Riding a Dual Sports Bike in Chinag Mai

Kohsamida

If the 250 is too big , get the 150 until  skill and confidence improve. Selling a 1 or 2 year old KLX 150 wont be a problem. Some of the Thai guys i ride with have KLX 150,s , and they do very well off road. As mentioned , some modifications required , but not expensive. Only road speed is a little slow if you change the gearing. Try the standard gearing first , then see what others are using.

32 minutes ago, ktm jeff said:

If the 250 is too big , get the 150 until  skill and confidence improve. Selling a 1 or 2 year old KLX 150 wont be a problem. Some of the Thai guys i ride with have KLX 150,s , and they do very well off road. As mentioned , some modifications required , but not expensive. Only road speed is a little slow if you change the gearing. Try the standard gearing first , then see what others are using.

Good advice; I appreciate it.  Thanks.

I'm 5' 6" and I'm not sure the 250 would fit me.  It isn't much heavier than the 150s, especially the big wheel 150.

However, in the tight twisties, the short 150 might be a bit easier to maneuver.

------         wheelbase --- weight --- seat height

250:        1430mm    --- 126kg  --- 890 mm

150BF:   1340mm    --- 118kg  --- 870mm

150:       1225mm    --- 113kg  --- 805mm

The 150BF does have a couple extra goodies besides the larger wheels:  skidplate, USD forks, more ground clearance.

Thanks guys for your advice.  I know you all are more experienced riders than me so I appreciate the input.  While I'm an experienced motorcycle rider, all of my riding has been on roads riding a 500 cc bike which I loved.  It had all the power I needed, and then a little extra, so it kept me excited even as I gained riding experience.

My goal with a dual-sport bike, aside from just getting around Chiang Mai on a day-to-day basis, is to explore trails.  I only want enough power so I don't get bogged down on uphill trails on the Doi.  I'm guessing, from what everyone has said here, that a 150cc bike will be fine for my purpose. 

I know that as a trail noob it will probably feel plenty powerful in the beginning, but I wonder how I'll feel once I'm a more experienced dirt rider.  Am I going to wish I had gone for a 250cc bike?  I hope not because, with my budget,  I'd much rather invest in a brand new superior bike than a used one.

If the 250 is too big , or a little intimidating for you at the moment , your not going to be relaxed off road , and whilst you may not physically grow in the next year or two , your off road skill level certainly will. Then you may feel more confident with the 250. Buy the 150 or 150 BF (or the 125 injection )  model now , then trade up to a 250 KLX later. Easy to sell a used KLX.

3 minutes ago, ktm jeff said:

It is a more advanced design which has fuel injection. Popular in England where there is a 125cc licence limit .

I'm confused; the specs say the 125 has a carburetor and the 150 is fuel injected.  Also says the 150 is liquid cooled whereas the 125 is air cooled.  Those are the only differences I see in the specs...so it still seems that the 150 should be more expensive, not less.

https://www.zigwheels.co.th/en/compare-motorcycles/kawasaki-klx-125-vs-kawasaki-klx-150

1 minute ago, Kohsamida said:

I'm confused; the specs say the 125 has a carburetor and the 150 is fuel injected.  Also says the 150 is liquid cooled whereas the 125 is air cooled.  Those are the only differences I see in the specs...so it still seems that the 150 should be more expensive, not less.

https://www.zigwheels.co.th/en/compare-motorcycles/kawasaki-klx-125-vs-kawasaki-klx-150

Ive just looked at those specs. I believe they are wrong. Both  are air cooled , the 150 has a carb , the 125 has injection. Pop into Kawasaki dealer near Chiang Mai Ram hospital and grab some brochures. 

2 minutes ago, ktm jeff said:

Ive just looked at those specs. I believe they are wrong. Both  are air cooled , the 150 has a carb , the 125 has injection. Pop into Kawasaki dealer near Chiang Mai Ram hospital and grab some brochures. 

I have a 2018 brochure.  Now I'm really confused LOL.  The brochure does not have a 125cc bike at all, but it does refer to the 150 as air-cooled.  Perhaps the 125 is phased out? 

Ha Ha . Confused . Welcome to Thailand. As i said , the 125 model is sold in Europe due to licence limits. No such restrictions in Thailand. I guess many just bought the 150 with slightly more power/torque , still air cooled and cheaper. Try phoning Kawasaki Thailand and asking what models are  available.

