VAR catastrophe

smokie36

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, RonniePickering22 said:
Terrible decision.

Surely its time to abandon this broken idea??

Which match? So far it seems to be working well. All the decisions in the France match were justified, but maybe I've missed the <deleted>.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Yes, the lack of consistency of when VAR is used is something they need to sort out. That said, both decisions, in the France/Aus match and Arg/Iceland were correct.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Well only your opinion, as you are entitled to, but if you calculated the number of football pundits, who are paid for their knowledge and unbiased opinions it resulted in a very  mixed reaction. Risden the defender made a very slight touch on the ball .Once sliding on his back he had no control over the direction his legs would take. Griezman made contact with the trailing leg causing him to go to ground.Risden confirmed post match he made a slight contact with the ball.

The referee was in an excellent position to make a judgement resulting in him playing on.We don't know whether he got a message through his earphone to look at the VAR.To be a penalty the referee must be 100% sure, the VAR apparently convinced him .I dont have a problem with that if he didnt have a clear view of the incident at the time but he did.

As Jellydog pointed out the foul on Pavon in the Iceland game was not even reviewed so we get back to inconsistency which VAR was suposed to solve.

Australia, a team that is regarded with some scorn by many, deserved a point .France were poor IMO. The CB's for Australia were outstanding,Mooy was voted by many as MOM.I know the 10,000 Australians that made the trip were pretty shattered but would be very proud of their teams effort.

You're off your rocker Ronnie. The decision's that have been reviewed thus far, have been correct and just as important, they have been quick. Hardly noticed a delay and it is improving all the time. Don't know why the incident Jelly mentioned wasn't reviewed but I can't see why VAR is blamed when it didn't even go to VAR. Oh wait a minute, you must be blaming the ref's decision, which is what VAR is trying to help out with. The anti VAR brigade will criticize every incident against VAR and then moan when a ref get's it wrong. Look how much goal line tech is totally accepted now, nobody argues if the ball was over or not as it showed with Pogba. Full VAR is Work-in-progress guys, work-in-progress.

2 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

You're off your rocker Ronnie. The decision's that have been reviewed thus far, have been correct and just as important, they have been quick. Hardly noticed a delay and it is improving all the time. Don't know why the incident Jelly mentioned wasn't reviewed but I can't see why VAR is blamed when it didn't even go to VAR. Oh wait a minute, you must be blaming the ref's decision, which is what VAR is trying to help out with. The anti VAR brigade will criticize every incident against VAR and then moan when a ref get's it wrong. Look how much goal line tech is totally accepted now, nobody argues if the ball was over or not as it showed with Pogba. Full VAR is Work-in-progress guys, work-in-progress.

Nonsense . Dump it

.. slows play down and already its a disaster in one decision. Either use it in every penalty or drop it 

8 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

Nonsense . Dump it

.. slows play down and already its a disaster in one decision. Either use it in every penalty or drop it 

"Nonsense" is in your opinion but not in mine.

Funny how you say "dump it" and then go on to say "either use it in very penalty or drop it". Bit of a mixed view there. You also have to remember, VAR was never intended to totally take over from the ref, it's just to "assist".

And the "it slows down play" bit is getting a bit old now. It's improving all the time and the stoppages were hardly noticed

28 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

The failure to use VAR for the Ozzie incident cost them the point and me endless earache. ?

Yes I am off me rocker thanks for the reminder.

I don't see how a ref running half the pitch to a single tv to have a peek can make the best decision in 5 secs.

Impossible.

6 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

"Nonsense" is in your opinion but not in mine.

Funny how you say "dump it" and then go on to say "either use it in very penalty or drop it". Bit of a mixed view there. You also have to remember, VAR was never intended to totally take over from the ref, it's just to "assist".

And the "it slows down play" bit is getting a bit old now. It's improving all the time and the stoppages were hardly noticed

There will be countless times the ref thinks he saw something when there was nothing and visa versa. 

And then you will be saying but but why didn't he use assist? 

It's a sloppy system! Either use it for every penalty or dump it. I prefer dump but it's not my choice 

If they are going to keep then take it out of the refs hand and have 2 refs off field view it and let the ref know via earpiece or a big sign like they do in ozzie rugby. Much quicker than having the ref running of the field 

1 minute ago, InMyShadow said:

There will be countless times the ref thinks he saw something when there was nothing and visa versa. 

