Queuing system via smart phone set to make immigration matters in Chonburi easier

Jonathan Fairfield

2 minutes ago, wpcoe said:

Really?  I'm not clear on just what the app does -- so, do you scan the papers into the app?  Will it at least scan your passport picture page like airline apps do?

I installed the APP. I saw that there are many folders: your passport, adress registration etc... inside each folder you can upload photos: it can be photos of documents taken from your phone or scanned documents (if you have a pc/scanner and your phone plugged to your PC) ? Time will tell...

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

The app has none of those type of facilities, its simply an appointment app.

No you have to look closer, for each kind of visa application, you have different folders where you can upload photos from your phone (passport, your adress etc...).

Then everything is linked/saved in your account.

When you will complete everything I supose that there will be a button "submit application". An officer will check it and answer if there is something missing or not. If your demand has the status "complete" then the process will be really fast when you'll go to Jomtien.

I suppose that's how it should work.

12 minutes ago, fimo said:

I installed the APP. I saw that there are many folders: your passport, adress registration etc... inside each folder you can upload photos: it can be photos of documents taken from your phone or scanned documents (if you have a pc/scanner and your phone plugged to your PC) ? Time will tell...

9 minutes ago, fimo said:

No you have to look closer, for each kind of visa application, you have different folders where you can upload photos from your phone (passport, your adress etc...).

When you will complete everything I supose that there will be a button "submit application". An officer will check it and answer if there is something missing or not. If your demand has the status "complete" then the process will be really fast when you'll go to Jomtien.

I suppose that's how it should work.

Do you think that the advance submission of snapshots of documents will preclude having to submit the actual paper copies when you do arrive in the office for the extension?

10 minutes ago, fimo said:

I cant see anything like that in the app, do you need to create a profile first or is the upload option always there ?

1 minute ago, wpcoe said:

Do you think that the advance submission of snapshots of documents will preclude having to submit the actual paper copies when you do arrive in the office for the extension?

Yes of course, why would you do it on internet if you have still to bring all that ton of papers ?

Just now, Peterw42 said:

I cant see anything like that in the app, do you need to create a profile first or is the upload option always there ?

You have to register first then choose the kind of Visa application.

Then you will have the list of folders (passport, id photo, house registration, mariage certificate, photos from your house etc...)  where you will be able to upload your photos from your phone.

About mariage VISA I rechecked the list.

There is only one missing folder: "bank folder" and it doesn't suprise me because the letter from the bank must have be done 48h before the application.

So I really think that all the other documents must be checked before with internet,  and you'll only need to come with your bank papers.

But... something weird in that list is "receipt of residence notification" ? Is it a photocopy of the last "90 days notification" ?

... maybe I go to fast.. jai yen ... we have to wait for june 25th ?

9 minutes ago, wpcoe said:

5 minutes ago, fimo said:

Yes of course, why would you do it on internet if you have still to bring all that ton of papers ?

For pre-approval, pending final approval upon inspection of actual physical documents (with signature ?).  Remember where you are: Asia -- Where paper documents double-checked (at least) by a second (at least) person is routine.

A pre-approval process would serve to make sure you have all the required ducks in a row before you make a physical appearance?

13 minutes ago, wpcoe said:

For pre-approval, pending final approval upon inspection of actual physical documents (with signature ?).  Remember where you are: Asia -- Where paper documents double-checked (at least) by a second (at least) person is routine.

Read the original post:

Pol Col Songprot Sirisukha said it was part of PM Prayut's dream of a value based economy with the public in mind at all times. 

That "routine" was a waste of time for us and the officers at immigration office (and then where ended all those papers, just a waste of time and papers). And about the "double check" in Bangkok, the last officer will do it on his computer with all the scanned documents (no need to post the papers to Bangkok).

Now the officers will have all the documents online on 1 click, that's a win/win solution.

Always a bit suspicious when loading apps or giving out phone numbers to banks or other institutions in Thailand, as shortly after, one very strangely gets flooded with unwanted spams and other fishy commercial messages........better thus to have a separate phone and number for use only for Thai matters and another phone for keeping touch with the west.

And why not also make an app for the 90 day reporting, that would be more appreciated, but of naturally will make life easier for the awful farangs !!

9 minutes ago, fimo said:

Read the original post:

That "routine" was a waste of time for us and the officers at immigration office (and then where ended all those papers, just a waste of time and papers).

