Alcohol Free Beer - Big Selection

pedro01

Generally speaking, Thailand is a pretty poor place for Alcohol Free Beer. 

I wasn't a fan of this stuff till a trip to the UK last year where I discovered Becks Blue and an assortment of other brews - ranging from pretty good to damn awful.

Out here, there's very little choice - Wish Beer do a delivery but half of the Alcohol Free beers are sold out (often because I have purchased them all).

For those in Bangkok, there's a really good place to go... Central Festival Eastville has a pretty big selection in the Central Foodhall - a few Weissens like Paulaner. Some German brews & overall a pretty big selection. I am currently supping on a 500ml Weihenstephan 0% only 80 calories a bottle too.

No Becks Blue out here and they aren't cheap but at least it seems to be catching on - would love to see it in the pubs & bars our here...

22 minutes ago, johng said:

Sorry but what's the point of alcohol free beer ?   its like coffee with no caffeine, nicotine free cigarettes,cannabis with no THC .... pointless !!

You do realize that a drink doesn't have to have a 'point' right?

I mean - what's the point of coke, sprite, fanta, milk, tomato juice, almond nut juice etc. etc. etc. - none of them get you drunk either - and don't get me started on the topic of water... awful stuff, fish f*** in it and no matter how much of the damn stuff you drink - you don't get even an inkling of a buzz...

NoBeerBeer.png

6 minutes ago, pedro01 said:

You do realize that a drink doesn't have to have a 'point' right?

If you're happy to pay lots of money for a fizzy drink that tastes a bit like something else but has none of the "good" effects then "upto you"   but I'd call it pointless... imagine coke without the caffeine ,sugar and C02..... pointless. 

I would rather just drink  water than non alcoholic beer or wine..no mater how may fish had f*** in it.

1 minute ago, johng said:

If you're happy to pay lots of money for a fizzy drink that tastes a bit like something else but has none of the "good" effects then "upto you"   but I'd call it pointless... imagine coke without the caffeine ,sugar and C02..... pointless. 

I would rather just drink  water than non alcoholic beer or wine..no mater how may fish had f*** in it.

Yes - you drink exactly what you want and I'll drink what I want.

Only difference is - I won't get all bent out of shape about what you drink, worry about how much you spend or generally feel I need to bring negativity to everything I don't agree with.

1 minute ago, pedro01 said:

Yes - you drink exactly what you want and I'll drink what I want.

I'm glad we agree on that totally "up to you"

2 minutes ago, pedro01 said:

I won't get all bent out of shape about what you drink,

I'm not negative or bent out of shape (about non alcoholic beer) sorry if it appears to you I am...

I just don't see the point..same as I don't see the point in spending millions of baht on  Rolex  when a 1000 baht Casio can do the same job (it tells the time)

beer,wine and spirits are to get you a buzz or totally drunk... In my opinion of course,  others have different opinions and I fully support their right to voice that opinion even if it doesn't agree with mine

The Scottish government has taken a fiercely punitive approach to drink driving in the belief that criminalising people who have a couple of drinks may discourage people from drinking far too much and then driving.  My experience is that is not the case.  But more relevantly, my dear old father has resorted to drinking alcohol free beer because he likes the taste of beer but he is more frightened of the breathalyser than of accidents.  

• 5 months later...

In Switzerland I found an alcohol free beer that I could enjoy, the only problem was that my waistline expanded. After two years it disappeared, so eventually I went back to "beer' beer, waistline remained.

Difficult working in construction. dealing with (mostly alcoholic) architects and labourers, without consuming alcohol, although the days when breweries sent their trucks directly to the building sites are gone. Quite a few were consuming 12 pints a day, starting at the railway or bus station at 6am. 

20 hours ago, BritManToo said:

That's like saying I found a woman that won't sleep with me, a house with no roof, or a car that never starts.

Or a poster that posts without saying anything.

I love alcohol-free beer. I can list a number of reasons, but why argue with somebody's personal taste? Unless of course you have too much time on your hands and don't know what to do with it.

I saw 'Tiger Lemon' in a 7/11 in Kanch the other week- didn't try it but it was only 2.5% I think. i haven't looked for it in my local yet. under B40 a can IIRC but I didn't take a proper look.

5 minutes ago, Chicken George said:

Id like it if a Thai brewery would produce a beer with 2% alcohol. Would hopefully have a good taste but be cheaper than the imports.

Just now, arithai12 said:

Or a poster that posts without saying anything.

I love alcohol-free beer. I can list a number of reasons, but why argue with somebody's personal taste? Unless of course you have too much time on your hands and don't know what to do with it.

A bit of a rhetorical post that!

