what is the maximum amount of cash allowed in/ out thailand?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, KittenKong said:

Even declared cash under 10,000EUR can be seized at the UK border and held without a court order for 48 hours if the authorities think that a crime may have been committed. Money-laundering would be the obvious choice for that.

https://www.gov.uk/bringing-cash-into-uk

The same applies inside the UK: under the Proceeds of Crime Act if a police officer suspects that a crime has been committed he can seize any cash over £1000, if he fancies, pending some sort of proof of where it came from.

https://www.irwinmitchell.com/personal/crime-and-investigations/crime/cash-seizure-forfeiture

Your first link is the one I posted twice above and yes, declared cash can be seized as long as the CO has reasonable grounds.

Your second link pretty much confirms it but as it goes to a firm of solicitors, the phrase "hidden agenda" comes to mind ?  They do agree though that a criminal act needs to be involved / suspected.

Oh, @KittenKong please be so kind as  to post your links so that one can click on them rather than have to copy and paste. In your post #29 they are not "clickable", in this reply they are :wai:

12 hours ago, VBF said:

@Chivas As I asked above, can you kindly provide an official UK Government link to the part I've highlighted in red.

I posted such a link about the "10,000 Euro and above"  in #19 and #24 so am willing to accept that.

People's assertions of anything else are just rumours until an official link is posted.

I'm not having a go at you, but I really would like to know!

Your suggestion to carry tellers receipts is sensible, or have a device on you which can access your  online banking.

And with respect, your comment about "as part of something bigger" leads me to conclude that you were singled out for whatever reason, whether your fault or not - and yes I do realise it's personal but I'm just re-making my point about "profiling" which I made in #21

I wasnt singled out or profiled I was arrested for a totally different reason. I just happened to have £1012 on me at time of arrest as had been on holiday.

Thats why I know the rules inside out. I've been tugged outbound twice on my own on final gate with no issues and couple years ago got a tug when going through personal baggage screening at Heathrow with a friend.... Clearly the xray guy had spotted a bundle security had a quick look and I was fully expecting a tug on final gate but didnt surprisingly. Had about £5,500 that day albeit Bank receipts covering it

I wouldnt leave the uk without at least 3 large on me before someone asks why in an age of ATMS and plastics do i carry so much. Am sure some carry a lot more

Your second link pretty much confirms it but as it goes to a firm of solicitors, the phrase "hidden agenda" comes to mind. They do agree though that a criminal act needs to be involved / suspected.

Oh, @KittenKong please be so kind as to post your links so that one can click on them rather than have to copy and paste. In your post #29 they are not "clickable", in this reply they are/

I found several other sites that said the same thing about the Proceeds of Crime Act. That one was the clearest.

As for the clickable links, that code seems to be inserted by javascript on this site. I block scripts and suchlike so as to improve my experience on this site. I wont be changing that habit any time soon, I'm afraid, but it does mean that my posts have no fancy formatting, emoticons etc.

Hint: you dont need to copy/paste my links. Just highlight them (by triple-clicking if you like), then right-click and select "open link in new window/tab".

On 6/24/2018 at 5:01 PM, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

i saw it on youtube UK CUSTOMS...they have a special dog to sniff out cash, and they caught one arab guy (UK resident or citizen) on his way to dubai, with 3800 pounds in CASH . they checked on his tax reports (ALL LIVE IN THE AIRPORT) and saw something wrong there, so they confiscated all the cash...quite horrific....i hope this nazi way of spying after travellers will not spread to the rest of the world.

Nothing Nazi about it. If it's legit then no worries. If not then they deserve to be caught.

On 6/25/2018 at 3:23 PM, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

WHAT'S horrific about it is that:

A. the UK customs stopped a UK resident / citizen. if he is a suspect in any crime they could arrest him before travel

B. the UK customs could not find anything on him so they decided to check his tax status and found there a small problem, the guy was just an owner of small shop, not a big deal.

C. the amount - in that youtube movie - was not substantial, just 3800 pound.

D. the guy was arab / muslim flying to arab country, smells like racial profiling (same as in most youtube movies there,

the custom oficers check mostly dark skin / white trash people. 

E. the smart guys who really know how to smuggle don't carry cash like that, and don't neccasary wear dark skin / cheap clothes.

F. it is nasty to sniff people for cash when they are just about to fly out OF an airport. drugs and explosives i fully understand, but cash? give us a break, you frikkin Uk customs control friks !!!

Who are you to say its not a big deal? As someone who pays a shed load tax to HMRC, I resent people who try to cheat the system.

The rest of your post is just opinion and would be applicable to any airport around the world.

