EU supporters march in London to call for Brexit deal referendum

rooster59

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Grouse said:

I will be posting about Sweden on here shortly. However, in brief, they need to ship the Muslims out. Currently they are blot on Stockholm. However, nobody I spoke to is in favour of leaving the EU. They have twice the land area of the UK and 1/7 the population. So there is a huge amount of space. Muslims just don't fit.

I would be interested in your chum's opinions.

I lived in Denmark for several years and it is still my favourite country by far. They seem to have made a better fist of dealing with the Muslims than their Swedish neighbours.

When I was in the RAF, I did a couple of months at Alborg in 1975. To put things in perspective we were paid more in overseas allowance than we were being paid, the good old days.

One weekend we went over on the boat to Gothenburg and got chatting to some Swedes. They couldn't understand we were going to Sweden, they preferred to go to Denmark for the day as it was so much cheaper.

Some just refuse to believe that the main European countries have always had a higher standard of living and the UK was the poor man of Europe.

1 minute ago, sandyf said:

When I was in the RAF, I did a couple of months at Alborg in 1975. To put things in perspective we were paid more in overseas allowance than we were being paid, the good old days.

One weekend we went over on the boat to Gothenburg and got chatting to some Swedes. They couldn't understand we were going to Sweden, they preferred to go to Denmark for the day as it was so much cheaper.

Some just refuse to believe that the main European countries have always had a higher standard of living and the UK was the poor man of Europe.

Expected...Envy of our pickled onions....:stoner:

I recall those days of allowances too, primarily whist stationed in Canada, it was that good I returned.

The LOA is still good for many.

Excuse the thread drift.

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

24 minutes ago, citybiker said:

Brexit moronic simply because you disagree with it?

No. Rational analysis of the pros and cons and weighing the possible risks and benefits. Absolutely no contest. The answer is so clearly to remain that Brexit is clearly moronic.

2 minutes ago, Grouse said:

No. Rational analysis of the pros and cons and weighing the possible risks and benefits. Absolutely no contest. The answer is so clearly to remain that Brexit is clearly moronic.

Keep going.

It is the moronic rantings of people like who are causing the very thing you despise.

Today, every fourth European is governed by a populist leader. Populists have grabbed the reins in Italy, Greece, Poland, Hungary and the Czech Republic. They’re busy reshaping the political landscape in countries such as Austria and Finland, where they are in government with established parties, and in Germany and the Netherlands, where they make up the largest opposition force.

https://www.politico.eu/article/what-populists-get-right-establishment-should-take-notes/

Great job. Do keep it up ??

24 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Skol!

IMG_2737.JPG

3 minutes ago, The Renegade said:

Keep going.

It is the moronic rantings of people like who are causing the very thing you despise.

https://www.politico.eu/article/what-populists-get-right-establishment-should-take-notes/

Great job. Do keep it up ??

I don't think so...

I despise populism and agree with Macron

At least these countries have electoral systems that allow people to express their dissatisfaction; a safety valve if you like. 

In Sweden the SD (Swedish Democrat NOT sicherheits dienst!) will do well.

I think some form of PR is indeed more democratic and people have their voices heard. I don't see and seismic shifts though. 

Are you pro Erdogan also?

I respect your viewpoint however staunchly disagree, very much like the majority 17m which also decided the status quo and the direction of the EU was wrong.

I'm sure you already knew what my reply was anyway ;-)

31 minutes ago, citybiker said:

I respect your viewpoint however staunchly disagree, very much like the majority 17m which also decided the status quo and the direction of the EU was wrong.

I'm sure you already knew what my reply was anyway ?

Very polite!

On 6/24/2018 at 4:15 PM, Chomper Higgot said:

Britain upheld those treaties because it was in Britain’s interests to do so.

And the war was fought by ‘allies’, thousands of mainland Europeans served in the British forces. As did hundreds of thousands of people from the British Empire.

But you’ll not often see these truths in the monochromatic Ealing Studios war movies that inform so much of British views on how The was was fought and who fought it.

Please qualify which war. 

I'm sure there are members who who fought in the Boer,  Great,  and second world wars..... Not to mention the many Khmer conflicts of yesteryear.:-)

13 hours ago, the guest said:

Most in EU are pretty fed-up with the moaning British. You had the vote, deal with it!

At the moment, it's mainly the remainers that are moaning - not the brit. brexiteers.

As you say, the uk had the vote, and most now just want the uk and eu govts. to get on with it!  Unfortunately the remainers and the eu govt. are making that as difficult as possible.

