Glaucoma

hashmodha

20 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

In my case the air blast normally records the higher measurement.  Have been on Xalatan once a day and Cosopt twice a day for a few years now.  Xalatan is very sensitive to heat and is put on ice even for trip home from hospital.  

thanks for the answer.  any bad side effects for you with Xalatan ?   I made a stop or two on way from hospital and even though it had ice on it I am concerned as it was fairly warm yesterday.  hope it will be ok.  first drops tonight....

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

Because my mother had Glycoma and my pressures were a little high I was put on Xalatan when I was about 50 years old (am now 73). My pressures are somewhat less than 20 and my field of Vision I'm told is okay .. also told that I have beautiful eye lashes ... that would not be my opinion!!

Very pleased to see that some members are sharing their experience.  Seems that Xalatan has let you

"see" a long life.   I'm sure that many, as myself,  were a little scared at the prospects of what might happen with a diagnosis of glaucoma.   thanks for the input !

20 minutes ago, rumak said:

thanks for the answer.  any bad side effects for you with Xalatan ?   I made a stop or two on way from hospital and even though it had ice on it I am concerned as it was fairly warm yesterday.  hope it will be ok.  first drops tonight....

Should be OK - the ice should keep it fine - I keep in refrigerator at home and just take out when using.  As mentioned in Chiang Mai thread have not had any symptoms that I can say caused by these drops - feels the same before and after.  Have dry eyes but had before taking and don't pay that much attention to my eyelash size (although doctor did ask to pluck one off that was rubbing eye on my last visit).  

2 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Should be OK - the ice should keep it fine - I keep in refrigerator at home and just take out when using.  As mentioned in Chiang Mai thread have not had any symptoms that I can say caused by these drops - feels the same before and after.  Have dry eyes but had before taking and don't pay that much attention to my eyelash size (although doctor did ask to pluck one off that was rubbing eye on my last visit).  

great that its working for you,   i was spooked by one group of comments from some users of xalatan that were complaining of some drastic side effects.   only an hour or two before i get started,,, first day.

will keep all posted on my progress. 

here is one example of a bad review....

Comment from: Xalatan Opht, 65-74 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: September 22

After taking this drug for 6 months I began experiencing muscle and joint pain. Not realizing it was the drug I continued for another 3 months until I began also having flu-like symtoms, blurred vision and then dizziness. This is a bad drug.

I realize that there will always be some patients that have bad reactions to a drug.....this site had a few

bad reviews and I was concerned.  I have had good response from a few TV members saying they have

taken Xalatan for many years with good results.   Thanks to all for the feedback !  ( i started first drops last night)

3 hours ago, rumak said:

here is one example of a bad review....

Comment from: Xalatan Opht, 65-74 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: September 22

After taking this drug for 6 months I began experiencing muscle and joint pain. Not realizing it was the drug I continued for another 3 months until I began also having flu-like symtoms, blurred vision and then dizziness. This is a bad drug.

I realize that there will always be some patients that have bad reactions to a drug.....this site had a few

bad reviews and I was concerned.  I have had good response from a few TV members saying they have

taken Xalatan for many years with good results.   Thanks to all for the feedback !  ( i started first drops last night)

I also have muscle and some joint pain. I seem to sieze up after sitting but soon free off ...I have taken a statin since 1993 so don't if one of those is causing it or my suspect spine ...getting old is bad but the alternative is worse ....

4 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

I also have muscle and some joint pain. I seem to sieze up after sitting but soon free off ...I have taken a statin since 1993 so don't if one of those is causing it or my suspect spine ...getting old is bad but the alternative is worse ....

i'm pretty sure almost ALL of the "senior citizens"  on TV  have some muscle and joint pain.  ????

Bear in mind people only tend to post if they have significant bad experience.

You can find scary stories online for just about any drug.  To put things into persepctive you need to know what percent of users get these particular side effects.