8 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

Nothing Nazi about it. If it's legit then no worries. If not then they deserve to be caught.

Agreed and without labouring the point its not confiscated at the airports its detained pending further investigation. They put the initial case to the magistrates 3 days later is the norm as was mine. As I was inbound to the uk I had the opportunity to prove origin and I offered statements but they wanted no part of me and was officially confiscated about 3 months later

17 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Agreed and without labouring the point its not confiscated at the airports its detained pending further investigation. They put the initial case to the magistrates 3 days later is the norm as was mine. As I was inbound to the uk I had the opportunity to prove origin and I offered statements but they wanted no part of me and was officially confiscated about 3 months later

That's confusing!  Earlier you said that you  "were arrested for a totally different reason"  and now you say they wanted no part of you but the money was confiscated.

So are you implying that you are a "regular" case or that there are other influencing factors leading to your arrest - your word if you recall.

I'm not wishing to be too intrusive, but really trying to find out if the run of the mill traveller is likely to have an issue even if the dogs do sense the cash, as i frequently travel with several thousand pounds and really don't want the hassle!

23 hours ago, Chivas said:

I wasnt singled out or profiled I was arrested for a totally different reason. I just happened to have £1012 on me at time of arrest as had been on holiday.

Thats why I know the rules inside out. I've been tugged outbound twice on my own on final gate with no issues and couple years ago got a tug when going through personal baggage screening at Heathrow with a friend.... Clearly the xray guy had spotted a bundle security had a quick look and I was fully expecting a tug on final gate but didnt surprisingly. Had about £5,500 that day albeit Bank receipts covering it

I wouldnt leave the uk without at least 3 large on me before someone asks why in an age of ATMS and plastics do i carry so much. Am sure some carry a lot more

if someone asks you why you carry cash on you in time of ATM's and plastics, you can tell them you don't work for the plastic companies and want to save on fees.

for example, cash withdraw from ATM  = 5-8 USD.

exchange rate differences (better rates on cash than the credit cards) = another 1-3%

those fees can add up easily to substantial amounts.

On 6/25/2018 at 8:51 AM, cbuddha said:

To the OP, I would go by what others have said above.

That said, I saw something related on the bottom of a receipt I got when changing dollars to baht at an SCB Bank kiosk at Suvarnabhumi earlier this month. Note: The baht amount listed seems to be missing a "0."

201806dollar exchange receipt btm.jpg

so...what is the USD cash amount allowed in / out thailand?

the receipt here is not missing a zero.

the THB cash amount allowed is 50,000 indeed.

but the USD cash amount is different .

it says here and also a cash declaration form,  15,000 USD.

but the thai customs web site says it is  20,000 USD...

As usual, confusing thailand...

7 hours ago, VBF said:

That's confusing!  Earlier you said that you  "were arrested for a totally different reason"  and now you say they wanted no part of you but the money was confiscated.

So are you implying that you are a "regular" case or that there are other influencing factors leading to your arrest - your word if you recall.

I'm not wishing to be too intrusive, but really trying to find out if the run of the mill traveller is likely to have an issue even if the dogs do sense the cash, as i frequently travel with several thousand pounds and really don't want the hassle!

lol stop over thinking. I was arrested but absolutely nothing to do with having £1,012 on me that was purely a by product. I might have had £999 at which point it would have been disregarded and we wouldnt be having this conversation

They claimed the £1,012 was a by product for the reason for my arrest. It had nothing whatsoever to do with it but they choose to detain and confiscate

Just carry ATM or bank teller receipts to the level of the funds that you're carrying thats all you need to do simple as

If you got £3000 then carry 3k of receipts as an example

4 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

if someone asks you why you carry cash on you in time of ATM's and plastics, you can tell them you don't work for the plastic companies and want to save on fees.

exchange rate differences (better rates on cash than the credit cards) = another 1-3%

Well be prepared to lose it then as in "detained" inotherwards fly without it far easier  to conform and carry proof of origin in my opinion

8 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

That's absolutely fine. The checks are in place to prove that the money is legit. A few years back there were a lot of cases of labourers from Eastern Europe taking money back home to their families,  all of it was paid cash in hand and no tax was paid...Sorry that's not fair to the rest of us.

On 6/27/2018 at 1:49 PM, Chelseafan said:

That's absolutely fine. The checks are in place to prove that the money is legit. A few years back there were a lot of cases of labourers from Eastern Europe taking money back home to their families,  all of it was paid cash in hand and no tax was paid...Sorry that's not fair to the rest of us.

so if those labourers would send the money by western union or moneygram  - you would feel better?

the purpose of the hysteric UK cash search is not to make you feel that the world is a fair place (anyway

they won't harras the rich and powerfull who cheat big on their taxes) but

to gain more control and more power for banks and governments over each and every financial transaction, or

in other words - your life, your freedom and your privacy.

