Affordable Smartphone Recomendations

daocat555

welp, i bought a dumbphone not long ago,

its sitting on charge in my room no matter where i go,

since the piece of shit can barely stay alive on idle for a single day,

and i cant remember or be arsed to charge it all the time.

if i ever bother with a phone again, i want a written guarantee

it will keep up for at least a week without charge,

just like phones did 20 years ago

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes paonoi, I have given you some phones with 10000 mAh batteries previously, but I would suggest something more like a 6000 mAh is more reasonable.  Here are four phones with good battery life, spanning a price range from $121 to $935.99.

The Cubot Power ($184.99) has a 6000 mAh battery with a standby time of 25 days.  The Ulefone Power 3S ($163.99) has a 6350 mAh battery for which they claim (I think they may exaggerate) a standby time of 75 days.  The HomTom S99 ($121) has a 6200 mAh battery, but with its 28nm process technology battery life may not be quite as good as the Cubot or Ulefone.  But my guess is that it will be plenty long enough.  

But why not go for the Huawei Mate 20 Pro?  It can be charged wirelessly and the 4200 mAh battery is likely to last a long time because the CPU and GPU are more energy efficient than any other phone out there.  Why bother to plug a normal phone into the charger every other day when you can spend $935.99 to sit it on the wireless charger less often (wireless charger sold separately)?

Sorry for being a bit sarcastic, but I used to like the Mate 20 Pro (before I read the gsmarena review...but I digress).

My pick of the four phones is the Cubot Power.  It has a fairly small and light form considering the battery size and 6 inch screen.  I have bought, actually two Cubot phones this year from the Cubot Official Store on AliExpress (the J3 and the Nova), and I have been impressed with their build quality.  It has a decent CPU with 6/128 memory, decent camera, and for $184.99 you'd be getting a nice phone with a nice battery.

The Cubot P20 and Cubot X18 Plus are on sale at the Cubot Official Store at Aliexpress.

The Cubot P20 is $127.99 and the Cubot X18 Plus is $125.79.  So for less than 4,300 baht you can get a nice entry level phone.

They have Antutu scores in the 41,000 - 55,000 range, 4/64 of memory, a 5.99 or 6.18 inch screen, decent camera, and a 4000 mAh battery for each.

My preference is the X18 Plus which has the higher Antutu score, a slimmer and lighter body which is plastic instead of aluminum alloy. and is $125.79 before the new user coupon, or 4,186 baht.  Again, I think someone would get a nice entry level phone at that price.

Tested the standby time of the Moto-G6 ,,,
Both WiFi and Bluetooth enabled, GPS disabled.
Duration 48 hours, at the end had 86% battery remaining.
and it said good for 10 days.
Likely better standby if Bluetooth disabled
Don't know what bloatware is running (the Google <deleted>)

Recharging back to 100% took <15 minutes.
I paid USD $225 for the 2 phones from Best-Buy here in Chattanooga.

Paired all my Bluetooth enabled devices easily.

Seem to have a issue with WiFi on both 2.4 and 5 GHz.
Low Rx and Tx compaired to all other devices.
I suspect my WiFi Router config, Asus RT-AC68U ac1900
which is re-branded to T-Mobile
I can't get updates to firmware from either.
Perhaps a new WiFi Router is needed.

11 hours ago, howto said:

Tested the standby time of the Moto-G6 ,,,
Both WiFi and Bluetooth enabled, GPS disabled.
Duration 48 hours, at the end had 86% battery remaining.
and it said good for 10 days.
Likely better standby if Bluetooth disabled
Don't know what bloatware is running (the Google <deleted>)

Recharging back to 100% took <15 minutes.
I paid USD $225 for the 2 phones from Best-Buy here in Chattanooga.

Paired all my Bluetooth enabled devices easily.

Seem to have a issue with WiFi on both 2.4 and 5 GHz.
Low Rx and Tx compaired to all other devices.
I suspect my WiFi Router config, Asus RT-AC68U ac1900
which is re-branded to T-Mobile
I can't get updates to firmware from either.
Perhaps a new WiFi Router is needed.

