BANGKOK 19 April 2019 03:18
SCOTT FITZGERSLD

what is the maximum amount of cash allowed in/ out thailand?

Thailand custom web site shows maximum amount of FOREIGN cash allowed in / out thailand is 20,000 USD.

BUT recent article in bangkok post says that maximum amount is 450,000 baht.

is there any update regarding maximum CASH amount (foreign currency) allowed in / out thailand?

As ubonjoe stated, you can import and export any amount of foreign currency. The only difficulty you might have is transferring the money back out of the country using a bank.

If you bring in more than the equivalent of USD 50,000 by transfer to a Thai bank, be sure to ask for a FET form, and keep it for the day you want to transfer the money out of the country.

Alternatively, you can always hand carry the cash out, but be sure to declare it when you leave Thailand and when you arrive at your destination (if required).

Whilst quite correct to question funds in and out of Thailand care should be taking hard cash out of your own country in the first place and getting a tug by a Customs money dog on final gate.

Customs shows in the uk seems to take great delight in targetting flights to Bangkok. Only last week Eva got an airing with believe it or not a flight attendant going on holiday with £3500. Fortunately phone calls from Customs to her mother satisfied them but she was on offer with no proof of where it came from. Only £1000 in uk before questions entltled to be asked

Wow, cash dogs!!

Fruit, yes?

Cash?

The first time I have heard of this.

Just wondering-

If someone declares taking (as an example) $30,000 out of Thailand, do you think the Thai govt. alerts the country the flight is going to?

I'm sure you can transfer a lot more as long you can prove where the money came from , i.e you want to move back to your home country and sell your house for millions of bath. I have forms from BKK bank that ask for proof of origin for the funds when you transfered money to buy the house.  (Repatriate fund's originated overseas from foreign bank account)

Edited by spetersen
missing one line
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, charliebadenhop said:

Wow, cash dogs!!

Fruit, yes?

Cash?

Just wondering-

If someone declares taking (as an example) $30,000 out of Thailand, do you think the Thai govt. alerts the country the flight is going to?

Called "sniffer dogs". Seen them in The States. Others trained to specifically sniff out drugs. Agriculture doggies sniff out fruits & veggies, meat and other foods. 

https://www.geek.com/news/new-machine-sniffs-out-cash-may-replace-sniffer-dogs-1602322/

• Like 1

Have sold house and transferred millions of baht out of Thailand no problems ay BKK Bank. Of course I bring in a lot of money from outside Thailand every month into the same account. Never been asked anything while transferring out 

image.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, charliebadenhop said:

Wow, cash dogs!!

Fruit, yes?

Cash?

Just wondering-

I got stopped by the cash dogs, leaving the US, they sniff the money, had a little over allowed, make me fill in a form and gave me the riot act about how I could get kicked off the flight and even put in jail, a real <deleted>

20 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

i saw it on youtube UK CUSTOMS...they have a special dog to sniff out cash, and they caught one arab guy (UK resident or citizen) on his way to dubai, with 3800 pounds in CASH . they checked on his tax reports (ALL LIVE IN THE AIRPORT) and saw something wrong there, so they confiscated all the cash...quite horrific....i hope this nazi way of spying after travellers will not spread to the rest of the world.

The cash could have been proceeds of crime (maybe it was). He then has time to prove that it was not and can then reclaim the cash. He clearly had something interesting and not clearly correct in his tax report. 

So what is horrific about that

I have quite recently gone through Heathrow with a reasonably significant amount. All you have to do is fill in the form and talk to the cash team. This took about 10 minutes and was a pleasant chat.

In Ethiopia, my transit country the procedure was similar, though it was before exiting the airport and they counted the money (the UK cash team did not). The Ethiopian limit is much lower than the UK or Thai one.

Most countries have limits on cash being carried without a declaration, some (Canada is one) will fine you if you have more and haven't declared it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To the OP, I would go by what others have said above.

That said, I saw something related on the bottom of a receipt I got when changing dollars to baht at an SCB Bank kiosk at Suvarnabhumi earlier this month. Note: The baht amount listed seems to be missing a "0."

201806dollar exchange receipt btm.jpg

One time in Uk going thru Terminal 5 to Thailand I had £5000 in my carry on bag & I had with me Bht 10,000 for when I got to BKK for expenses. I was at the last gate for boarding & a Customs guy with a terrier asked me to put my bag on the floor. Well the dogs tail did the Zulu dance & I thought Oh shit.

Well you could have knocked me down with a feather, Customs guy said "Do you have Thai Baht in your

bag & yes I showed him the Bht 10,000 & he said OK, I asked why he had stopped me & was told that Thai Baht gives of a smell similiar to explosives, so guys take care. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, skikusa said:

I asked why he had stopped me & was told that Thai Baht gives of a smell similiar to explosives, so guys take care. 

Oh wow, THAT is interesting!!

Thanks for sharing.

Dogs in the custodial system ( jails) in Australia can sniff out mobile phones .

Some are made of plastic or carbon fiber , but the dogs are trained to sniff out the Lithium in the battery.

• Like 1