Linux Mint Install disaster

Dumbastheycome

On  behalf  of  a friend I am hoping  someone  can  refer me to a  downloadable tool  to clearwipe  an SSD . I am feeling  guilty  about the  situation  because I  was  involved  in the  installation of  Linux via  a usb iso that I downloaded  for  him. The  iso  was  verified  and initial installation seemed fine even over writing the  original  Win 10 installation.

Unfortunately at  boot up  it  kept  freezing.

Our  assumption was that  maybe the  iso was  not  good  despite   verification. So  new  download  and  verification. Unfortunately  it  did  not or  even notify/ask  about over writing  the  previous attempt which  the  first one  did. The  result  is that it installed  beside  the  first install until it  completely filled  the  ssd without  completing the  install due to no space at all ! So  now is bogged  up!

The  device is a  Lenovo  Idea Pad 100s with only 30  something Gbytes total  space.  Win  10  occupied  most  of  that so  could  not  cope with  any updates  anyway.

So  now it will  not  boot  up  anything. We  have tried  several  free  downloadable tools  that are  considered  safe  for  ssd's but have been unable  to  move  anything.

Some show  that there are fragments  of  Win 10 which  I  suspect  may have interfered  with  the  initial  Mint  install but  can  not actually access the  drive.

Our  hope is  that  someone   can  refer us  to a download that can operate  independently from  usb input  that  actually  works. At  this  point  are comfortable  with   paying for  such  so long as  it   really  does  do the  job. A  couple  of the  free ones  showed promise  but no success.

I had the same problem.

I went into the BIOS and changed the boot order to the start from the Repairs Disk image I had of Windows 10 and re installed it.

Mine was a 80 Gbit HDD and linux and win10 mixed together. Now back to just WIN 10

BIOS boot  order only  provides  the  choice  of  either the unbootable initial  Linux or Win 10 which  is  no longer installed.  That  it  even  suggests  Win 10 is probably  only  because  it was  the  preinstalled  os.

Due to zero  disk space  it  can  not  even recognise any usb as  boot  option .

So  my/our mission  is to  find a wiper that  can boot  from an  iso  usb  without  the  need  for  any  internal ssd boot space.

So  my/our mission  is to  find a wiper that  can boot  from an  iso  usb  without  the  need  for  any  internal ssd boot space

That is exactly what my post said  I did.

Step 1 on another computer go to Microsoft .com and down load the Win 10 Media Creation Tool to a bootable USB (I did not have to do this as I keep one made up due to Windows10 often failing.

Step 2 put this USB into the failed computer and power up holding F2 so the BIOS screen appears. Sometimes F2 and Delete to get to BIOS.

Step 3 put this usb in to the failed computer and power up Holding F2. Sometimes F2 and Delete, so the BIOS .

Step 4 change the boot sequence in the BIOS.

Step 5  hit F10 yes to save and enter.

Sit back and your problems will pass and miraculously WIN 10 will be the only OS on your machine.

4 minutes ago, oxymoron said:

So  my/our mission  is to  find a wiper that  can boot  from an  iso  usb  without  the  need  for  any  internal ssd boot space

Step 1 on another computer go to Microsoft .com and down load the Win 10 Media Creation Tool to a bootable USB (I did not have to do this as I keep one made up due to Windows10 often failing.

Step 2 put this USB into the failed computer and power up holding F2 so the BIOS screen appears. Sometimes F2 and Delete to get to BIOS.

Step 3 put this usb in to the failed computer and power up Holding F2. Sometimes F2 and Delete, so the BIOS .

Sit back and your problems will pass and miraculously WIN 10 will be the only OS on your machine.

lol.  Ok. Will  give  it a  try. If it  can crack it open even a little we  ( I ) will be very  happy.

On 6/24/2018 at 10:59 AM, Dumbastheycome said:

lol.  Ok. Will  give  it a  try. If it  can crack it open even a little we  ( I ) will be very  happy.

Tried your  suggestion. Did  not  work due  to need  for drive  space.

But  using a download  iso  managed  to  free  enough  space for a  new  over write  install of  Linux.

Initially still  had  problems getting it to boot the install until I  checked all the BIOS  settings and enabled anything  that was  disabled. Not sure  which was  causing  the problem but now this  little  device  is  fully  functional with an OS that  uses only  6  gigs instead of  24 gigs out  of  32! 

Thanks for your attempt to help. ?‍?

• 2 weeks later...

I have installed Linux (different flavors) so many times over the years, err decades, and never once was there not an opportunity for the installer to choose a manual installation.

No doubt you are choosing to perform an automatic installation, which does so within the free space of the HDD or SDD.

