"Big Joke" kicking football betting out of Thailand during the World Cup!

webfact

"Big Joke" kicking football betting out of Thailand during the World Cup!

2PM.jpg

Pictures (3): Thai Tourist Police

The Tourist Police's star striker - Maj Gen Surachet Hakpal - has given the red card to three online football betting operations in Thailand.

The TPB website featured pictures of the crime busting deputy commissioner, known as Big Joke in the Thai media, taking down website operations in Hua Hin, Nakorn Sri Thammarat and Hat Yai.

2PM1.jpg

One picture showed him with a football. Another showed him meeting troops next to a helicopter.

The joint operations with officers from Regions 7,8 and 9 resulted in many arrests and the seizure of a mountain of electronic equipment used by the gangs to take bets on the World Cup.

19-_180619_0003-1024x683.jpg

Thaivisa notes that last week's attempt to seek the arrest of a Thai woman in London posting disparaging pictures about the military junta online seems to have been put on the back burner leading many to suggest it was a bit of an own goal.

Source: Thai Tourist Police

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-06-20

And the picture with a helicopter is to say what???? good luck to him trying to stop people from gambling, Thai punters are waiting 4 years for such opportunity to blow their hard earned cash to the wind, and than to cry and go out and rob someplace to get some money back to pay the loan sharks...

Big Joke might think he is making some dent in the online gambling but it truth he is trying to push <deleted> uphill with a chopstick. If this government had a half a brain, which it hasn't, they would legalise betting for certain sports with restrictions, like registered bookies and time and bet limitations.

Think of the taxes they would collect for hospitals and education er......for junta and PM popularity buying and more helicopters and huge heavy duty plastic backdrop signage for Big Joke. 

28 minutes ago, webfact said:

The TPB website featured pictures of the crime busting deputy commissioner, known as Big Joke

OK, I'll ask. What's TPB?

For a split second I thought The Pirate Bay. Then I was thinking perhaps Thai PBS. Now I see a link at the foot of the article to the Tourist Police website.

In one of those photo opportunity pics, behind the six bigwigs  there's a sign in the background saying 'Police Tourist Bureau', which would make it PTB.

6 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

Big Joke might think he is making some dent in the online gambling but it truth he is trying to push <deleted> uphill with a chopstick. If this government had a half a brain, which it hasn't, they would legalise betting for certain sports with restrictions, like registered bookies and time and bet limitations.

Think of the taxes they would collect for hospitals and education er......for junta and PM popularity buying and more helicopters and huge heavy duty plastic backdrop signage for Big Joke. 

What do they do with those big plastic signs after these pr news conferences?

Have they not heard of interactive screens?

4 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

What do they do with those big plastic signs after these pr news conferences?

Have they not heard of interactive screens?

Apparently not. Have a look at this banner. A once-off just for the opening of the naval exercise. Must of cost a fortune for the plastic and artwork. And the next day it is thrown away.

Must be a recyclers nightmare and the country is covered in these heavy duty plastic advertising hoardings and now as it seems Big Joke's ostentatious self publicity banners.

Plastic sign.png

21 minutes ago, merlin2002 said:

Nice helicopter $10 million bucks worth https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurocopter_EC155 .... no old Bell helos for the Big Joke, rank has it's privileges... 

Haven't heard the "whup whup" of those old helicopters for a while now. They used to have one at the Border Police base north of Chiang Rai, but that seems to have gone.

Maybe they have finally given up trying to keep them flying...

6 minutes ago, JAG said:

Haven't heard the "whup whup" of those old helicopters for a while now. They used to have one at the Border Police base north of Chiang Rai, but that seems to have gone.

Maybe they have finally given up trying to keep them flying...

Perhaps they're going to use them as patrol cars - with the appropriate 'wide vehicle' sign of course. Or was it 'wide boy'?

The real 'Big Joke' is that like the 'war on drugs',  the 'war on betting' is completely unwinnable.  It simply makes criminals out of otherwise good people.

The "Big Joke" of alcohol prohibition - which didn't work.
ursc3khebhgxxf9fpw46.jpg.ad3c2bfc7a60cd2084ecf8e0beb7487e.jpg

Robert Stack as G-Man and prohibition crusader, Elliot Ness.

Drug use and sports betting prohibitions are in the same category although those insisting on those prohibitions all use that exact same reasoning and rationale.  But it does fill the jails.

6 hours ago, bluesofa said:

OK, I'll ask. What's TPB?

For a split second I thought The Pirate Bay. Then I was thinking perhaps Thai PBS. Now I see a link at the foot of the article to the Tourist Police website.

In one of those photo opportunity pics, behind the six bigwigs  there's a sign in the background saying 'Police Tourist Bureau', which would make it PTB.

It is Tourist Police Bureau - the actual website has it wrong....

3 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

well they'll carry on betting regardless, one way or another. i really am starting to worry about his side kick though. where did she go? she's inactive. i think i miss her ?

You and Horace Beasley both!

Archived