BANGKOK
daocat555

Affordable Smartphone Recomendations

14 hours ago, jvs said:

Maybe a little off topic but i was in Bangkok earlier this week and was approached by someone who had a big bag of phones.

I told her i did not need one but she started to show me some.

she handed me a Samsung s9plus and asked me how much i would be willing to pay.

To make a long story short i offered her money and she said ok.

Now i have a (copy) phone and so far ot all seems to work fine.Camera is not great but not bad for the money.

I was not going to buy it but i guess i offered too much lol.

Any ideas on this?

Download the app "CPU-Z" on Play Store. It will tell you what the true components are and how much RAM and memory it actually has.  I once bought a copy Galaxy S3.  It looked perfect but once i installed a few app's, It didn't run well at all.  Turned out to have phony Android and very little RAM or memory.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2019 at 4:29 AM, dddave said:

Download the app "CPU-Z" on Play Store. It will tell you what the true components are and how much RAM and memory it actually has.  I once bought a copy Galaxy S3.  It looked perfect but once i installed a few app's, It didn't run well at all.  Turned out to have phony Android and very little RAM or memory.

Yes, and even if the ram is true size there are different speeds. Cheaper ram could slow a system down.

The best test is to pack a phone full of apps and multitask the hell out of it for a week. This is where most cheapies will fail. But if your a light user it doesn't matter so much. Go for what looks cool to you.

Post removed.

Please do not make identical posts across topics.

I had a Realme 3 Pro which i bought after my Meizu 16th got water damage and blew out the screen.  Yes I am a bit of a Meizy fanboy so i was searching for a 2,000 - 4,000 phone on Lazada for my new lady friend, and I was pretty much going to get her the Realme C2 for 3,564 baht when i saw Lazada selling the Meizu X8 for 4,990 baht.

I bought it.  I will keep the Meizu X8 and my gf can get my Realme 3 Pro which is a lot of phone.  AliExpress is selling the Meizu 16s global for a nice price but too much for me right now and the Chinese version of the 16s Pro.  The Meizu 16s was 11,000 baht at an online Thai seller reportedly and got sold out.  If it ever hits Lazada (some Meizu's do and some Meizu's don't) I will probable post about it.  Meizu has kind of fallen on hard times, perhaps, however I consider them to sell high quality phones.

I need a sub 3000b phone with the brightest screen possible to act as a dedicated unit for video. It needs to run one app and connect wirelessly. USB c preferred. I will hunt one down at mbk I don't do online. Thoughts? Or go with used....

5 hours ago, tampasailor said:

lOOKING FOR USED ANDROID SMARTPHONE IN PAI. OLDER SAMSUNG PREFERRED. WHO IS A GOOD CARRIER FOR PAI AREA WITH DATA?

Not shouting might help.

I went to a large 7-11 today to check out their in-store mobile deals.  It appears that they offer the Vivo Y91 for 1,560 baht and the OPPO A5s for 1,990 baht or with a True SIM card for 2,160 baht or 2,390 baht.  And a Huawei Y5 for 990 baht.

I checked out the VIVO and the OPPO and I think the OPPO A5s may be the best affordable mobile at my 7-11.  It is not a hardware powerhouse but seems to have workable specs.  The achilles heel, IMO, of OPPO phones in this price range historically tend to be a single, not very loud, down firing speaker, and i don't know if any of these phones have a headphone jack.  Maybe some other poster's can provide more info.

16 hours ago, daocat555 said:
I went to a large 7-11 today to check out their in-store mobile deals.  It appears that they offer the Vivo Y91 for 1,560 baht and the OPPO A5s for 1,990 baht or with a True SIM card for 2,160 baht or 2,390 baht.  And a Huawei Y5 for 990 baht.

I checked out the VIVO and the OPPO and I think the OPPO A5s may be the best affordable mobile at my 7-11.  It is not a hardware powerhouse but seems to have workable specs.  The achilles heel, IMO, of OPPO phones in this price range historically tend to be a single, not very loud, down firing speaker, and i don't know if any of these phones have a headphone jack.  Maybe some other poster's can provide more info.

I think you will find that low 7-11 price for the Oppo A-5 is conditional on signing a year long, postpaid D-TAC service contract.

On 11/20/2019 at 12:43 PM, Nyezhov said:

I need a sub 3000b phone with the brightest screen possible to act as a dedicated unit for video. It needs to run one app and connect wirelessly. USB c preferred. I will hunt one down at mbk I don't do online. Thoughts? Or go with used....

Fortune Tower is usually better than MBK for quality/price.  There is a Xiaomi store on the lower MRT level of the Grand Rama-9 Mall opposite Fortune (Rama-9 MRT) they sell several Xiaomi phones (Redmi 7A, 8A in your price range.  Very decent quality for the money.  I recently bought a Redmi 8 for a family member and it is pretty impressive for the price.  Has type "C" port. (Note: NOT the Redmi Note 8 )  On Lazada, Redmi 8A B3400, 7A B2400 (smaller display, not USB-C)

Edited by dddave

11 minutes ago, dddave said:

Fortune Tower is usually better than MBK for quality/price.  There is a Xiaomi store on the lower MRT level of the Grand Rama-9 Mall opposite Fortune (Rama-9 MRT) they sell several Xiaomi phones (Redmi 7A, 8A in your price range.  Very decent quality for the money.  I recently bought a Redmi 8 for a family member and it is pretty impressive for the price.  Has type "C" port. (Note: NOT the Redmi Note 8 )  On Lazada, Redmi 8A B3400, 7A B2400 (smaller display, not USB-C)

fortune tower/mall every time, i'd never buy anything from mbk, it's where all the tourists who dont know better go, and, boy do the vendors know it!

12 minutes ago, dddave said:

Fortune Tower is usually better than MBK for quality/price.  There is a Xiaomi store on the lower MRT level of the Grand Rama-9 Mall opposite Fortune (Rama-9 MRT) they sell several Xiaomi phones (Redmi 7A, 8A in your price range.  Very decent quality for the money.  I recently bought a Redmi 8A for a family member and it is pretty impressive for the price.  Has type "C" port. (Note: NOT the Redmi Note 8 )  On Lazada, Redmi 8A B3400, 7A B2400 (smaller display, not USB-C)

That's what I'm talking about, and 8A. Is it bright at is the screen nicely visible in daylight? How is the level of bloatware?