I was back in the US last month and bought my sister a Motorola G-6. (Mistakenly bought from Amazon...loaded with Amazon bloatware) As you say, good phone all around except we had the same issue with wi-fi so I suspect your router is not at fault. 

I had just installed a new 3 pod Google mesh router array (4 floor brick townhouse w/brick interior walls) and it worked perfectly, strong signal in all areas with other devices.  I'm hoping a firmware update will improve the G-6. It gets enough of a signal to use anywhere in her house but just not as strong as my Xiaomi was registering.

Some weeks ago I reported that I had some phones for sales.

I had a Cubot Nova and a Xiaomi Redmi 6A which I had bought to kind of check out, and then I thought that I would sell them to employees at my complex for a greatly reduced price.  Except nobody seemed to want to pay me what I thought was an acceptable minimum price for them.  So fortunately a TVF reader private messaged me about them, and we struck a deal for those two phones at a price which I think was good for both parties and he came to my complex and bought them from me.

I had an Umidigi One Pro which I had bought as a gift to a friend but then decided that it was not a very good phone and I ended up buying my friend a Poco 6/64 from LazMall.  I had a lost cat and I gave the Umidigi One Pro to the lady who found my lost cat.  So that one is gone.

I still have a Samsung Galaxy J6 which I bought for my housekeeper's daughter.  The deal being that my housekeeper would give me 2,000 baht and I would buy a phone for her daughter.  The problem here is that this was two months ago and my housekeeper then took an extended leave and she has not come back.

So I just now ordered  Meizu 16th from AliExpress.  When that arrives about 3 weeks from now I may want to sell my Meizu 15.  If there has been no word from my ex-housekeeper by then the J6 will also be up for sale.  And I did not give the woman who sold my cat the Umidigi wireless charger (I just gave her the wall charger) so I will also have a wireless charger for sale.  And I also have a Sandisk 64 GB microSD card which I bought for my Meizu 15, except neither the Meizu 15 nor the Meizu 16th will accept a memory card, so that may be up for offer as well.

Just a heads up, I will post again when I know exactly what I will be offering to sell and a price for each.

The Realme 2 Pro is on a limited sale at Lazada for 5,990 baht and it might be even less expensive on Nov 11'th which is a big sale day for Lazada.

For that price it seems to be a fairly well spec'd out phone.

The Realme 2 Pro went on sale at midnight for 5,990 baht in black or ice blue and completely sold out 500 units in the first 15 minutes of the flash sale.

I put the Realme 2 Pro in Icy blue into my shopping cart at Lazada, and decided to think about whether I should buy it or not for a few minutes.  When I decided to buy it it was sold out in Icy blue with 5 units left in black and 3 minutes later it was sold out in black.

To me that's a reflection of the phone savvy buyers from Lazada.  To me the Realme 2 Pro was the definitive best buy of the flash sale, and it seems the buyers agreed with me.  The Lazada list price for the phone is only 6,590 baht, which to me is also a great deal on a nicely spec'd phone, so the flash sale was only a 9% discount (600 baht discount), but buying it ib the first 15 minutes of 11/11 meant you would be getting it this week, and now there is no telling when it will be restocked.  I did a web search last night looking for the Realme 2 Pro for sale on the web and found it no place at all.  FlipKart the huge Indian online retailer sells the unit (for a price a bit higher than the Lazada price) and Flipkart is sold out of the unit.  It also will be available at a higher price in 8/128 memory at some time, which again is a lot of phone with a lot of memory at a good price.

At 10 AM on 11/11 the Realme 2 Pro went back on sale at LazMall and although they again sold out of the blue color it remains available for ordering in the black color.  I think that is a great deal but a poster on the Poco Topic brought to my attention an 11/11 deal which I think is even better than the Realme 2 Pro.  The Meizu 16th is listed for sale in white or black, 6/64 memory, for 11,900 baht which is a really tremendous price if you like the phone model which I do.  Here is the post I made on the Poco and High End Topic about the Meizu 16th.

rwilem, thank you very much and wow,wow,wow.  I didn't think Lazada would ever list the Meizu 16th, and if I had known that it would be 11,990 baht at LazMall that is how I would have bought it.

Searching priceza for the Meizu 16th I get.

And searching Priceprice I get it for 15,426.70 baht at Banggood listed as not in stock but "coming soon".

