Affordable Smartphone Recomendations

daocat555

What I don't understand is why new phones don't include ALL the practical features. 

MHL ie cable to tv hookup.

Wireless charging.

IR blaster

Compact option,

Dual sim

to name a few.

Always one or more missing.

One day there will be the perfect practical phone.

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would the Meizu 16 x have a better camera compared to say the Samsung j5 or j6?Camera is my main concern,battery life second and sound comes in last.If i get 3 phonecalls a week it is a busy week.

Pocophone sounds nice but is double the price of the Meizu?

Jvs; I recommend you put the Samsung J5 out of your mind, it's an outdated model with a weak camera and generally poor specifications. The Samsung J6 is my most recommended phone in the 4,800 baht range. It's a nice all arounder and Lazada sells it at a great price. However the camera is weak at 7.99 MP front and 12.78 MP rear with EIS not OIS (OIS is much better). So far the Meizu 16X has been disappointing in that it might not have OIS and its price right now is higher than the price of the Pocophone even though it has a lower list price the sellers are selling it at a higher price than the list price while Lazada is discounting the Pocophone (down to 10,490 baht yesterday from 10,990 baht the day before).  And the camera is a relatively weak feature of the Pocophone with no OIS and the general consensus is that it takes very good shots in strong light and somewhat poor shots in weak light.

I have asked this question to myself many times, what phone has the best camera for X,XXX baht?.  If thats for a 10,000 baht phone, to me the answer is the Meizu 15, which I am not unbiased toward as that is my so called daily driver.  It means buying from an International seller such as Aliexpress, and here is the link to the store on aliexpress where I bought mine and it's currently slightly below 10,000 baht in black or slightly above 10,000 baht in blue or white.

I should say that the site which I consider the gold standard review site, gsmarena, had some issues with the camera on the Meizu 15 complaining of poor white balance at times and too much noise, although other review sites had high praise for the camera particularly the shots taken at night or in low light conditions.  White balance and noise are software issues which hopefully Meizu has resolved on the Meizu 16th, but that is currently an expensive phone yet to be extensively reviewed.

My current intention is to buy the Pixel 3 when it becomes available (it will be announced October 9'th), so if you are near Jomtien I would consider selling you my used (since May 2018) Meizu 15.  I also have in my room a new Samsung J6 which I bought for my housekeeper's daughter but my housekeeper then took a prolonged vacation with no word on when she will return.  I have a Xiaomi 6A which seemed to have the "perfect minimum" specifications but inexplicable Xiaomi put the single speaker to fire out the back of the phone, so that phone is not on my happy camper list.  And I have a new Cubot Nova which I bought for $79.19 from Aliexpress on a flash sale and I consider that to be a very strong "minimum" phone and the single down firing speaker is clear and loud enough.

I am a complete failure at selling phones as I had the notion that I would sell these phones to workers in my complex but they do not seem interested in ponying up what I would consider to be the minimum token amount to buy these phones from me.  Oh, and I have a Umidigi One Pro which is a good example of great specifications and poor phone.  It has poor build quality and I am going to sell that one also but at least I think I can use the wireless charger to charge the Pixel 3.  I would sell you the Umidigi for a song jvs.

I do expect my housekeeper to return and before she left she told me that she could give me 2,000 baht towards a phone for her daughter, so I am saving the Samsung J6, in purple, which I bought at Lazada for 4,860 baht, for her.  One of these days I will put the Umidigi One Pro, the Cubot Nova, and the Xiaomi 6A in a bag and try my luck at the small phone shop near me in Jomtien, and try Tukcom Plaza if my local shop is not interested.

It would be nice to find a local Shop which I can sell phones to, so if I do buy the Pixel 3, and if it is better than my Meizu 15, I could then sell my Meizu 15.  I think I buy phones better than I sell them, so far, and with the Xiaomi 6A and the Umidigi One Pro I didn't do a very good job of buying them either.  But, hey, my big investment, the Meizu 15 has worked out very well for me, so I haven't completely stuck out.  I got photos with it which I posted on my facebook page and they look nice to me, and as I have mentioned the audio output is loud and clear and the body is light and compact.  The Pixel 3 should be equally light with an even smaller body and although Pixel likes a single rear camera as opposed to Meizu's dual 12 MP and 20 MP set up most people praise the camera on the Pixel 2.