And then you will be saying but but why didn't he use assist? 

It's a sloppy system! Either use it for every penalty or dump it. I prefer dump but it's not my choice 

If they are going to keep then take it out of the refs hand and have 2 refs off field view it and let the ref know via earpiece or a big sign like they do in ozzie rugby. Much quicker than having the ref running of the field 

Exactly...the current system just looks amateurish.

47 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

Well only your opinion, as you are entitled to, but if you calculated the number of football pundits, who are paid for their knowledge and unbiased opinions it resulted in a very  mixed reaction. Risden the defender made a very slight touch on the ball .Once sliding on his back he had no control over the direction his legs would take. Griezman made contact with the trailing leg causing him to go to ground.Risden confirmed post match he made a slight contact with the ball.

The referee was in an excellent position to make a judgement resulting in him playing on.We don't know whether he got a message through his earphone to look at the VAR.To be a penalty the referee must be 100% sure, the VAR apparently convinced him .I dont have a problem with that if he didnt have a clear view of the incident at the time but he did.

As Jellydog pointed out the foul on Pavon in the Iceland game was not even reviewed so we get back to inconsistency which VAR was suposed to solve.

Australia, a team that is regarded with some scorn by many, deserved a point .France were poor IMO. The CB's for Australia were outstanding,Mooy was voted by many as MOM.I know the 10,000 Australians that made the trip were pretty shattered but would be very proud of their teams effort.

VAR is there to assist the REF, nowhere does it say that you can't use VAR if you have a clear view, and having a clear view doesn't mean that you are at the correct angle to see what happened, i would have an ex ref would have known that, anyway perhaps the ref wanted to be 100% sure of the decision, it certainly wasn't obvious on TV was it ?  

In later years, it will be a quiz question:

Q: "When was the first time at the World Cup when a referee made the right decision, was told to review it on VAR, and changed his call to the wrong decision."

A: Andres Cunha, France v Australia 2018.

Surely, as in other sports, there shouldn't be an over-rule unless a clear error is demonstrated, and this one looked decidedly unclear.

There was a much clearer incident in Denmark v Peru, where a Danish defender took out one of the Peruvians from behind, which wasn't even reviewed. And why wasn't Samuel Umtiti booked for a deliberate handball?

VAR doesn't remove bad decisions, it just changes the responsibility for where the decisions are made.

2 minutes ago, RickBradford said:

Q: "When was the first time at the World Cup when a referee made the right decision, was told to review it on VAR, and changed his call to the wrong decision."

Surely, as in other sports, there shouldn't be an over-rule unless a clear error is demonstrated, and this one looked decidedly unclear.

There was a much clearer incident in Denmark v Peru, where a Danish defender took out one of the Peruvians from behind, which wasn't even reviewed. And why wasn't Samuel Umtiti booked for a deliberate handball?

VAR doesn't remove bad decisions, it just changes the responsibility for where the decisions are made.

No it doesn't, the ultimate decision still lye's with the ref the same as it always has.

4 minutes ago, RickBradford said:

In your opinion !

8 minutes ago, RickBradford said:

Yep the French penalty at best should have fallen under the to hard to call category so no penalty. 

17 minutes ago, alfieconn said:

No it doesn't, the ultimate decision still lye's with the ref the same as it always has.

The ultimate decision still lies with the ref, certainly.

Technically, though, the locus of responsibility has shifted to somewhere along the straight line joining the ref to the VAR studio.

If the VAR dude hadn't intervened, France wouldn't have got a chance at a penalty. And I think almost everyone expected the ref to change his mind, even though it was a contentious call.

I don't know whether there is a formal rule in place for the referee to make a decision - as  I mentioned, some sports require a 'clear error' for an overrule.

5 hours ago, Sparkles said:

Mooy...my wife and kids giggle every time they hear his name.

2 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

VAR proving its worth in the Korea/Sweden game just finished.

Totally agree but the luddites will never yield. ?

The ref had waved that on, as he didn't see the touch and without VAR, the right decision wouldn't have been made. 

15 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

Totally agree but the luddites will never yield. ?

The ref had waved that on, as he didn't see the touch and without VAR, the right decision wouldn't have been made. 

your very biased v.a.r. views                        will come back and bite your backside   big time.  just a  matter of time 

Archived