Xiaomi Redmi Note-5/5 Pro

dddave

Using a minor and totally nonfunctional screen crack as an excuse, I ordered a new Xiaomi Redmi Note-5 Pro to replace my Redmi Note-4.

Lazada had the "Pro" upgraded model listed for almost the same price as the regular Note-5.

What was delivered to me 2 days after ordering was a regular Note-5; not the "Pro"

Called Lazada.  They offered a full refund but I asked them to contact the seller and determine if it was a shipping error or a listing error.

Lazada got back to me within 3 hours...unfortunately a listing error.  I decided to keep the Note-5 as the price was as low as I have seen, including Gearbest which is usually the lowest and I wasn't able to find the "Pro" for sale anywhere else.  

Just be aware, if you order a "Pro", that's not likely to be what you will get.

Unless I am missing something about the Redmi note 5 Pro, I think the local equivalent in Thailand available is the Redmi Note 5 (64GB/4GB). The 6GB model is not sold in Thailand but all the other specs look the same. The phone can be purchase for about 6500 Baht in MBK andin all the Mi stores.

(1 year warranty new service center in all branches nationwide. Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Processor: Snapdragon 636 GPU: Adreno 509 RAM: 3GB / 4GB / 6GB Internal Storage: 32GB / 64GB Connectivity: 3G, 4G VoLTE, 2.4 GHz / 5 GHz Wi-Fi 802.11 Bluetooth, 5.0, GPS, AGPS, Beidou, GLONASS 3.5 mm headphone jack, support for two SIM cards Hybrid SIM Micro USB port Fingerprint scanner Back camera: Dual Camera First lens 12MP resolution The 1.4 megapixel f / 1.9 aperture f / 1.9 lens is a 5MP internal lens. Deep and System Dual auto focus, EIS, HDR, Burst Mode, Panorama Mode supports video recording FullHD resolution with a 720p front camera Slow-Motion. 13MP resolution with LED flash with Pre-HDR to detect light automatically. And adjust the lighting conditions. FullHD video recording capability Battery: 4,000mAh resolution for fast charging 5V / 2A)

On 6/26/2018 at 10:18 AM, userabcd said:

Unless I am missing something about the Redmi note 5 Pro, I think the local equivalent in Thailand available is the Redmi Note 5 (64GB/4GB). The 6GB model is not sold in Thailand but all the other specs look the same. The phone can be purchase for about 6500 Baht in MBK andin all the Mi stores.

(1 year warranty new service center in all branches nationwide. Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Processor: Snapdragon 636 GPU: Adreno 509 RAM: 3GB / 4GB / 6GB Internal Storage: 32GB / 64GB Connectivity: 3G, 4G VoLTE, 2.4 GHz / 5 GHz Wi-Fi 802.11 Bluetooth, 5.0, GPS, AGPS, Beidou, GLONASS 3.5 mm headphone jack, support for two SIM cards Hybrid SIM Micro USB port Fingerprint scanner Back camera: Dual Camera First lens 12MP resolution The 1.4 megapixel f / 1.9 aperture f / 1.9 lens is a 5MP internal lens. Deep and System Dual auto focus, EIS, HDR, Burst Mode, Panorama Mode supports video recording FullHD resolution with a 720p front camera Slow-Motion. 13MP resolution with LED flash with Pre-HDR to detect light automatically. And adjust the lighting conditions. FullHD video recording capability Battery: 4,000mAh resolution for fast charging 5V / 2A)

Xiaomi really has made a muddle of it's model designations and this is a perfect case.  The seller on Lazada did confirm that what they shipped was a Xiaomi Redmi Note-5, not the Redmi Note-5 PRO. "About Phone" in settings names it as a Redmi Note-5. 

However, reviewing the specs of the phone I received confuses the issue more.  I ran CPU-Z and that told me the processor is a Snapdragon 636, specified for the "Pro", not the Snapdragon 625 listed on most Note-5 spec sheets.  Mine is the 4/64 model and most other specs do match the Note-5. It does not have facial recognition which the Note-5 Pro supposedly includes

So easy for shoppers to confuse all these models: Redmi Note 4, Note 4A, Note-4 X. Redmi-4, Redmi-5, Redmi-5A, Redmi Note-5, Redmi Note-Pro....ect, ect.

One related frustration I discovered concerning Google Play Store.  One can now download only one ap at a time.  This makes populating a new phone with aps a much more time consuming process than before.  You constantly get "Download Pending". 

This can also occur when you are trying to download an ap and your phone is in the process of updating an ap already on the phone. Again, "Download Pending"

Xiaomi model names are confusing.

Models available in Thailand are:

Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (Redmi 5 Plus) - In Thailand they retail the Redmi Note 5 as the Redmi 5 Plus in 32/3GB and 64/4GB models. This has the QC625 processor.

Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro is retailed in Thailand as the Redmi Note 5 in a 32/3GB and 64/4GB. This has the QC636 processor.

I thought downloads from google play store only download and /or update one at a time whilst the other downloads are pending until one is finished. This happens on my Xiaomi Mi A1 and on some other Samsung phones I have owned.