Now the officers will have all the documents online on 1 click, that's a win/win solution.

Agreed that the routine is/was a waste of time (and paper and storage of such paper), but you are way more optimistic than I am that with the flick of an app, decades of redundant bureaucracy will come tumbling down.  ?

24 minutes ago, fimo said:

You have to register first then choose the kind of Visa application.

Then you will have the list of folders (passport, id photo, house registration, mariage certificate, photos from your house etc...)  where you will be able to upload your photos from your phone.

OK thanks, it appears in theory it could work, submit online and get approval, turn up to get your stamp.

I really hope they dont do all this then want the same docs to be taken to immigration.

Just now, wpcoe said:

Agreed that the routine is/was a waste of time (and paper and storage of such paper), but you are way more optimistic than I am that with the flick of an app, decades of redundant bureaucracy will come tumbling down.  ?

I agree but that bureaucracy is "internal" and that new process goes in the right direction: even the "internal" process should speed up.

The last officer in BKK will have a clean desk (not filled with ton of papers) and he wont need to wait for the post office brings the papers from Jomtien to BKK.

2 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I really hope they dont do all this then want the same docs to be taken to immigration.

As I wrote before about the mariage visa extension, there is only 2 papers that you can't give online: the bank letter and bank statment from the same day of application.

So I'm positive, I really think that for this extension you'll only need to bring the bank's papers.

4 minutes ago, fimo said:

I agree but that bureaucracy is "internal" and that new process goes in the right direction: even the "internal" process should speed up.

The last officer in BKK will have a clean desk (not filled with ton of papers) and he wont need to wait for the post office brings the papers from Jomtien to BKK.

I just had the vision of that officer (who should have a clean desk) printing out all the submitted digital documents so s/he has a pile of papers to justify his job.  Yeah, I'm a cynic.

@wpcoe

Print the documents in Bangkok ?

I'm pretty sure they wont, that's a "flow" process as we can see every where in the world: optimisation of the processes, time and human ressources.

Yes you  are cynic ?

4 minutes ago, fimo said:

As I wrote before about the mariage visa extension, there is only 2 papers that you can't give online: the bank letter and bank statment from the same day of application.

So I'm positive, I really think that for this extension you'll only need to bring the bank's papers.

There is a directory under marriage visa "if having funds deposited" 

1 minute ago, Peterw42 said:

There is a directory under marriage visa "if having funds deposited" 

If you have a > 400,000 "funds deposited" (you cant touch that money) then you are OK you can send your documents.

If you have > 400,000 on a "save account" that you are using everyday then bring the letter from the bank + 0day bank statment.

But you are right, untill now "funds deposited" were not accepted in Jomtien ? Do they plan to harmonize the rules in every immigration offices ? Will we still need in Jomtien to bring a thai witness when you dont have kids ? (that's another specific demand from Jomtien)

I strongly suspect that this program is designed as a "pre-screening" app to cut down on the number of people that show up without the proper paperwork (which happens all the time). You will submit electronic copies as per the checklist provided and someone checks them.

If everything is OK, you will be given a date, time and "queue" number for Immigration, where you will be expected to show up with all those same papers, printed out and signed. Someone will verify them and take your passport and tell you to come back the next day to pick it up.
Perhaps it will run like the "Fast Track" lines at the Airports, where electronically scanned (and approved) people go to a separate desk with all their paperwork.

They are not likely to suddenly give up on the requirement to have every application and every photocopy signed by the applicant and will no doubt still require the Bank Letter as well as the copies of the updated bank book page (or other proof of funds).

Will be interesting to hear from the first people to trial this new system. I just did my Extension a couple weeks ago so I've got another 11 months before I have to worry about it again. Maybe it will still be working then !

Note that under the "Retirement" option, the checklist asks for "Receipt of Residence Notification".

Yes, that is the TM.30 they are referring to, not the "90 Day" report slip and not a "Certificate of Residence".

9 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

I strongly suspect that this program is designed as a "pre-screening" app to cut down on the number of people that show up without the proper paperwork (which happens all the time). You will submit electronic copies as per the checklist provided and someone checks them.

If everything is OK, you will be given a date, time and "queue" number for Immigration, where you will be expected to show up with all those same papers, printed out and signed. Someone will verify them and take your passport and tell you to come back the next day to pick it up.
Perhaps it will run like the "Fast Track" lines at the Airports, where electronically scanned (and approved) people go to a separate desk with all their paperwork.

