Fined 1000 THB for driving violation?!

Make a traffic violation, that you do not need to do.

After that refuse to pay, so that the officer have to hold on to your driving license.

As a last rasort, try to see if you can get sympathy on TV.

There are 2 solutions:

• Pay the fine!
  • Tell them at police station that people don´t think I should pay on TV.

My suggestion is the first choice if you ever want to see your driving license again.
IMHO, they should after this slam you with a double fine just for refusing from start.

Unfortunately for those not familiar with Bangkok's traffic flow patterns, you often get caught in the wrong lane.  I'm very familiar with this intersection and know that there is pretty good signage painted on the street pavement showing that the right two lanes are for entering the expressway.  If you are aware of these lanes and know where they are going, there is ample space, before you go under the expressway, to get into the left lanes if you want to go straight on Petchaburi Road.  If you aren't familiar with this traffic pattern, then you often get caught and have to pay the fine.  1,000 baht is the normal fine for changing lanes improperly.  Same applies when you are entering a toll booth at an entrance to an expressway or tollway.  So, admit you're wrong and simply pay the fine.

5 hours ago, WorriedNoodle said:

Like I said, the 'inexperienced' driver maybe new to Bangkok (not the know it all type) should be given the opportunity to see the road markings, which are currently almost grayed over in dirt and tire wear, along with clear warning overhead signs far enough ahead for the traffic congestion to allow folks the opportunity to get in lane (isn't ever gonna happen of course) rather than have some opportunistic bib waiting on the spot.

Yes, I had no idea that I was wrong because the traffic is a bit overwhelming if you do not know where exactly you need to go. And I thought okay, I am still okay for moving out of express lane... well, bad happens.

Anyway, which police station could have my license?

3 minutes ago, IsaanFam said:

Can anybody tell me which police station I should go to? There are 3 in close proximity and I don't want to walk to all three.

You need to read the ticket.

It depends who gave you the ticket. Metropolitan police, Highway Police, etc

If you can't read the ticket, post it here.

5 hours ago, Get Real said:

Make a traffic violation, that you do not need to do.

After that refuse to pay, so that the officer have to hold on to your driving license.

As a last rasort, try to see if you can get sympathy on TV.

There are 2 solutions:

• Pay the fine!
  • Tell them at police station that people don´t think I should pay on TV.

My suggestion is the first choice if you ever want to see your driving license again.
IMHO, they should after this slam you with a double fine just for refusing from start.

Blabla, I am not telling that I did not do the violation, I am asking  about the amount, if it's a fair amount. Nothing else. And yes, even though I didn't try to violate, it happened due my absolute unawareness of the road and yes, I made a traffic violation, I am still responsible. Oh my oh my,

1 minute ago, IsaanFam said:

Blabla, I am not telling that I did not do the violation, I am asking  about the amount, if it's a fair amount. Nothing else. And yes, even though I didn't try to violate, it happened due my absolute unawareness of the road and yes, I made a traffic violation, I am still responsible. Oh my oh my,

Yes, you are both correct and very clear. Please ignore these idiots. There are a lot on Thaivisa. Please see my post #5. For where to pay, it will be hand-written in Thai on the ticket. Show it to a Thai friend or post it here.

2 hours ago, IsaanFam said:

So in clear speaking, your didn´t have a clue about your violation before somebody made you aware of it.

Asking about the amount???? I told you that I hope they double it, for you to get back your precious driver license. Guess you couldn´t be arsed to read everything, right?

Just for your tremendous will to go out of the line in this crazy thread, I will just tell you one time. It´s not Oh my, oh my. It´s real, and you just got to live with it.

10 minutes ago, Get Real said:

So in clear speaking, your didn´t have a clue about your violation before somebody made you aware of it.

Asking about the amount???? I told you that I hope they double it, for you to get back your precious driver license. Guess you couldn´t be arsed to read everything, right?

Just for your tremendous will to go out of the line in this crazy thread, I will just tell you one time. It´s not Oh my, oh my. It´s real, and you just got to live with it.

You are out of the line. You want to tell me that you hope I must pay more because I was unaware of my violation and asking if the amount is fair. Relax, don't get so stressed out about other people's life, it isn't healthy.

Anyway, I paid 800 THB and got my driver license back. Nice guys (because they were fluent in English) and they understood that the road is not perfectly constructed.

Thanks for all the contributions and especially the crazy ones.

FIRST, the policeman is right about the traffic offence. you are guilty, as you know.

second, the policeman is not wrong about offering you to pay the fine on the spot.

he was not requesting a  bribe, but offering you to pay the fine - and get a proof of payment - so

you will not have to spend your time going to the police station.

and third - how much would you pay for such an offence in your home country? i am

sure many thousands more...