I never thought to directly search Lazada for the phone as it seems that no new Meizu model has been for sale at Lazada since the Meizu Pro 7 was released in August, 2017.  Darn, I sure wish I had done a search on Lazada before I ordered it from AliExpress.

I ordered it from AliExpress on November 5'th and my total price was 14,103.26 baht.  It has already been shipped so I can not cancel my AliExpress order while it is in transit..  So I paid 2,113.26 baht more than the phone sells for today at LazMall.  And if you order it today you will have it in your hands weeks before I will have mine (I had it sent via AliExpress standard shipping not DHL)..  Please post your thoughts on the phone if you decide to buy it.

My thoughts on the phone before testing it and with no full gsmarena review for it is that it's the best phone for me.  I bought the Meizu 15 from AliExpress and recieved it on May 18'th.  I paid 14,874.64 baht for that phone and I like it a lot.  It is compact and lightweight with excellent audio output and a very decent camera.

The Meizu 16th similarly is compact and lightweight with a 6 inch screen.  It has a slightly larger battery with Android Oreo (with the Flyme skin) instead of Android Nougat (with the Flyme skin) for the Meizu 15, so even with the Snapdragon 845 I would expect battery rundown time to be as good as the Meizu 15 which gsmarena measured at 77 hours endurance rating.  In my use of the Meizu 15 I easily get 3-4 days of battery life on a full charge and the phone charges extremely rapidly at 12 V/2 A, 15 W.  I plug in in for about 30 minutes every 2-3 days to top it up to 100%.

The maximum in call voice volume was measured at 77 dB by gsmarena and the sound is very clear on the Meizu 15.  The Meizu 16th advertisements report that the audio has been improved and it was excellent already.

I considered the Google Pixel 3 as I like light, compact phones but I joined a user group for it on Facebook and quite a few people complained that the speaker output was poor, with hissing and buzzing sounds at times, and the earpiece speaker is tinny sounding with the bass and most of the volume coming from the lower speaker.  So that eliminated that.

I was keen on the Huawei Mate 20 Pro until gsmarena really panned the audio output, and subsequently reported some end users complaining of strong screen bleeding issues.  So that eliminated that.

For me the Apple XS is the only phone that stands up somewhat well to the Meizu 16th.  But the maximum in call voice volume is 71 dB and I am an Android kind of guy, not to mention it's almost three times more expensive,  So that ones out.

Here are the Meizu 16th, the Poco, and the Huawei Mate 20 Pro as compared.  The Meizu 16th is the clear winner, for me.  I included the Poco as a well know mid-high end value buy, and the Huawei Mate 20 Pro as a "latest and greatest" contender (pretender?).

The Meizu and the Poco both have vapor cooling, and maybe Meizu implemented this better as Kimovil reports a higher Antutu score for the Meizu.  I forget if the Mate 20 Pro has vapor cooling but its CPU is the fastest and is reportedly very efficient (which reduces heat) and it has the highest Antutu score.  All three are blazing fast.

I got mine in the white color and the Global version. I did not see "Global version" on the Lazada listing but it almost certainly is the Global version.  The Chinese version has only the Chinese and English language, no Thai language, so it is all but inconceivable that Lazada would be selling the Chines version or the rooted Chinese version.   LazMall is an easy return for cash back if by some weird circumstance you get sent the Chinese version.

I could go on and on about why I like the Meizu 16th the best, but that would be for me.  I'll conclude by saying no massive notch!

At 10 AM on 11/11 the Realme 2 Pro went back on sale at LazMall and although they again sold out of the blue color it remains available for ordering in the black color.  I think that is a great deal but a poster on the Poco Topic brought to my attention an 11/11 deal which I think is even better than the Realme 2 Pro.  The Meizu 16th is listed for sale in white or black, 6/64 memory, for 11,900 baht which is a really tremendous price if you like the phone model which I do.  Here is the post I made on the Poco and High End Topic about the Meizu 16th.

