16 Year-old Coming From US to Thailand

Unify

I'd like my 16 year-old American son to come visit me this summer, from the US.

There are no direct flights, so he'll have to come through Taipei, or Seoul, of somewhere, and change planes.

I'll meet him once he gets to Thailand. He's able to navigate, and a smart kid. I'm not worried about him. Are there any things I need to worry about in terms of going through customs or immigration either in Thailand, or his layover?

Thanks.

I don't think that there's anything to worry about when traveling. Just don't let him drive to Ko Phangan, it's too obvious that too many youngsters there are taking drugs and some of them end up in jail. 

You might give your son a little lesson on Thai girls before he arrives. 

I think his question was more on the lines about whether a minor traveling solo is going to get any special negative attention at immigration at BKK. It's an interesting question. Never heard it asked before. 
I'm assuming no problem at age 16. 

A young child could be different. 

If paranoid, I would call the airline. 

As far as the layover you just go through security screening there, no immigration issues, so hard to imagine any issue there.

Passengers changing planes in international airports are restricted to a transit lounge area, and not permitted to enter the transit country unless they have the appropriate visa etc.  I was once confined to a transit lounge in Taipei for several hours.  I will leave the other questions to those with direct experience. 

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

I think his question was more on the lines about whether a minor traveling solo is going to get any special negative attention at immigration at BKK. It's an interesting question. Never heard it asked before. 
I'm assuming no problem. 

I agree, but truly believe that it's important to think about it before anything happens. Kids do stupid things from time to time. Older people included. 

35 minutes ago, Unify said:

Are there any things I need to worry about in terms of going through customs or immigration either in Thailand, or his layover?

For transit not a problem but for Thailand I would suggest he have a notarized statement saying he has parental consent to travel.

Not likely to be a problem but Thailand in some cases requires parental consent for many things if under the age of 20.

For example there is this on the embassy website if applying for a tourist visa.

"8. For minor under 20 years old, please provide following documents
 Notarized copy of a birth certificate
 Notarized copy of marriage certificate , In case of sole custody notarized copy of court order must be provided.
 Notarized copy or original passports or ID of mother and father/ legal guardian
 Original letter of notarized consent for the minor to travel abroad from mother and father/ legal guardian"

Source: http://thaiembdc.org/consular-services/tourist-visas/category-tr/

49 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

I agree, but truly believe that it's important to think about it before anything happens. Kids do stupid things from time to time. Older people included. 

I'll be with him 24/7 while he's here, although maybe I could use some lessons on not doing stupid things.

He'll likely be coming into CNX.

17 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I'm assuming no problem at age 16. 

A young child could be different. 

As far as the layover you just go through security screening there, no immigration issues, so hard to imagine any issue there.

Perhaps he's already well familiar with not getting into detailed conversations with other foreign travellers who may be looking for naive kids to put drugs in their backpack, steal their money, tell people they are overweight in the luggage allowance and ask if they can put some clothes, books whatever in his bags, etc. 

If not I would reinforce this point and explain it to him in detail, and reinforce that 99% of drug pushers / carriers look like the people next door and many have had training to convince you they are genuine nice people.

What US airport will he depart from?  I have flown from LAX on AA thru Japan, China Southern thru Guangzhou and Hong Kong Airlines thru Hong Kong. Always at least a 1-1/2 to 3-hour layover for the connecting flight. At Guangzhou, you pass thru immigration for passport check.   At Hong Kong, you go from the arrival gate to the departure gate security checkpoint without going thru immigration.  Hong Kong airport was by far the easiest and quickest to navigate. Also, the flight service on Hong Kong Airlines was very good and the fare economical.

Others have mentioned transiting in the airport at the first stop.  Reinforce that he should not exit the secure area and that he must remain in the transit area.  If he travels via Tokyo, he will have to go through a security check point, not immigration...just security...before he moves to the airline gate area.  Maybe the same in other airports, not sure.

Make sure your son has your phone number and address ( address for immigration). Phone number just in case there is a delay ( he can ways ask someone to use their phone/ older people understand this dilemma). 

As someone said, Thai authority is more strict on such documents as: birth certificate, consent from both parents, parents' identification, etc. This is because of (a) prevention of human trafficking and (b) disputes on custodianship. A 16-years old American boy may not look like a victim of these and you may not think in these terms, but the law is the law and the immigration officer may apply them strictly. My Thai wife always has to prepare these to take her niece with her on international flights, and many have a problem when the other part of the marriage is not cooperative. If divorced and no way to get her produce required documents, I suggest the proof of custodianship. 

On 6/16/2018 at 5:58 PM, jenny2017 said:

I don't think that there's anything to worry about when traveling. Just don't let him drive to Ko Phangan, it's too obvious that too many youngsters there are taking drugs and some of them end up in jail. 

You might give your son a little lesson on Thai girls before he arrives. 

Yes he certainly wont have to pay the girls!. He can't drive to Koh Pangan. It's and Island!

On 6/17/2018 at 1:03 PM, Tracyb said:

Others have mentioned transiting in the airport at the first stop.  Reinforce that he should not exit the secure area and that he must remain in the transit area.  If he travels via Tokyo, he will have to go through a security check point, not immigration...just security...before he moves to the airline gate area.  Maybe the same in other airports, not sure.

Hong Kong airport and Incheon airport are same; go thru security again.  I took a US flight thru Switzerland and there was no going thru security for my connecting flight to BKK.

23 minutes ago, IAMHERE said:

Hong Kong airport and Incheon airport are same; go thru security again.  I took a US flight thru Switzerland and there was no going thru security for my connecting flight to BKK.

That was because your flight originated from the US.  It won't happen if your flight originates from terrorist watchlist countries.  If you fly from LAX to BKK with a connecting flight in Guangzhou, you don't pass thru airport security, but passport control. 

On 6/17/2018 at 12:53 PM, tweedledee2 said:

What US airport will he depart from?  I have flown from LAX on AA thru Japan, China Southern thru Guangzhou and Hong Kong Airlines thru Hong Kong. Always at least a 1-1/2 to 3-hour layover for the connecting flight. At Guangzhou, you pass thru immigration for passport check.   At Hong Kong, you go from the arrival gate to the departure gate security checkpoint without going thru immigration.  Hong Kong airport was by far the easiest and quickest to navigate. Also, the flight service on Hong Kong Airlines was very good and the fare economical.

Thanks for the info,

He'll be leaving from SeaTac. I'll take a look at Hong Kong airlines.

On 6/18/2018 at 11:44 PM, Lancashirelad said:

You need to check with the airline concerned for their policy re a 16 year old travelling alone.

Yes, the airline web pages are maddeningly non-specific about this age group. I don't know which airline yet, I was hoping to find someone with some specific pointers.

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 5:03 PM, allane said:

Passengers changing planes in international airports are restricted to a transit lounge area, and not permitted to enter the transit country unless they have the appropriate visa etc.  I was once confined to a transit lounge in Taipei for several hours.  I will leave the other questions to those with direct experience. 

Good idea to take a book.

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 4:46 PM, Unify said:

Yes, the airline web pages are maddeningly non-specific about this age group. I don't know which airline yet, I was hoping to find someone with some specific pointers.

I remember reading that airlines have an ability to take special care of young people, but the extra care has to be paid for. Check with the airline.

Make sure the child knows what to do if the person meeting him is delayed. I flew alone at 12 years old and my father was delayed, which was a problem. 

Archived