Riding a Dual Sports Bike in Chinag Mai

Kohsamida

I'm getting real interested in possibly buying a bike like a Honda CRF 250 or a Kawasaki KLX 250, and have questions for someone who rides locally.  I'm a mountain biker and love riding the trails on Doi Suthep but it takes a lot of time riding up the mountain, and so I don't ride the trails as much as I'd like.  I'm living in CNX for the next year and had been thinking of buying a scooter to just get around town but now I'm thinking maybe a dual-sports bike might serve both purposes.  Just would like to know more from people already riding them around here, wondering if a used bike would be prudent or not, and if so where's a good place to look for them, what do you think of the dealers/service centers around here, what are some trails you like riding as day trips, etc. 

I'm a few years out of Chiang Mai now after living there for 10 years but the dual sports were my favourite for the city. Both CM Kawasaki and Honda dealerships have strong potential for good service. I had both the KLX and D tracker, along with other big bikes and a scooter parked at my house at all times. For riding in the city or the trails anywhere in the North West they were the better bikes.... Sometimes for the simple reasons, ie get blocked in parking somewhere and you may be able to ride forward over the curb, something you can't do in a scooter with a tire the same height as some CM curbs. I put high 80 k's on both 250 trouble free, and recently have been riding my bro in laws CRF, which is equally an excellent bike. Myself I'd choose the KLX for trails and would go with the smoother CRF for city only.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/audZKN9z2AQPMqjN6

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

When I get back to Thailand, a KLX is the first new bike I'll buy.  Maybe a 250 but may have to settle for a 150 because I am short.  I grew up riding small dirt bikes in the US.  I love mud. 

When I was in Thailand in 1977/78, I had a Suzuki TS 125 2-stroke dual sport. There were a lot of dirt roads in Loei back then.

7 hours ago, Fishenough said:

I'm a few years out of Chiang Mai now after living there for 10 years but the dual sports were my favourite for the city. Both CM Kawasaki and Honda dealerships have strong potential for good service. I had both the KLX and D tracker, along with other big bikes and a scooter parked at my house at all times. For riding in the city or the trails anywhere in the North West they were the better bikes.... Sometimes for the simple reasons, ie get blocked in parking somewhere and you may be able to ride forward over the curb, something you can't do in a scooter with a tire the same height as some CM curbs. I put high 80 k's on both 250 trouble free, and recently have been riding my bro in laws CRF, which is equally an excellent bike. Myself I'd choose the KLX for trails and would go with the smoother CRF for city only.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/audZKN9z2AQPMqjN6

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Nice looking bike.  Thanks for the feedback.  When I first moved here I thought my mountain bike would be fine to get around town and exploring the trails on Doi Suthep which is something I love to do, not to mention it’s just a great way to stay in shape.  But, it just takes so much time out of a day.  So, a dual sport bike just sounds perfect.

The only issue is the cost.  Those bikes are SO expensive!  I can’t really afford to lay out $5,000 for one!  I’m hoping I can find a used one for around $2,000 but don’t see any listed in classified, and more importantly, I worry about the use/abuse issues of buying a used one.

Hoping somebody can advise on where / how to find a good used bike.

8 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

When I get back to Thailand, a KLX is the first new bike I'll buy.  Maybe a 250 but may have to settle for a 150 because I am short.  I grew up riding small dirt bikes in the US.  I love mud. 

When I was in Thailand in 1977/78, I had a Suzuki TS 125 2-stroke dual sport. There were a lot of dirt roads in Loei back then.

LOL; I've never been a big fan of mud as a mountain biker but it sounds like it would be fun as hell on a dirt bike.  When I was a kid I played (American) football and used to LOVE playing on muddy fields; kind of a primal type thing I think ?

4 hours ago, Kohsamida said:

The only issue is the cost.  Those bikes are SO expensive!

The CRF250L is considerably cheaper new here than in your home country, i know its cheaper here than in the UK where i come from. In fact, i think both bikes are outstanding value for money.

KLX has Excel rims, fatter stronger spokes, adjustable suspension, bullet proof motor.

CRF has, er,  a huge aftermarket for bling...

S/H - check out Baht & Sold website, plenty of decent KLX for 75-95k. CRF's for 85k up.

8 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

The CRF250L is considerably cheaper new here than in your home country, i know its cheaper here than in the UK where i come from. In fact, i think both bikes are outstanding value for money.

KLX has Excel rims, fatter stronger spokes, adjustable suspension, bullet proof motor.

CRF has, er,  a huge aftermarket for bling...

S/H - check out Baht & Sold website, plenty of decent KLX for 75-95k. CRF's for 85k up.

