New report ranks Thailand as the world’s riskiest holiday destination

webfact

2 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

The threat in Egypt is a different one, and tourists a different market segment.

Noted and you Sir are correct, I had my TVF cap on when I read it, (react first - think later ? )

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

Truth is that new risks are being added to the tourist list in thailand all the time..

One new risk  is being detained for possesion of  counterfeit money notes, even in small amount.

in a recent case, a tourist in koh samui was arrested cause a money exchange told

him that 300 USD notes he gave them are fake notes.

The police arrested him for weeks , demanding he will admit that he brought those fake notes with him,

he said he did not know they are fake and he got them from an exchange in his country.

It is a very brutal treatment of a tourist who is only a suspect, and not in a serious crime.

it could happan to anyone. how can you tell few fakes note from  thousands of notes

you might be carrying with you?

and add to that recent news about thailand as a growing source of counterfeit USD notes (bangkok post),

and you'll get one more risk to worry about while in thailand.

Most people would know right away that a $300 USD note is fake.

Wait for the squeals of "Fake news!" from Government House, together with threats of hefty fines and imprisonment under the catch-all Computer Crimes Act for anyone spreading such malicious nonsense.

What do you mean, "But it's true"? In Thailand today, the bigger the truth the greater the libel.

23 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

Haha brits arrive at the airport having drunk the plane dry. Already dressed in a singlet and flip flops 

And it all goes down hill from there 

Get ready for the two tiered pricing.

They say they dont need the tourists but they certainly milk them once they are here. 

Had a ct scan at pattaya public hospital the other day. 14,000 

Blood test 900.

Plus a 50000 deposit. 

My Thai partner had a ct scan of her kidney. 2800.

Blood test 300.

Then it showed up negative so they suggested MRI scan at 17000 just to be sure the negative was negative. 

Took 8 days to get a report to send to my insurance company. 

Certainly the place to spend your money.

And they will help you too..

6 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

Truth is that new risks are being added to the tourist list in thailand all the time..

One new risk  is being detained for possesion of  counterfeit money notes, even in small amount.

in a recent case, a tourist in koh samui was arrested cause a money exchange told

The police arrested him for weeks , demanding he will admit that he brought those fake notes with him,

he said he did not know they are fake and he got them from an exchange in his country.

It is a very brutal treatment of a tourist who is only a suspect, and not in a serious crime.

it could happan to anyone. how can you tell few fakes note from  thousands of notes

and add to that recent news about thailand as a growing source of counterfeit USD notes (bangkok post),

yes it is another to add to the list of "DONT do..." while in Thailand.

entry 389: DONT deal in US banknotes while in Thailand.

but really I am flabbergasted about us longtimers can live in such a dangerous place 10+ years no trouble? 

sorry but when its Brits on holiday here just 3 DONTS that could save touble, but seems they dont, cant or wont listen:

1. dont break the laws of the land.

2. dont break the laws of common sense.

2. dont be a dเck

4 Times in my life i got fake USD note, and i could not tell until i tried to change it.

anyway the point here is the amount - just 300 USD and it was enought for 

police here to arrest him for few weeks !!!

i could understans if he came to change 1000-2000 USD in fake notes, but 200-300 can

happan to anyone...photos of the 3 fake notes were published in the media and i could

not tell they are fake.

also police in cambodia could not tell that 7 milion USD they cought in a thai car were fake  :

https://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/advanced/437397/thailand-growing-source-of-counterfeit-dollars

7 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

So funny, This guys' first post a few days ago was about him admitting himself into the hospital under an assumed name only to find out they had a photo copy of his passport. Forum should be titled " Thailand #1 in allowing riskiest expats entry".

11 hours ago, JAZZDOG said:

So funny, This guys' first post a few days ago was about him admitting himself into the hospital under an assumed name only to find out they had a photo copy of his passport. Forum should be titled " Thailand #1 in allowing riskiest expats entry".

what's your problem? there is no law against telling a hospital a false name.

the hospitals here and else where only care about your payment, you don't need to

worry so much about me, go play with your dog.

On 6/19/2018 at 4:13 PM, CGW said:

So Egypt is safer than Thailand? another BS survey, least it will give the usual parade of Thai knockers some joy!

It isn't a survey, it is a report compiled from insurance claims, the countries with the most claims are ranked highest, that doesn't mean they are actually the most dangerous, more likely just the most popular.

1 hour ago, dallen52 said:

Get ready for the two tiered pricing.

They say they dont need the tourists but they certainly milk them once they are here. 

Had a ct scan at pattaya public hospital the other day. 14,000 

Blood test 900.

Plus a 50000 deposit. 

My Thai partner had a ct scan of her kidney. 2800.

Blood test 300.

Then it showed up negative so they suggested MRI scan at 17000 just to be sure the negative was negative. 

Took 8 days to get a report to send to my insurance company. 

Certainly the place to spend your money.

And they will help you too..

Did you consider shopping around?  You  can get an MRI for 7,200 at a private hospital.

so an insurance company is telling you that you must have travel insurance. Are they doing this because they are losing money? I think that this is just advertising to drum up more profits. Insurance companies are there to make money they don't care about your health or anything else. Join the lottery for insurance.

45 minutes ago, kannot said:

in Thailand?? hilarious

it is one observe the locals abusing common sense. you dont have to join them!

1 case in point:

recent video, Thai on motorbike screaming through T intersection not looking or even slowing down. head first into large truck

10 minutes ago, tingtongtourist said:

it is one observe the locals abusing common sense. you dont have to join them!

1 case in point:

recent video, Thai on motorbike screaming through T intersection not looking or even slowing down. head first into large truck

He was following the example suggested by his lucky amulet.  ?

image.png.38d13532aa12f5527d50cb7aa21e6b3c.png

42 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Did you consider shopping around?  You  can get an MRI for 7,200 at a private hospital.

It was an mrcp.

MRI scan of the pancreas and gallbladder just to prove no stones.

17,000 Chonburi public hospital.

23,000 Bangkok Pattaya hospital in Sukhumvit rd. 

I was surprised by the ct scan being 14 grand with contrast.

Pattaya public hospital.

Bulk billed in oz.

Free... 

Cheaper to get in oz or the U.K.. 

But if you are in the hospital bed.

What can you do?

Plus the 50,000 up front bed deposit..

We love farangs in thailand. 

Especially sick ones....

Archived