New report ranks Thailand as the world’s riskiest holiday destination

webfact

New report ranks Thailand as the world’s riskiest holiday destination

Thailand.jpg

FILE photo

Thailand has been found to be the world’s riskiest holiday destination for British tourists, according to a new report.

The report, carried out by UK firm Endsleigh Insurance Services, looked at data from 2017, ranking countries on where the most insurance claims were made and Thailand came out on top.

The report found that Thailand accounted for 23 percent of travel insurance claims made in 2017 - more than any other country.

Travel insurance claims included emergency medical expenses, damaged luggage and flight cancellations.

Other countries to make the top 10 included the Chile, Spain, Germany and France.

The report highlighted the importance of having valid travel insurance, with 71 percent of claims being for medical expenses, which on average cost £1,319.

The report also found that 48 percent of 15-24 year olds don’t bother taking out travel insurance, while 25 percent incorrectly thought the British government would cover medical bills abroad.

Speaking to the Daily Mirror, Julia Alpan, head of marketing at Endsleigh, said: "Thailand is a popular destination for holidaymakers and backpackers, so it’s no surprise to see it revealed as the most dangerous location in the world to visit.

"Travelling in a foreign country is exciting, but there can be risks involved, particularly when you’re not familiar with the destination.

"As well as staying safe, it’s important to do your research ahead of your trip to make sure you’re covered with the correct travel insurance.

"Your insurance company will be able to provide you with full details of what you will and won’t be covered for on your policy, so make sure you’re aware of the full terms before you travel."

Top 10 riskiest travel destinations:

1. Thailand

2. Chile

3. USA

4. Spain

5. Germany

6. Nepal

7. Peru

8. France

9. Bahamas

10. Brazil

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-06-19

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am sure the folks at TAT will be frantically pulling out the bullshit file to find some way to try to deny this.

Thailand being seen as dangerous? Can't have such negativity. Quick, someone come up with some lies and denials.

2 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Well Prayut and his crowd are always spouting about Thailand is number 1, so they should be delighted with this news.:cheesy:

When he is in London he can track down and arrest the reports author/s drag them back to Bangkok for some attitude adjustments and a defamation law suit.

18 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

I am sure the folks at TAT will be frantically pulling out the bullshit file to find some way to try to deny this.

Thailand being seen as dangerous? Can't have such negativity. Quick, someone come up with some lies and denials.

The Hub of cuddly toys? Best I could think up at short notice...

20 minutes ago, BEVUP said:

This certainly isn't going to go down well with Pattaya's new reinvention image

Pattaya more than anywhere in Thailand. Wasnt a brit in the news recently for getting snotted by a group of ladyboys. ?

19 minutes ago, CGW said:

So Egypt is safer than Thailand? another BS survey, least it will give the usual parade of Thai knockers some joy!

Ohh, didn't come up with the result you wnted? I'd write and complain if I were you. Of course you'd have to write in English, so if you're a Thai I suppose that will knock you out in round 1. If you're an American, you might get to round 2 depending on if you're a Trump voter...

9 minutes ago, Berkshire said:
22 minutes ago, CGW said:

So Egypt is safer than Thailand? another BS survey, least it will give the usual parade of Thai knockers some joy!

Heck, USA is number 3, so Egypt is safer than America as well.  Brazil safer than the US?

What fun,  Wee! But you missed something.  The number of claims is directly related to how many people go somewhere.  So that in no way means that Brazil or Colombia or the Dominican Republic are safer countries,  it just means  ................... less claims were filed from those countries .... maybe less people go there?! Heck it's ok, just grab a Leo. 

That's a horrible, meaningless methodology that the insurance company in the OP is using to judge riskyness.

You can't judge that based on simply the number or total cost of claims from different places, because the volume of Brits going to different places is going to be more or less depending on the place. And that's going to skew the claim and claim cost numbers.

The only fair way to judge riskyness would be to look at the claims numbers or claims costs AS A PERCENTAGE of travelers to that destination. As in, there were more claims per 1000 travelers to Thailand than to any other holiday destination. Or the average cost of a claim for claims filed from Thailand was higher (which it presumably would not be) than from any other holiday destination.

1 hour ago, darksidedog said:

I don't think the folks at TAT can read or think at all. Thailand number 1 it shows for them.

13 hours ago, CGW said:

64000 visitors to Egypt 1  million + to Thailand, may help your decision? and thats from the UK only

1 hour ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Insurance companies yet again confirming what we all know to be true and is confirmed by British Consular officials, that Thailand is the most dangerous tourism destination for Britons.

Also the most dangerous tourism destination for Aussies and Swedes according to their respective consular services as well.

Chaiyo! 

I guess there must be something with the general mentallity of the visitors from the 3 countries mentioned, becuase it can´t be anything wrong with Thailand, right? :cheesy:

Archived