New report ranks Thailand as the world’s riskiest holiday destination

webfact

17 hours ago, webfact said:

25 percent incorrectly thought the British government would cover medical bills abroad.

Ha ha. Presumably they got that from their very own Mummies and Daddies. "Never mind, the government will look after you."

This is where the welfare state ends up. Noone responsible for anything.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

Haha brits arrive at the airport having drunk the plane dry. Already dressed in a singlet and flip flops 

And it all goes down hill from there 

Oh God I wish that were not true.

40 minutes ago, grollies said:

It only took 20 posts for someone to point out the obvious flaw in the reporting the insurance company's conclusion.

Unfortunately Endsleigh spokeswoman then compounded the error thus:

''Speaking to the Daily Mirror, Julia Alpan, head of marketing at Endsleigh, said: "Thailand is a popular destination for holidaymakers and backpackers, so it’s no surprise to see it revealed as the most dangerous location in the world to visit.''

Doh, even she doesn't get it.

I saw the thread title and and I thought three things in this order:
1) The "news" would be coming from the UK.

2) It would be, in fact, a piece of native advertisement, that is  "news" which are in fact a subtle advertisement for a company, ie Endsleigh, ie. not news.
3) The bigots here would lap it up.

Three out of three, not bad, eh?

To clue people in, this isn't news, this is an insurance company inciting fear in order to sell more insurance, you think Fake News is just about politics?
For crying out loud, they are quoting the head of Marketing of that company, it's designed to make people coming to Thailand take on insurance. I'm going to guess that they are looking to increase sales of baggage and lost flight insurance, that's why they put those parameters in their survey of "dangers" to travelers.

1 minute ago, AleG said:

2) It would be, in fact, a piece of native advertisement, that is  "news" which are in fact a subtle advertisement for a company, ie Endsleigh, ie. not news.

To clue people in, this isn't news, this is an insurance company inciting fear in order to sell more insurance, you think Fake News is just about politics?
For crying out loud, they are quoting the head of Marketing of that company, it's designed to make people coming to Thailand take on insurance. I'm going to guess that they are looking to increase sales of baggage and lost flight insurance, that's why they put those parameters in their survey of "dangers" to travelers.

Absolutely agree.

17 hours ago, CGW said:

So Egypt is safer than Thailand? another BS survey, least it will give the usual parade of Thai knockers some joy!

Not sure Egypt gets throngs of British backpackers, young party types and old buggers chasing their youth. Not sure Egypt has a big motor cycle rental market and lots of other activities and happenings like Thailand.

The high numbers of tourists coming to a hot pleasant land with plenty of cheap booze, lax rules and enforcement, loads of motor bikes to hire, beach activities etc leads to lots of accidents. Hence the high number of claims.

The threat in Egypt is a different one, and tourists a different market segment.

14 minutes ago, AleG said:

+1

The OP is saying, Thailand, as a destination, results in lots of insurance claims. Thats it !!!

The OP is not saying more people get murdered, robbed, kidnapped, tortured, bashed, assaulted, raped or have more car accidents.

The claims are most likely an upset stomach from spicy food, got drunk and lost a wallet, missed a plane, or scamming a lost camera to help fund the trip.

You have to take reports like this with a grain of salt.  How, for example, does damaged luggage and delayed flights make a place dangerous?  USA ranks number 3.   Would I cancel a trip to the USA because it's #3 on this rather ridiculous list?  Hardly.  Same for Thailand.  

11 minutes ago, newnative said:

You have to take reports like this with a grain of salt.  How, for example, does damaged luggage and delayed flights make a place dangerous?  USA ranks number 3.   Would I cancel a trip to the USA because it's #3 on this rather ridiculous list?  Hardly.  Same for Thailand.  

Yes thats right, its a list of the places that generate the most insurance claims. A lot to do with the tourists and their activities in those countries.

In theory, a destination with very poor baggage handling facilities could top the list as the riskiest place.

to really be accurate it needs to be correlated with the percentages of people traveling to each country, like they do with auto accidents.  Like claims per 1,000 persons covered traveling to a country.  For example if Thailand had 90% of the insured people traveling to Thailand with 23% of the claims it wouldn't be as significant.

Only advertising for the insurance company with Thailand giving a dangerous feel.
Statistically the numbers are rubbish and showing absolutely no correlation.
I wonder how came up with these numbers.
Probably the marketing department.

1 hour ago, wvavin said:

But the government is very proud of it!!!

Of course, another number one slot to go with road death.  VD cases or pollution could make the hat-trick, must be a close call - better get on to Guinness.

Typical of the press making incorrect statements. The relation between the travel insurance claims and how 'dangerous' it is, is irrelevant and nothing to do with the actual state of affairs. Just an insurance broker trying to make a name for itself, repeat broker not company. 

Every country in the world has its good and bad areas, if you play with fire then you get burnt. What should happen is that travel insurance should be made compulsory for all tourists, no insurance no admittance.

Its worth remembering that British travellers to EU countries have a reciprocal agreement for medical costs and that's probably why such countries are ranked lower on the list despite getting many more visitors than Thailand or Chile. Drunken Johnny goes to a doctor or hospital in Magalluf or Ayia Napa and the insurance companies aren't involved at all.

Agree with a previous poster who states that the number of claims per 1000 travellers would make provide a more realistic picture.

42 minutes ago, marqus12 said:

Getting around Phuket is an extreme sport with many fatalities,
I saw a lot with my own eyes .

Yes same here in Chiang Mai there must be at least 10 accidents a day around the moat all farangs from England with there union jack shirts on, none with a valid motorcycle drivers licenses

Only because people take the risks that tey wouldnt take at home. And thailand is yet to make everything idiot proof like other countries.

Should i get drunk and ride this scooter. Should i take drugs get blind drunk and go for a swim. I wonder what will happen if i jump off this balcony

20 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I am sure the folks at TAT will be frantically pulling out the bullshit file to find some way to try to deny this.

Thailand being seen as dangerous? Can't have such negativity. Quick, someone come up with some lies and denials.

Alternatively 'shoot the messenger' (Daily Mirror) - this is the norm for those who are unable to accept criticism or the truth. TIT 'n TAT. :thumbsup:

19 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

Haha brits arrive at the airport having drunk the plane dry. Already dressed in a singlet and flip flops 

And it all goes down hill from there 

And after that they get fuelled up again wherever they stay.
Just go watch them in the pubs and walking street at Pai...

I wonder why the administration of this site posts inflaming articles about the country when it is disallowed to say anything negative about the Kingdom? 

That doesn't make a lot of sense to me other than to get the readers to react to the article so the site revenue can increase.

Archived