1 minute ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

FIRST, the policeman is right about the traffic offence. you are guilty, as you know.

second, the policeman is not wrong about offering you to pay the fine on the spot.

he was not requesting a  bribe, but offering you to pay the fine - and get a proof of payment - so

you will not have to spend your time going to the police station.

and third - how much would you pay for such an offence in your home country? i am

sure many thousands more...

Yes, as I said, I never denied the violation. I was not aware of how to handle the situation as I was never stopped before, so I just handed my licenses and said no to everything he said in Thai - he did not speak English, only the last three words were in English, ie. "Go Police station".

Regarding the violation in my home country - well, first of all there are no such weird street signs, it is all very very clearly placed. Second, I never saw a single cop standing in the middle of the road stopping cars in my home country. Third, if you are sorry and didn't want to do the violation, which was clear in my case, the police in my home country could have easily given a verbal warning.

11 hours ago, IsaanFam said:

Yes, as I said, I never denied the violation. I was not aware of how to handle the situation as I was never stopped before, so I just handed my licenses and said no to everything he said in Thai - he did not speak English, only the last three words were in English, ie. "Go Police station".

Regarding the violation in my home country - well, first of all there are no such weird street signs, it is all very very clearly placed. Second, I never saw a single cop standing in the middle of the road stopping cars in my home country. Third, if you are sorry and didn't want to do the violation, which was clear in my case, the police in my home country could have easily given a verbal warning.

well, fourth - in thailand the police love to catch farang, cause they know they will pay the fine.

but usually they do it according to the law.

i once stopped my bike in a red traffic light, and just played with the gas handle, preparing myself

to speed when the light turns green.

a policeman saw it and quickly approached me with a 500 bht fine. when i argued and asked what 

did i do wrong, cause there was no law against VROOOM VROOOM when waiting in traffic light,

he got angry and told me "now you go police station", and there i had to pay 1000 bht.

26 minutes ago, IsaanFam said:

must pay more because I was unaware of my violation and asking if the amount is fair.

But l,ong time ago in this discussion you already admitted to beeing aware????? That´s kindá sad and crazy, isn´t it?

3 hours ago, IsaanFam said:

Blabla, I am not telling that I did not do the violation,

That´s just one time with me. :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

3 hours ago, IsaanFam said:

And yes, even though I didn't try to violate, it happened

That´s the second time you are trying to tell everyone that you were tired of waiting and just tryed to pass the line.

Please don´t give me an headache, and make me go back evewn further. My work is done!

Just now, Get Real said:

But l,ong time ago in this discussion you already admitted to beeing aware????? That´s kindá sad and crazy, isn´t it?

That´s just one time with me. :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

That´s the second time you are trying to tell everyone that you were tired of waiting and just tried to pass the line.

Please don´t give me an headache, and make me go back evewn further. My work is done!

Oh my oh my, more blabla. The road was the entrance to Express Way which I realized too late, so I tried to change the lane as soon as I noticed it, which was too late.

11 hours ago, IsaanFam said:

Oh my oh my, more blabla. The road was the entrance to Express Way which I realized too late, so I tried to change the lane as soon as I noticed it, which was too late.

mate, why don't you get it? thai police are not tourist guides, they

must stop you and charge you if they see you commit offence.

this is how they work. 

maybe all police work like that.

in my home country, i was driving once at 2am an absolutely empty road.

there was a stop sign. i slowed down allmost to complete halt, and than a car behind me

pulled out blue police light, told me to stop and fined me for not stopping completely  in stop sign.

nothing you can do.

2 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

mate, why don't you get it? thai police are not tourist guides, they

must stop you and charge you if they see you commit offence.

this is how they work. 

maybe all police work like that.

in my home country, i was driving once at 2am an absolutely empty road.

there was a stop sign. i slowed down allmost to complete halt, and than a car behind me

pulled out blue police light, told me to stop and fined me for not stopping completely  in stop sign.

nothing you can do.

Why you don't get it? What is wrong here? I ACCEPT the violation and I am RESPONSIBLE. I just explain what exactly happened as the other guy is completely off lying about what I stated. Why is that not understandable?

35 minutes ago, IsaanFam said:

You do know that you should be aware of where you are driving, right? Stop with the bla, bla, bla now. Just face the music guy, you were in the wrong. Capisce?

Maybe change the song too. I mean my oh my, is not working for you. Suggestions below:

• Take this hammer
  • Tokyo Drift/Teriyaki Boyz
  • 2,4,6,8, Motorway

Archived