For this drug:

Increase in brown pigmentation of the iris (15.5%)

Blurred vision (5-15%)

Burning and stinging (5-15%)

Foreign body sensation (5-15%)

Itching (5-15%)

Punctate epithelial keratopathy (5-15%)

Conjunctival hyperemia (5-15%)

Upper respiratory tract infection/cold/flu (4%)

Dry eye (1-4%)

Excessive tearing (1-4%)

Eye pain (1-4%)

Lid crusting (1-4%)

Lid edema (1-4%)

Lid erythema (1-4%)

Lid discomfort/pain (1-4%)

Photophobia (1-4%)

Chest pain/angina pectoris (1-2%)

Muscle/joint/back pain (1-2%)

Rash/allergic skin reactions (1-2%)

<1%

Conjunctivitis

Diplopia

Discharge from the eye

as you can see the muscle/joint pain that you saw reported happens to only 1-2% of people who use this drug. Even the drug's most common side effects do nto affect the majority of people who use it.

I did check more than one site about side effects.  I understand that those with bad experiences are more

likely to post...good point !  The reason why i posted on TV was because i was hoping to get as many

responses as possible before i started.  Thankfully i did get around 4 responses, all favorable from long term users.  This eased my concerns quite a bit and the drops took the plunge (into my eyes).  Only one day

but I am doing fine.  Having hay fever this time of year does not help though.

I wonder if Sheryl or anyone knows if a small dose of antihistamine would be harmful ?

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Bear in mind people only tend to post if they have significant bad experience.

You can find scary stories online for just about any drug.  To put things into persepctive you need to know what percent of users get these particular side effects.

For this drug:

Increase in brown pigmentation of the iris (15.5%)

Blurred vision (5-15%)

Burning and stinging (5-15%)

Foreign body sensation (5-15%)

Itching (5-15%)

Punctate epithelial keratopathy (5-15%)

Conjunctival hyperemia (5-15%)

Upper respiratory tract infection/cold/flu (4%)

Dry eye (1-4%)

Excessive tearing (1-4%)

Eye pain (1-4%)

Lid crusting (1-4%)

Lid edema (1-4%)

Lid erythema (1-4%)

Lid discomfort/pain (1-4%)

Photophobia (1-4%)

Chest pain/angina pectoris (1-2%)

Muscle/joint/back pain (1-2%)

Rash/allergic skin reactions (1-2%)

<1%

Conjunctivitis

Diplopia

Discharge from the eye

as you can see the muscle/joint pain that you saw reported happens to only 1-2% of people who use this drug. Even the drug's most common side effects do nto affect the majority of people who use it.

I agree 100% with Sheryl.  I had dozens of patients on Xalatan and never had a serious side effect that required discontinuing the drug.  You should not worry.  If you happen to be one of the small percentage who has a significant side effect, just tell your doctor, and you'll probably be switched to something else.  And just because someone has reported the symptoms, it doesn't mean the drug caused it.

I wonder if Sheryl or anyone knows if a small dose of antihistamine would be harmful ?

I have used as needed - in fact using Diphenhydramine combo with actaminophen (like Tylenol PM) some nights to help sleep.  For allergy find Zyrtec good for me and does not knock me out like some.

I'm a glaucoma suspect ie., high iop with large optic disc cupping but visual field's still normal. I've used xalatan to control my iop for 5 years with great results. I've experienced only minor side effects, including minor irritation, dryness, and longer eye lashes.

Before I started xalatan, I was also a bit nervous of the possible side effects. Luckily, it's been a good drug for me. The only downside is it's a bit pricey. 

I wish i had known that i had glaucoma sooner.... but damage is not that significant.  I went to one "eye clinic" at a large hospital in CM for an eye infection and there was not even a mention of my history. 

Personally I can't understand how any opthalmologist would not give the simple test for eye pressure.

Especially for older patients and especially an "eye clinic" within a hospital.  

The reason i feel strongly about this is that there is generally NO symptoms until the damage is done.

Thankfully the second doctor i saw at her eye clinic has an assistant perform the quick test for every

patient before seeing the doctor.  

The responses i have received here have really been encouraging........ also on CM forum i received some.

Nice to know there is a support system here !

3 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

I have used as needed - in fact using Diphenhydramine combo with actaminophen (like Tylenol PM) some nights to help sleep.  For allergy find Zyrtec good for me and does not knock me out like some.

Only allergies i have come on with the cool season here in CM area.  Ragweed i believe.  Just take half a sulidine ( chlorphenirarnine)  for itchy eyes and sneezing.    

4 hours ago, rumak said:

.... Having hay fever this time of year does not help though.