On 6/25/2018 at 4:53 PM, charliebadenhop said:

Wow, cash dogs!!

Fruit, yes?

Cash?

The first time I have heard of this.

Just wondering-

If someone declares taking (as an example) $30,000 out of Thailand, do you think the Thai govt. alerts the country the flight is going to?

Cash dogs are common in the UK. Most notes have cocaine traces on them

On 6/24/2018 at 5:01 PM, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

so they confiscated all the cash...quite horrific....i hope this nazi way of spying after travellers will not spread to the rest of the world.

Its not exactly confiscated.  Under the Proceeds of Crime Act the authorities can seize and amount larger then £900 if the holder cannoy prove where it came from.  The police have the same powers if you are stopped and searched on the street.  If you can go back and prove where the cash came for later, they have to return the cash.

6 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

so if those labourers would send the money by western union or moneygram  - you would feel better?

the purpose of the hysteric UK cash search is not to make you feel that the world is a fair place (anyway

they won't harras the rich and powerfull who cheat big on their taxes) but

to gain more control and more power for banks and governments over each and every financial transaction, or

in other words - your life, your freedom and your privacy.

No they wouldn't be caught with WU or MG although there would be evidence for the authorities to question where the money came from.

It's not "Hysteric UK Cash search". It happens in airports across the world, including Thailand and the US

I have no issues with passengers taking cash, I do it but I know I can account for it through ATM's or book-keeping.

Your whole premise is a complete deviation. There is nothing wrong about authorities checking passengers. As I said before, if the cash is legit then what's the problem.

Jeez lighten up man.

2 hours ago, The manic said:

That's why you have to think smart. My Irish mate got his cash in to the country by changing it in to coins and packing them in suitcases, it cost him a fortune in excess baggage but he got it all through. ?

On 6/26/2018 at 10:08 PM, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

is that how you define cash now - potential proceeds of crime ???

Unexplained cash is quite possibly crime related, and it is perfectly correct to treat it as that until you prove otherwise. If you have got the cash legitimately and paid any tax that should be paid it would not be seized.

On 6/26/2018 at 10:08 PM, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

cash is just cash

BS! cash may just be a way of moving your money. But in larger amounts "a few thousand qualifies" is often a way of evading tax or hiding proceeds of crime.

If you bothered to read rather than complain about HMRC doing its job you would have noticed that I also carry cash, sometimes over the required declaration limit I can always show where it came from and how I got it so have no problems with HMRC or any other boarder control officers.

The fact that you think that a few thousand is not worth being questioned about and get upset that someone could have it detained makes rather interesting speculation.

The lady (lad) doth protest too much, methinks

10 hours ago, The manic said:

The cash dogs are trained on cash not on anything that may be on the cash.

Unless trained on both cash and cocaine a cash dog will not bother to sit beside a suitcase case that has 10kg of cocaine but no cash in it.

31 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The cash dogs are trained on cash not on anything that may be on the cash.

Unless trained on both cash and cocaine a cash dog will not bother to sit beside a suitcase case that has 10kg of cocaine but no cash in it.

Cash dogs are trained to find paper cash, most of which in the UK is tainted with cocaine. Such dogs are used in airports,railway stations and tube stations and elswhere

9 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

No they wouldn't be caught with WU or MG although there would be evidence for the authorities to question where the money came from.

It's not "Hysteric UK Cash search". It happens in airports across the world, including Thailand and the US

I have no issues with passengers taking cash, I do it but I know I can account for it through ATM's or book-keeping.

Your whole premise is a complete deviation. There is nothing wrong about authorities checking passengers. As I said before, if the cash is legit then what's the problem.

Jeez lighten up man.

Innocent intil ptoven guilty.  i always carry cash and dont keep ATM slips. We all know who has dirty money and we all know they get away with it....In all countries.

16 minutes ago, The manic said:

Innocent intil ptoven guilty.  i always carry cash and dont keep ATM slips. We all know who has dirty money and we all know they get away with it....In all countries.

Absolutely. No-one carries ATM slips but the point is that if you are challenged you can prove where the funds came from.