rwilem, thank you very much and wow,wow,wow.  I didn't think Lazada would ever list the Meizu 16th, and if I had known that it would be 11,990 baht at LazMall that is how I would have bought it.   Searching priceza for the Meizu 16th I get.   https://www.priceza.com/search?productdataname=meizu+16th   And searching Priceprice I get it for 15,426.70 baht at Banggood listed as not in stock but "coming soon".   https://sea.banggood.com/Meizu-16th-6_0-inch-6GB-RAM-64GB-ROM-Snapdragon-845-Octa-core-4G-Smartphone-p-1336230.html?rmmds=category&admitad_uid=b593304d6dd3dcff3968ef01d851b443&ID=233&cur_warehouse=CN   I never thought to directly search Lazada for the phone as it seems that no new Meizu model has been for sale at Lazada since the Meizu Pro 7 was released in August, 2017.  Darn, I sure wish I had done a search on Lazada before I ordered it from AliExpress.   I ordered it from AliExpress on November 5'th and my total price was 14,103.26 baht.  It has already been shipped so I can not cancel my AliExpress order while it is in transit..  So I paid 2,113.26 baht more than the phone sells for today at LazMall.  And if you order it today you will have it in your hands weeks before I will have mine (I had it sent via AliExpress standard shipping not DHL)..  Please post your thoughts on the phone if you decide to buy it.   My thoughts on the phone before testing it and with no full gsmarena review for it is that it's the best phone for me.  I bought the Meizu 15 from AliExpress and recieved it on May 18'th.  I paid 14,874.64 baht for that phone and I like it a lot.  It is compact and lightweight with excellent audio output and a very decent camera.   The Meizu 16th similarly is compact and lightweight with a 6 inch screen.  It has a slightly larger battery with Android Oreo (with the Flyme skin) instead of Android Nougat (with the Flyme skin) for the Meizu 15, so even with the Snapdragon 845 I would expect battery rundown time to be as good as the Meizu 15 which gsmarena measured at 77 hours endurance rating.  In my use of the Meizu 15 I easily get 3-4 days of battery life on a full charge and the phone charges extremely rapidly at 12 V/2 A, 15 W.  I plug in in for about 30 minutes every 2-3 days to top it up to 100%.   The maximum in call voice volume was measured at 77 dB by gsmarena and the sound is very clear on the Meizu 15.  The Meizu 16th advertisements report that the audio has been improved and it was excellent already.   I considered the Google Pixel 3 as I like light, compact phones but I joined a user group for it on Facebook and quite a few people complained that the speaker output was poor, with hissing and buzzing sounds at times, and the earpiece speaker is tinny sounding with the bass and most of the volume coming from the lower speaker.  So that eliminated that.   I was keen on the Huawei Mate 20 Pro until gsmarena really panned the audio output, and subsequently reported some end users complaining of strong screen bleeding issues.  So that eliminated that.   For me the Apple XS is the only phone that stands up somewhat well to the Meizu 16th.  But the maximum in call voice volume is 71 dB and I am an Android kind of guy, not to mention it's almost three times more expensive,  So that ones out.   Here are the Meizu 16th, the Poco, and the Huawei Mate 20 Pro as compared.  The Meizu 16th is the clear winner, for me.  I included the Poco as a well know mid-high end value buy, and the Huawei Mate 20 Pro as a "latest and greatest" contender (pretender?).   https://www.kimovil.com/en/compare/huawei-mate-20-pro-al10,meizu-16th-global,xiaomi-pocophone-f1   https://www.devicespecifications.com/en/comparison/c88f128197   https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=9280&idPhone2=9293&idPhone3=9343   The Meizu and the Poco both have vapor cooling, and maybe Meizu implemented this better as Kimovil reports a higher Antutu score for the Meizu.  I forget if the Mate 20 Pro has vapor cooling but its CPU is the fastest and is reportedly very efficient (which reduces heat) and it has the highest Antutu score.  All three are blazing fast.   I got mine in the white color and the Global version. I did not see "Global version" on the Lazada listing but it almost certainly is the Global version.  The Chinese version has only the Chinese and English language, no Thai language, so it is all but inconceivable that Lazada would be selling the Chines version or the rooted Chinese version.   LazMall is an easy return for cash back if by some weird circumstance you get sent the Chinese version.   I could go on and on about why I like the Meizu 16th the best, but that would be for me.  I'll conclude by saying no massive notch!
Just watched a YouTube video on the phone, looks superb, wish I hadn't got the 8x max now, looked on eBay and it was coming in at 450 pounds, that over 19,000 baht so sounds like you got a good deal.