1 minute ago, dick dasterdly said:

At the moment, it's mainly the remainers that are moaning - not the brit. brexiteers.

As you say, the uk had the vote, and most now just want the uk and eu govts. to get on with it!  Unfortunately the remainers and the eu govt. are making that as difficult as possible.

That pretty much nails it.

4 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

.......which some of us knew would happen and the UK is trying to deal with it...

It’s a great shame that GB seems so disjointed right now —- remainders/brexiteers/ ethnic groups(cannot call them minorities any more). It seems that everyone has a different ‘enemy’.

Glad I jumped ship!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24 minutes ago, DILLIGAD said:

It’s a great shame that GB seems so disjointed right now —- remainders/brexiteers/ ethnic groups(cannot call them minorities any more). It seems that everyone has a different ‘enemy’.

Glad I jumped ship!!

Yes, up until now the 'losers' have largely accepted referendum and general election results, even though they were less than happy at the result....

This is a new phenomenon, even though the referendum result was far more democratic than general election results.

Had the leave campaign delivered on the aspirations of Boris Gove and Farangatang etc things would have been different .

Now its time for a revote with the facts. In or out for millionaires they will still be millionaires its the poor that will end up with the colossal bill.  

2 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

Had the leave campaign delivered on the aspirations of Boris Gove and Farangatang etc things would have been different .

Now its time for a revote with the facts. In or out for millionaires they will still be millionaires its the poor that will end up with the colossal bill.  

Whereas IMO, had the uk govt. stood up against the eu govt's. list of 'the order of discussion talks' - things would have been different ☺️.

Why on earth did the brit. govt. agree to start talking about money to be paid and all the rest - with a trade agreement at the bottom of the list??

Whereas IMO, had the uk govt. stood up against the eu govt's. list of 'the order of discussion talks' - things would have been different [emoji5].

Why on earth did the brit. govt. agree to start talking about money to be paid and all the rest - with a trade agreement at the bottom of the list??

I can't recall the exact mutually agreed structure however I'm still convinced that even though the UK legally leaves in March 19 the transition period will focus & continue on trade, subject to all MS voting for the extention due to A50 criteria, which is also poorly drafted.

IIRC security & intelligence is where DD see's his forte, and Barnier knows it.

2 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

Whereas IMO, had the uk govt. stood up against the eu govt's. list of 'the order of discussion talks' - things would have been different ☺️.

If you let go of the idea perforated by Davis, Farage, Johnson et al that the UK holds all the aces the reason why the U.K. acquiesced.

Weak and Wobbly’s ‘Chinese’ U-Turn on Hinckley was another example of what’s in store for an isolated UK.

If you let go of the idea perforated by Davis, Farage, Johnson et al that the UK holds all the aces the reason why the U.K. acquiesced.  

Weak and Wobbly’s ‘Chinese’ U-Turn on Hinckley was another example of what’s in store for an isolated UK.

Without saying your right or wrong, do you feel that UK industries have benefited from EU. I just hear of many trades/companies disappearing &/or being moved ‘lock,stock&barrel’ to poorer nations in the EU, leaving vast social wasteland in UK.

9 minutes ago, DILLIGAD said:

Without saying your right or wrong, do you feel that UK industries have benefited from EU. I just hear of many trades/companies disappearing &/or being moved ‘lock,stock&barrel’ to poorer nations in the EU, leaving vast social wasteland in UK.

The industry I worked in certainly benefitted from the UK being in the EU.

I’m sure that’s true of any businesses that took advantage of the ‘integration’

opportunities that the EU presents (automotive, aerospace, Financial Services? IT being examples).

I’m not sure you can blame the EU for private businesses shifting operations overseas (the greater part of which moved to Asia, not the EU).

A subtext of Brexit arguments is that individuals (ordinary people) are somehow helpless, passive pawns suffering any number of consequences attributed by Brexit supporters to the EU. This denies the existence of personal agency.

An example of this is the arguments around worker pay/working conditions.

Brexit supporters often blame low pay poor employment conditions on the EU.

However, ask Brexit sopporters who hold that view how they feel about workers joining unions to fight for better pay and conditions and many (not all but many) will trot out anti union arguments. 

The helpless Brit at the mercy of the EU, who must never trust his future to collectivism with his fellow workers must rely on a handful of Etonians to save him/her from the EU.

All the while it is the decisions of private businesses to pay low wages or ship work off shore.

And for the post Brexit future the government has an eye on ‘deregulation’ and the reduction of worker rights.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-worker-rights-impact-assessment-eu-withdrawal-leaked-theresa-may-a8201176.html

Archived