I suggest that you repeat the installation using the original USB containing the Mint Linux, and pay careful attention when you are prompted to set up the disk.

Here's a guide that can assist you: http://www.elinuxbook.com/installation-of-linux-mint-18-linux-mint-cinnamon-with-snapshots/ 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/13/2018 at 9:15 AM, Henryford said:

I was thinking of installing Ubuntu/Mint on a new computer i am getting but stories like this just scare me off. I just want an OS that works without spending my life fiddling with it. Looks like W10.

Linux Mint usually does just install, and once installed you don't need to spend your life fiddling with it.

My Linux desktops are install and forget.

7 hours ago, Stocky said:

Linux Mint usually does just install, and once installed you don't need to spend your life fiddling with it.

My Linux desktops are install and forget.

I agree . The  issue I had  was   with a  faulty  ISO on install to  a  very  limited SSD  drive.  Once the "space" issue was  solved it  was straightforward.  And I  like Linux.

HI, you maybe should connect on IRC channel (freenode) then channel #mint to ask administrators/users of this distribution to help you in live.

To help on a forum is difficult, also it is not the real vocation of this forum to provide help on specific technology like Linux Mint.

Also, Linux is very funny, free, and efficient, but you have to paid by your time for learn and then be able to install it and use it, there is many different distributions (some of them as specific targets) but no one is for loafers.

Most of the time, install it is a little challenge for beginners because of Windows "safety" obstructions and knowledge requirements.

The easy life way should be to eat MacDo food, use Windows software... and no more safety sit and no more private life (easy but expensive, that is an other kind of selection). That's it.

Be free, be courageous, go for Linux.

chok dii

23 hours ago, jerome1976 said:

HI, you maybe should connect on IRC channel (freenode) then channel #mint to ask administrators/users of this distribution to help you in live.

To help on a forum is difficult, also it is not the real vocation of this forum to provide help on specific technology like Linux Mint.

Also, Linux is very funny, free, and efficient, but you have to paid by your time for learn and then be able to install it and use it, there is many different distributions (some of them as specific targets) but no one is for loafers.

Most of the time, install it is a little challenge for beginners because of Windows "safety" obstructions and knowledge requirements.

The easy life way should be to eat MacDo food, use Windows software... and no more safety sit and no more private life (easy but expensive, that is an other kind of selection). That's it.

Be free, be courageous, go for Linux.

chok dii

Agree  with your  sentiment. Yes,  Windows  software  is  very similar  to   fast  food.  You  get inside it  many things  you  are not made aware of that are hazardous!

My original issue was that an install of linux had drive errors. My mistake was  to attempt a  re install  from the  same  ISO. Instead of  an over write it  installed in parallel which failed due to completely using disk space down  to  zero . A new  verified ISO could  not install due to  no space to start. 

My request  was  for  any known free disk wiper/eraser/etc that works directly  from an ISO.

I found  one. Linux  installed perfectly.

So my problem  was  not with  linux.

My original reason  to   wipe Win 10 was because  it was installed  on a 32Gig SSD which  kept trying  to update onto insufficient   disk space. For  reasons  best  known  to Lenovo the  device was  loaded  with the  standard version of  Win 10  rather than the  compact version Microsoft has  produced  for limited  space  drives. Turning off  updates  did  not  stop  the  bloody annoying pop up suggestions to update. The Win Update notifier  could  not  be  removed either.(Self  re install ).

End result?

I have a  very  fast, light weight device which I use when travelling.

It now  has  17 Gigs  of  free space instead of the 3 Gigs Win 10 originally so graciously  allowed  me.

ps. The errors  with the first ISO  was due to a  faulty not so  new USB  drive. Lesson learned.

On 6/24/2018 at 5:51 AM, oxymoron said:

How fluent are you in linux? 

There are some terminal commands with which you could fill the drives with zeros.

Most effective method and if you want to wipe it clean, it's best way IHMO. 

• 3 months later...

Win 7 was great then bought a new machine with 8.1, terrible, always dropping the wi fi connection but struggled on with it. Last week tried to upgrade to win 10, no luck so gave it up and installed Mint 19.1, very impressed with it. It even linked up to the printer without installing anything extra, no freezing up, no more wi fi drop outs or YT buffering, wish I had gone over to Linux before. Not keen on ever having to use the terminal a lot but the the commands are easy to find. Also not loads of viruses and malware or Microsoft gathering data, and it's free of course. I'll be sticking with it.

13 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Not keen on ever having to use the terminal a lot

It's very seldom that I need to use the terminal window, most things you need can be found via the Software Manager.

Archived