Thirty sex offenders arrested at Thailand airports since the start of the year

webfact

Thirty sex offenders arrested at Thailand airports since the start of the year

3PM1.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Immigration has reported that 30 sex offenders have been arrested at five Thai airports since the start of 2018.

They represent about 20% of all serious criminals stopped at the airports.

Pol Col Cherngron Rimphadee, deputy immigration commissioner, said that 156 foreign nationals that represented a serious threat to Thailand's security had been arrested.

The figures referred to Suvarnabhumi, Don Muang, Chiang Mai, Hat Yai and Phuket airports from January to June.

The 30 sex offenders were part of a larger group of 3,461 people who came under suspicion for exploiting Thailand as a "Sex Country" Daily News reported.

Twelve of the 156 were found to have fake passports, fake pictures in their passports or fake visas and stamps.

Pol Col Cherngron hailed the force's Advance Passenger Processing System or APPS for the successes.

Among them were Mr Oh Janghyn a Korean wanted for human trafficking and Dolen Zuarez an Israeli wanted for murder. Both were caught in January.

Total foreign arrivals at the airports so far this year has been 14,752,560 people. Some 8.7 million arrived at Suvarabhumi and 2.7 million at Don Muang.

This represented an 18% rise at those two airports compared to the previous year.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-06-18

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, webfact said:

The 30 sex offenders were part of a larger group of 3,461 people who came under suspicion for exploiting Thailand as a "Sex Country" Daily News reported.

3,461? 

They’re missing a few zeros there. 

Thousands Of Foreigners Turned Away At Thai Airports

By Jintamas Saksornchai, Staff Reporter

S__18669689-696x452.jpg

Photo: Immigration Bureau

BANGKOK — More than 3,600 foreigners with criminal records have been arrested at or turned away from five major airports in the first six months of the year, immigration police said Sunday.

In what was described as a national security effort, immigration officers at Suvarnabhumi, Don Mueang, Phuket, Chiang Mai and Hat Yai international airports arrested 156 foreigners wanted for criminal offenses including those suspected of transnational crimes between January and June, according to police spokesman Col. Choengron Rimpadee.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/crime-crime/2018/06/18/thousands-of-foreigners-turned-away-at-thai-airports/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-06-18

4 minutes ago, webfact said:

Thousands Of Foreigners Turned Away At Thai Airports

By Jintamas Saksornchai, Staff Reporter

S__18669689-696x452.jpg

Photo: Immigration Bureau

BANGKOK — More than 3,600 foreigners with criminal records have been arrested at or turned away from five major airports in the first six months of the year, immigration police said Sunday.

In what was described as a national security effort, immigration officers at Suvarnabhumi, Don Mueang, Phuket, Chiang Mai and Hat Yai international airports arrested 156 foreigners wanted for criminal offenses including those suspected of transnational crimes between January and June, according to police spokesman Col. Choengron Rimpadee.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/crime-crime/2018/06/18/thousands-of-foreigners-turned-away-at-thai-airports/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-06-18

Like I mentioned before to the cry babies who complain how long it takes them to get thru immigration.

The IO is actually conducting an investigation when people come into the country.

Good for them for doing their job!

5 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Like I mentioned before to the cry babies who complain how long it takes them to get thru immigration.

The IO is actually conducting an investigation when people come into the country.

Good for them for doing their job!

I always go through the Thai's only counter, one of many privilege's having a Thai wife, in Thailand.......and being a hanhom man 555

More than 3,600 foreigners with criminal records have been arrested at or turned away from five major airports in the first six months of the year, immigration police said Sunday.

If so, then well done to them.

However, my question would be how does the IO office know if someone has a criminal record from outside of Thailand or is wanted in another country. Unless a country has informed Thailand that they may be travelling there and could be a danger, surely their computer at the airport can't access this information. 

If I am wrong then please correct me. 

What the article neglected to say that almost half of the men coming to Thailand are looking forward to and expecting some kind of 'good times' with the local boys and ladies  and if hypothetically there will be N. Korea style of no nightlife and no entertainment, Thailand will lose 50% of it's tourist...

40 minutes ago, BobbyL said:

More than 3,600 foreigners with criminal records have been arrested at or turned away from five major airports in the first six months of the year, immigration police said Sunday.

However, my question would be how does the IO office know if someone has a criminal record from outside of Thailand or is wanted in another country. Unless a country has informed Thailand that they may be travelling there and could be a danger, surely their computer at the airport can't access this information. 

It is called Interpol.

A worlwide database to track criminals across international borders.

3 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

It is called Interpol.

A worlwide database to track criminals across international borders.

But I assumed that would only work if the person is wanted on Interpol. Like the Red Bull man ?

What about the ones residing here already ? I am thinking they are trying to impress other countries where so called Thai criminals are hideing out hopeing they are refused to stay and sent back to Thailand ! ha

28 minutes ago, BobbyL said:

But I assumed that would only work if the person is wanted on Interpol. Like the Red Bull man ?

