Majority of Americans say Trump should agree to interview with Mueller - poll

webfact

Majority of Americans say Trump should agree to interview with Mueller - poll

By Maria Caspani

2018-06-21T205646Z_1_LYNXMPEE5K2MH_RTROPTP_3_USA-TRUMP-RUSSIA.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Special Counsel Robert Mueller departs after briefing members of the U.S. Senate on his investigation into potential collusion between Russia and the Trump campaign on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC, U.S., June 21, 2017. REUTERS/Joshua Roberts/File Photo

(Reuters) - Most Americans think President Donald Trump should agree to an interview with Special Counsel Robert Mueller, if asked, a new Reuters/Ipsos poll shows.

A majority of Democrats wants Trump to consent to an interview while Republicans appear divided after months of negotiations between Trump and Mueller's teams and the president's changing position on the matter.

The following are some key findings from the poll:

Sixty percent of U.S. adults said President Trump should agree to an interview with Special Counsel Mueller, to answer questions about whether there was any coordination between associates of Trump's 2016 election campaign and Russia.

Trump has repeatedly said there was no collusion, and Russia has denied election meddling.

Fifty percent of registered Republicans said in the poll that Trump should not agree to an interview with Mueller while more than 1 in 3 said he should. Eighty-three percent of registered Democrats said they were in favour of the meeting.

In recent months, Trump has threatened to fire Mueller, drawing bipartisan criticism from lawmakers and the public. A Reuters/Ipsos poll conducted in May showed that 40 percent of Americans said Trump should not fire Mueller, while 27 percent said he should and 34 said they were unsure.

The Reuters/Ipsos poll surveyed 3,532 adults across the United States online and in English from June 9-18. It has a credibility interval, a margin of error, of about 2 percentage points.

(Reporting by Maria Caspani, Editing by Chris Kahn and David Gregorio)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-06-22

Seems strange not to want to cooperate, given that he says has not done anything wrong re: conspiring with Russia to affect the election.

Spend a day or two, be honest, sort it out, clear your name and move on.

He has immense protections: he can't be indicted (while in office), and while he might be impeached he will never be convicted by trial in the Senate.

What's the big deal? 

He hasn’t even tried to help with the investigation, which means he is guilty of something.  He’s a con man that has always seen himself as above the law, and now there is serious evidence in the hands of the investigation team.  I don’t think DT will be found colluding,  but tax evasion and money laundering is in the cards-oh, and lying about virtually everything 

I think PT should listen to his legal consul . He would be in a heap of trouble, goin into the lions den filled with perjury traps,after all ,he isn't all ways precise with his words .Then again who knows the Mueller Investigation could be a mute point by then, a after thought.Have you noticed on all the news networks, everybody is hurrying and getting their finishing touches for publication on their new books .

10 minutes ago, riclag said:

I think PT should listen to his legal consul . He would be in a heap of trouble, goin into the lions den,after all ,he isn't all ways precise with his words .Then again who knows the Mueller Investigation could be a mute point by then, a after thought.Have you noticed on all the news networks, everybody is hurrying and getting their finishing touches for publication on their new books .

"after all ,he isn't all ways precise with his words "

I thought he says it like it is?

if it is true that the pollster didn't disclose which states, how can the poll be considered legitimate ?  that said, a majority of american adults voted for clinton, add a few more of the independents that are sickened by trump's actions and it seems easy to get to 60%.

27 minutes ago, buick said:

if it is true that the pollster didn't disclose which states, how can the poll be considered legitimate?

Professional polling organizations know how to properly weight their poll responses to ensure they get a sample that accurately represents the population as a whole.  It's never a perfect representation, which is why polls have margins of error.

http://www.applied-survey-methods.com/weight.html

1 hour ago, riclag said:

He would be in a heap of trouble, goin into the lions den filled with perjury traps,after all ,he isn't all ways precise with his words .

"He isn't always precise with his words."  Funny.  Another way to say it is TRUMP CONSTANTLY LIES HIS ASS OFF!  So yes, he will perjure himself if forced to testify under oath.  Guaranteed.

Just now, Berkshire said:

"He isn't always precise with his words."  Funny.  Another way to say it is TRUMP CONSTANTLY LIES HIS ASS OFF!  So yes, he will perjure himself if forced to testify under oath.  Guaranteed.

Yeah and Democrats never lie. Nor do expats and sexpats who are perfect.

1 minute ago, Justfine said:

Why was this poll taken,June 9, before the IG report hearings 18-19th?

Just now, Justfine said:

Geez, that same argument again.  These expats and sexpats and Democrats you speak of aren't POTUS.  And no, no one lies as much as Trump.  Trump has got to be the most dishonest person I've ever seen.  And this includes politicians, lawyers, used car salesman, snake oil salesman, bargirls...Trump tops them all by a large margin.

If he has committed no crime, and truly wants to clear his name... he should do the interview. He said he would months ago. The only reason for him not to take this interview is if he is in fear of incriminating himself, or if he is such a pathological liar that he knows he can not tell the truth and will commit perjury. Either way, a guy who won't give an interview for those reasons really should not be allowed to run the most powerful nation in the world. 

5 hours ago, Becker said:

And I'm sure you don't understand lots and lots of things, which is a very common affliction amongst the deplorables - and it's not cute at all.

