy was never to involve them in anything if you can help it.  As they will only try and exploit the situation for their own financial gain.  But that's probably only as a foreigner .... Ok, I'll suggest she talks to the police.

Edited by 234872_1469957439
  • Like 2

Firstly well done for helping this lady withdraw from what might have been a very dangerous situation.

And kudos to her for listening to your good advice and getting out.

Regarding the parcel - who cares? The scammer may have sent it but he's lost it and that in itself serves him right!

But a further thought occurs to me, and I'm not an expert so it's just my thinking.

The lady's ID card may have been compromised by her giving the details over.

Would it be both possible and sensible for her to get that card cancelled and a new one issued?

I have no idea what the mechanism would be for this but I do know that any sort of government-issued ID document is valuable "currency" to unscrupulous scammers the world over.

IMO, she should not say it has been stolen because it could be shown that she herself sent it to the scammer - that sort of a lie could backfire and make her look guilty of a crime which clearly she is not.

Hopefully someone here will have the knowledge on how to get this done - despite negative opinion of Thai law enforcement, involving them voluntarily might, in this case be wise.

• Like 1

Don't play games with these people. They know her & where she lives. She only knows what they've told her. Had a friend with identical setup. Supposed to be a white fallang in the oil business who was going to move to Thailand, buy a house yada yada in Nigerian English with profile pics from linked in & facebook.

• Like 1

Just move on. We had a similar situation. Even got the Bangkok Bank account the scammers were using for the victims to transfer the ‘duty’ for the parcel to be cleared. Found bank account owner’s Facebook and pictures of her with the African dudes. Contacted the Cybercrime Suppression unit who said since  the woman had sent no money there was no crime to pursue. Eventual a YouTube video describing the scam with a phone number of some police officer to report to was found. Not worth the hassle to report to police who don’t want to hear about it.

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/nigerian-thai-scammers-con-thai-women-out-thb20-million-posing-farang-bachelors/

Edited by yosithezet

A “Prince” ? must be involve with this case. Many  “Prince” recently get arrested everyday in Thailand.

Report the whole story to police before she become a partner in an illegal act. 

Edited by The Theory

15 hours ago, 234872_1469957439 said:

I think we may have nipped this in the bud.  After I talked to her - she called him out on his bullshit and demanded they video call so he would show his face.  She ended up with a voice call - and she says his English wasn't too good.  (Nigerian?).  

The official language in Nigeria is English.

• 1 month later...

The best thing she can do is to report to police for any further problems. Police can help her to set a trap for delivery guy who would be fake. He would probably say the value of parcel is x amount and you must pay x amount for tax etc.

On 8/3/2018 at 11:26 PM, Huckenfell said:

I have been suspended from Thai Visa for several months now. So how is it that my name HUCKENFELL  is being used ?

Sorry  my mistake but i do not know how i could have posted on a romance scam. Not me.

9 minutes ago, Huckenfell said:

Sorry  my mistake but i do not know how i could have posted on a romance scam. Not me.

You seem to have transposed the H and the F on your user name. Are you from Nigeria by any chance?

On 6/16/2018 at 2:47 PM, 234872_1469957439 said:

I think we may have nipped this in the bud.  After I talked to her - she called him out on his bullshit and demanded they video call so he would show his face.  She ended up with a voice call - and she says his English wasn't too good.  (Nigerian?).  Then she blocked him.

I don't think any parcels had been dispatched yet - but I'll check.

The Thai Police?  I thought the policy was never to involve them in anything if you can help it.  As they will only try and exploit the situation for their own financial gain.  But that's probably only as a foreigner .... Ok, I'll suggest she talks to the police.

Best move to block this idiot. But I'd still give the contact details to the cops and let them check what this freak's doing with others. You and your friend could help a few others not to get scammed. Pretty obvious that it's a Nigerian, but also Filipinos have started such scams and seem to be very good at it. 

https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2017/03/07/nigerians-and-a-filipino-woman-among-10-detained-over-love-scam/

On 6/16/2018 at 11:59 PM, FritsSikkink said:

The official language in Nigeria is English.

But they speak it differently so the poster was not referring to the language, Nigerian, no such language, but the nationality of the speaker- Nigerian.

• 2 weeks later...

Some of these scammers can be very convincing...especially when the victim is older, lonely, and basically desperate to "believe." 

[Tony built trust with Jan by giving her the password to his supposed checking account and then asked her to “help me make the transfer” to pay for multiple business transactions.

The fake checking account had more than $700,000 in it, leading Jan to believe her online boyfriend was already very wealthy.

Then a manufactured moment of crisis propelled Jan toward what she admits were a series of bad decisions.

Tony said his business bank account has been frozen because of the activity from her computer and IP address.]

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/9-investigates/charlotte-woman-loses-thousands-in-online-dating-scam/699974526

This lady was about to kill her own mother so she can keep paying the scammer....

https://wlos.com/news/local/police-online-love-scam-leads-investigators-to-north-carolina-killing-plot

There are Thai women who are vulnerable and have the same profile, i.e., older, lonely, and desperate to believe.  Easy pickins for the scrupulous.