Video: Three dead as Pajero driver who fled scene revealed as top forestry official

rooster59

9 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Well we'll have to agree to disagree, I've seen far to many examples of crazy, nay mindless driving in Thailand to believe the Vios driver wasn't aware he was approaching a U turn.  One regular one comes to mind - and this is a several times a day occurence - motorbikes coming out of side roads without even looking. Its as if  they have a bracket fitted to their heads and attached to the bars so they can't turn their head.  Basic rules of survival would make me look right - as they do taking care at U turns.

The worst I've ever had (that didn't result in an accident) was a guy in a Fortuner travelling along highway 2 towards Bangkok in lane 3 (outside lane).  There were some market stalls or something at the side of the road and I'm directly behind him. All lanes were pretty full and I'd guess we were doing between 90 and 100kmh.  Mr Fortuner suddenly decides visiting the market stalls is a good idea but he doesn't simply pull across all three lanes - that would have been bad enough.  No, he hits the anchors, stops and then cuts across all 3 lanes!!  How I or anyone else failed to hit him I know not but I did return home for a change of pants.

There are probably bigger idiots in other countries, England is not immune from bad driving  - its the sheer mindless, utterly ridiculous driving that makes Thailand stand out above the rest.  Of course without being in the car, or seeing a longer video from all angles, nobody can be 100% certain of what happened in this crash. But without the slightest bit of bigging myself up, I can say for certain that it wouldn't have happened if I'd been driving the Vios.  I think they same could be said of most of us here.  I slow down aproaching U's - then Thai's come past me - what does that tell you?

Yes the Thai driving test is ridiculous, absolutely yes, U turns are accidents waiting to happen but no matter how much you try and educate Thai drivers, they won't change.  Its simple to fix really but it means massive law enforcement  and that's never going to happen.

We only seem to disagree on one thing. Yes there are mad and bad drivers here but just look around, the majority of our journeys go smoothly. Where I come from one third of all drivers on the roads are unlicensed and uninsured. Their vehicles are crushed if the driver is caught driving. Not that many are caught! Driving effectively is a high level skill and of course you are right to be concerned.

We just need balance here on TV and what gets my goat is all of the men here who parrot of each other even when parott one make no sense.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seeing as how driving here with all the motos is like driving in a swarm of ants and not being allowed to bump into one it would seem like people would be more cautious. Not the case, they don't seem to grasp cause and effect, living totally in the moment. The thought of not being first or arriving one minute later on an average trip because you drove carefully and respectfully is something they will never grasp. They also seem unable to analytically make decisions, instead of A,B,C or D it's always A, the first thing that pops in their head and most cases that is me first, I am entitled. Happens allot in the third world where people are new to the middle class, owning a car and also lacking in education.

Bloody Tragic !  and I will take a good kicking for being objective about it, but well, this is a very common way, of getting a U-turn in, on to an often Busy Highway, … Like if you cannot get in to the fast lanes, then time it right, and not dangerously, but turn across the oncoming traffic, in the fast lanes, and aim to end up in the Slow Lane, (Or you would be there all day waiting) ….  Hence, if you are in the slow lane, anywhere in Thailand, where the trucks run, and do 60 to 80, …  be prepared to slow down, or stop !  ... 

In this case though, the road seemed Clear, still for that guy to cross over and obviously aim for the slow lane, was not really that unexpected I think.  Like that is the way, we all used to have to do it, if we wanted to get on to the road !  ….  Still there was not a lot of traffic, and the Poor guy in the Vios was in one of the middle lanes, and did not appear to be going too fast for those lanes either, ….  But the Upturning guy was WAY too close to him, and obviously well mistimed it !

...  Still he was heading for the slow lane as you would expect him to, … and the Vios guy, did dodge the wrong way, ? …  And did he keep on slowing down ?  And try to stop ?  …  Or did he just keep on going, and try to go in front of him !  …  Thai Stile, …  like that other woman the other day on here,  that did not slow down at all, and just tried to squeeze through, in front of the stationary truck, ….

…  He should have gone behind him !  …  As it was obvious he WAS just heading for the slow lane, as they/we all used to, before the Thais most sensibly closed down nearly all U-turns on the Asia highway around here.  We have a lot of Bridges, so you go left, and then U-turn under Bridges now, and well, GREAT !  …  It is just Way WAY more safe than the old U-turns.  …  Maybe they should close down more of them.