If you have open angle glaucoma, no problem.

If narrow (closed) angle, there is a small risk though most people are fine:

" In rare instances, this (antihistamines) can cause an acute glaucoma attack in individuals whose anterior chamber angles are anatomically narrow (narrow-angle glaucoma or angle-closure glaucoma).

However, this is rare and the use of antihistamines is usually acceptable for those with glaucoma."

https://www.glaucoma.org/q-a/why-are-allergy-medications-contraindicated-for-people-with-glaucoma.php

42 minutes ago, rumak said:

Personally I can't understand how any opthalmologist would not give the simple test for eye pressure.

At Vejthani Hospital in Bangkok it is something everyone gets before seeing eye doctor - and doctors likely to do direct contact test when doing exam.  Weight/BP/computer eye focus chart/computer IOP air puff test/20 foot manual visual acuity of each eye are routine pre doctor tests. 

51 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

If you have open angle glaucoma, no problem.

If narrow (closed) angle, there is a small risk though most people are fine:

" In rare instances, this (antihistamines) can cause an acute glaucoma attack in individuals whose anterior chamber angles are anatomically narrow (narrow-angle glaucoma or angle-closure glaucoma).

However, this is rare and the use of antihistamines is usually acceptable for those with glaucoma."

https://www.glaucoma.org/q-a/why-are-allergy-medications-contraindicated-for-people-with-glaucoma.php

thanks Sheryl...... i didn't ask yet which one i have ( did read majority of people have open angle).  Am taking small dosages of sulidine which do the trick.  when reading i also clicked on this statement:

As a glaucoma patient, you have the opportunity to teach your friends and relatives about this disease. Many people are unaware of the importance of eye checkups and do not know that individuals with glaucoma may have no symptoms. You can help protect their eye health by encouraging them to have their eye pressure and optic nerves checked regularly.          Funny, because i have already begun to do so....I have pretty good eyesight so it was a shock to me to be told of my glaucoma.  

27 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

At Vejthani Hospital in Bangkok it is something everyone gets before seeing eye doctor - and doctors likely to do direct contact test when doing exam.  Weight/BP/computer eye focus chart/computer IOP air puff test/20 foot manual visual acuity of each eye are routine pre doctor tests. 

Definitely the correct way !   should be a no brainer.....but obviously not always done.   

I've taken Xalatan for nearly years, with no side effects that I'm aware of.

I recently started taking 'DuoTrav', which I assume has the same active ingredients, because the local hospital stopped stocking Xalatan for some reason.

52 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

I've taken Xalatan for nearly years, with no side effects that I'm aware of.

I recently started taking 'DuoTrav', which I assume has the same active ingredients, because the local hospital stopped stocking Xalatan for some reason.

DuoTrav is Travopost and Timolol combination treatment and should only be used if single medication is not working from quick check.  Xalatan is single medication Latanoprost. 

22 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

Sorry, I may have got confused between Xalacom and Xalatan (again). I mean the one with the yellow top.

That makes more sense - must the Xlacom as Xalatan has white top.  Believe I was also using that for a short period.  And also had the remembering the right name problem.

On 11/8/2018 at 4:45 PM, James2020 said:

I had dozens of patients on Xalatan and never had a serious side effect that required discontinuing the drug.  

To report my experience....after one week it seems that my body is adjusting to the Xalatan.  I did feel a bit weird BUT this is the one time of the year i get bad hay fever so hard to know what is causing that. I take very small dose of antihistamine to relieve itchy eyes and sneezing .  

I would like to know about what medicines should definitely not be taken along with Xalatan.  I was not even asked what medicines i was taking which i find strange.  Information on the drug is also vague about this. In the past, very occasionally i take diclofenac for back ache or valium is back spasm.  I have read conflicting views on diclofenac.....and one mention by a patient that says dr. said valium was ok.  Do you have any opinions on this ( i accept that you are not "recommending" anything but just offering some experience 

you might have based on former patients and knowledge)    Any suggestions appreciated !

12 hours ago, rumak said:

To report my experience....after one week it seems that my body is adjusting to the Xalatan.  I did feel a bit weird BUT this is the one time of the year i get bad hay fever so hard to know what is causing that. I take very small dose of antihistamine to relieve itchy eyes and sneezing .  

