BANGKOK
daocat555

Affordable Smartphone Recomendations

Since my last post achieved simplifying things (I worked from a fixed choice of 2 phones) let me now try to complicate.  Consider the Meizu Note 9 vs the Moto G7 Power and suddenly the Moto doesn't look so cost effective.  Meizu has poor penetration at places like MBK but it is available at Lazada for 5,449 baht at LazMall which I consider to be the best store at Lazada.

The improvement in camera and screen-to-body ratio is immense for an extra 449 baht.  48 MP camera vs 12.56.  An antutu score of 213,000 vs 108,000.  And yada,yada,yada, the improvements go on and on.

And in the 5,449 - 7,449 baht range that is where the companies really strive to compete because this is the price range where people buy phones.  Big Companies like Xiaomi and Asus  have very competitive phones in this range.

The Moto was released in February of 2019, and since then other phones with better specs in all but battery (ok and speaker volume) have become available.
  • Thanks 1

I've had the Moto G7 Power for about 6 months and I'm still happy with it. I use it a lot during the day and the battery still lasts the day, if I'm heading out in the evening i do top it up to be sure.

The only negative is the volume, if you lay it on it's screen you can't hear it, with my Samsung that wasn't an issue as the speaker was at the side. It's not a deal-breaker but mildly annoying when you forget.

Also worth noting the charger is the USB C, so any older type chargers you have can't be used unless you have an adapter. USB C is much fast charging than traditional type

• Like 2

On 11/17/2019 at 5:23 AM, daocat555 said:

I had a Realme 3 Pro which i bought after my Meizu 16th got water damage and blew out the screen.  Yes I am a bit of a Meizy fanboy so i was searching for a 2,000 - 4,000 phone on Lazada for my new lady friend, and I was pretty much going to get her the Realme C2 for 3,564 baht when i saw Lazada selling the Meizu X8 for 4,990 baht.

I bought it.  I will keep the Meizu X8 and my gf can get my Realme 3 Pro which is a lot of phone.  AliExpress is selling the Meizu 16s global for a nice price but too much for me right now and the Chinese version of the 16s Pro.  The Meizu 16s was 11,000 baht at an online Thai seller reportedly and got sold out.  If it ever hits Lazada (some Meizu's do and some Meizu's don't) I will probable post about it.  Meizu has kind of fallen on hard times, perhaps, however I consider them to sell high quality phones.

I am happy with the Meizu 16th I picked up last year. OK, the flyme OS is a little funky, and Meizu is getting hammered for lack of software updates for the global versions of their phones, but it's not a big issue for me.

Lazada was selling it for 7,999 baht during the 11/11 sale, as well as great price on the Meizu X9, as you noted and took advantage of.

And the top-of-the-line Meizu 16s can be had online for the price of the 16th a year ago, incredible.

On the updates issue, I did receive their last flyme update (7.3.0G), got it OTA which was smooth. Meizu is saying the 16th global version should receive the flyme 8 update based on android 9, already out for the CN version of the phone, before the end of the year.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

Came across

X One Phone

any good?

Some info on Google. Sorry but pretty much a dog, 5 year old specs  2gb Ram, 16 memory, 720P , 5.3" display. Low end Mediatech 6739 processor at 1.3gHz which is pretty slow.  3450 mAh battery which is not much by today's standards, especially with a Mediatech processor which are poorly optimized for battery usage Cameras are low end, ok in normal outside light but not much else.

This would have been a middle of the road phone 5 years ago but today's apps demand a lot more memory so you'd be very restricted as to what would run.  Basically ok for calls and text messaging but not much more.  Facebook and other  pages will load slowly and be jumpy as ad pages load.  You Tube will buffer often.  For nearly the same price there are many up to date bargain phones, the Xiaomi Redmi 7 and Redmi 8, The Realmi 3, a few Oppo's and Vivo's, all under B4000.

If you want a truly excellent phone for under B5000, Lazada is selling the Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 for B4999. Difficult to do better at twice the price.

41 minutes ago, dddave said:

Some info on Google. Sorry but pretty much a dog, 5 year old specs  2gb Ram, 16 memory, 720P , 5.3" display. Low end Mediatech 6739 processor at 1.3gHz which is pretty slow.  3450 mAh battery which is not much by today's standards, especially with a Mediatech processor which are poorly optimized for battery usage Cameras are low end, ok in normal outside light but not much else.

This would have been a middle of the road phone 5 years ago but today's apps demand a lot more memory so you'd be very restricted as to what would run.  Basically ok for calls and text messaging but not much more.  Facebook and other  pages will load slowly and be jumpy as ad pages load.  You Tube will buffer often.  For nearly the same price there are many up to date bargain phones, the Xiaomi Redmi 7 and Redmi 8, The Realmi 3, a few Oppo's and Vivo's, all under B4000.

If you want a truly excellent phone for under B5000, Lazada is selling the Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 for B4999. Difficult to do better at twice the price.

OK, thanks a heap

you would LOL if you saw how that phone is pushed in Norway

10 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

OK, thanks a heap

you would LOL if you saw how that phone is pushed in Norway

I clearly remember paying $25 for breakfast in Oslo 5 years ago...I can't imagine what a simple phone must cost there.

A friend who lives in Norway bought a Harley-Davidson motorcycle, the cheapest 800 CC Sportster model...cost him $70,000 by the time he got it on the road.   Sheesh!!

1 hour ago, dddave said:

I clearly remember paying $25 for breakfast in Oslo 5 years ago...I can't imagine what a simple phone must cost there.

A friend who lives in Norway bought a Harley-Davidson motorcycle, the cheapest 800 CC Sportster model...cost him $70,000 by the time he got it on the road.   Sheesh!!

high cost place

you would struggle to find an android phone for less than 6500 baht I would guess

So many nice Realme phones; this Realme 5 is 4,599 baht at Lazada.

On 11/27/2019 at 2:27 AM, daocat555 said:
So many nice Realme phones; this Realme 5 is 4,599 baht at Lazada.

Thanks - can you tell me what is the difference between a "hybrd dual sim" and just a "dual sim" - since they all say Nano in brackets anyway?

18 hours ago, topt said:

Thanks - can you tell me what is the difference between a "hybrd dual sim" and just a "dual sim" - since they all say Nano in brackets anyway?

A "hybred" dual SIM is when the phone user has the option of installing either 2 nano SIMs or one nano SIM and one micro SD memory card.  Dual SIM is just that, it will take two nano SIMs. Some phones will also take a SD card as well, some don't.

• Thanks 2