Sent from my ARE-AL00 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

In doing my due diligence I searched YouTube for Meizu 16th videos.  The Lazada announcement of the special 11/11 price was posted on YouTube on November 6'th and I ordered my Meizu from AliExpress on November 5; just missing out seeing that it would be on the Lazada 11/11 sale.

A lot of the YouTube "reviews" just rehash the specs, show you the phone and are basically useless.  This guy here on YouTube I like and he also does a nice review of the Poco.

AliExpress gave me an okay deal but rwilem really got the great deal at Lazada.

The day after the big 11/11 Lazada sale let's see what the prices of relevant phones are.

Firstly, the Meizu 16th has increased in price from 11,000 baht to 17,900 baht. The LazMall 6/64 Poco has increased from 9,490 to 10,490  baht.  The Lasaer at Lazada Poco 6/128 is unchanged at 10,200 baht.  And the Poco Armoured Limited Edition has increased from 11,990 baht to 12,990 baht.

The Realme 2 Pro has increased from 5,990 baht to 6,590 baht and is in stock in black or blue.  The Xiaomi Redmi 6 Pro is 6,790 baht in black or 6,990 baht in blue or rose gold.  The Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite went up a bit in price, and with the superior, to me, Realme 2 Pro in a similar mid priced range the A2 Lite is no longer a recommended buy by me.

The Samsung Galaxy J6 is about the same price and may be of interest to people wanting a mid-range phone with a Super AMOLED screen.  The Galaxy A8 is a bit more expensive than it was yesterday.

I remain very keen about the Meizu 16th, and several stores at AliExpress are offering it at a good price of about 13,000 baht, and one seller may be offer a $100 discount user coupon if you are a new user buying that model.

Daocat, just an update here. I mentioned in an earlier post--and in the Pocophone topic, but I'll put this here, seems to be the appropriate topic--that Lazada had declined my card purchase when trying to buy the Meizu 16th on Sunday. But I was able to conclude a purchase using thd COD payment option, and then had two purchases showing in the account, blah, blah, blah.....

OK, after the COD attempt was successful I wanted to contact Lazada about the other order, as I could not understand why two phones were in the 'My Orders' page. Chat was done for the day at that time. But I could find on the orders page via the website, and not in the app, that the 'pending' order had to be the card purchase and did a cancellation of that.

But I never received a confirmation email on the successful COD purchase, though the after-buy 'your order has been confirmed' page that showed up in the app said I was being sent one. Waited, and waited...never got one. Wanted to find out up what was up with that; did I really complete an order?

Never got an email confirming it.

'All our agents are busy, try again later', was all what I got when I tried a few times on Monday. I'd call, but didn't see any phone number. Whatever. If I get it, I get it.

But I did try today and got through. Though they never addressed the lack of a confirmation email, I was informed the order would be shipped between the 20th-22nd and I'd be contacted on it.

So standing by, and by the middle of next week I'll know. 

On 6/25/2018 at 11:19 AM, geisha said:

’m thinking of buying a Huawei Nova with the double’camera. I’ve been told it’s very good. Around 10 000B  . I have an iPhone at the’ moment , find the whole Apple ID system and passwords complicated and most generally fed up’with It.  Any   views? I’ll use it more as a camera for my travelling than as a telephone. And I like uncomplicated !

I bought Huawei Y7 2019 for 7K from a dtac store in the mall. It is very good and supports dtac's turbo. My dtac 4G speed is around 30/10 now. 

I ordered my Meizu 16th from AliExpress on November 5'th and it arrived on November 22'nd.  I bought it from the Hongkong VT Store for 14,103 baht.

It does not have NFC or wireless charging.  The battery is 3010 mAh.  My memory is 6/64 and the ROM is not expandable.  For me, and I suggest that for many people it is the best phone that money can buy right now (ok, for those money is no object folks go for the 8/128 memory.)

It is thin and light with a Super AMOLED screen.  The audio is great.  And I got mine in the white color which I think looks really nice.  The build quality appears to be top notch. 