6 hours ago, ktm jeff said:

Ha Ha . Confused . Welcome to Thailand. As i said , the 125 model is sold in Europe due to licence limits. No such restrictions in Thailand. I guess many just bought the 150 with slightly more power/torque , still air cooled and cheaper. Try phoning Kawasaki Thailand and asking what models are  available.

I was in the showroom and saw what they had; 250 and 150.  I like the 150.  It just looks like it will be right for me.  I'm starting to get a little excited now ?  I just want to be sure I can get a license and registration here in Thailand before I pull the trigger.  It sounds pretty complicated and a lot of the information online is confusing and contradictory but hopefully it will work out.

6 hours ago, ktm jeff said:

Correctomondo.

The Kawasaki brochures are complete BullshIt.

Last year i got real excited thinking the NEW KLX 250 had gone back to a carb!!!! ....

The 150 is air cooled, carbed and now only sold as a BF (big forks =USD). The 125 i have no idea about but i would avoid...

Confirm all this yourself by getting off your arse and down to your nearest dealer, which will confirm your eyes are not lying, but the official Kawasaki Thailand website and brochures are......................

12 hours ago, Kohsamida said:

Am I going to wish I had gone for a 250cc bike? 

Yes.

1 minute ago, thaiguzzi said:

Correctomondo.

Last year i got real excited thinking the NEW KLX 250 had gone back to a carb!!!! ....

The 150 is air cooled, carbed and now only sold as a BF (big forks =USD). The 125 i have no idea about but i would avoid...

Confirm all this yourself by getting off your arse and down to your nearest dealer, which will confirm your eyes are not lying, but the official Kawasaki Thailand website and brochures are......................

Yes.

Good advice.  I was to the dealer and impressed with what I saw.

9 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Correctomondo.

Yes.

So I guess you prefer a carb; how come?  Better power control?  Easier maintanance?  Is air cooled going to be an issue in hot, hot, Thai weather?

2 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

...The 150 is air cooled, carbed and now only sold as a BF (big forks =USD)...

So no little 150 with the  smaller wheels?

AU & NZ have an interesting model, Stockman 250.  Air cooled, DOHC, carb. 

31449233785_950a35a418_o.jpg

11 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

So no little 150 with the  smaller wheels?

AU & NZ have an interesting model, Stockman 250.  Air cooled, DOHC, carb. 

31449233785_950a35a418_o.jpg

Like it.

Yeah, emissions Thailand/Euro 4 doesn't get any of the good stuff, all carbed, mostly air cooled -

KLR 650

DR 650

XLR 650...……….

13 hours ago, Kohsamida said:

So I guess you prefer a carb; how come?  Better power control?  Easier maintanance?  Is air cooled going to be an issue in hot, hot, Thai weather?

I'm an old school mechanic/machinist by trade. A Luddite. I don't like anything I can't fix myself.

And I can't fix ECU's, oxygen, throttle position and crank sensors on the side of the road, let alone on my own workshop bench.

Air cooled = no problem unless in heavy, slow traffic.

21 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Like it.

Yeah, emissions Thailand/Euro 4 doesn't get any of the good stuff, all carbed, mostly air cooled -

KLR 650

DR 650

XLR 650...……….

I'm an old school mechanic/machinist by trade. A Luddite. I don't like anything I can't fix myself.

And I can't fix ECU's, oxygen, throttle position and crank sensors on the side of the road, let alone on my own workshop bench.

Air cooled = no problem unless in heavy, slow traffic.

"Heavy, slow traffic" is the definition of driving around most of Chinag Mai.  I'm guessing you know what I mean.  Will that be a factor?  I mean, I'll be using the bike to get around town just as much as exploring the back country.  

12 minutes ago, Kohsamida said:

"Heavy, slow traffic" is the definition of driving around most of Chinag Mai.  I'm guessing you know what I mean.  Will that be a factor?  I mean, I'll be using the bike to get around town just as much as exploring the back country.  

Non problemo.

I like the Kawasaki Stockman , like a modern XR 250. I prefer injection above carbs , but both have their benefits. If you get the 150 or the 250 , you will be happy with both , although when you start riding the harder trails , you may feel more in control on the smaller bike. If you do buy a used 250 , you can lower the suspension front and rear. I can put you in touch with a good mechanic in Hang Dong called NUNG if required.

Archived