From what I read, facial recognition to which you refer is available on the Redmi 5 Plus.

Generally to get clarification on specs I use GSmarena before buying a phone.

On 6/27/2018 at 2:00 PM, userabcd said:

Xiaomi model names are confusing.

Models available in Thailand are:

Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (Redmi 5 Plus) - In Thailand they retail the Redmi Note 5 as the Redmi 5 Plus in 32/3GB and 64/4GB models. This has the QC625 processor.

Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro is retailed in Thailand as the Redmi Note 5 in a 32/3GB and 64/4GB. This has the QC636 processor.

I thought downloads from google play store only download and /or update one at a time whilst the other downloads are pending until one is finished. This happens on my Xiaomi Mi A1 and on some other Samsung phones I have owned.

From what I read, facial recognition to which you refer is available on the Redmi 5 Plus.

Generally to get clarification on specs I use GSmarena before buying a phone.

Wondering why these giant companies always have some idiots who take so bad decisions as these names ?

And anybody who bought his Xiaomi phone from Lazada has check authenticity with this application ?

https://jd.mi.com/?lang=en_US

Thanks.

After 10 days of use, I am very satisfied with the Xioami Redmi Note-5 I received from Lazada, despite all the model confusion discussed earlier in this thread.

I can't think of a single complaint with the phones operation.  Aps load quickly, pages scroll smoothly, YT videos play without stutter or pause and photos display nicely with sharp colors.  The image stabilization shooting 1080p video works amazingly well,  just about as well as many expensive gimbles I've seen demonstrated.  

Call quality is fine, people on the receiving end also  report loud and clear voice quality. The single speaker works about as well as you'd expect. 

While the phone is a tad longer and wider than my Redmi Note-4, it doesn't feel at all awkward in hand though I haven't tried one handed texting.  The extra  display size is very noticeable to me; much easier to read email, news and magazine text.  

Battery life seems good for a full day of fairly steady use though I don't tax it playing games.  Usually about 30 to 40% battery remains by the time I turn in.

Fingerprint scanner is fast and reliable.  I don't miss the face recognition as I don't think I'd have used it anyway.

All in all, a great phone for around US$200. 

10 hours ago, dddave said:

After 10 days of use, I am very satisfied with the Xioami Redmi Note-5 I received from Lazada, despite all the model confusion discussed earlier in this thread.

I can't think of a single complaint with the phones operation.  Aps load quickly, pages scroll smoothly, YT videos play without stutter or pause and photos display nicely with sharp colors.  The image stabilization shooting 1080p video works amazingly well,  just about as well as many expensive gimbles I've seen demonstrated.  

Call quality is fine, people on the receiving end also  report loud and clear voice quality. The single speaker works about as well as you'd expect. 

While the phone is a tad longer and wider than my Redmi Note-4, it doesn't feel at all awkward in hand though I haven't tried one handed texting.  The extra  display size is very noticeable to me; much easier to read email, news and magazine text.  

Battery life seems good for a full day of fairly steady use though I don't tax it playing games.  Usually about 30 to 40% battery remains by the time I turn in.

Fingerprint scanner is fast and reliable.  I don't miss the face recognition as I don't think I'd have used it anyway.

All in all, a great phone for around US$200. 

Thank you for the report.

What about the UI ? I like Android one phones stock android  without added $hit and hate Samsung phones full of $hitwares.

Can you compare MIUI with Samsung UI ?

14 hours ago, gaff said:

What about the UI ? I like Android one phones stock android  without added $hit and hate Samsung phones full of $hitwares.

Can you compare MIUI with Samsung UI ?

This is my third Xiaomi phone so I've really gotten accustomed to the MIUI skin. (MIUI 9.5, Android 8.1) thus, I'm not totally unbiased. I've also had little experience with the Samsung skin since the truly awful early days of "TouchWiz".

I quickly deleted bloatware I don't use though I do find a few native MIUI aps actually useful.

MIUI just seems seamless to me.  Quick access to whatever it is I want.  Though I think stock Android as a concept is pretty cool, I can't see how in everyday use it would enhance my experience from what it is now.  I checked the 1A out but liked the features of the Note-5 more.

16 minutes ago, Polaky said:

what's the difference between the Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (4 / 64GB) Pro Series A , and Series C?, talk about confusing.

Where did you see Xiaomi phones series A and series C?

AFAIK there are Redmi series (budget brand) and mi series (mid to high range brand)

These brand categories can be seen on Xiaomi website.

2 minutes ago, userabcd said:

Where did you see Xiaomi phones series A and series C?

AFAIK there are Redmi series (budget brand) and mi series (mid to high range brand)

These brand categories can be seen on Xiaomi website.

They are on the Lazada site, with a price difference.

13 hours ago, userabcd said:

OK, to me it looks like the vendor categorising the different models and specs to distinguish the difference between the products.

Although it's not clear i think the "A" designator refers to China, and "C" a country of unknown origin, perhaps "C" is in fact global rom, can't be sure, I would call them and ask but do not know a word of thai.

Archived