Cost is a relative term.  New here in Thailand the Honda seems to be around 163k which is way over my budget but 75-95 is about right so I guess I'll be checking out BahtSold website to see what there is. 

I really just want something to get out on the trails around town and for getting around town; nothing fancy BUT i don't want to inherit maintanance headaches which is what makes me nervous about a used bike, especially one used off-road.

Do you know of any trustworthy dealers in the area that sell used bikes?

The little Honda really cant cut it off-road with its excess weight , non-adjustable leaky suspension and a single radiator., A second hand KLX is the way to go ( off road ) .Or go brand new with a Lifan 200 dual sport for 48,000.

1 hour ago, ktm jeff said:

The little Honda really cant cut it off-road with its excess weight , non-adjustable leaky suspension and a single radiator., A second hand KLX is the way to go ( off road ) .Or go brand new with a Lifan 200 dual sport for 48,000.

In standard form they can't, modified they are perfectly capable. 

OP if you go Honda make sure it's had some mods done to make it off-road worthy

10 hours ago, ktm jeff said:

Thanks for mentioning Lifan.  There are some other posts on here about their bikes and it sounds like they are pretty decent bikes, especially considering they are a third of the price of Honda/Kawasaki.  I have no problem with a Thai built Chinese bike.  There are owners reviews of them posted on the internet that sound positive, so thanks for mentioning this option.

From what I read online, there is also the Thai built Chinese Keeway TXM200.  Many seem to think it is slightly better.  Any thoughts on that?

Also, would you happen to know closest dealers for either?  Can’t seem to find one nearby by Googling.  I’m in Chiang Mai.

10 hours ago, ktm jeff said:

Do you ride a KTM?  I came across a great blog written by a KTM rider which is really what really got me interested in getting a dual sport bike.  The article was about a seriously cool back country trip he took on the Mae Hong Son Loop on his KTM 525 EXC.

Here’s the story link:  http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-forum/threads/the-mae-hong-son-loop-the-dirty-way.375/

And this is is his bike.

4675639E-2B40-4F41-B3E0-4417BE43966C.jpeg

On 6/17/2018 at 5:02 AM, Damrongsak said:

I am probably going back to Indonesia. Had a TS in 1999-200 and they still made TS125 up to around 2003. I'm thinking seriously as one can now easily get a pipe and some reeds and... 

Riding to work in the rain is the big factor. If I'm stuck with a company apartment within walking distance then in someways better except for the dog!

2 hours ago, Kohsamida said:

Trying to figure out where the dealer is in Chiang Mai that you mentioned in another post.  You said it was on the northbound side of 108 near Makro.  Someone replied to you saying he found it just south of there, across from Farang Village.  Is this the dealership (see attached photos)?  It has a different phone number than the one you mentioned for Goong.  Tried calling her but couldn't get through.  Couldn't get the other number either ?

snapshot_ 2018-06-18 at 12.51.01 PM.jpg

snapshot_ 2018-06-18 at 1.05.31 PM.jpg

3 hours ago, Kohsamida said:

snapshot_ 2018-06-18 at 12.51.01 PM.jpg

snapshot_ 2018-06-18 at 1.05.31 PM.jpg

YES , thats the shop. Im in England for a few months , but her phone number was the one she wrote on a sales brochure - 091-8581-802. She has 3 shops. The one you have googled is in Hang Dong. They have Lifans there. Just pop in.

14 hours ago, DDBKK said:

In standard form they can't, modified they are perfectly capable. 

OP if you go Honda make sure it's had some mods done to make it off-road worthy

Agreed , but as  the Honda is about the same price as the Kawasaki , i think it would be smart to start off on the better quality bike to begin with , and modify the Kawasaki from there , if required. 

6 hours ago, Kohsamida said:

Thanks for mentioning Lifan.  There are some other posts on here about their bikes and it sounds like they are pretty decent bikes, especially considering they are a third of the price of Honda/Kawasaki.  I have no problem with a Thai built Chinese bike.  There are owners reviews of them posted on the internet that sound positive, so thanks for mentioning this option.

From what I read online, there is also the Thai built Chinese Keeway TXM200.  Many seem to think it is slightly better.  Any thoughts on that?

Also, would you happen to know closest dealers for either?  Can’t seem to find one nearby by Googling.  I’m in Chiang Mai.

I do ride KTM in England over the "summer" months , but thats not my bike , or story in your photo. Lovely though. The Keeway dealer is on the highway 11 road. Go past the train station on Charoen Muang road to Poy Luang junction. Head North. Macro is on the right , on the South bound road. The dealer is next / North of Macro. The TXM is a motard road bike. You want the enduro version - TXE ?.

21 minutes ago, ktm jeff said:

YES , thats the shop. Im in England for a few months , but her phone number was the one she wrote on a sales brochure - 091-8581-802. She has 3 shops. The one you have googled is in Hang Dong. They have Lifans there. Just pop in.

