Thailand elite visa - Advice needed

The OP was very well informed about 12 months extension because it says so in his passport page where the extension stamp is to notify the end date of the extension.

I can understand blaming immigration because they should never processed the 90 day report after the extension end date but blaming Elite is just childish

• Like 1

8 hours ago, vipsvvvv said:

i do understand that some people find that this is my fault for not be well informed about the immigration law,  but also u have to understand that i have no prior experience dealing with this kind of matters i was just following the ticket i was receiving after each 90 day report if somebody told me that i was overstayed before the last 2- 90 days reports i would gladly pay the fine and move on , now im overstayed 150 days because the officer didnt check properly my passport which is unexpectable and facing a ban for one year

I do sympathise a little, as there have been mistakes made by TE and Immigration and I do think that both should have been more observant whilst processing the 90 day reports.

However, it is your responsibility to check the dates for the permission to stay in your passport and to read the information given to you by TE, had you done so, then this situation wouldn't have arisen.

It is no different than knowing when your passport expires, the issuing authority certainly won't be reminding you to renew.

Hopefully TE can sort this out without it resulting in a ban and you, plus others learn from the experience.

its a great deal under 50 or over 50 i love having it. I would hate to have to go through all the bs on a yearly basis. Extensions are a breeze;having to get a full blown visa yearly would be torcherous 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jackdd said:

But the passport issuing authority also doesn't get paid 100k per year or advertises like this:

100% agree, that is not really what I am saying, TE should have spotted the potential overstay and reminded the OP, of that there is no doubt.

TE do also make the extension of stay requirement quite clear in their advertising:

Privilege Entry Visa
- Privilege Entry Visa were issued since 2013, an improved version of Elite visa.
- An Elite Privilege visa sticker has a validity of 5 years. 
- Upon arriving Thailand member will get 12 month visa stay. Member may do a stay extension at immigration centre if you plan to stay longer than 12 months (Immigration Fee of 1,900 Baht apply).  
- The 90 days reporting a.k.a. Residential reporting is required by Elite member. Member report online viaThailand Immigration website or report at province's Immigration office which you live or via Elite office if you live in Bangkok, you simply hand over your passport at Elite office and collect it back once it's done. 

44 minutes ago, humbug said:

its a great deal under 50 or over 50 i love having it. I would hate to have to go through all the bs on a yearly basis. Extensions are a breeze;having to get a full blown visa yearly would be torcherous 

I always enjoy my yearly Extensions. I enjoy talking to the other folks and just people watching. 

I always meet the coolest people at immigration. 

• Confused 2

8 hours ago, garyk said:

What is the difference in the TEV and a regular retirement visa? Sounds like the regular visa is cheaper and much easier..

If you are under 50, do not work in Thailand, do not have a Thai spouse or kids and not at school in Thailand then really Thailand Elite is the only visa available.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, thaiclan said:

If you are under 50, do not work in Thailand, do not have a Thai spouse or kids and not at school in Thailand then really Thailand Elite is the only visa available.  

Bogus info.

Ever hear of a METV= Multiple Entry Tourist Visa?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, garyk said:

I always enjoy my yearly Extensions. I enjoy talking to the other folks and just people watching. 

I always meet the coolest people at immigration. 

Don't know if you are serious and maybe sounds odd, but I agree.

I just did mine and met a guy who I plan on playing golf with in the future.

Each time I go I seem to have a nice conversation with someone.

Never a bad experience at all.

3 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Bogus info.

An METV is valid for 6 months.  It is of no use to a long-stay expat under 50 and not working in Thailand or married to a Thai.
TE allows us to stay for 5 years (either leaving once per year or applying for extension)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Bogus info.

It's kinda annoying to go back to Europe every 8-9 months. Also no idea how the embassys / consulates react if you are just doing them in a Visa run style: Fly to Europe, get the Visa and fly back in the evening or the next day. Will they issue them without limits?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, thaiclan said:

An METV is valid for 6 months.  It is of no use to a long-stay expat under 50 and not working in Thailand or married to a Thai.
TE allows us to stay for 5 years (either leaving once per year or applying for extension)

If you know what you are doing you can get 9 months+ on it. 

Of no use?  I guess if one does not meet the qualifications....

56 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Don't know if you are serious and maybe sounds odd, but I agree.

I just did mine and met a guy who I plan on playing golf with in the future.

Each time I go I seem to have a nice conversation with someone.

