Bangkok CR-1 Application Experience

So, I’d mentioned in a recent post that I had petitioned for a United States immigrant (CR-1) visa for my wife last year.
I’ve had a couple of PM’s about my experience, so thought it might be helpful if I detailed our timeline for folks as a reference point.
Usual disclaimers, this was in 2017 and past performance does not guarantee future results!

General Background

I had been resident in Thailand for many years, which allowed me to file the I-130 petition at USCIS in Bangkok, rather than file at the US Service Center, this is commonly referred to as a DCF (Direct Consular Filing) This shortens the I-130 approval time considerably.
There is a minimum residency, I seem to recall it’s 6 months prior to filing but cant be certain, that permit’s this action.
Even though me and Mrs G had been together for many years, we only registered the marriage in 2016, when I was thinking about repatriating, which mean that we could only do CR-1 rather than IR-1, since we had been married < 2 years

Activity
I-130 Submitted to USCIS Bangkok Day - 0
I-130 Approved by USCIS Day - 64
I-130 Approval Mailed Day - 65
I-130 Approval Received Day - 78
Packet 3 Received (BNK#) Day - 78
Police Cert Requested Day - 78
DS 260 Submitted Day - 84
Interview Notice (Pkt 4) Received (email) Day - 92
Police Cert Received Day - 93
Medical Check Performed (Bumrungrad) Day - 95
Interview Day - 100

Passport & Visa Received Day - 107

The approval from USCIS gets mailed by some super slow ThaiPost rate, I seem to recall it was franked with something like ฿3 postage, so yes it did take that long to be delivered and it arrived the same day as the Pkt 3 from the Embassy.

Mrs G’s interview was quick. She was inside the embassy at 7:30am, out at 9:15am. Paid the processing fee, handed over the original documents for review, then waited for the interview. They asked her a sum total of 3 simple questions and that was it

After we received her passport and visa back from the embassy, I paid for the immigrant fee online with her A number prior to getting on a plane

When we got to the US, Mrs G’s green card and SSN card showed up at the house about 4 weeks after we got home.
You don’t need to make a special application for a SSN that can be requested on the DS260

Hope this is of some reference help for others embarking on the process

• 2 weeks later...

To answer a PM (please ask me in the thread, nothing is that confidential), the police report is a very simple document, and for us at least it took less than two weeks.

Don't stress about it, I 'think' the only issue is if your spouse has at sometime ended in the 'monkey house'

THAI_POLICE_Example.jpg

• 6 months later...

Thank you kindly for posting the above timeline.   We began the process for wife a couple weeks ago.  (First week in January)  Time to make USA the domicile again, and just vacation here from time to time.  Our travel plans are to return stateside in August.   We have been legally married four years here. 

May I inquire, since you were a resident here did you have to explain why your were going to make the USA your primary domicle again?  (assuming you were here most of the time)

Also assume you filed an I-864.  I am not clear when the original is filed.  Can you clarify?   I know the USCIS didn't want when we filed the I-130.

One final inquiry please.   Once the "sealed" packet is in hand, and you fly stateside, what happens when you arrive?   Was there another interview or did the CPB just take the packet at counter? 

Again, thank you for providing the time line.  

1 hour ago, KuhnKarl said:

Thank you kindly for posting the above timeline.   We began the process for wife a couple weeks ago.  (First week in January)  Time to make USA the domicile again, and just vacation here from time to time.  Our travel plans are to return stateside in August.   We have been legally married four years here. 

May I inquire, since you were a resident here did you have to explain why your were going to make the USA your primary domicle again?  (assuming you were here most of the time)

Also assume you filed an I-864.  I am not clear when the original is filed.  Can you clarify?   I know the USCIS didn't want when we filed the I-130.

One final inquiry please.   Once the "sealed" packet is in hand, and you fly stateside, what happens when you arrive?   Was there another interview or did the CPB just take the packet at counter? 

Again, thank you for providing the time line.  

No, I didn't need to explain why we wanted to repatriate.

The I-864 is submitted after the I-130 is approved

When you and sealed packet arrive at the port of entry, you and your wife go though the New Immigrant line. There is no interview, it's just admin process (be prepared to be patient. In Chicago it took  30-45 mins as I recall) and your wife will get the temp I-551 stamp in her passport

Thank you again for the insights.  One final (promise) question that may assist others and us.   My understanding is that there is a 6 month validity window until you need to stateside.    However, from research, it appears that the window begins on the date of the applicant's medical exam and NOT the date of the interview / issue of entry Visa. 

Can you clarify if this is correct?   As example, say get packet then go to physical exam.  But don't get interview at embassy until two months later.   Then your entry would need to be in four months, not six, so that the physical doesn't expire. 

Once more thanks, and good fortunes to anyone wishing to return stateside with a lovely Thai wife...   Me thinks the paper trail will be the easy part, it's what come after change of domicle that may be daunting.  

Cheers!

26 minutes ago, KuhnKarl said:

Thank you again for the insights.  One final (promise) question that may assist others and us.   My understanding is that there is a 6 month validity window until you need to stateside.    However, from research, it appears that the window begins on the date of the applicant's medical exam and NOT the date of the interview / issue of entry Visa. 

Can you clarify if this is correct?   As example, say get packet then go to physical exam.  But don't get interview at embassy until two months later.   Then your entry would need to be in four months, not six, so that the physical doesn't expire. 

Once more thanks, and good fortunes to anyone wishing to return stateside with a lovely Thai wife...   Me thinks the paper trail will be the easy part, it's what come after change of domicle that may be daunting.  

Cheers!

Basically she'll go to Brumrungrad 2 or 3 days before the interview date, then you must enter within 6 months. The reason it's all together is that you need the interview letter (Pkt 4) to take with you for the medical exam

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Me and my thai wife made a appointment oct. 16 at uscis for the i130. Last appointment date is 18th then no more. 

From your time line seems after 2 months everything starts moving. 

The I-864 needs to be handed with the wife for her embassy appointment? 

Do they make the appointment or do you? 

1 hour ago, keithet said:

Me and my thai wife made a appointment oct. 16 at uscis for the i130. Last appointment date is 18th then no more. 

From your time line seems after 2 months everything starts moving. 

The I-864 needs to be handed with the wife for her embassy appointment? 

Do they make the appointment or do you? 

I honestly can't remember when the I-864 was submitted.

But as for the embassy interview date, that is specified by the embassy in Pkt 4

Archived