VAR catastrophe

smokie36

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

? I knew it'd grow on you if you gave it time jelly ?

When VAR is good its very good and when its bad...you know the rest MrB. I can live with it but I'm not yet an advocate. It'll prevent some injustices at times and other times it won't. Yet to be seen whether or not the good outweighs the bad. I do hope the proponents of it don't get carried away and cause VAR to be more and more intrusive, with more stoppages, etc. It was a bit of a mess in Italy this past season, but then maybe to be expected in Italy.

I must say it was glorious on replay to see that ball nick off the German defender's leg.:laugh:

Early days as you have mentioned.:thumbsup:

3 hours ago, keithsimmonds said:

Joachim Low

Oh he can't say that now because on Tuesday he was totally for VAR

Low fully supports use of VAR at World Cup

Germany head coach Joachim Low said on Tuesday that he fully supports the of a video assistant referee (VAR) system at the World Cup.

"I fully support VAR and I think it works really well at this tournament. [The system] is essential to keep the authority of a referee on the pitch unquestioned. I fully support this system it really works," Low said.

Defending champions Germany are currently second in their group behind Mexico and will play South Korean in their final Group F match on Wednesday.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com.au/feature/low-fully-supports-use-of-var-at-world-cup-495736

1 hour ago, jellydog said:

When VAR is good its very good and when its bad...you know the rest MrB. I can live with it but I'm not yet an advocate. It'll prevent some injustices at times and other times it won't. Yet to be seen whether or not the good outweighs the bad. I do hope the proponents of it don't get carried away and cause VAR to be more and more intrusive, with more stoppages, etc. It was a bit of a mess in Italy this past season, but then maybe to be expected in Italy.

Last night was a perfect example of why I'm for it, although there definitely need to be tweaks to make it better but it will never be perfect due to the fact that there will be decisions that will be based on opinion.

If that goal hadn't have stood, Mexico could have gone home. Those are the high stakes at play here and the sport should do everything they can to ensure errors of that magnitude don't happen.

1 hour ago, mrbojangles said:

Last night was a perfect example of why I'm for it, although there definitely need to be tweaks to make it better but it will never be perfect due to the fact that there will be decisions that will be based on opinion.

If that goal hadn't have stood, Mexico could have gone home. Those are the high stakes at play here and the sport should do everything they can to ensure errors of that magnitude don't happen.

Just reinforcing that very valid point!

It was a clear phuckin' penalty, man.......phucking penalty man ! What did you frickin' want from the Senegalese, FIFA  ?

Phuck this shit, man ! Phuck !!!!!

Colombia doesn't deserve it, man !

• 3 weeks later...

I thought the ref had a poor game and that penalty decision changed the mood of the game.

He made a very bad decision there and it was not in the spirit or indeed rules relating to VAR.

I'm not against correct decisions but he got it wrong.....what gives from here???

VAR allowed the correct decision - the hand came down to meet the ball - Penalty

Keep VAR and use it as they appear to doing now - in short the panel advise the referee "You need to look at this" if the refs don't give it fine,  but they must be seen to look again and be in full possession of the facts before the final decision.

it wasn't a penalty in a hundred years and just the fact that the referee felt compelled to use the VAR means there was enough doubt in his mind that you don't give it. because referees are supposed to be certain about the calls they make, and if they refer to VAR, which then gives them an entirely different version of the incident in slow-mo, they are by definition not. it's an appalling addition to football and if this keeps up it'll stop me watching the game. there was nothing deliberate about that handball, the referee knew it, and has his mind changed by VAR. it's awful.

The guys arm came down from way above his shoulder and the hand and leg diverted the ball out.

Would have been injustice if the game had gone the other way because it wasn't given

Maybe the french goalkeeper agreed with you, he saw it from the other end of the pitch but he did give them one back.

the ball hit his arm at speed and he clearly didn't move his hand towards the ball, it was literally ball to hand. awful decision that changed the game in france's favour. remember the normal time action rather than the slow-mo replay and there's no way that was intentional handball. 

4 minutes ago, StevieH said:

the ball hit his arm at speed and he clearly didn't move his hand towards the ball, it was literally ball to hand. awful decision that changed the game in france's favour. remember the normal time action rather than the slow-mo replay and there's no way that was intentional handball. 

Funny he was fast enough to get his leg to the ball, but you say the ball was coming too fast for the Arm!! I would have given a penalty the ref was correct.

