Queuing system via smart phone set to make immigration matters in Chonburi easier

Jonathan Fairfield

Immigration in Bluport Hua Hin has had this electronic queuing system in place since they opened a couple of years ago.

A first of its kind queuing system will be in place meaning users of the service will not need to waste time in the office.

After getting a queue number and scanning the QR code into a phone they can go shopping in the center and monitor via their phone when they should return to the office for their turn.

So not really new is it?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, apart from hiring hundreds if not thousands of unnecessary civil servants in all those immigration offices they now branch out on Apps. This is so typical for governments; Thailand is possibly a little further up the ladder than others, though declining tourist quality speaks for itself.

Alternatively they could have cut (substantially) on the bureaucratic red tape on papers, copies, signatures and passport pictures. This whole thing is a farce. Any longterm visa should cost, say, THB 5'000 - THB 10'000, include multiple re-entries and extensions should be fileable electronically. Do away with this 90-days-joke; it only serves to prove that who-is-who-on-the-banana-boat. Rather introduce proof of health insurance and third party liability insurance. 

You only want to know if the working alien is paying taxes and the non-working alien is - financially speaking - not a potential burden on Thailand. 

Or am I getting something wrong again? 

Alternatively they could have cut (substantially) on the bureaucratic red tape on papers, copies, signatures and passport pictures. This whole thing is a farce. Any longterm visa should cost, say, THB 5'000 - THB 10'000, include multiple re-entries and extensions should be fileable electronically.

I have plenty of spare time and would rather get my extension for just 1900B and some photocopies once a year than pay 10,000B for the same thing without the paperwork. As for multiple re-entry permits, not everyone wants one. Some people never leave the country at all. With the current system, those who do want one can pay for one. Those who dont want one have the option to save the money. Seems fair to me.

16 hours ago, amexpat said:

Bring it on!  90 days online works great for me. 

Sadly saying something positive about thais or thailand is frowned upon by many on here.

The system hasnt been given a chance and already it is being denigrated.

I have NEVER had a problem at chonburi immigration.

The staff are courteous, efficient and always helpful.

If you are grumpy and arrogant well you will be treated accordingly.

So long as your documents are in order just scan the QR code and the system will do the rest - your date is set to get that all important extension. 

Of course, in order to verify your documents are in order, you have to wait in all the same lines and do all the same paperwork.  But now, in addition, you will have to scan this QR code to finish the process.  

At least, if it's anything like the "use of computers" in the Thai post office, which is just an added step that does nothing for efficiency.  

1 hour ago, Sydebolle said:

So, apart from hiring hundreds if not thousands of unnecessary civil servants in all those immigration offices they now branch out on Apps. This is so typical for governments; Thailand is possibly a little further up the ladder than others, though declining tourist quality speaks for itself.

Alternatively they could have cut (substantially) on the bureaucratic red tape on papers, copies, signatures and passport pictures. This whole thing is a farce. Any longterm visa should cost, say, THB 5'000 - THB 10'000, include multiple re-entries and extensions should be fileable electronically. Do away with this 90-days-joke; it only serves to prove that who-is-who-on-the-banana-boat. Rather introduce proof of health insurance and third party liability insurance. 

You only want to know if the working alien is paying taxes and the non-working alien is - financially speaking - not a potential burden on Thailand. 

Or am I getting something wrong again? 

Should be possible to get report about my personal data that are already in their system, and then - if nothing has changed - simply press the "no changes" button to get a receipt that my extension is done now.

17 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

the last Thai government app wanted access to everything on your phone!

can't remember which one it was. report corruption or something like that. :cheesy:

Not worried about the mobile phone stuff I am a hopeless user of a mobile phone. But I tell you what next time I do my visa extension I might pop down to Chonburi Looks like a couple of Nice Thai lady immigration workers there . And for the gay guys there always the guy in the middle also. Anything is an improvement to what we have up here

1 hour ago, Kerryd said:

The instructions and the User Terms and Conditions are in English.

I just downloaded it on the Oppo and installed it.
When you open it it asks permission to access photos, media and files on your device (nothing naughty on my phone so no problem).

Then it asks permission to access this device's location (they know where I am already and I'm not hiding so again, no problem).