Yesterday Samsung announced the Galaxy A7 (2018) with a triple rear camera, no great surprise as the Huawei flagship P20 Pro with a triple rear camera is one reason why Huawei seized a lot of market share from Samsung this year.  It may take some time (my guess is 2 months) for the Samsung to get to Lazada, but with Lazada's track record of getting Samsung models quickly and selling them at a great price (case in point the Galaxy Note 9) it might be worthwhile to see what the price on the A7 will be.

If anybody is near Jomtien feel free to make me an offer on a Xiaomi 6A, a Cubot Nova, or a Umidigi One Pro, or start negotiations on a used Meizu 15.

20 minutes ago, daocat555 said:
Jvs; I recommend you put the Samsung J5 out of your mind, it's an outdated model with a weak camera and generally poor specifications. The Samsung J6 is my most recommended phone in the 4,800 baht range. It's a nice all arounder and Lazada sells it at a great price. However the camera is weak at 7.99 MP front and 12.78 MP rear with EIS not OIS (OIS is much better). So far the Meizu 16X has been disappointing in that it might not have OIS and its price right now is higher than the price of the Pocophone even though it has a lower list price the sellers are selling it at a higher price than the list price while Lazada is discounting the Pocophone (down to 10,490 baht yesterday from 10,990 baht the day before).  And the camera is a relatively weak feature of the Pocophone with no OIS and the general consensus is that it takes very good shots in strong light and somewhat poor shots in weak light.

I have asked this question to myself many times, what phone has the best camera for X,XXX baht?.  If thats for a 10,000 baht phone, to me the answer is the Meizu 15, which I am not unbiased toward as that is my so called daily driver.  It means buying from an International seller such as Aliexpress, and here is the link to the store on aliexpress where I bought mine and it's currently slightly below 10,000 baht in black or slightly above 10,000 baht in blue or white.

I should say that the site which I consider the gold standard review site, gsmarena, had some issues with the camera on the Meizu 15 complaining of poor white balance at times and too much noise, although other review sites had high praise for the camera particularly the shots taken at night or in low light conditions.  White balance and noise are software issues which hopefully Meizu has resolved on the Meizu 16th, but that is currently an expensive phone yet to be extensively reviewed.

My current intention is to buy the Pixel 3 when it becomes available (it will be announced October 9'th), so if you are near Jomtien I would consider selling you my used (since May 2018) Meizu 15.  I also have in my room a new Samsung J6 which I bought for my housekeeper's daughter but my housekeeper then took a prolonged vacation with no word on when she will return.  I have a Xiaomi 6A which seemed to have the "perfect minimum" specifications but inexplicable Xiaomi put the single speaker to fire out the back of the phone, so that phone is not on my happy camper list.  And I have a new Cubot Nova which I bought for $79.19 from Aliexpress on a flash sale and I consider that to be a very strong "minimum" phone and the single down firing speaker is clear and loud enough.

I am a complete failure at selling phones as I had the notion that I would sell these phones to workers in my complex but they do not seem interested in ponying up what I would consider to be the minimum token amount to buy these phones from me.  Oh, and I have a Umidigi One Pro which is a good example of great specifications and poor phone.  It has poor build quality and I am going to sell that one also but at least I think I can use the wireless charger to charge the Pixel 3.  I would sell you the Umidigi for a song jvs.

I do expect my housekeeper to return and before she left she told me that she could give me 2,000 baht towards a phone for her daughter, so I am saving the Samsung J6, in purple, which I bought at Lazada for 4,860 baht, for her.  One of these days I will put the Umidigi One Pro, the Cubot Nova, and the Xiaomi 6A in a bag and try my luck at the small phone shop near me in Jomtien, and try Tukcom Plaza if my local shop is not interested.

It would be nice to find a local Shop which I can sell phones to, so if I do buy the Pixel 3, and if it is better than my Meizu 15, I could then sell my Meizu 15.  I think I buy phones better than I sell them, so far, and with the Xiaomi 6A and the Umidigi One Pro I didn't do a very good job of buying them either.  But, hey, my big investment, the Meizu 15 has worked out very well for me, so I haven't completely stuck out.  I got photos with it which I posted on my facebook page and they look nice to me, and as I have mentioned the audio output is loud and clear and the body is light and compact.  The Pixel 3 should be equally light with an even smaller body and although Pixel likes a single rear camera as opposed to Meizu's dual 12 MP and 20 MP set up most people praise the camera on the Pixel 2.

Yesterday Samsung announced the Galaxy A7 (2018) with a triple rear camera, no great surprise as the Huawei flagship P20 Pro with a triple rear camera is one reason why Huawei seized a lot of market share from Samsung this year.  It may take some time (my guess is 2 months) for the Samsung to get to Lazada, but with Lazada's track record of getting Samsung models quickly and selling them at a great price (case in point the Galaxy Note 9) it might be worthwhile to see what the price on the A7 will be.