Thanks; I just came back from  the Kawasaki dealership after looking at the new KLX250.  It's a VERY impressive looking bike up close but way too expensive for me as a new bike.  I also looked at the KLX150, and that's a bike I could afford new at about 72,000 baht.  Anxious to see how the Lifan compares in terms of build quality.  Fro what I've learned about both of them today, I think they both would be fine for what I want in a bike.  I just hope the Lifan isn't too chintzy since that seems to be a lot of people's opinion.

I ride with a lot of Thais , and many of them have the KLX 250 , and the KLX 150 , if thats their budget. The 150 is a great bike but not too powerful. Fine off road though. The lifan is 200cc , and tuned for low rev torque - to the extent someone on this forum "up-graded" it for a Honda CRF 250 , and regretted it , as he said the honda engine ir rough at low revs. The Lifan has good dealer back-up but is lower quality than the Kawasaki. It could make a good bike for a few years , until your funds increase , or you really get into it and decide you need a better bike. There is also a bike called M-BIKE , but i dont know of any dealers. They make a very good 150 , similar to the KLX , and a 250 dual-sport.

1 hour ago, ktm jeff said:

I ride with a lot of Thais , and many of them have the KLX 250 , and the KLX 150 , if thats their budget. The 150 is a great bike but not too powerful. Fine off road though....

Thanks for that advice.  My desire in terms of power is just for exploring trails on Doi Suthep and surroundings, and just for getting around town.  Not planning anything more demanding or long distances.  Do you think the KLX150 would be a good choice for that?

I found out that the Xcenter in Chiang Mai uses both of those bikes for their tours so I'm going to sign up for tours so I can try them both.

I read the other forum's member posts you mentioned, that bought a Honda CFX and still has really high praise for his Lifan, so that's why I want to look at them too.  I wonder if he is still wanting to sell his Lifan?  It sounds like he made all the mods to get around the quirky stuff about the bike...I'll have to ask him.

The X-center. Thats a good idea.You can try both  off-road . ( They tried the Honda CRF 250 a few years ago , but it appears they have reverted back to the tried and tested Kawasaki KLX 150 / 250 ). You wont go wrong with a new KLX 150 for 72K , a new Lifan for 48K or a used KLX 250 for about 85K. Check out the Lifan threads to understand the gear change differences between the motard X-plore with 17" wheels , and the dual sport X-cross with 21" and 18" wheels. The motard has a more modern look / feel to it. If you prefer this model , just buy it and a spare set of off-road wheels/tires/discs. Two bikes in one , for about 55K.

Many used Klx250 for sale for real low prices!Get some handguards,engine guard,good offroad tires and change the gearing and this bike will go everywhere!Want to ride just send me a message when you have a bike and i show you a few trails.peace

2 hours ago, BBJ said:

Off topic i know (non CRF), but i am just thanking you for giving me the Smokeybike website details. Never heard of it before. Loadsa choice, great prices. Ta velly much. Bookmarked.

Ducati Monsters

Triumph Speed Triples

Triumph twins

even a Kawasaki KLR......

Papa Al, the 150cc rider(s) seem better than the 250 guys.  Not surprising.  Years ago on my Honda SL125, I would try to ride up a fairly tall 45 degree hill and have to turn around due to low power and traction.  No biggie, you just develop a way of doing a 1/4 turn when almost stopped, letting the front wheel slide down the slope another 1/4 turn, then quickly get back on the pegs and ride the sucker down.  Smaller bikes are a bit easier to manage.  You know that well having trials bikes.

On 6/21/2018 at 1:58 AM, nikotin said:

Many used Klx250 for sale for real low prices!Get some handguards,engine guard,good offroad tires and change the gearing and this bike will go everywhere!Want to ride just send me a message when you have a bike and i show you a few trails.peace

Thanks for your good advice and kind offer!  

7 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

Papa Al, the 150cc rider(s) seem better than the 250 guys.  Not surprising.  Years ago on my Honda SL125, I would try to ride up a fairly tall 45 degree hill and have to turn around due to low power and traction.  No biggie, you just develop a way of doing a 1/4 turn when almost stopped, letting the front wheel slide down the slope another 1/4 turn, then quickly get back on the pegs and ride the sucker down.  Smaller bikes are a bit easier to manage.  You know that well having trials bikes.

I’m kind of wondering if a 150 will be good on Doi Suthep trails.  Im only familiar with mountain biking trails on the Doi, and riding down them, not up.  On the other hand, I’m 5’ 6” and when I was at the dealer, the 250 felt intimidating size-wise to the 150.  Maybe just my imagination??

Archived