British tourist forced to apologise after being caught trying to pull insurance scam on Koh Samui

snoop1130

5 hours ago, possum1931 said:

We should just end this discussion as we are never going to agree. I say most, if not all insurance companies are capitalists who use every trick in the book to relieve ordinary people of their money just like the banks.

I suggest you check out the Royal Commission into the financial industry in Australia. One of the biggest insurance companies there, AMP, has admitted lying to the corporate regulator about charging fees for no service - 20 times, in fact.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, possum1931 said:

But they won't if they can get away with it, they use small print and legal jargon as excuses to not pay out all the time, but there are times when they pay out legitimate claims because they have no choice.

"But they won't if they can get away with it, they use small print and legal jargon as excuses to not pay out all the time..."

Garbage, that's just a myth.  The insurance industry is highly regulated, insurers would not get away with that.

"...there are times when they pay out legitimate claims because they have no choice..."

They always pay out on legitimate claims and those occasions represent the majority of claims!

On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 8:59 AM, maximillian said:

If he was a great soccer player in a British team, I guess you wouldn't doubt his "Britishness".

Most 'British' Football players are not British in our teams, so no need for doubt at all.....

5 hours ago, possum1931 said:

We should just end this discussion as we are never going to agree. I say most, if not all insurance companies are capitalists who use every trick in the book to relieve ordinary people of their money just like the banks.

And you couldn't be more wrong.  Unless you can provide some (maybe just one?) specifics, of course.

11 minutes ago, Tacuisse said:

I suggest you check out the Royal Commission into the financial industry in Australia. One of the biggest insurance companies there, AMP, has admitted lying to the corporate regulator about charging fees for no service - 20 times, in fact.

and that was only the one that was caught.

4 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

He won't have an example, guaranteed.

No I don't, every time I read about people writing in to the papers complainng about insurance companies not paying out when I''m in the UK, I don't follow they through because it happens so often I just get bored. So I cannot name an individual case.

12 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

"But they won't if they can get away with it, they use small print and legal jargon as excuses to not pay out all the time..."

Garbage, that's just a myth.  The insurance industry is highly regulated, insurers would not get away with that.

"...there are times when they pay out legitimate claims because they have no choice..."

They always pay out on legitimate claims and those occasions represent the majority of claims!

21 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Those claims that they don't pay out on are not genuine claims, either that or the policy conditions were not met by the policyholders.  Can you quote an example of one?

I have already explained.

When I became a consultant, I was advised to set up a superannuation fund for the compulsory payment system that operates in Australia. Started an account with MLC, insurance company financial product.

After two years, in the middle of a seven year bull market, I worked out that the superannuation account was achieving the magnificent return of 0.9% after fees. Even the banks were paying 4% on term deposits.

Those big buildings in all the capital cities most insurance companies live in are built by dudding customers.

4 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

No I don't, every time I read about people writing in to the papers complainng about insurance companies not paying out when I''m in the UK, I don't follow they through because it happens so often I just get bored. So I cannot name an individual case.

If there was one you'd be able to link to it very easily, though, because it would get a lot of press.

Incidentally, just because someone complains about a claim not being paid doesn't mean that person is right and the insurer is in the wrong!  Legitimate claims are paid out and you cannot name a case showing otherwise.

3 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

If there was one you'd be able to link to it very easily, though, because it would get a lot of press.

Incidentally, just because someone complains about a claim not being paid doesn't mean that person is right and the insurer is in the wrong!  Legitimate claims are paid out and you cannot name a case showing otherwise.

I agree, but it doesn't mean the person is wrong either. Insurance companies and banks are both cut from the same cloth, the are capitalists.

That is now my last word on the subject.

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

It's not fraud until he submits a claim, which he hadn't done.  He just filed a false police report, that is not fraud.

By all accounts he started the claim process

45 minutes ago, upu2 said:

By all accounts he started the claim process

Which accounts are those?  I've seen nothing that suggested that; getting a police report isn't starting a claim.  Starting a claim is submitting it to the insurer and until that is done there is no fraud or attempted fraud.

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

I agree, but it doesn't mean the person is wrong either. Insurance companies and banks are both cut from the same cloth, the are capitalists.

That is now my last word on the subject.

Which companies in business for profit are not "capitalists" and is there something wrong with being a capitalist?

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

There are that many that it is not news anymore and will not help sell papers

You seem to be saying that there are so many that they are not reported because they don't sell papers yet you claimed earlier that they were in the papers all the time, or words to that effect!

If there are so many but it's not newsy enough to sell papers so the reports are not published in the papers how do you know there are so many?

22 hours ago, mogandave said:

Only people that buy insurance pay increased premiums.

In much the same way that only tax payers pay for tax increases.

Yes I know that, I think we all know that. I guess you thought we didn't know if you don't have insurance, you don't pay increased premiums. Thanks for pointing that out for us.

However, one of the reasons for the increased premiums, is false claims filed.

LeoTex

1 hour ago, Tacuisse said:

When I became a consultant, I was advised to set up a superannuation fund for the compulsory payment system that operates in Australia. Started an account with MLC, insurance company financial product.

After two years, in the middle of a seven year bull market, I worked out that the superannuation account was achieving the magnificent return of 0.9% after fees. Even the banks were paying 4% on term deposits.

Those big buildings in all the capital cities most insurance companies live in are built by dudding customers.

"After two years, in the middle of a seven year bull market, I worked out that the superannuation account was achieving the magnificent return of 0.9% after fees".

That's because what you had set up was a long-term financial product managed by a company on your behalf.  It's pointless to look at the value of a long-term plan in the first two years because that's when most of the management charges are taken out.  You didn't expect someone to manage your account free of charge did you?

If bank deposits were such a great idea why didn't you just put your money there and take responsibility for it yourself or buy a product from MLC that invested your funds only in deposits?  Probably because you knew that in the long term you'd make more with MLC and their advice.

If the insurance companies really were screwing all their customers how long do you think the businesses would survive? 

Criminal Code

Section 173. False Charges of Crime

Whoever, giving the information of the offence, which oneself Knowing not to have been committed, to the inquiry official or the official having the power to investigate the criminal cases, shall be imprisoned not more of three years and fined not more of six thousand Baht.

On 6/20/2018 at 6:46 PM, Just Weird said:

Which companies in business for profit are not "capitalists" and is there something wrong with being a capitalist?

Capitalism is about taking ownership of much as you can.  There is the theory that all ownership is theft. 

Best examples of this is companies and governments taking up land and coal from the earth and saying it's theirs. A system of money is used to hide the fact that is the simplest form of theft 

8 hours ago, Just Weird said:

No, he didn't.  That may have been his ultimate intention but he did not submit a claim; he did make a false police report in Thailand, though, that's all.

All the way up to the point if he doesn't receive any money from the insurance company you could use that same argument.  Intended actioned lying with the intent to gain money benefit is fraud.His intention was as clear as day and he began to action it

Capitalism is about taking ownership of much as you can.  There is the theory that all ownership is theft. 
Best examples of this is companies and governments taking up land and coal from the earth and saying it's theirs. A system of money is used to hide the fact that is the simplest form of theft 

So if I pick a wild berry and eat it I am stealing?

Archived