You are right to a point.

Like anything else, keeping it up to date.

In the US, NCIC is the national database and they "try" to work hand in hand with Interpol but not all info. is entered.

There is certain criteria.

Yes, the Red Bull man has been traveling and escaping.  He does fly private jets so probably has more flexibility.

Money certainly talks........

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

I always go through the Thai's only counter, one of many privilege's having a Thai wife, in Thailand.......and being a hanhom man 555

so you also woke up to the trick …. but keep it quiet, don't want to overdo it 

38 minutes ago, johncat1 said:

Pity they can't check Thais leaving the country to make sure they are not wanted by the police Like politicians , monks millionaire playboys etc 

Steady on now, why do you think their departure is pre-paid?

1 hour ago, BobbyL said:

HEY ! Who cares?...as long as they stop them...

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

What the article neglected to say that almost half of the men coming to Thailand are looking forward to and expecting some kind of 'good times' with the local boys and ladies  and if hypothetically there will be N. Korea style of no nightlife and no entertainment, Thailand will lose 50% of it's tourist...

A sex ofender is usually a peodo or rapeist. Not someone after a happy ending. 

1 hour ago, BobbyL said:

Advance Passenger Processing System or APPS

2 hours ago, BobbyL said:

When the last passenger on a flight has boarded and the doors are closed, the passenger manifest is sent to the destination along with any pertinent information (i.e. like the number of wheelchairs that may be needed). That way the Customs/Immigration staff at the destination can run the names through their database and the airport staff can be prepared when the plane arrives. (I'm sure people have gotten off a plane at least once and seen airport staff patiently waiting with an empty wheelchair).

Some names may be "flagged" by the system and it is quite possible that a person is able to get on a flight in one country, despite being wanted in another country. Also, in some cases, people may be able to freely travel in their own country (and some others) while not being allowed to travel to others.

For example, having a Drunk Driving conviction in the USA could prevent you from entering Canada, even though you can travel anywhere in the US (and some other countries). Visa versa, a Drug Possession charge in Canada (say for getting caught with weed) could prevent you from entering the US, but may not be  a problem if you wanted to fly to France or the Netherlands for example.

If a person has done something in "Country A" and did their time for it, "Country A" may not care where that person chooses to travel to afterwards. However, that doesn't mean "Country B" has to accept that person when they arrive. Country A is under no obligation to check each outgoing passenger to determine if Country B will accept them first.
However, the names are sent to Country B after the plane is loaded and if any names show up as flagged, Country B can turn them away when they arrive (forcing the airline to fly them back to their last point of origin), or arrest them, depending on the circumstances.
(Ideally they'd get flagged and prevented from getting on the plane in the first place however a lot of the times the Destination Country may not even seen the passenger manifest until after the plane has already departed.)

45 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

When the last passenger on a flight has boarded and the doors are closed, the passenger manifest is sent to the destination along with any pertinent information (i.e. like the number of wheelchairs that may be needed). That way the Customs/Immigration staff at the destination can run the names through their database and the airport staff can be prepared when the plane arrives. (I'm sure people have gotten off a plane at least once and seen airport staff patiently waiting with an empty wheelchair).

Some names may be "flagged" by the system and it is quite possible that a person is able to get on a flight in one country, despite being wanted in another country. Also, in some cases, people may be able to freely travel in their own country (and some others) while not being allowed to travel to others.

For example, having a Drunk Driving conviction in the USA could prevent you from entering Canada, even though you can travel anywhere in the US (and some other countries). Visa versa, a Drug Possession charge in Canada (say for getting caught with weed) could prevent you from entering the US, but may not be  a problem if you wanted to fly to France or the Netherlands for example.

If a person has done something in "Country A" and did their time for it, "Country A" may not care where that person chooses to travel to afterwards. However, that doesn't mean "Country B" has to accept that person when they arrive. Country A is under no obligation to check each outgoing passenger to determine if Country B will accept them first.
However, the names are sent to Country B after the plane is loaded and if any names show up as flagged, Country B can turn them away when they arrive (forcing the airline to fly them back to their last point of origin), or arrest them, depending on the circumstances.
(Ideally they'd get flagged and prevented from getting on the plane in the first place however a lot of the times the Destination Country may not even seen the passenger manifest until after the plane has already departed.)

Does that mean that the whole criminal record of each individual is sent to another country? That sounds like a loss of a state's sovereignty, which I really don't see happening. Or does each country only send out crimes in which the individual is wanted for? Your reply to the previos post was very well written, but still leaves a few questions. Thanks

4 hours ago, Darcula said:

Suspicions were aroused because they wrote Bangcock as their final destination on the arrival card.

Another giveaway Darc. was final destination Mai Rim. Not everyone wants to end up in Mai Rim , a very strange place to find ones self. I wonder if there is a ring road round Mai Rim .   OK I'm going now.

Archived