Tops supermarket at Central Bang Na, has a large selection of alcohol free beers. The only silly thing about it is that you can only buy it during licensing hours, i.e. 11 am to 2 pm and 5 pm until midnight (I think the supermarket closes before then though). Why can't they sell alcohol free beer at any time? 

14 minutes ago, Chicken George said:

Id like it if a Thai brewery would produce a beer with 2% alcohol. Would hopefully have a good taste but be cheaper than the imports.

Singha Light was good at 3.8% but now they have increased it to 4.5%! Problem is hardly any bar sells or advertises it, and most that do rip u off by charging the same price as Singha when it is actually cheaper than Leo to buy wholesale.

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

Tops supermarket at Central Bang Na, has a large selection of alcohol free beers. The only silly thing about it is that you can only buy it during licensing hours, i.e. 11 am to 2 pm and 5 pm until midnight (I think the supermarket closes before then though). Why can't they sell alcohol free beer at any time? 

'The computer says "no'''......literally; thier tills r probably set not to allow beer sales during these times just like 7/11, and the till cant tell the difference.

There's beer and non-alcoholic beer

There's wine and non-alcoholic wine

There's coffee and decaffeinated coffee

There's sugar and saccharin

There are dairy products and non-dairy products which look the same

There is meat and meat products with no meat

The list goes on.... 

What's the problem in choosing the alternative?

5 hours ago, GarryP said:

You can buy alcohol free beer at all hours at Central, most cashiers don't know. I believe alcohol free beer has a different marking on the can to tell it apart. Cashiers can simply override it. I've been purchasing it for the past year. On the Korea Hite brand, the importer even put a sticker saying available to purchase 24hrs.

Most cashiers will need to call up the manager as they can't tell between alcohol free beers. I remember the manager telling the cashier to look at the label color on the can to tell it apart.

10 minutes ago, mike324 said:

You can buy alcohol free beer at all hours at Central, most cashiers don't know. I believe alcohol free beer has a different marking on the can to tell it apart. Cashiers can simply override it. I've been purchasing it for the past year. On the Korea Hite brand, the importer even put a sticker saying available to purchase 24hrs.

Most cashiers will need to call up the manager as they can't tell between alcohol free beers. I remember the manager telling the cashier to look at the label color on the can to tell it apart.

I have tried a few times at Tops Central Bang Na but always been rejected even when it was pointed out that it contained no alcohol. 

4 minutes ago, GarryP said:

I have tried a few times at Tops Central Bang Na but always been rejected even when it was pointed out that it contained no alcohol. 

thats what many will say, tell them to call the manager and say you purchase it before many times.... if manager cant do it, then they dont know their company rules

6 hours ago, GarryP said:

Now that's silly, classic thai

7 hours ago, Psimbo said:

I saw 'Tiger Lemon' in a 7/11 in Kanch the other week- didn't try it but it was only 2.5% I think. i haven't looked for it in my local yet. under B40 a can IIRC but I didn't take a proper look.

I quite like Tiger Radler (which has a big lemon on the can).  The original is about 2% proof; its a cocktail of beer and lemonade specifically tailored for cyclists to quaff gallons while rehydrating and replenishing their blood sugar prior to cycling home in the dying light.  It's only slightly cheaper than normal Tiger, despite the lower duty, but then you're probably not drinking to save money.

Heineken also produce some "Tiger Radler" products with 0% alcohol, in a variety of obscure flavours. 

1 hour ago, StreetCowboy said:

I quite like Tiger Radler (which has a big lemon on the can).  The original is about 2% proof; its a cocktail of beer and lemonade specifically tailored for cyclists to quaff gallons while rehydrating and replenishing their blood sugar prior to cycling home in the dying light.  It's only slightly cheaper than normal Tiger, despite the lower duty, but then you're probably not drinking to save money.

Heineken also produce some "Tiger Radler" products with 0% alcohol, in a variety of obscure flavours. 

Ahhh- more like what some of us would refer to as a 'Shandy' then.

5 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

Ahhh- more like what some of us would refer to as a 'Shandy' then.

Normally a shandy would be more lemonade and less beer, while the Radler is more beer and less shandy.  Still a little bit sweet, though

10 hours ago, Psimbo said:

Its quite nice and refreshing  similar to a pub lemon squash. 

13 hours ago, madmen said:

Its so wrong on every level to get a beer gut from high carb non alcholic drinks. Best to just stick to tomato juice

Some people can control the amount they drink. We don't all spend all our free time on a bar stool. 

On 11/22/2018 at 11:51 AM, GarryP said:

Typically Thai...that's why! :crazy:

Archived