Thailand welcomes 16.4 million foreigners so far this year

rooster59

Thailand welcomes 16.4 million foreigners so far this year

Thammarat Thadaphrom

PNECO610623001000201.jpg

BANGKOK, 23rd June 2018 (NNT) – During the first five months of 2018, Thailand received a total of 16.4 million visitors from overseas, according to the Ministry of Tourism and Sports. 

Pongpanu Svetarundra, Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Tourism and Sports has disclosed that Thailand in May welcomed no fewer than 2.755 million foreign visitors, which represented a year-on-year increase of 6.35%, generating more than 136.71 million baht in tourism revenue. 

The top three foreign nationalities visiting Thailand were from China, Malaysia and India. 

He added that tourism has been sluggish this month partly due to the fasting ritual of Ramadan. 

During the first five months of 2018, the number of foreign visitors surged 12.62% to 16.456 million people who spent a total of 867.46 million baht, an increase of 16.11% year-on-year. 

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-06-24

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

".....a total of 16.4 million visitors from overseas"

About seven million of whom are in transit and headed to safer and cheaper Asian tourist destinations nearby.

I think that ''staged photo opp'' is not representative of the majority of visitors and locals who abuse thialand, eat the seafood and take selfies....i really don't know how much more this once great, pristine kingdom can endure

24 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

About seven million of whom are in transit and headed to safer and cheaper Asian tourist destinations nearby.

And when they return to Thailand to catch their return flight are they counted again?

"Thailand welcomes 16.4 million foreigners..."

Being greeted with "All temples and other sites are are closed for special holiday, but I can take you to special friend who will make you nice suit" is not my idea of being welcomed. 

Just now, greeneking said:

And when they return to Thailand to catch their return flight are they counted again?

No these are jut the ones arriving. The numbers leaving are higher than those arriving. The numbers leaving on any given day are boosted by politicians and senior civil servants and their entourages on junkets abroad. e.g. collecting monks from Europe and visiting Interpol.

1 hour ago, mok199 said:

I think that ''staged photo opp'' is not representative of the majority of visitors and locals who abuse thialand, eat the seafood and take selfies....i really don't know how much more this once great, pristine kingdom can endure

What I think we are seeing is the final grab for money before Thailand goes the way of Spain and Greece (as far as Europeans are concerned).

Steal and sell is the cry: if it ain't nailed down, steal it. If it is nailed down, sell it. The next billion's got to come from somewhere...

16.4 million in 5 months...

Lets see, that's 151 days, which is...

108,609 and a bit visitors per day (notice how they don't count trourists any more...)

4525 and a bit every hour

75 and a half every minute.

Have you ever seen the queues at immigration?

Methinks the figures are a bit rubbery...

23 minutes ago, KiwiKiwi said:

108,609 and a bit visitors per day (notice how they don't count trourists any more...)

Makes absolutely no sense as there are major peaks and valleys along the way.  

Also, there are many many ways to come into this country not just Suvarnabhumi.....

3 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Makes absolutely no sense as there are major peaks and valleys along the way.  

Also, there are many many ways to come into this country not just Suvarnabhumi.....

Yes, I know, statistics is lumpy. A bit like custard, or porridge.

So, rather than not bother, we use averages...

28 minutes ago, KiwiKiwi said:

I only have anectodal evidence, but just 4 years ago if I saw more than 2 other foreigners at the Mall Bangkapi, that was a lot.  These days I can easily count 15 or more . . . and this mall is a good 15 km north of Khao San Road. 

6 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

Air traffic (only) from AoT.

http://aot.listedcompany.com/transport.html

image.png.a1348b53f846b84a88a717e8d50aa11b.png

Hmmm.

Does this include through traffic or BKK as final destination only?

Odd how arrivals this off season seem to eclipse arrivals last high season.

Any correlation between arrivals announced by TAT and this graph?

Or is it the usual battle between the untrue and the ridiculous?

21 minutes ago, KiwiKiwi said:

Hmmm.

Does this include through traffic or BKK as final destination only?

Odd how arrivals this off season seem to eclipse arrivals last high season.

Any correlation between arrivals announced by TAT and this graph?

Or is it the usual battle between the untrue and the ridiculous?

Dunno, I read the OP and just thought it would be interesting to see airport traffic stats.  Not making any assertions either way with it, and obviously doesn't include land and SPOD data.   

42 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

Dunno, I read the OP and just thought it would be interesting to see airport traffic stats.  Not making any assertions either way with it, and obviously doesn't include land and SPOD data.   

*nods*

Thanks

I am no expert on this place.

This is the fourth year in a row I have been around for the " low season".

I see no difference now then any other time of the year.  People, traffic the same it seems.  Was in Chiang Mai and Bangkok recently got the same vibe.  All seems this place is more and more popular.  And according to some, just the beginning probably will double in 10 years or so.

Welcome to Merry 'Ol Thailand -- have a token of appreciation from your friendly hosts, tuk tuk drivers, karaoke bar bill padders, testosterone ladened ladyboys, Walking Street troublemakers, Jet Ski Operators, yaba addled taxi drivers, overly aggressive hi-sos in luxury cars, etc, etc, etc.....not to mention other drunk-and-disorderly quality tourists - enjoy your stay!!!

1 hour ago, connda said:

Welcome to Merry 'Ol Thailand -- have a token of appreciation from your friendly hosts, tuk tuk drivers, karaoke bar bill padders, testosterone ladened ladyboys, Walking Street troublemakers, Jet Ski Operators, yaba addled taxi drivers, overly aggressive hi-sos in luxury cars, etc, etc, etc.....not to mention other drunk-and-disorderly quality tourists - enjoy your stay!!!

Bitter and full of hate for the place.

Very sad.....

6 hours ago, TomJoad said:

I only have anectodal evidence, but just 4 years ago if I saw more than 2 other foreigners at the Mall Bangkapi, that was a lot.  These days I can easily count 15 or more . . . and this mall is a good 15 km north of Khao San Road. 

mabey its the pollution, I know our family in pattaya have all become mall rats .the dust the tour buses churn up and the diesel they belch out ..its almost impossible to sit near the beach..

Archived