They are not likely to suddenly give up on the requirement to have every application and every photocopy signed by the applicant and will no doubt still require the Bank Letter as well as the copies of the updated bank book page (or other proof of funds).

Will be interesting to hear from the first people to trial this new system. I just did my Extension a couple weeks ago so I've got another 11 months before I have to worry about it again. Maybe it will still be working then !

Unfortunately, I suspect you are right

15 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Note that under the "Retirement" option, the checklist asks for "Receipt of Residence Notification".

Yes, that is the TM.30 they are referring to, not the "90 Day" report slip and not a "Certificate of Residence".

3 months ago I asked to immigration if I needed a TM30. I live with my wife in our house (Tabian Baan at her name). The officer's answer (at Jomtien)  was "no" but I've read on thaivisa that other immigration office in Thailand were asking for that TM30/31.

That also has to cleared if there is an "harmonization" ?

That APP could also get rid of that useless TM30: why would you need to fill a TM30 if immigration can check with your GPS location that you are staying at your registered adress ?

That APP has a lot of potential if immigration uses it well.

8 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

So a visit to immigration to get a document you can photograph and send online, to save you a trip to immigration.

3 minutes ago, fimo said:

That APP could also get rid of that useless TM30: what would you need to fill a TM30 if immigration can check with your GPS location that you are staying at your registered adress ?

What if they check your location using GPS and it shows 3rd bar from the end soi 6. Good in theory but how would the app know when you are at home or on what floor of a 20 floor condo block.

I get your point though, the technology is there and could be easily incorporated.

4 hours ago, micmichd said:

Should be possible to get report about my personal data that are already in their system, and then - if nothing has changed - simply press the "no changes" button to get a receipt that my extension is done now.

No, Sir, regretfully not as the system seems to clearly geared to create lots of jobs of limited abilities. A "no change" button would be counter-productive in that sense! 

1 minute ago, Peterw42 said:

What if they check your location using GPS and it shows 3rd bar from the end soi 6.

During the 90 days notification, during you breakfast every 3 months, turn on the APP and click "same adress", easy ?

This is NOT replacing the current system.

Sheesh.

It appears that they think this app will make life easier for those trying to extend their Visas (note it does not say "extend their stay"), possibly by having a separate desk for those who are able to complete and submit their paperwork electronically (i.e. like a Fast Track system).
Nowhere does it say that this is replacing the current system or that you will have to buy a smart phone if you want to extend your stay in Thailand.

You will still be able to show up at Immigration, complete with your missing/unfilled/unsigned paperwork like normal, get your normal queue number and then go to whichever desk you feel like and try to get them to do all the work for you, like people currently do (seemingly) on a daily basis. (Or maybe it only happens on the days I'm there, by sheer coincidence.)

However, some people may be able to take advantage of this system, if they are able to download/copy/scan the right paperwork and submit it through this app and if it is approved they may be able to jump the line (or go through a different line altogether) instead of having to wait behind all those people that pretend they don't know what is going on in the hopes someone else will do all the work for them.

Which would make life easier for a lot of the people that have to "extend their Visas" every year.

This would also (possibly) make life easier for those that show up with just their passports and try to do everything at the desk (after their number has been called) as there would likely be fewer people in line (before and after) so the staff will be in a better mood when they tell you to come back again when you have all the paperwork done properly !

Then again, maybe those that submit all their paperwork electronically and are approved will still end up sitting in a queue (behind 20 people that haven't done their paperwork) and still have an IO go through everything from scratch, top to bottom before taking your passport and telling you to come back the next day (meaning you'll have saved absolutely no time at all any ways).

Hard to say as the original article and the Chon Buri Immigration website don't provide a lot of details.

2 hours ago, fimo said:

That APP could also get rid of that useless TM30: why would you need to fill a TM30 if immigration can check with your GPS location that you are staying at your registered adress ?

They know your phone's location. But your's?

Very stupid idea,,, A lot of people including Me use a phone for phone calls Nothing else, Not Paying for internet on phone just to use for crap like this,,, My  Phone is to small to use properly for that kind of stuff   I have a Small  smart phone so can't use it for that, Fingers are too big.

3 hours ago, Kerryd said:

Exactly how I suspect the program will work.

However, optimism does spring eternal for some other folks who think this will wipe out stacks of paperwork and generations of bureaucratic mindset and tradition.  :whistling:

Archived