Back on topic;

The Swamp King has promised to do the Interview with Mueller so he should do it because a person is only as good as his word, right?

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/01/donald-trump-lies-liar-effect-brain-214658

The POTUS is not required to tell the truth.   

If at any time  there are legal problems he can pardon whatever he did or may do.   At least that's according to him.

Who elected this guy?

5 minutes ago, jcsmith said:

If he has committed no crime, and truly wants to clear his name... he should do the interview. He said he would months ago. The only reason for him not to take this interview is if he is in fear of incriminating himself, or if he is such a pathological liar that he knows he can not tell the truth and will commit perjury. Either way, a guy who won't give an interview for those reasons really should not be allowed to run the most powerful nation in the world. 

Rubbish. He's busy running the country.

You Democrats need to get over the loss.

26 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

11 minutes ago, jcsmith said:

So what are his chances of getting a fair interview,mind you, you must put on your deplorable hat(MAGA) and  tuck your bias away in some far off distance place.

1 minute ago, riclag said:

So what are his chances of getting a fair interview,mind you, you must put on your deplorable hat and  tuck your bias away in some far off distance place.

I have a great deal of respect for Robert Mueller.  He's competent and professional.  Above all else, he's fair.  With the world watching, I'm sure Trump would be treated fairly.  But if you think that asking tough questions is not fair, well then, we may disagree. 

3 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

I have a great deal of respect for Robert Mueller.  He's competent and professional.  Above all else, he's fair.  With the world watching, I'm sure Trump would be treated fairly.  But if you think that asking tough questions is not fair, well then, we may disagree. 

I use to think the FBI heads where professionals until DT came along.

9 hours ago, khwaibah said:

Poll was taken in Cali.  Oregon ,Washington, New York and Massachusetts. Yap..thats across the US.?

Do you have a link for that statement?

"50 per cent of registered Republicans said in the poll that Trump should not agree to an interview with Mueller while more than 1 in 3 said he should."

https://www.malaymail.com/s/1644339/majority-of-americans-say-trump-should-agree-to-interview-with-mueller-poll

This suggests the poll was not taken exclusively in Democrat majority states.

19 minutes ago, Rhys said:

..hmm the majority of Americans and the small college of X, agreed with him that is known as  CS45 special.

What is "college of X" ?

You clearly know little about the USA presidential  election  process.    College of X?

Try that again,  Mate.

Please drop back into the background.

1 hour ago, riclag said:

Why was this poll taken,June 9, before the IG report hearings 18-19th?

Because the IG report dealt only with the former FBI Director James Comey's failure to follow the agency's standard procedures in his handling of a probe into Hillary Clinton's emails, it had no relevance to the issue of possible collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia.

Trump said the IG report cleared him of any collusion. It did not because as that was not obviously the topic of the report.

Therefore, the Reuter poll had no connection with the hearings.

Majority of Americans appear to lack legal sense. Interview with Mueller by President Trump is fraught with legal danger and is totally unnecessary. I don't know what this man must do to win the approval of US citizenry. He has done more good for the US internally and around the world than any previous President in modern history. Are all these "surveys" taken of recent graduates of Univ of California, Berkeley?

If I was Mueller, my first question to Trump, would be, do you really like Pee Pee? My second, would be, did Stormy swallow for the 130k? My third question would be purely self-interest, does Melania enjoy anal! As you can see, I have a one-dimensional interest in the ongoing saga, which is the Trump Presidency.

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, oldrunner said:

Interview with Mueller by President Trump is fraught with legal danger and is totally unnecessary.

Patently false.

He can plead the fifth.

He can say he doesn't remember.

He cannot be indicted (criminally, while in office), even if he were to "fall into a perjury trap". And he probably could pardon himself for perjury.

He did nothing wrong, not sure why his supporters assume he did?

He knows what happened, and what didn't happen. Totally necessary.

Go sit for a day or two, golf can wait, and clear the air so we can move on.

Even if he is impeached - which I can't see happening, there will never be 67 Senators voting to convict.

Not sure why this has to be so difficult?

7 hours ago, bristolboy said:

I would say you have a gift for lying, but the fact is, Trump supporters overwhelmingly have a gift for gullibility. . And there's a lot of hard working and hard lying Macedonians who are grateful for that.

"The Reuters/Ipsos poll surveyed 3,532 adults across the United States online and in English from June 9-18. It has a credibility interval, a margin of error, of about 2 percentage points."

I think the fact that anyone believes a poll is stupid.  I don't care what the pollsters say, surveying 3,532 adults and coming up with percentages for the nation is hogwash. Certainly did not work for the presidential election. Pollsters are intent on one thing, selling their information to someone foolish enough to buy it. It's like the news relying on things trending on Twitter to show interest in something.  Doesn't mean a thing to most people. 

As far as Trump being interviewed by Mueller, if Mueller can't solve the main issue of his investigation without Trump then he has next to nothing and is only hoping to entrap Trump. Anyone who talks to the FBI, police, or other law enforcement without a lawyer, whether guilty or not, is a fool.  If at all possible you don't talk to them about anything if you are the subject of the investigation.  It's to be avoided at all costs.

Archived