I would like to know about what medicines should definitely not be taken along with Xalatan.  I was not even asked what medicines i was taking which i find strange.  Information on the drug is also vague about this. In the past, very occasionally i take diclofenac for back ache or valium is back spasm.  I have read conflicting views on diclofenac.....and one mention by a patient that says dr. said valium was ok.  Do you have any opinions on this ( i accept that you are not "recommending" anything but just offering some experience 

you might have based on former patients and knowledge)    Any suggestions appreciated !

Xalatan is a very safe drug.  As long as you are not taking other eye drops, there is no proven systemic drug interaction.  I found two studies of topical diclofenac possibly interacting with topical xalatan, but there are problems with the studies.  Topical diclofenac is used for short periods in most cases anyway.  Occasional use of systemic diclofenac or valium should not be a problem.

18 hours ago, rumak said:

https://www.pdr.net/drug-summary/Xalatan-latanoprost-2298

18 hours ago, rumak said:

https://www.pdr.net/drug-summary/Xalatan-latanoprost-2298

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

DRUG INTERACTIONS

There are no drug interactions associated with Latanoprost products.

thanks for that link !  unfortunately when i searched i came across this "info"

There may be an interaction between latanoprost and any of the following:
  • bimatoprost.
  • non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications (NSAIDs; e.g., diclofenac, ibuprofen, naproxen)

as you see, even when trying to get correct info there is often contradictory statements from different sources.  NSAIDs were mentioned in two on first google page.  I rarely take diclofenac, but sleeping is

quite a problem and would like to take half a valium once in a while just to get somewhat of a restful sleep.

1 hour ago, rumak said:

DRUG INTERACTIONS

There are no drug interactions associated with Latanoprost products.

thanks for that link !  unfortunately when i searched i came across this "info"

There may be an interaction between latanoprost and any of the following:
  • bimatoprost.
  • non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications (NSAIDs; e.g., diclofenac, ibuprofen, naproxen)

as you see, even when trying to get correct info there is often contradictory statements from different sources.  NSAIDs were mentioned in two on first google page.  I rarely take diclofenac, but sleeping is

quite a problem and would like to take half a valium once in a while just to get somewhat of a restful sleep.

Yes, of course, but all sources are not equal in accuracy and Google is no judge of which  sources are. It just kicks things up according to frequently internet users have clicked on it.  A number of completely false, quack items get widely shared that way.

Yhe source I used is the Physician's Desk Reference, a   long-standing  publication which compiles its information directly from manufacturers' records including the exact results of drug trials and post-marketing experience, in accordance with FDA regulations.

I don't know what the source of the info you quote is.

20 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Yes, of course, but all sources are not equal in accuracy and Google is no judge of which  sources are. It just kicks things up according to frequently internet users have clicked on it.  A number of completely false, quack items get widely shared that way.

Yhe source I used is the Physician's Desk Reference, a   long-standing  publication which compiles its information directly from manufacturers' records including the exact results of drug trials and post-marketing experience, in accordance with FDA regulations.

I don't know what the source of the info you quote is.

There may be an interaction between latanoprost and any of the following: bimatoprost. non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications (NSAIDs; e.g., diclofenac, ibuprofen, naproxen) other eye drops. thimerosal.

that is the source.  as you say, finding the correct info is not assured.  I will try to use the PDR in the future.  I will be seeing Dr. Thidarat again on tues......... hopefully pressure has gone done.

• 1 month later...
On 11/10/2018 at 11:58 AM, lopburi3 said:

That makes more sense - must the Xlacom as Xalatan has white top.  Believe I was also using that for a short period.  And also had the remembering the right name problem.

Hi again.  UPDATE:   Xalatan has lowered my pressure to approx 14L and 16 R eye.   Somehow Drs. think that

another med or adding one would be helpful.  Any thoughts?

But the main development is that after macula exam of my right eye I am said to have EPIRETINAL MEMBRANE.   My sight at this time is still good...but Dr said she would recommend surgery ( pars plana vitrectomy).  reading about it I am not a fan,   I found one link that states//www.mdfoundation.com.au/content/epiretinal-membrane-macular-pucker-0   it is often not necessary.

If you or anyone has any info or suggestions I am all ears (and eyes)

thanks!

Archived