Good Bars In Udon Thani

mpdkorat

Yes at last count someone said about 18 farrang resturants and bars in town.

I only go to about three palces interestingly enouhg the same original three that weer here four yers ago. Lots to choose from though. But I would not be the best to explain what is good or bad since I seldom drink.

Been a year since I was there, but "The Irish Clock" was pretty nice. Guiness on draught...my favorite. They also have rooms (big rooms) for rent. I stayed there and very nice. They have web site also. Have fun!!!

Tell me when to stop (and I don't even live there). These are all in the same area of the Charoensri Complex indoor mall (Robinson):

1. Yes, Irish Clock very nice on soi Sampun (has longer name but can't remember it)

2. Richmond Steak House on Prajak Rd. (just 20 metres west of corner of soi Sampun/less than 100 m east of Charoensri Complex).

3. Harry's Bar on western ring road.

4. All Thai fast-food counters on top floor (can't remember, whether it's 4th) of Charoensri Complex. But will need to read Thai or have "translator" around.

5. Some good Thai open kitchens around same area.

6. Taco Place (real Mexican-American food) farther west along Prajak Rd., two sois west of main street with the Complex on it.

Good grief, forgot to add the great restaurant (Chef Andy) of City Lodge on eastern end of Wattana Nuwong, east of soi Sampun.

Just pick up the local English tourist map. It has loads of bars and restaurants listed.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

The map is Udonmap.com and it's free all over town actually about the best map you will find of Udon, it's also on line.

The Irish Clock is one of the places i go now, It is owned by steve of the roiginal Steves bar that was one of the three places that were here omn my first visit three years ago.

Excellent food friendly staff and usually customers as well.

The other two I go to is Harry's bar Harry is always up or a good chat. Foods good.

The other is TJ's good american style cheese burgers, peacan and apple pie homemade. The best American Chilli you will find iin anywhere in Thailand Also a real Ameican breakfast just as you would get in the states. This one was the only American owned one, he is deceased now but his falimly continues on with good food.

Steve is Brittish and I think Harry is from Holland. Tj's is the only one who doesn't speak english they speak American.

Another place for friendly folks is the up to you bar Cat the co-owner worked fro the original Steves bar when I first came her, just a very nice lady. I don;t think I've met her husband but I understand a really nice guy.

Downunder boasts real lobster dinners.

MOJO's has great fish and chips

You see the problem is there are so many that it is hard to mention any and still be fair to the others.

You can finnd something to your liking . Lot simpliar when ther was jsut three

I spent a few days exploring Udon over Christmas, and generally thought that there were lots of options but little that really stands out. Here are a few random reflections.

The main group of farang-oriented bars is in a strip opposite the Chareonsri, partly tucked away in an alley behind the buildings on the street. The Aussie bar is one of the best in terms of facilities but struck me as less than exciting. Most of the others are small, quiet establishments with a few barely passable bar girls. Some do food. My impression was that these establishments can be a good place for a chat but are not terribly memorable. Of the bars on the main road, the oldest one - Mr Tong's - is at the top end on price, but is a modern air conditioned bar which I liked more than most. I'm more of an observer than a participant in 'nightlife', but the bar with the nicest looking girls is the nearby Scorpion Bar, which is probably the nearest Udon has to the western bars from the tourist areas. It has several hostesses who are very attractive indeed, some of whom will give you a good chat in return for a drink, but anything more compares with Soi 33 prices. In this central area there are other places such as Steve's bar that serves food and drink at reasonable prices. The Udonmap is a good guide.

Nearer the edge of the city on the Khon Kaen Road, the Full Moon Bar is okay, with quite nice hostesses and a good happy hour offer. The nearby High-Tech night entertainment area seemed very quiet and did not come alive until very late. The Yellow Bird Disco in the Chareon, which includes a bar with no admission charge, is surprisingly busy and interesting for the insight it provides into the night life of young Thais in a provincial city. If you want to see two contrasting types of seedy bar, Udon style. try the GI bar and the Wolverine a-go-go.

In general, I found the Thai bars and karaoke bars dotted around more interesting than the central strip, but (perhaps because of my insularity) I thought that similar bars I know in smaller cities in central Isan are better and the girls are prettier!. So my theory is that Udon's reputation for nightlife has more to do with quantity than quality. The Udonmap.com website has a comprehensive account of bars and nightlife in Udon. I didn't get to some of the less central bars like Harry's.

Congradulations someone finally stated it as it is, Udon is not a tourist spot and you will more fun in Thai Bars. Something those of us in Udon have been saying for years.

Your's, sir was a very accurate description of what really is here.

Edited by ray23

Congradulations someone finally stated it as it is, Udon is not a tourist spot and you will more fun in Thai Bars. Something those of us in Udon have been saying for years.

Your's, sir was a very accurate description of what really is here.

Is the Downunder Bar the same bar run by the ex husband of May who runs the Aussie Bar in Korat? They do lobster too

• 1 year later...

Udon Day and Night holds plenty of nice bars to visit.

* Fifty Fifty Bar

* Good Bar

* Happy My.s Bar

* Naughty Bar

* G Spot Bar

* Vicky Bar

* Honey Bar

* Friendship Bar

* First Bar

And more bars opening up soon since its a new bar area. The whole area is scheduled to have its grand opening 8/8 this year and you can find more exclusive information about the project and all businesses at www.udondayandnight.com

• 4 weeks later...
Tell me when to stop (and I don't even live there). These are all in the same area of the Charoensri Complex indoor mall (Robinson):

1. Yes, Irish Clock very nice on soi Sampun (has longer name but can't remember it)

2. Richmond Steak House on Prajak Rd. (just 20 metres west of corner of soi Sampun/less than 100 m east of Charoensri Complex).

3. Harry's Bar on western ring road.

4. All Thai fast-food counters on top floor (can't remember, whether it's 4th) of Charoensri Complex. But will need to read Thai or have "translator" around.

5. Some good Thai open kitchens around same area.

6. Taco Place (real Mexican-American food) farther west along Prajak Rd., two sois west of main street with the Complex on it.

Good grief, forgot to add the great restaurant (Chef Andy) of City Lodge on eastern end of Wattana Nuwong, east of soi Sampun.

Just pick up the local English tourist map. It has loads of bars and restaurants listed.