BANGKOK 21 April 2019 01:20
webfact

Thailand to be part of ambitious plan to co-host 2034 FIFA World Cup

FiFA.jpg

Thailand, Indonesia and Vietnam are set to launch a bid to joint host the 2034 FIFA World Cup, according to reports.

Speaking at an event held on June 16, Fifa Executive Committee member Tengku Abdullah Sultan Ahmad Shah spoke positively of the possibility of ASEAN nations co hosting the tournament.

"The opportunity for us (Asean) to bid conceivably has its strengths because three to four countries can share, as what USA, Mexico and Canada did to win the bid and become the 2026 host. In fact the time has come for countries in the Asean region to be given the opportunity. In this regard, we hope the infrastructure and strength of Asean's football teams would have been consolidated by then”, he told the Straits Times.

“We have 16 years, which should be sufficient,” he added.

Malaysia has also been earmarked as a potential joint host.

Last week FIFA announced that the US, Canada and Mexico will jointly host the 2026 World Cup.

This isn’t the first time an ASEAN bid to host the 2034 World Cup has been mooted.

Last year, it was reported that Thailand, Indonesia and Myanmar would pool resources and bid to host the tournament.

Singapore was also reported to be interested in joining a consortium to host the tournament.

South Korea and Japan remain the only Asian nations to host the World Cup, holding the event in 2002, while Qatar is scheduled to host the 2022 tournament.

While the ASEAN region has some experience of hosting international football tournaments, clearly none on the scale of the World Cup.

In 1997 Malaysia hosted the Under 20 World Cup, while Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia and Vietnam co-hosted the 2007 AFC Asian Cup.

It is understood the deadline to submit bids to host the 2034 World Cup is 2026.

tvn_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-06-19

Could you imagine the carnage if Thailand did host one.

I mean, it would be great, but just imagine the scenes around Bangkok, Pattaya and Phuket if they hosted games ?

• Haha 2

Would be incredible but i don't even think 16 years is adequate time to get the infrastructure in place in any of the countries mentioned. 

• Like 1

it would be amazing...but realisticly ..what and who would suffer budget cuts...Not the entitled cival servants I hope...

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Last year, it was a Formula One Grand Prix....

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Megasin1 said:

A nice LOL moment, TLOS does it again and helps to brighten my day ?

:cheesy: Thailand is always worth a good laugh.

And not much else.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, ZeVonderBearz said:

Would be incredible but i don't even think 16 years is adequate time to get the infrastructure in place in any of the countries mentioned. 

The crazy thing about 16 years from now is the players are still sucking on the dummy.

Not being a fan of football, I think it would be a great idea for Thailand to take a major role.

Nothing like first-hand learning. Thailand would never ever get anything else after that.