Never a bad experience at all.

No I am serious, same as you, never a bad experience.

And always meet people I like!

I don't drink or go to bars here, never have. The only people I have seen at immigration that were having a really bad time are folks nursing a bad hangover, or their paperwork not in order. Luckily I have never had that problem.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Mattd said:

This maybe the case, BUT you must extend the permission to stay once a year over that period of 5 years, which is what the OP failed to do, hence the situation he is.

OK, that may be the case. I've had a TEV for 2-3 years now, I've only ever posted my 90 day report to Immigration, never did anything different for the annual. I never thought that there's a requirement for an annual visit, partly cos there's no money seasoning requirement, as I said I just do my 90 day postal-thing, no problems.

Edited by Andrew65

23 hours ago, elviajero said:

There’s no mix up. The OP simply didn’t understand, despite being given the terms of the visa/permit by TE, that they need to leave once a year or apply for an extension of stay; and didn’t understand the difference between permission to stay and 90 day reporting.

There's no requirement to leave annually with a TEV (in the same way as there isn't with a retirement visa), I've had one for 2 or 3 years now. As I said in another comment, in 2 or 3 years I've only ever done my 90 day report by mail, never anything annually, there isn't a money-seasoning factor, for one thing.

1 hour ago, Andrew65 said:

There's no requirement to leave annually with a TEV (in the same way as there isn't with a retirement visa), I've had one for 2 or 3 years now. As I said in another comment, in 2 or 3 years I've only ever done my 90 day report by mail, never anything annually, there isn't a money-seasoning factor, for one thing.

Can you post a picture of the last stamp you have in your passport?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andrew65 said:

OK, that may be the case. I've had a TEV for 2-3 years now, I've only ever posted my 90 day report to Immigration, never did anything different for the annual. I never thought that there's a requirement for an annual visit, partly cos there's no money seasoning requirement, as I said I just do my 90 day postal-thing, no problems.

If you have not left the country and re-entered or applied for a one year extension at immigration (1900 baht fee) you are have been on an overstay since your first one year entry ended.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

There's no requirement to leave annually with a TEV (in the same way as there isn't with a retirement visa),

I know and didn’t say there was. I said you need to leave once a year OR apply for an extension of stay each year.

The visa is valid for 5 year, but you only get permission to stay for 1 year at a time.

As I said in another comment, in 2 or 3 years I've only ever done my 90 day report by mail, never anything annually

If that’s the case you have the same problem as the OP and have overstayed!

there isn't a money-seasoning factor, for one thing.

Correct, but you still need to complete an extension of stay form (TM.47) each year and pay 1,900 baht to get a new 1 year permit to stay stamped in your passport.

Reporting your address every 90 days has nothing to do with your permission to stay.

If you haven’t been applying for extensions of stay each year you need to contact Thailand Elite asap.

Edited by elviajero

3 hours ago, elviajero said:

I know and didn’t say there was. I said you need to leave once a year OR apply for an extension of stay each year.

The visa is valid for 5 year, but you only get permission to stay for 1 year at a time.

If that’s the case you have the same problem as the OP and have overstayed!

Correct, but you still need to complete an extension of stay form (TM.47) each year and pay 1,900 baht to get a new 1 year permit to stay stamped in your passport.

Reporting your address every 90 days has nothing to do with your permission to stay.

If you haven’t been applying for extensions of stay each year you need to contact Thailand Elite asap.

I repeat, you DO NOT need to do an annual report (or annual visa-runs) with a TEV. Yes, the 90 days, no annual. As I said, I've had one for 2-3 years now. I have a 5 year TEV, no requirement to leave Thailand in that time, just 90 day reports.

Elviajero, do you have a TEV? If you do not, how would you know better than someone that has?

Edited by Andrew65

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If you have not left the country and re-entered or applied for a one year extension at immigration (1900 baht fee) you are have been on an overstay since your first one year entry ended.

Not so Joe. I have all my 90 day report slips. Up to a year ago I'd spent 18 months in LOS, never left, and only did the 90 day thing during that time. If it wasn't so, why have a TEV? It pi**ses me off that I even have to the 90 days, after forking out all that cash.

Even if on a retirement visa, there's no need to leave annually, only to do the annual money-seasoning report at immigration.

9 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

Not so Joe. I have all my 90 day report slips. Up to a year ago I'd spent 18 months in LOS, never left, and only did the 90 day thing during that time. If it wasn't so, why have a TEV? It pi**ses me off that I even have to the 90 days, after forking out all that cash.

