Big changes in Thailand for farangs

11 minutes ago, rumak said:

also dismissing the fact that so many of us have easily opened accounts as being out of touch with

how things are now....just because YOU had trouble..... might explain some things about your attitude

as well.    banks, and govt institutions do not like attitude.    just sayin

Yes true. Although being able to speak/read and write Thai, knowing the requirements for opening an account (check the banks website and print it out, preferably in Thai only or both Thai and English) and if possible, opening an account at the bank's head office in Bangkok or another branch in a place where lots of tourists visit/expats live such as Bangkok, Pattaya, Chiang Mai or Phuket helps. The OP mentioned Ubon which is an out of the way sort of place with no many westerners.

2 minutes ago, pr9spk said:

I treat people how I would like to be treated and don't look down on people no matter what. I am not boasting or having an ego, just trying to put across my position. I really don't understand what some posters are trying to gain by critising me for explaining what happened today. I'm only trying to help people who might find themselves in a similar situation.

i said MAYBE ..........not criticising.   i also am just trying to explain some reasons that people have problems.   If the shoe doesn't fit....good on ya

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, glegolo said:

I wish to add to this.... Here in Chaiyaphum I have myself helped like 5 or 6 falang-friends to get thai bank-accounts on Khrung Thai Bank. Khrunfs ri (ayutthaya Bank) Bangkok bank and Kasikorn Bank... ALL banks here without any exceptions, they demand to have proof of address, mostly the yellow book (tabien baan), but in one case even the driver license was OK.

So I have over time get myself tabien baan, thai ID-card, and driver licenses, and on top of that, I am married.

Without being nasty - But sometimes I wonder, over how helpless some people just are. "There are people who get things done - and there are people who must ask other people to get things done".... Which one are you?

glegolo

I'm someone who had moved to Thailand and is learning how things get done. Maybe because I haven't been here long I could be considered helpless. I don't see how calling me helpless helps either you or I, when you could be helping me by giving your advice.

Edited by pr9spk

4 minutes ago, pr9spk said:

I'm someone who had moved to Thailand and is learning how things get done. Maybe because I haven't been here long I could be considered helpless.

well, nobody has thrown this one at you yet ...so here goes :

DON'T RUSH AND GET MARRIED !!!!   

there may be some reasons why you want to....  but many many more why you should take your time,

like YEARS !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ok.  So to conclude,  yet another farang gets stuffed around but in the end gets it sorted. 

Some have problems.  Some don't.  The ones that don't have problems are geniuses and just have the Thai charm about them.  The ones that have problems are maybe to blame due to lack of street smarts.

Thanks everyone.  A very interesting discussion,  but I gotta focus on the English world cup game tonight.  

Enjoy. 

30 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Then there was no reason for her to sign anything.

I have read cases here of people getting someone who has an account at the bank to sign as reference.  In a recent-case in another thread, it was a farang who signed (since his wife/gf was too demurring to politely push the issue - a common problem).  After some back and forth, they then tried one last time to avoid opening the account by telling him the reference had to be a Thai.  He pointed out that this was nowhere to be found in the rules (shooting this down, as with all the prior excuses), and the account was opened.

I'm glad I opened my first account a few years ago, before this became such a PITA.  When I tried to open a 2nd account more recently, at a different branch - same headaches other reported - so went back to the first one and no problem

Edited by JackThompson

9 minutes ago, markaoffy said:

Gotta be crazy transferring 17 million baht to Thai bank account! You’ll struggle to get that out the country try if you ever need to

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Don't worry. I am not transferring anything like that much. Maybe half a million. One thirty-fourth of my cash. Don't panic!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tacuisse said:

Sounds to me you need to move away from Bangkok. I've never heard of these difficulties in Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai.

Bangkok isn't a problem too, who needs an agent to get married. I just walked in the government office with the paperwork, was late so they couldn't do us that day anymore. Told me to leave the paperwork their, come back next day, were the first to get married. Didn't even need a witness. 

Got a bank account before I was married on a tourist visa in her village. Said I would be working and she co signed, done and dusted in half an hour.

Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Bangkok isn't a problem too, who needs an agent to get married. I just walked in the government office with the paperwork, was late so they couldn't do us that day anymore. Told me to leave the paperwork their, come back next day, were the first to get married. Didn't even need a witness. 

Which amphoe (many in Bangkok - I tried several and failed) and what year was this?

Last week I walked into a bank and asked for an account.  I was told to get a phone number.  Got a SIM card, went back the next day and opened an account on an ED Visa.  Only proof of address was a deposit I’d put on a Condo.  I’ve now applied for a credit card at same bank and it’s on its way.  I did make a point of dressing well, smiling a lot and I’m a 40ish fit female ?

• Like 2

Opened an account at krungsri last week on a 90 day non-o with 20k THB

* no work permit

* no retirement visa

* no fiance 

Just a copy of my lease and landlords house registration 

Exchange Tower Sukhumvit.

Edited by B T Justice
  • Like 1

Of course it's easy when getting a retirement visa. I think everybody knew that already. I'm not retired, and that's the whole point of this thread. Read before posting such rubbish.

Edited by pr9spk
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2