Measures being taken to cope with oversupply of pineapple in Chiang Rai

webfact

Measures being taken to cope with oversupply of pineapple in Chiang Rai

By Thai PBS

pineapple.jpg

Both short-term and long-term actions will be taken to solve the problem of oversupply of pineapple in the northern provinces of Chiang Rai, according to governor Narongsak Osotthanakkorn.

The measures were meted out in a recent meeting of agencies concerned in the province. Under the short-term measures, all government offices in the province have been instructed to buy pineapple and distribute the fruit for sales at various department stores and retail shops. A pineapple eating week will be held on July 4-6 to help farmers.

Under the long-term measures, the provincial authority will find ways of setting up pineapple processing plants in the province, to which farmers can directly sell their produce. In addition, the farmers will be urged to enter contract farming with a price insurance to guarantee that pineapple price is not too low.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/measures-taken-cope-oversupply-pineapple-chiang-rai/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-06-21

If there is an over supply then sell them cheap so everyone can enjoy them. The Thai pineapples are the best I have ever eaten. Would be great if they could be exported to Australia to compete with our rubbish we get here.  If there are still too many, take them to the forest and feed them to the wild elephants.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

according to governor Narongsak Osotthanakkorn....A pineapple eating week will be held on July 4-6 to help farmers.

While I am sympathetic to the farmers, you just couldn't make this up. Oh, sorry, you could. Bureaucracy at its best.

Btw, I take it this is a bureaucratic week - July 4-6 is three days.

Maybe the pineapple growers could have a talk with the durian growers regarding marketing strategies for their fruit.

Whilst I feel sympathy for the pineapple growers who are now victims of their own success ie. having produced way too much fruit, it's a bit of a stretch to expect Govt organisations to automatically bail you out.

Of course, this also happens in many other countries, not just Thailand.

Farming is a business. Good years and bad years are part of the deal.

Now, what's the number for that Chinese guy that recently made durians so desirable to Chinese consumers ?

After reading about the over supply I went out to support the farmers at the roadside stands. Small pineapples were 20 baht each. So I declined. Plenty of money being made by middle men here in Jomtien.

1 hour ago, Ulic said:

After reading about the over supply I went out to support the farmers at the roadside stands. Small pineapples were 20 baht each. So I declined. Plenty of money being made by middle men here in Jomtien.

Could it be that they were honey pineapples, smaller, sweeter and a bit more expensive?

7 hours ago, jaiyen said:

If there is an over supply then sell them cheap so everyone can enjoy them. The Thai pineapples are the best I have ever eaten. Would be great if they could be exported to Australia to compete with our rubbish we get here.  If there are still too many, take them to the forest and feed them to the wild elephants.

On the roadside outside of Chiang Rai they are 4 baht each (reduced from 5). In the villages out in the countryside they are selling them in the markets at 2 baht per kilo, so they cannot make them much cheaper

Archived