Even if on a retirement visa, there's no need to leave annually, only to do the annual money-seasoning report at immigration.

So often imprecise terminology causes misunderstanding.

It's actually quite simple.  If you've spent 18 continuous months in Thailand without leaving and you haven't filed the following application (TM 7) with immigration then you are on overstay:

http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/download/form_tm7.pdf

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

I repeat, you DO NOT need to do an annual report (or annual visa-runs) with a TEV. Yes, the 90 days, no annual. As I said, I've had one for 2-3 years now. I have a 5 year TEV, no requirement to leave Thailand in that time, just 90 day reports.

Elviajero, do you have a TEV? If you do not, how would you know better than someone that has?

I repeat. I know you don’t need to make an annual report (no such thing) OR do a “visa run”, and I know you have to make 90 day reports.

WE are telling you that IF YOU DON’T LEAVE THE COUNTRY EACH YEAR YOU MUST APPLY FOR AN EXTENSION OF STAY EACH YEAR.

The visa is valid for 5 years, which allows unlimited entries during the 5 years. The visa only gives you entry to the country, Immigration Officers issue your permission to stay. The permission to stay you receive on each entry is LIMITED TO 1 YEAR. They  don’t give you permission to stay in the country continuously for 5 years.

90 DAY REPORTS DO NOT EXTEND OR GIVE YOU PERMISSION TO STAY. It is simply a report required to update your address.

I don’t have a TEV (you mean a Privilege Entry Visa), but that doesn’t mean I’m less knowledgeable than you. 

I repeat. If you have stayed continuously in the country for longer than 1 year since you last entered the country, AND you haven’t applied for an extension of stay from immigration, you have overstayed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, skatewash said:

So often imprecise terminology causes misunderstanding.

It's actually quite simple.  If you've spent 18 continuous months in Thailand without leaving and you haven't filed the following application (TM 7) with immigration then you are on overstay:

http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/download/form_tm7.pdf

No problem with terminology. If you have a 5 year TEV you do not need to do annuals or leave Thailand. I've been on one for 2 or 3 years now, so I should know. There's no financial reporting requirement when you have a TEV, no showing 400k or 800k annually. This is the main function of the annual report.

I post off a TM47 every 90 days & have yet to have any problems, or been told to do anything differently.

I stand corrected ?

You, andrew65, evidently do not need to file a TM 7.  However, I would strongly advise anyone else in your  particular circumstances to make a TM 7 application at immigration if they intend to remain in Thailand for more than a year and wish to avoid fines, deportation, and bans from entering the country.

Like so much in Thailand it really is up to you.  Best wishes!

2 minutes ago, elviajero said:

I repeat. I know you don’t need to make an annual report (no such thing) OR do a “visa run”, and I know you have to make 90 day reports.

WE are telling you that IF YOU DON’T LEAVE THE COUNTRY EACH YEAR YOU MUST APPLY FOR AN EXTENSION OF STAY EACH YEAR.

The visa is valid for 5 years, which allows unlimited entries during the 5 years. The visa only gives you entry to the country, Immigration Officers issue your permission to stay. The permission to stay you receive on each entry is LIMITED TO 1 YEAR. They  don’t give you permission to stay in the country continuously for 5 years.

90 DAY REPORTS DO NOT EXTEND OR GIVE YOU PERMISSION TO STAY. It is simply a report required to update your address.

I don’t have a TEV (you mean a Privilege Entry Visa), but that doesn’t mean I’m less knowledgeable than you. 

I repeat. If you have stayed continuously in the country for longer than 1 year since you last entered the country, AND you haven’t applied for an extension of stay from immigration, you have overstayed.

You're absolutely wrong. I have an old friend who's had a TEV since before they started them, around 2006 I think. He will absolutely confirm what I say.

Yes, you can stay continuously for 5 years, what do you think someone would stump-up 500k Baht for?!

7 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

No problem with terminology. If you have a 5 year TEV you do not need to do annuals or leave Thailand. I've been on one for 2 or 3 years now, so I should know. There's no financial reporting requirement when you have a TEV, no showing 400k or 800k annually. This is the main function of the annual report.

I post off a TM47 every 90 days & have yet to have any problems, or been told to do anything differently.

If you so desire you can read the OP's email he received from immigration.  It is a good example of what being told differently looks like.  ?