If anybody is near Jomtien feel free to make me an offer on a Xiaomi 6A, a Cubot Nova, or a Umidigi One Pro, or start negotiations on a used Meizu 15.

I also have a pile of old phones lying around  I'm too lazy to sell

Some work fine but too slow or need a new battery, others would only be good for spare parts etc but they're mostly high end  (Samsung  galaxy notes or S models etc) so even the spares would probably be worth something to a repair guy

I find Phones are a LOT easier to buy then sell on... ? 

There's a guy on Craigslist who buys and fixes them but I have never bothered to go and meet him... 

On 9/20/2018 at 5:39 AM, stud858 said:

What I don't understand is why new phones don't include ALL the practical features. 

MHL ie cable to tv hookup.

Wireless charging.

IR blaster

Compact option,

Dual sim

to name a few.

Always one or more missing.

One day there will be the perfect practical phone.

Mostly cost but some engineering tradeoffs mean you can't cram everything  into 1 phone even if you had unlimited budget 

Industry leaders like Samsung and apple set the trends

slim and sexy looking  phones  are what's selling so batteries are in the 3000-4000MaH range and glass backs are on most hi end devices

personally I wouldn't mind having a 10,000MaH  option with flagship specs...... Even if it made the phone a few mm thicker 

Would also prefer they didn't put  glass on the back as one drop usually shatters it 

A textured Polycarbonate would be cheaper and more durable and less slippery (but god forbid people might say it's ugly lol) 

The daocat phone would be textured polycarbonate with a polycarbonate frame as in the Pocophone.  It would be less than 68 mm in width, 8 mm in depth, about 140 mm tall, and would weigh less than 160 grams.  It would have, oh, maybe 4 speakers, with 2 of them at the earpiece because my habit it to hold the phone to my ear when I talk on the phone.  It would have wireless charging, NFC, IP67 rating, and at least a 4000 mAh battery up to say 5000 mAh as that is more than enough for me for 2 days if I forget to charge it on any given day.

The screen would be super bright AMOLED and would be about 5.4 in diagonally with a 16:9 aspect ratio (retro) not 2:1. 

The Pixel 3 may be 68.2 mm wide and 145.6 mm tall and might be 7.9 mm in depth.  It is expected to have IP68 rating and NFC and most rumor sites says it will support wireless charging although some rumor sites that will be available on the Pixel 3 XL but not the Pixel 3.

The Pixel 3 may have a 5.4 in AMOLED screen and about a 3000 mAh battery, with the width of the screen expected to be about 61.34 mm so Google could stand to imitate the thin side bezels on the high end Meizus.

The weight of the Pixel 3 is expected to be less than 160 grams.  The daocat phone would have a selfie camera with face recognition and autofocus and I won't worry about the number of pixels.  The rear camera would be triple lens like the Huawei P20 Pro with OIS and 3x Optical zoom and optical wide angle.  Throw my favorite CPU in it, the Snapdragon 710, but don't skimp on the GPU.

Any Chinese OEM could manufacture the daocat phone right now with parts and technology available right now and it would be a massive money loser as few people have my taste in phones.  I guess to me that's one thing I admire about the Pocophone; Xiaomi seems to have made the right trade offs with tricking it out.

The closest current phone to my above wishlist is my Meizu 15 (that supposes the iPhone XS is not currently available, it will be soon but it's a bit too big and a lot too expensive).  I'll find out more on October 9'th but the Pixel 3 may out-daocat the Meizu 15.  I hope so.

15 hours ago, daocat555 said:

I am in cha-am ,any idea when you want to sell the Meizu?

I have no idea when I would want to sell my Meizu.  First I have to see what the Google Pixel 3 looks like and it will be announced October 9'th.  Then if I decide to buy the Pixel I will have to see if I can find a seller offering it at a reasonable price.  That could take a while judging from the recently announced Apple iPhone which is currently available on EBAY USA only for a price much higher than the list price.  Since I am happy with my current phone I probably won't be in any hurry to buy the Pixel.  That is if I decide to buy the Pixel at all which might not happen.  I am comfortable buying from any USA site as I use a Shipito USA suite address to buy online in America and then forward the goods to me, so places like Amazon might get the Pixel and I also am comfortable from buying at large International sellers like Aliexpress but there are not many stores at Aliexpress currently selling the Pixel 2 and the price is not very good.  Searching Priceprice.com I find that the Pixel 2 was available at Lazada and 11'th Street at one time but not now and that it is available from EXPANSYS right now at an okay price, so it might also become available from a Thai online seller.

