Immigration lawyer Bangkok - US K1 Visa application for Thai national

Hello Everyone,

I am looking for a trustworthy, qualified immigration lawyer in Bangkok to assist in processing a K1 Visa application for my fiancé.  I am of course a US citizen, and we intend to move to the US together and subsequently marry.

I would greatly appreciate any referrals or suggestions for good and trustworthy immigration lawyers here.  Membership in AILA - American immigration Lawyers Association - would also be a positive if there are any such attorneys here.  

Please note that I am fully aware that a lawyer is not required, and that I can fill out the forms myself.  In this case due to the circumstances, I do want a lawyer to handle the application.  Trustworthiness, efficiency, and peace of mind are of great value to us in this situation.

I would really appreciate any advice or referals anyone may have!  

Honestly you don't need an immigration attorney at this point, that only comes if you get a rejection.

What is useful, especially if like me, you're lazy, a good visa agent to get the documents in order, translations, prepare the I-130, DS260, plus getting your wife ready for the interview.

The documents aren't difficult, but they can be daunting, birth certificates for wife/kids, divorce certs, and uniquely in my opinion the name change certificates, since Thai's have a peculiar passion for changing their names.

I am assuming that you live in Thailand and will therefore be doing a DCF, which helps a lot, time wise.

I can give you the agent we used if you want, PM me if you are interested, forum rules don't like referrals in the thread

Honestly you don't need an immigration attorney at this point, that only comes if you get a rejection.

What is useful, especially if like me, you're lazy, a good visa agent to get the documents in order, translations, prepare the I-130, DS260, plus getting your wife ready for the interview.

The documents aren't difficult, but they can be daunting, birth certificates for wife/kids, divorce certs, and uniquely in my opinion the name change certificates, since Thai's have a peculiar passion for changing their names.

I am assuming that you live in Thailand and will therefore be doing a DCF, which helps a lot, time wise.

I can give you the agent we used if you want, PM me if you are interested, forum rules don't like referrals in the thread

Thank you very much. What is a DCF, by the way?

I will PM you regarding the visa agent.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, Soneva said:

Thank you very much. What is a DCF, by the way?

I will PM you regarding the visa agent.

DCF = Direct Consular Filing. I forget now what the minimum residency in Thailand has to be, since I lived in Thailand full time, but it allows you as the petitioner to file the I-130 at USCIS in Bangkok, rather than in the US. That's the part that saves time, a lot

DCF = Direct Consular Filing. I forget now what the minimum residency in Thailand has to be, since I lived in Thailand full time, but it allows you as the petitioner to file the I-130 at USCIS in Bangkok, rather than in the US. That's the part that saves time, a lot

I will have to investigate that.

Part of the reason I am want to consult a lawyer is to have a satisfactory explanation of what our options are and to benefit from someone’s experienced knowledge of this process.

The forms are very tedious to fill out. And I would much rather outsource that task to someone who has done this many times and gotten results.

Sorry I did misread the OP, the I-130 I referenced is for a CR-1, but the filing procedure is the same (I think) for the I-129. The agent will advise the various options.
FYI, last year when we did the CR-1 it took a grand total of 100 days from filing to getting the visa, which in the case of the CR-1 means that your lady enters the United States with a green card, no additional work required when you get there.

Sorry I did misread the OP, the I-130 I referenced is for a CR-1, but the filing procedure is the same (I think) for the I-129. The agent will advise the various options.
FYI, last year when we did the CR-1 it took a grand total of 100 days from filing to getting the visa, which in the case of the CR-1 means that your lady enters the United States with a green card, no additional work required when you get there.

Thank you very much. I will have to see if we can use that option. But, that is less of a concern, it is fine with me if we just get a K1 and then have to complete the further steps in the US. The important thing for us is just getting there.

• 8 months later...

Hi.  I'm wondering if anyone can DM particulars about assistance with the K1 visa since specifics are not allowed.  My situation is a bit tricky since my fiance isn't Thai but French.  We just want to be able to stay together until the K1 is approved and Thailand was the easiest location.  Thank you! 

3 hours ago, MT02TS4986 said:

Hi.  I'm wondering if anyone can DM particulars about assistance with the K1 visa since specifics are not allowed.  My situation is a bit tricky since my fiance isn't Thai but French.  We just want to be able to stay together until the K1 is approved and Thailand was the easiest location.  Thank you! 

Check you messages, I responded to you there

• 6 months later...
On 6/19/2018 at 11:23 AM, GinBoy2 said:

I live in Thailand bangkok for the past 5+ years married to my thai wife for the 5 years. We are looking into a k1 visa too. Also were thinking about a lawyer. 

K-1 is for fiancee (unmarried), is a non-immigrant visa, which after you marry in US, you have to file for permanent immigration, but can stay in US while waiting.

CR-1 is for married outside US, is an immigrant visa.

USCIS is supposedly closing it's office in Thailand - so best get the application in soonest

Archived