Ps I drive a Vios, like a post 2011 model when they improved the Full computerized electronic fuel injection system, I think, to top standard, as far as Driving it seems, … just a tad of surging at low speed, but 4 wheel anti-locking disk brakes, and power steering etc. and just great mirrors, … like the best car that I have ever had !!! ... Just SOOO easy to drive !  …  Like it makes driving my old Mighty-X feel like driving a tank !  … and well this guy would have been alright, if the tree had not been there either. ... 

40 minutes ago, Mark mark said:

Bloody Tragic !  and I will take a good kicking for being objective about it, but well, this is a very common way, of getting a U-turn in, on to an often Busy Highway, … Like if you cannot get in to the fast lanes, then time it right, and not dangerously, but turn across the oncoming traffic, in the fast lanes, and aim to end up in the Slow Lane, (Or you would be there all day waiting) ….  Hence, if you are in the slow lane, anywhere in Thailand, where the trucks run, and do 60 to 80, …  be prepared to slow down, or stop !  ... 

In this case though, the road seemed Clear, still for that guy to cross over and obviously aim for the slow lane, was not really that unexpected I think.  Like that is the way, we all used to have to do it, if we wanted to get on to the road !  ….  Still there was not a lot of traffic, and the Poor guy in the Vios was in one of the middle lanes, and did not appear to be going too fast for those lanes either, ….  But the Upturning guy was WAY too close to him, and obviously well mistimed it !

...  Still he was heading for the slow lane as you would expect him to, … and the Vios guy, did dodge the wrong way, ? …  And did he keep on slowing down ?  And try to stop ?  …  Or did he just keep on going, and try to go in front of him !  …  Thai Stile, …  like that other woman the other day on here,  that did not slow down at all, and just tried to squeeze through, in front of the stationary truck, ….

…  He should have gone behind him !  …  As it was obvious he WAS just heading for the slow lane, as they/we all used to, before the Thais most sensibly closed down nearly all U-turns on the Asia highway around here.  We have a lot of Bridges, so you go left, and then U-turn under Bridges now, and well, GREAT !  …  It is just Way WAY more safe than the old U-turns.  …  Maybe they should close down more of them.

Ps I drive a Vios, like a post 2011 model when they improved the Full computerized electronic fuel injection system, I think, to top standard, as far as Driving it seems, … just a tad of surging at low speed, but 4 wheel anti-locking disk brakes, and power steering etc. and just great mirrors, … like the best car that I have ever had !!! ... Just SOOO easy to drive !  …  Like it makes driving my old Mighty-X feel like driving a tank !  … and well this guy would have been alright, if the tree had not been there either. ... 

Think that makes sense. Deal is Thais drive like when you watch the Indy 500 and there is a wreck, smoke everywhere and the cars a racing to back to the finish line. The pit boss is yelling for the driver to just drive thru the smoke, go high, go high.

They look at having to slow down for someone else as some loss of entitlement, very strange and dangerous.

10 hours ago, JAZZDOG said:

Think that makes sense. Deal is Thais drive like when you watch the Indy 500 and there is a wreck, smoke everywhere and the cars a racing to back to the finish line. The pit boss is yelling for the driver to just drive thru the smoke, go high, go high.

They look at having to slow down for someone else as some loss of entitlement, very strange and dangerous.

Yes Loss of face to slow down, like, .... "Pay for a car that goes fast" !!! ... "So you MUST Go fast" !!! .... and Flash your lights at every one that looks like getting in your way, ... if you Really are a Big Man !!!

I read more of the posts here, and realized I need not have even written at all, as every one else was saying about the same thing, as I did after some time, ....  And they also know about having to do those big wide sweeping U-turns also.

.... RIP Vios driver,  and those unfortunate family members that were riding with you.

Yes I like the Thais, ... but YES, it is time that they start having a LOT of Slowing down Practice i think, and it is woven in to their mentality.  Like Quietly pray in the temple, .... But Drive quietly on the road also !!! .... it is not just a side show. ... I actually find then Very Courteous drivers, where I live at least, ... but well, the Loonies hat just drive to fast, usually from other places just passing through, well they ruin it for every one.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/23/2018 at 3:09 PM, fantom said:

Please stop calling events like this 'accidents' This terminology has no place in modern reportage as it implies there was some unexplained factor causing the collision or crash rather than focussing on the event for what it was.

It was a collision, the cause is open to analysis.

The cause is very obvious to me.

The Panjero driver is entering the highway in the WRONG DIRECTION, look at the U Turn markings on the tarmac and the keep 

right arrow sign.

He shouldn't have even been coming in that direction in the first place.

Archived