A trip from Cha Am to Jomtien is not a walk in the park.  So I guess you wouldn't want to make such a trip for a heavily discounted Umidigi One Pro (I wouldn't).  Thank you jvs for responding.

The Xiaomi Mi A4 Lite went down a few baht at Aliexpress so it's down to $141.99 (4,596 baht) so it really is cheaper than the 5,990 baht that Lazada is charging for it.  

And all in all I think it is a better phone than the Samsung J6 (2018) which is similarly priced at Lazada.  Meizu has announced the Meizu V8 3/32 for a list price of 3,771 baht, with a nice 5.7 in screen a 3200 mAh battery and a weight of 145 grams.  It is available at TMALL  which says:  "Delivery shop pre-sale ship within 7 days of payment."  Which sounds good if it is true.

TMALL also has the lowest price for the Meizu 15 which I have ever seen, 9,421 baht, as well as having low prices for the Meizu 16th and 16th Plus.

I bought an Xperia z1 compact on eBay with cracked screen. Upon opening it to replace the lcd I noticed it looked different inside. Bigger size battery and different lcd connector.. I thought oh no a fake.

It too me awhile to realize it was actually  a z3 compact. The person described it wrong.

Bonus!

Anyway, it's a good way with some risk.

To make a more expensive phone more afordable buy it broken and fix yourself.

Currently using a repaired z5 compact. 

Anybody going for the new iPhone?

2 hours ago, Ks45672 said:

There is nothing fair about apple prices

And such a boring fruit.

I'd buy a lemon or strawberry over an apple. I was hoping Nokia would come in strong to the smart phone market. But I guess they made their money and became content.

Xiaomi may rise and take over them all.

how about the Xiaomi Mi A2? or is 7100 baht not affordable? at least it might get a few updates. 

the Samsung A7 (2018) will have Android 8.0? that is what my S8+ dual-Sim has had forever. 

I am looking now, and will not buy Samsung again.

the eSIM on Pixel 3 doesn't help since i change countries pretty often. 

The 2 things I don't like about the Xiaomi Mi A2 is its 3000 mAh battery and its poor (for 2018) display area.  Not sure where you could get it for 7100 baht as that is a great price for the model, but you mention in the High End Topic that you change Countries often, and the Mi A2 is very poor at getting USA bands.

The Sony XZ Premium released in June, 2017, to me is a completely outdated and irrelevant phone.  The Xiaomi Mix 2S released April 2018 I would not call completely outdated but I would call it completely irrelevant.  It has a maximum voice output of 68 dB as measured by gsmarena, and its 14,190 price tag from the cheapest seller at Lazada is higher than the better, to me, Pocophone.

But I'm not a total troll, I'm glad you posted because nobody has brought up the Sony  Xperia XZ3 in any topic here, and that upcoming phone, I think, is very interesting.  Here is a link to a great deal on it at Amazon USA.

I double checked this by going to Amazon myself, and the offer is good with free Prime shipping and the product is expected to ship to you October 17'th.  People anywhere can get a suite address at Shipito then have Amazon mail to Shipito and Shipito mail to you in Thailand.

All components on this phone are high end, IP65/IP68 rated, 6 in OLED screen, Corning Gorilla Glass 5, Android Pie out of the box, and stereo speakers to name a few.  I am picky with phone specifications and I have nothing to complain about with this new Sony.  It's not inexpensive, but I think the price is reasonable for what you are getting.  

7 hours ago, daocat555 said:
The Sony XZ Premium released in June, 2017, to me is a completely outdated and irrelevant phone.  The Xiaomi Mix 2S released April 2018 I would not call completely outdated but I would call it completely irrelevant.  It has a maximum voice output of 68 dB as measured by gsmarena, and its 14,190 price tag from the cheapest seller at Lazada is higher than the better, to me, Pocophone.

But I'm not a total troll, I'm glad you posted because nobody has brought up the Sony  Xperia XZ3 in any topic here, and that upcoming phone, I think, is very interesting.  Here is a link to a great deal on it at Amazon USA.

I double checked this by going to Amazon myself, and the offer is good with free Prime shipping and the product is expected to ship to you October 17'th.  People anywhere can get a suite address at Shipito then have Amazon mail to Shipito and Shipito mail to you in Thailand.

