QR code payments - How does it work?

Just curious if anyone using QR code payment here in Thailand?

Today I was at branch of Kasikorn bank for another matter and had a good English speaking staff.

So I asked about the possibility of QR code payment with my Kasikorn account.

She guided me to the K+ application which failed because there is a Thai ID card number required for registration.

She called to the main office and they confirmed this.

For the standalone Alipay app I read that it is still only available in Chinese and that you need a Chinese bank account to register or at least a union pay credit card.

I also saw SCB bank promoting some kind of QR code payment though I'm not sure if this only works with SCB accounts.

She guided me to the K+ application which failed because there is a Thai ID card number required for registration.
She called to the main office and they confirmed this.
I installed the K+ app and was able to register with my passport, I’ve only used the QR code once, because I keep forgetting, and that was to pay my electric bill, the code was printed on the bill, worked fine.

11 hours ago, CLW said:

I installed the K+ myself from the Google Play store, it never asked for Thai ID or foreigner ID, just my card number and PIN code. Now I just log on with my 6 digit assigned PIN code and card pay using QR code amongst other things.

Thank you for the replies.
I think there was some misunderstanding and also my question was quite vague.

To the topic about the Thai ID card. This is about the in-app extension K plus shop which is I think meant for vendors that want to offer their customers QR code payment. Therefore a Thai national ID required.
Here is a video:

The thing I was wondering about and asking is actually a QR code payment at checkout and payment process at vendors, restaurants, coffee shops etc.
Just came back from China and Chinese seem to use it everywhere. Even the smallest mom and pop shops have a small cardboard with their individual QR code to either use Alipay or We Chat.

To me it seems this has not reached Thailand yet and is still under development. Also I can see each bank doing their own thing. See SCB or Kasikorn.

Has someone experience using this system in Thailand? Or even registered for Alipay?
I think I can remember some possibilities to pay with QR code at 7-11 and Family Mart and some fast food restaurants.

Here is a video about the Kasikorn bank QR code payment:

The True Money app offers a similar feature (one of several features that the app offers), but it works the other way arround: A bar code is generated on your phone and the cashier does then scan the barcode. Can be used to pay at 7/11, i tend to use it.

I tried this also but couldn't complete it without a thai id.... silly because you can easily collect money with your acct number. 
You have to activate the feature called prompt pay. In the K+ app you can opt out the checkbox for ID card and use email to receive your activation code or OTP.

Cashless society !
The wet dream of any Government !!!

Full control of everything ... and people think it's funny

That wasn't the question and also not my concern.
With Prompt pay QR code payment there are no details exchanged about the purpose or content of the transaction as in contrast to credit card payments.
You don't have or use a credit card?
Good luck getting any cash in Thailand or for example booking a flight [emoji58]

Was at a fair and market yesterday and looked especially for the possibility of QR code payment at the stalls. I would say 1/3 offered it already. SCB bank had it's own booth and office to setup and promote QR code payment.

The whole thing is marketed under the name Prompt Pay. Mostly branded with SCB. But any bank customer can use it.
Some also using Kasikorn bank. Then the sticker has this cute fat Japanese cat as logo.

For me it works great and I will use it more often in the future.

What surprised me is that either family mart or 7-11 not support this kind of payment yet.

The Family mart near my place only has Samsung Air Pay as option.
Nearby 7-11 has true money, Alipay and WeChat. However 7-11 have their own convenient cash card.

How do you know this?
Because it is a simple bank transaction from account A to account B. In contrast to European countries you don't even need to enter a purpose of the transaction.
So the data includes only name, account number and amount.

So when you buy something the shop knows that "Mr. CLW" with account number "123456" bought items x, y and z. Maybe this info even flows back from the shop to prompt pay.
The shop itself does know exactly what you buy there and if the info from the shops flows back to the bank they know exactly what you bought at any shop.
There are many things that could happen with this data, but just one example: An health insurance buys this data, and if you buy a lot of cigarettes or alcohol they will increase your premium, because obviously you are a high risk customer.
Credit cards do of course allow the same tracking. But i can totally understand when people like brain150 protest against cashless payment methods, and everybody should be aware that there are also negative aspects.

Please read again. I said there are no further details about the items included.

In my opinion, only people who have something to hide are afraid of these new technologies...

44 minutes ago, CLW said:
3 hours ago, yankee99 said:
I tried this also but couldn't complete it without a thai id.... silly because you can easily collect money with your acct number. 

You have to activate the feature called prompt pay. In the K+ app you can opt out the checkbox for ID card and use email to receive your activation code or OTP.

Can i activate prompt pay through K+?

36 minutes ago, jackdd said:

So when you buy something the shop knows that "Mr. CLW" with account number "123456" bought items x, y and z. Maybe this info even flows back from the shop to prompt pay.

The shop itself does know exactly what you buy there and if the info from the shops flows back to the bank they know exactly what you bought at any shop.

There are many things that could happen with this data, but just one example: An health insurance buys this data, and if you buy a lot of cigarettes or alcohol they will increase your premium, because obviously you are a high risk customer.

Credit cards do of course allow the same tracking. But i can totally understand when people like brain150 protest against cashless payment methods, and everybody should be aware that there are also negative aspects.

As you said 'Maybe' and 'if '.

Since that doesn't happen with Promptpay payments no need to worry about using Promptpay.

"For the standalone Alipay app I read that it is still only available in Chinese and that you need a Chinese bank account to register or at least a union pay credit card."

The Alipay app is available in English.

You can sign up and link a non-Chinese credit card to your Alipay account, but you can only use it for buying on Taobao/TMall and perhaps a few other online places. You can't use the QR code function without linking a domestic Chinese bank account. In theory foreigners can do this, but there are some practical obstacles that can make it difficult.

The True Money app offers a similar feature (one of several features that the app offers), but it works the other way arround: A bar code is generated on your phone and the cashier does then scan the barcode. Can be used to pay at 7/11, i tend to use it.

Is the app still available only in Thai? On iOS I don’t see any way to change the language.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, chakeeoyen said:

Is the app still available only in Thai? On iOS I don’t see any way to change the language.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yes, but they did a quite good job choosing the icons, so it's quite easy to use even if you can't read thai

Archived