I would prefer it to have wireless charging for convenience and NFC for snob appeal, but phones which have those (Mate 20 Pro) do not have, in my opinion, the other desirable features of the Meizu 16th.  Phone features require a trade off.

In May the next  Meizu Flagship might be announced and it is expected to be the same basic phone with internal upgrades such a Snapdragon 8150.  For me staying with the same 6 inch screen makes sense.  It is big enough to show taxi drivers where you want to go on Google Maps, but not so large that the phone is bulky to carry around.

It has my highest recommendation. 

So now you've found a phone that gets your recommendation - & it does look great, what you gonna write about next? :laugh:

Wish I'd waited & bought one, instead of the oppo 9. Not very happy with it, & neither is Mrs F.

Btw, always I enjoy reading your posts on here..

????

Well faraday, you did get me Bell book and Candle and I thank you for that.  But that won't stop me from trolling you big time for buying an Oppo 9 (I assume you mean F 9).

Lets compare the Oppo F9 with the Meizu 16th.

The Oppo has an Antutu score of 140,100 vs 291,165 for the Meizu.  The Meizu has a wider display with a narrower body.  The Meizu has a Super AMOLED display vs IPS for the Oppo.  The Oppo charges quite fast but via the annoying to plug in Micro USB Port.

The Oppo has a secondary rear camera of 2 MP vs 20 MP for the Meizu.

It goes without saying that the Meizu has far better audio output.  I can find exactly one spec where the Oppo wins out and that is its 3500 mAh battery vs 3010 mAh for the Meizu.  Oh, and the Oppo has Gorilla Glass 6 protection which the Meizu does not have.  They are about the same price on Lazada right now

I just read the gsmarena review for the Oppo and it is very favorable.  It did fine on things which are important to me such as 71.7 dB maximum in call voice and it's not too terribly huge or heavy.

Never the less I recommend you buy a Meizu 16th in white for Mrs F. and for you a blue Meizu 16th (that would mean AliExpress but I have trouble recommending a black phone for anybody).

Give away one Oppo to your favorite Noodle vender and one to the laundry girl.  Or sell them here on TVF.  They are decent phones; likely you can swing a deal favorable to both buyer and seller.

Step up to a Meizu!

Well, at Lazada the Meizu 16th remains on sale for 11,900 baht. But now, you can select the white color option at the model description page and get one for the same sales price, an option previously unavailable, and unavailable when I got mine.

I prefer black, anyway. But if a white Meizu 16th (6/64, global) is what someone may want, it can be had for a good price right now.

Can't say enough good things about the Redmi Note 5 Plus.  Dual camera with good portrait software.  Fingerprint scanner or face entry if needed.  Solid battery life with 4000 mhz battery... larger camera sensor and pretty good pics even in low light...  only 7-8000 baht a steal...  the Redmi Note 6 shares many of these features including a battery efficient snapdragon process for near the same price...  can order Lazada etc but not from shops as xiaomi goes direct to reduce prices...

33 minutes ago, losworld said:

Can't say enough good things about the Redmi Note 5 Plus.  Dual camera with good portrait software.  Fingerprint scanner or face entry if needed.  Solid battery life with 4000 mhz battery... larger camera sensor and pretty good pics even in low light...  only 7-8000 baht a steal...  the Redmi Note 6 shares many of these features including a battery efficient snapdragon process for near the same price...  can order Lazada etc but not from shops as xiaomi goes direct to reduce prices...

android?

33 minutes ago, losworld said:

android?

1 hour ago, Elkski said:

How long does it take to get mizzu 16  from lazada

I ordered on 11/11, during the 11/11 weekend blowout sales period. I believe they may not have had it in stock, but were expecting the shipment to arrive soon. They said the phone would be delivered between the 20th-22nd, and they tell you the expected delivery date when you look to order, even before you 'buy'. My phone arrived on 11/21, so it was received ten days after I ordered it.

Looking today, right now, the sales price of 11,900 baht is not there, it's back to 17,900. Yesterday, there were two sellers offering it for 11,900 and 12,900 baht, respectively.  So just keep checking, it seems to bounce back to the sales price at different times.

Archived