2 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Funny he was fast enough to get his leg to the ball, but you say the ball was coming too fast for the Arm!! I would have given a penalty the ref was correct.

nah. it hit him. he didn't hit it.

1 hour ago, StevieH said:

nah. it hit him. he didn't hit it.

The ref gave the penalty because he watched it several times in slow motion and the VAR officials were clearly prattling away in his ear so he failed to realise the player hadn;t in fact the time to react as he was blindsided.

He had a poor game all round I thought anyway.

Initially I thought it wasn't a penalty for the reasons StevieH explains but then I thought I saw from one of the angles his hand makes a movement to the ball so penalty but I'd really like to see it again (not found anything on youtuibe yet). It was a difficult one for the ref. 

Was it a freekick for the first goal? Looked like Griezmann went over before the challenge.

29 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Initially I thought it wasn't a penalty for the reasons StevieH explains but then I thought I saw from one of the angles his hand makes a movement to the ball so penalty but I'd really like to see it again (not found anything on youtuibe yet). It was a difficult one for the ref. 

Was it a freekick for the first goal? Looked like Griezmann went over before the challenge.

I just saw it again, with slow motion and it's seems evident that the Croat player made a movement to stop the ball 

you can see the video here ( https://www.tf1.fr/tf1/fifa-coupe-du-monde-de-football/videos/france-croatie-1-0-voir-main-de-perisic-validee-var.html )

but you need a vpn because it's from the French television 

7 minutes ago, Aforek said:

I just saw it again, with slow motion and it's seems evident that the Croat player made a movement to stop the ball 

you can see the video here ( https://www.tf1.fr/tf1/fifa-coupe-du-monde-de-football/videos/france-croatie-1-0-voir-main-de-perisic-validee-var.html )

+1

There was clear movement of the hand to the ball. Penalty.

That would have been given in the Premiership every day of the week.  The issue last night was that the referee didn't see it and had to rely on his ear-piece and VAR.

1 hour ago, Aforek said:

As I said already.....the slow motion video doesn't allow for the fact its all happening very quickly....the hand was coming down anyway and he didn't have time to react.

You don't get that from the slo mo video hence why the ref gave it. Was a wrong decision for sure.

8 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

...and thus TOTALLY unbiased and open.

? they are filmed by russian technicians, the same images seen everywhere in the world 

you think that every country has its own cameras on the field ? 

I gave this link because so far, I didn't find an other one, but if you find  an other one, give the link here, but that one was the one filmed by Russian television , transmitted over the world 

There was another, subsequent "hand ball that never was" moment that the referee curiously decided to totally ignore despite at least 4 pairs of French arms being raised. I guess the VAR guys were collectively out taking a piss when it happened as well.

Either way, the luckier team won, the pluckier team lost.

The curiously long interlude between game end and gong awards was a bit of a bugger though. How many times did we really need to see Pogba showboating, posing and being an ar5e? I mean we have about 9 months of EPL for catching that coming up, no?

Anyway, the delays did mean that God finally rained on the French parade... som nam nah.

7 minutes ago, Aforek said:

? they are filmed by russian technicians, the same images seen everywhere in the world 

you think that every country has its own cameras on the field ? 

I gave this link because so far, I didn't find an other one, but if you find  an other one, give the link here, but that one was the one filmed by Russian television , transmitted over the world 

Oh relax will you? Yes it was the same footage that Russian cameramen and technicians caught for a global audience as well as the VAR team and the underwhelming ref.

Funny that your search for  YouTube 'forensics' only comes up with a French website? Maybe THEY are replaying it over and over trying to convince themselves...

3 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Oh relax will you? Yes it was the same footage that Russian cameramen and technicians caught for a global audience as well as the VAR team and the underwhelming ref.

Funny that your search for  YouTube 'forensics' only comes up with a French website? Maybe THEY are replaying it over and over trying to convince themselves...

At a critical moment in the game and the ref had to stand watching it for 2-3 mins....then run back and view it again before making his decision.

Utterly ridiculous.

On 7/16/2018 at 4:13 AM, RonniePickering22 said:

At a critical moment in the game and the ref had to stand watching it for 2-3 mins....then run back and view it again before making his decision.

Utterly ridiculous.

The BBC's sports review of the WC also says the VAR awarded penalty during the final should not have happened and did have a big impact on the game.

I am not saying the French would have lost but I consider a 3-2 win would have been much more honest scoreline.

Archived