Then it asks permission to take pictures and video - wait - WHAT ? I'm not an expert on apps but it seems to me that giving that permission would allow them to take pics (and/or video) any time they want, for any reason.
If you select "Deny" it tells you that you must Allow all permissions to continue. You are then left at the User Terms and Conditions page. 

I can't see anywhere where they mention any kind of limit to what they can access (i.e. social media pages, especially if you are auto-logged in) or any limitation to how they can use the camera.

Uninstalled App. 

This app is scandalous, but apparently only a couple of people on this thread recognize it as such.

If you carry a smart phone you already have a tracking device. If you download apps like this one you are voluntarily giving away your privacy and with that the major part of what we call freedom.

Most countries in the western world have become surveillance states. Thailand is behind the curve but trying hard to catch up. Right now giving up your freedom is voluntary and most people have blundered into doing so without realizing it, or understanding the consequences. Having done so already the usual excuse is: “Oh well, so what, everyone does it and I’ve nothing to hide” or “But it is better for my security”.

It may not be long now before owning and carrying a tracking device (a smartphone or other) becomes compulsory. Many institutions (like banks) already make it difficult (but not yet impossible) to open accounts or do business without a telephone number.

What happens if you do not a smart phone and if I did I cewrt6ainly would not load anything from this government on it at all. They can make their life easier if they did away with 90 day reporting for those on retirement or marriage visas, it is a headache for them and for us, serves no purpose and opften really gets up my nose , queueing to say hello I am here. 

2 minutes ago, Khun Paul said:

What happens if you do not a smart phone and if I did I cewrt6ainly would not load anything from this government on it at all. They can make their life easier if they did away with 90 day reporting for those on retirement or marriage visas, it is a headache for them and for us, serves no purpose and opften really gets up my nose , queueing to say hello I am here. 

Currently there is no law that states that every individual must own a telephone (of any type), but I fear this will come.

From what i see u cant make actual appointment. All i can do is paperwork checklist got this got that. If so useless and waist of my time.
Well if it actually gives an "official" (set in stone) list of documents that are required and they actually except those documents (with no spurious other requirements conjured up on the day) then it would at least be useful in that regard.

I hope the Immigration Boss in Chiangmai is a buddy of the Boss in Chonburi and we can have that too.

A  bit sad for older people to have to be at the Chiangmai Immigration Office door between 4 am  and 8 am to get a queue number.

1 minute ago, cnx355 said:

I hope the Immigration Boss in Chiangmai is a buddy of the Boss in Chonburi and we can have that too.

A  bit sad for older people to have to be at the Chiangmai Immigration Office door between 4 am  and 8 am to get a queue number.

Getting a queue number online (excellent idea) and downloading this app (dreadful idea) are two entirely different things.

2 hours ago, Kerryd said:

The instructions and the User Terms and Conditions are in English.

I just downloaded it on the Oppo and installed it.
When you open it it asks permission to access photos, media and files on your device (nothing naughty on my phone so no problem).

Then it asks permission to access this device's location (they know where I am already and I'm not hiding so again, no problem).

Then it asks permission to take pictures and video - wait - WHAT ? I'm not an expert on apps but it seems to me that giving that permission would allow them to take pics (and/or video) any time they want, for any reason.
If you select "Deny" it tells you that you must Allow all permissions to continue. You are then left at the User Terms and Conditions page. 

I can't see anywhere where they mention any kind of limit to what they can access (i.e. social media pages, especially if you are auto-logged in) or any limitation to how they can use the camera.

Uninstalled App. 

I think you will find the reason it needs access to your camera is so that the app can scan the QR code and take the photos that are required ! Is taking a photo of your current visa stamp any more dangerous to your privacy than giving them a photocopy as you currently do ? The wording, from what is reported here, seems pretty standard stuff for android apps. It is not going to start taking photos or video just on the whim of some immigration officer......

There are some paranoid people around here.

8 minutes ago, Antonymous said:

Getting a queue number online (excellent idea) and downloading this app (dreadful idea) are two entirely different things.

I have apps like AGODA , BOOKING.com , maps and Banking and they ask the same type of permission to access the phone.

I my case I would try it.  It is not compulsory yet.

