what is the maximum amount of cash allowed in/ out thailand?

11 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

That has already happened to me, so now I have money and other assets in different places

It may not be for you, it maybe for others. It certainly is more anonymous than bank deposits and transactions.

few thousand here, a few thousand there, can quickly add up to a lot

Governments do not harass people over small amounts of cash, they just disagree with you over the definition of small amounts of cash

I assume that you usually carry several hundred thousand Baht around with you, as by your own definition it's a small amount of cash.?

my definition for small amount of cash is based on the government deifiniton.

if governments set the maximum amount as, say, 10000 pounds, than they should not

bother people who carry amounts less than that.

and governments know what they do. they know that 10,000 pounds is not amount big

enought to start a revolution. it is not an amount big enought to even start a business. so

why cant they give us a break? we deserve it, cause after all it was us who worked so hard

for this cash, not those useless civil servants.

otherwise governments should tell us that they make all cash illegal,

than we know where we stand.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

carrying cash in reasonable amounts is not a crime and should not be.

few thousands pounds has nothing to do with evading tax nor hiding proceeds of crime.

governments should not harrase people over small amounts of cash (yes few thousand)

and people don't have to prove where such amounts of cash came from.

you see, you think like a slave who thinks that the governments and banks are god and 

they will know best how to guard your $$$

that's the way of thinking that allows tyrrany and nazism. 

cause govetnments are not exactly BY THE PEOPLE FOR THE PEOPLE, and if you

did not realise it by now - well, than cash out all your cash and carry only plastic cards,

until another economic crisis will come and your bank will go bankrupt and freeze all your accounts.

than you can swipe your plastic cards all day long between your cheeks

and see what comes out.

No-one is saying that carrying cash is a crime, nor are they saying that carrying a  few thousand in cash has anything to do with evading tax. Carry as much as you want

Governments do not harass people over cash.

The fact of the matter is that there ARE those who evade the system and random checks at the airport are an effective way of catching these people.

As for the economic crisis. That's another debate indeed.

• 5 months later...

20,000 USD into or out of the country without declaring it. There is no limit if you declare it.

So, that would probably be 2 or 3 trips to bring in the required 800,000 baht [for the bank account funds for the retirement visa.]  Depending on the rules of the country you're moving it from.

What is the benefit of declaring it at the airport immigration control?

Cash, better exchange rates than Western Union /etc....
If it is not one of the strong currencies that would be accepted by cash exchange facilities in Thailand, you would have to do the exchange before you leave, if not to Thai baht, then to US$ or Euro, in which case you'd be paying fees twice.  (Aside from any advantages or disadvantages in the actual exchange rates.) So I wonder whether doing it with cash would still cost less.
What about just transferring it from your home bank account to your Thailand bank account?

On 7/1/2018 at 12:53 AM, KhaoYai said:

I haven't used Western Union personally but a friend of mine regularly sends funds abroad using his local Western Union office.  He makes the payment in cash and tells me there are no checks below a certain amount.  Not sure what that amount is but I can't see any reason why he would lie to me. So it seems at least Western Union is not really trackable. 

That is not what trackable means. Western Union is the same as a bank. All transactions are logged. Regardless of amounts. Amounts are only related to laws and to triggering reports automatically for tax revenue authorities. All transactions are logged and can be investigated, can be requested by special law enforcement agencies and tax revenue department of govt.

10 minutes ago, Cat ji said:

5 month old topic..........

I seem to remember a topic more recently where the limit may have reduced slightly but the answer to your question is that it is the law and potentially it could be confiscated if you did not declare it.

15 minutes ago, Cat ji said:

What about just transferring it from your home bank account to your Thailand bank account?

What about it?  If you mean limits then only limited by your home bank and how much you have.....Thailand will take whatever you want to send in. Many, many threads on what is best way to transfer from home country to Thailand.

Transferwise seems to be one of the current favourites.

I quote again:

20,000 USD into or out of the country without declaring it. There is no limit if you declare it.

And according to the post subject/title. What is the maximum allowed. In other words, what is the law.

The rest... the issue is the cost of transferring and/or exchange fees. That the cost is less if exchanging cash in Thailand.

6 minutes ago, Cat ji said:

And according to the post subject/title. What is the maximum allowed. In other words, what is the law.

See this topic -

According to links the amount you have to legally declare has been reduced to $15k from the previous 20k. There is no legal maximum if you declare it. From the link -

https://www.bot.or.th/English/FinancialMarkets/ForeignExchangeRegulations/FXRegulation/Pages/default.aspx

Any person bringing into or taking out of Thailand Thai baht bank notes, foreign currency bank notes or negotiable monetary instruments in an aggregate amount exceeding 450,000 Baht or USD 15,000 or its equivalent must declare to a customs officer.

12 hours ago, Cat ji said:

So, that would probably be 2 or 3 trips to bring in the required 800,000 baht [for the bank account funds for the retirement visa.]  Depending on the rules of the country you're moving it from.

1 trip not 2 or 3, most countries just require a declaration for larger amounts they don't prohibit them.

You declare it to customs control not immigration. And the reason and benefit is that it is the law and breaking the law can lead to the cash being confiscated.

On 12/23/2018 at 5:39 PM, topt said:

See this topic -

According to links the amount you have to legally declare has been reduced to $15k from the previous 20k. There is no legal maximum if you declare it. From the link -

https://www.bot.or.th/English/FinancialMarkets/ForeignExchangeRegulations/FXRegulation/Pages/default.aspx

Thanks.  So that would mean carrying cash 3 trips - maybe 3x the risk of Sod's Law.

On 12/24/2018 at 4:43 AM, sometimewoodworker said:

1 trip not 2 or 3, most countries just require a declaration for larger amounts they don't prohibit them.

You declare it to customs control not immigration. And the reason and benefit is that it is the law and breaking the law can lead to the cash being confiscated.

Let's get this straight: I am not asking questions with the idea of breaking any laws. That is obvious enough.

12 hours ago, Cat ji said:

Let's get this straight: I am not asking questions with the idea of breaking any laws. That is obvious enough.

You specifically asked what was the benefit of declaring it. The answer I gave covered the point that if you don't you will be breaking the law.

• 2 months later...

Today 26 March 2019 I transferred a substantial sum out of Ting Tong Land via Bangkok Bank.

I printed out my documentation to prove I had at some time brought the money in, this was not needed. I had to complete one form stating amount to be transferred, my details, recipient details and tick one of four boxes at the bottom relating to what the transfer was for, I ticked education. Not required to show my passport, bank book or card, no copies of any documentation required. I was advised as long as I had sufficient funds there is no problem.
Signed the form and out in 5 minutes.

Surely you had to produce ID.
However, substantial amount, the maximum that can be transferred out of the country without authorisation by the govt. revenue service could be something like the equivalent of 10,000 GBP.

14 hours ago, Cat ji said:

Surely you had to produce ID.
However, substantial amount, the maximum that can be transferred out of the country without authorisation by the govt. revenue service could be something like the equivalent of 10,000 GBP.

Remitting amounts over USD 50,000 (or the equivalent) attract more scrutiny from the Bank of Thailand.

• 1 month later...
On 6/25/2018 at 6:54 AM, flexomike said:

I got stopped by the cash dogs, leaving the US, they sniff the money, had a little over allowed, make me fill in a form and gave me the riot act about how I could get kicked off the flight and even put in jail, a real <deleted>

those dogs dont miss a beat.  go right for your groin.  u were lucky as hell . how much over the 10k were you?  a couple of hundred?  what excuse you give?  my guess is the money police take this serious and they let you go?  

Archived