On 6/28/2018 at 11:57 AM, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

Scott you're missing the point. Western Union and Moneygram are trackable money transfer services. Hard cash is not

On 6/29/2018 at 5:09 AM, The manic said:

Nope lol NOT repeat NOT in this scenario. You the holder of the funds have to prove where it came from feel free to check. One of the few instances where the onus is on the "guilty" party

On 6/28/2018 at 10:20 PM, sometimewoodworker said:

Unexplained cash is quite possibly crime related, and it is perfectly correct to treat it as that until you prove otherwise. If you have got the cash legitimately and paid any tax that should be paid it would not be seized.

BS! cash may just be a way of moving your money. But in larger amounts "a few thousand qualifies" is often a way of evading tax or hiding proceeds of crime.

If you bothered to read rather than complain about HMRC doing its job you would have noticed that I also carry cash, sometimes over the required declaration limit I can always show where it came from and how I got it so have no problems with HMRC or any other boarder control officers.

The fact that you think that a few thousand is not worth being questioned about and get upset that someone could have it detained makes rather interesting speculation.

The lady (lad) doth protest too much, methinks

carrying cash in reasonable amounts is not a crime and should not be.

few thousands pounds has nothing to do with evading tax nor hiding proceeds of crime.

governments should not harrase people over small amounts of cash (yes few thousand)

and people don't have to prove where such amounts of cash came from.

you see, you think like a slave who thinks that the governments and banks are god and 

they will know best how to guard your $$$

that's the way of thinking that allows tyrrany and nazism. 

cause govetnments are not exactly BY THE PEOPLE FOR THE PEOPLE, and if you

did not realise it by now - well, than cash out all your cash and carry only plastic cards,

until another economic crisis will come and your bank will go bankrupt and freeze all your accounts.

than you can swipe your plastic cards all day long between your cheeks

and see what comes out.

14 hours ago, Chivas said:

Scott you're missing the point. Western Union and Moneygram are trackable money transfer services. Hard cash is not

I haven't used Western Union personally but a friend of mine regularly sends funds abroad using his local Western Union office.  He makes the payment in cash and tells me there are no checks below a certain amount.  Not sure what that amount is but I can't see any reason why he would lie to me. So it seems at least Western Union is not really trackable.

I often carry several thousand pounds into Thailand - as I get a much better rate from the exchanges, the amount depends on how long I'm staying. When I arrive I pay most of it into my Kasikorn account for safety.  I once took £7000 back to the UK as I'd planned to buy a car in Thailand but the deal didn't complete. I've never been checked leaving the UK but typically, on that occasion I was fully searched at Manchester on arrival back in the UK.  The cash was discovered but thank god I had sufficient proof with me to show where it came from.

I don't see why I should have to prove anything though.  One of the cornerstones of the British Justice System is that you are innocent until proven guilty.  Using that maxim it should be up to the authorities to prove my cash is ill gotten, not me prove its not.

7 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

until another economic crisis will come and your bank will go bankrupt and freeze all your accounts.

That has already happened to me, so now I have money and other assets in different places

7 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

few thousands pounds has nothing to do with evading tax nor hiding proceeds of crime.

It may not be for you, it maybe for others. It certainly is more anonymous than bank deposits and transactions.

few thousand here, a few thousand there, can quickly add up to a lot

8 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

governments should not harrase people over small amounts of cash (yes few thousand)

Governments do not harass people over small amounts of cash, they just disagree with you over the definition of small amounts of cash

I assume that you usually carry several hundred thousand Baht around with you, as by your own definition it's a small amount of cash.?

14 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

I haven't used Western Union personally but a friend of mine regularly sends funds abroad using his local Western Union office.  He makes the payment in cash and tells me there are no checks below a certain amount.  Not sure what that amount is but I can't see any reason why he would lie to me. So it seems at least Western Union is not really trackable.

I often carry several thousand pounds into Thailand - as I get a much better rate from the exchanges, the amount depends on how long I'm staying. When I arrive I pay most of it into my Kasikorn account for safety.  I once took £7000 back to the UK as I'd planned to buy a car in Thailand but the deal didn't complete. I've never been checked leaving the UK but typically, on that occasion I was fully searched at Manchester on arrival back in the UK.  The cash was discovered but thank god I had sufficient proof with me to show where it came from.

I don't see why I should have to prove anything though.  One of the cornerstones of the British Justice System is that you are innocent until proven guilty.  Using that maxim it should be up to the authorities to prove my cash is ill gotten, not me prove its not.

problem with western union is that it gives very bad exchange rate. around 5-6 % worse.

so if you send say 5000 pounds by western union, you will get around 300 pounds LESS than what you got

in a decent exchange booth .

and what do you mean by SUFFICIENT PROOF? 

what kind of proof was sufficient for them in  manchester?

Archived