If government want to track you in Thailand , they  can do it only with your phone number and will not ask you.

22 minutes ago, MikeN said:

I think you will find the reason it needs access to your camera is so that the app can scan the QR code and take the photos that are required ! Is taking a photo of your current visa stamp any more dangerous to your privacy than giving them a photocopy as you currently do ? The wording, from what is reported here, seems pretty standard stuff for android apps. It is not going to start taking photos or video just on the whim of some immigration officer......

There are some paranoid people around here.

Nothing wrong with uploading my passport details. They don't need full access to the rest of my private data though.

18 minutes ago, cnx355 said:

I have apps like AGODA , BOOKING.com , maps and Banking and they ask the same type of permission to access the phone.

I my case I would try it.  It is not compulsory yet.

If government want to track you in Thailand , they  can do it only with your phone number and will not ask you.

I use Agoda, Booking, Maps, Banking etc too, but not through any apps and not on a telephone. You can go directly to their websites using your computer and although they will (these days) all ask for your phone number if you register with them, you don't have to give it.

Institutions including Immigration, banks and credit card companies all have my email address (no phone number) and they use it to conduct necessary business with me, such as issuing an OTP. This works perfectly well. A telephone – still less a smartphone – is a completely unnecessary device for the customer to have for the purpose of those institutions conducting their LEGITIMATE business and you don't need to put your privacy and freedom at risk by downloading apps that allow the institution to pry into your data and life.

A few years ago, they came up with an online system to make appointment and provide copies of documents.  Great! I thought.  So, I tried it - got my appointment date and time.

When I arrived at Pattaya Immigration, it was take a queue number (never mind appointment the IO said), wait for number to be called, give all relevant documents (photocopies, photo, etc) to be examined -- absolutely no change from past practice.

The last 3 years, I have arrived around 8:15am, queue number from 3 to 6, processing started at 8:30am, and I am out the door by 8:35 to 8:40am.  I am well satisfied with that system.

19 hours ago, RotMahKid said:

Just try it, they want access to almost everything, location, photo's, documents just name it... I uninstalled it already.

That app needs to access some folders because you'll need to upload photos from your phone.

About the location it could be really usefull and easy for the 90 days notification: you wont need to go  toJomtien, every 90 days just click "same adress" at your home and the officers will see with your GPS location that you still stay at the same registered adress.

I really hope that APP will work. For my mariage visa extension, I had to bring tons of papers every year:

- waste of time to photocopy/print all the photos (in color) & documents

- waste of time for the officers to check all those papers

- every year I had to come back home because something was wrong, one missing photo, one missing document etc...

And those "papers" document were really used ? There must be mountains of papers in Bangkok, who would climb those mountains to find one single paper ?

Most of those documents now will be saved into my account (except bank statements and letter from the bank) and I will be able to do my 90 days notification with a single click ? That would save me such a lot of time ! ?

3 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

Will you need, copies of the front, back,  side, and sim card

of your phone , when you go and make the application. :giggle:

Yes.  And, be sure to legibly sign each copy.  Need to make sure each "copy" is "genuine."

6 minutes ago, wpcoe said:

Yes.  And, be sure to legibly sign each copy.  Need to make sure each "copy" is "genuine."

With that new APP all those signed papers (X2) will be a thing from the past.

1 hour ago, micmichd said:

Nothing wrong with uploading my passport details. They don't need full access to the rest of my private data though.

It will not access your private data ! It wants access to your (very approx.) location, and to your camera so that you can upload the photos required. It will not access your contacts, or your browsing history, or even the photos that are already in your gallery....only the ones of your passport pages that you take as required, and that you click ok to upload. If you are really that paranoid, turn off mobile data and use your phone as just a phone.....

Google, Apple, Microsoft, Facebook, ( and probably ThaiVisa) etc already will or could know much more about you than Thai Immigration could ever learn from this app.

17 minutes ago, fimo said:

Really?  I'm not clear on just what the app does -- so, do you scan the papers into the app?  Will it at least scan your passport picture page like airline apps do?

20 minutes ago, fimo said:

The app has none of those type of facilities, its simply an appointment app. The same thing they used to offer online via a webpage, make an appointment and turn up and take a ticket.

Archived