All components on this phone are high end, IP65/IP68 rated, 6 in OLED screen, Corning Gorilla Glass 5, Android Pie out of the box, and stereo speakers to name a few.  I am picky with phone specifications and I have nothing to complain about with this new Sony.  It's not inexpensive, but I think the price is reasonable for what you are getting.  

Thanks for the response. I'll sure check out the XZ3. Can't get the Pocophone because of its limited LTE bands.

Thank you for posting about the Samsung Galaxy A6 (2018).  I just checked out the gsmarena review and it was basically favorable except at its list price of 9,159 baht they felt it was not cost efficient.  I particularly liked the 76 dB max voice volume, although the single speaker firing out of the top right of the phone is unusual.  It is near your ear if you are holding the phone to your ear in a call.

So it might appear that 6,400 is a good deal but I don't think that it is.  The phone in 3/32 memory is 5,990 baht at Powerbuy and 5,431 baht at Lazada.  Unless the one you are looking at has more than 3/32 memory you can get it cheaper buying online.  Your seller claiming a deep discount is accurate, it's just that apparently many sellers are offering a deep discount on this model.

Gsmarena also complained that the phone was underpowered.  Kimovil lists its Antutu score at 46,000.  So know what Antutu score you want and you won't be surprised.  I like the model a lot.  It's thin and sleek, and fairly light with a AMOLED screen, and is selling for 5,431 baht at Lazada.

I think the Redmi Note 6 Pro is a whole lotta phone for 6,990 baht.  Audio output is an unknown, but unless you are hard of hearing most Xiaomi Redmi Pro models have good sound, usually through a single down firing speaker.

I don't mind the Snapdragon 636; Kimovil lists the Antutu score as 115,991 in the 3/32 version and the 6,990 baht price at Lazada is for the 4/64 version.

6.26 in screen, reasonable body size and weight with a 4000 mAh battery, I would say a good but not great camera setup.  You may have found your phone jvs.  But LazMall is sold out in every color but black.  Go for the red!  Or the powder blue!  Oh man, I looked at every Lazada seller and only found the black color.  I checked Priceza and Priceprice also with no luck.

My guess is that LazMall will get more colors available within a week.  If it was me I would wait for the red, but that's just me.  It looks like a very nice phone.

25 minutes ago, daocat555 said:
I think the Redmi Note 6 Pro is a whole lotta phone for 6,990 baht.  Audio output is an unknown, but unless you are hard of hearing most Xiaomi Redmi Pro models have good sound, usually through a single down firing speaker.

I don't mind the Snapdragon 636; Kimovil lists the Antutu score as 115,991 in the 3/32 version and the 6,990 baht price at Lazada is for the 4/64 version.

6.26 in screen, reasonable body size and weight with a 4000 mAh battery, I would say a good but not great camera setup.  You may have found your phone jvs.  But LazMall is sold out in every color but black.  Go for the red!  Or the powder blue!  Oh man, I looked at every Lazada seller and only found the black color.  I checked Priceza and Priceprice also with no luck.

My guess is that LazMall will get more colors available within a week.  If it was me I would wait for the red, but that's just me.  It looks like a very nice phone.

Thank you for your opinion,i think the reviews are pretty good and i will start looking where to find one.I will try on facebook first.

What did I say?  One day after jvs found the Redmi 6 Pro at LazMall they got it in the powder blue color.  In black some Lazada stores are throwing in some freebies such as headphones in their 6,990 baht price, and one seller has gone down on the price to 6,799 baht.

For me, I'm still holding out for the red color.  But waiting to see what happens with the price might also be wise as the sellers may try to outdo each others with specials.  

I watched about 5 YouTube unboxing videos on the 6 Pro.  A few reviewers scoffed at its gameplay, which for me is a non issue.  Several reviewers felt the still camera had better images than the Poco, with the Poco having better video (and a 3,600 baht higher price).

Sadly, with the internet sales of mobiles some of the Shops at MBK might do any scam they think they can get away with.  Fake, used, rebuilt, sold as new, etc.  When I first came to Thailand this trip I was anxious to get a mobile quick for not too much money and I bought a Huawei Y7 sold as new from an MBK shop.  When I got the phone home it had like 10 stored personal phone numbers and the weather widget tuned to London weather.  I was jet lagged, didn't want the hassle of going back to the Shop to read them the riot act so I just kept the phone and I was happy to subsequently give it away when I bought my Meizu 15 some time later.  

I buy off the internet now and don't bother with MBK shops which like 8 years ago was my favorite place to buy a mobile.  Not now.

Archived