Affordable Smartphone Recomendations

daocat555

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A couple vendors have the poco but many will eu. And get one from a friend's inventory or something.   Did see a blue one but the vendor I used had only black and red.  The blue one came with a smoke case that covered the blue back.  The red case is clear.   But last night at skybar I found out the clear case drastically interfered with the flash.  Like this should be a recall and free case issue situation. 

It's possible I had the case on where the cutiut for cameras was on the wrong end.  But after just a couple days this poco stock case is very loose fitting.  it gives me the feeling  the camera could fallout while your holding it. 

What is a good case from Lazada?  It seems someone was going to order several.   Was that for the poco?

I think you did well, Ellski, in getting a 6/128 red Poco.  The only thing with the Poco is that it does not cover the USA bands very well, so be aware of that.

Lazada has a gazillion cases for the Poco.  This is my favorite.

The only thing with the above case is that it will change the color of the Poco to either black, coffee, or navy blue.  Which kind of makes any extra money that you spent to get the red color moot.  But I think that it's an attractive case.

Off topic as it's not a smart phone, but saw this on Lazada today.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/melrose-s10-10-450-mp3-i227210698-s347409427.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlistcategory.list.3.50b71a5f9aw9O1&search=1

I'm not a phone guy, but seems great for an emergency or back-up

when travelling.

My priority when I got my phone, was the smallest one I could find.

I don't use the internet or use it for anything other than making or taking calls.

For only 670 Baht, I'm going to get one.

1 hour ago, Will27 said:

Off topic as it's not a smart phone, but saw this on Lazada today.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/melrose-s10-10-450-mp3-i227210698-s347409427.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlistcategory.list.3.50b71a5f9aw9O1&search=1

I'm not a phone guy, but seems great for an emergency or back-up

when travelling.

My priority when I got my phone, was the smallest one I could find.

I don't use the internet or use it for anything other than making or taking calls.

For only 670 Baht, I'm going to get one.

looks good, cheap indeed, not a gsm conformant phone though

Motorola has had (has?) some pretty small gsm phones.

6 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

looks good, cheap indeed, not a gsm conformant phone though

Motorola has had (has?) some pretty small gsm phones.

Getting a clear GSM signal, especially in outlying areas is VERY difficult.  A friend in Chang Rai bought a 3G feature phone and his call quality was terrible with many drop outs.

5 minutes ago, dddave said:

Getting a clear GSM signal, especially in outlying areas is VERY difficult.  A friend in Chang Rai bought a 3G feature phone and his call quality was terrible with many drop outs.

yes,

there are many gsm phones that are not very good radio stations

• 2 weeks later...
The best price for the Huawei 3i I found looking right now was 8,000 baht at AliExpress; so 7,280 at Lazada right now shows how this Lazada sale is very good.

For me, the Realme 2 Pro for 5,990 baht at Lazada is a slightly better phone, but it is very similar in specs to the 3i.

If you pay more you can get faster charging via a micro USB port, or maybe an AMOLED screen, so I'm not trying to justify paying more but there are better models out there, and for the next 2 days, at a great price at Lazada.

4 hours ago, daocat555 said:
The best price for the Huawei 3i I found looking right now was 8,000 baht at AliExpress; so 7,280 at Lazada right now shows how this Lazada sale is very good.

For me, the Realme 2 Pro for 5,990 baht at Lazada is a slightly better phone, but it is very similar in specs to the 3i.

If you pay more you can get faster charging via a micro USB port, or maybe an AMOLED screen, so I'm not trying to justify paying more but there are better models out there, and for the next 2 days, at a great price at Lazada.

The Pocophone in red is only 8990 now

Definitely a good phone for that price

1 hour ago, Henryford said:

I couldn't see the Pocophone for 8990? The Realme Pro 2 is a good phone for 6000 but has the same problem as the Pocophone, a plastic body and only 64 gb.

Could be sold out, i saw it around midnight, now they i only see it in black for 9,xxx

I didn't see the Poco in red but I saw it in blue for 9,490, which sold out so now so it is available in black for 9,490 which is okay, I guess.  

Today I went to the Tesco Mall in South Pattaya and I saw the Realme 2 Pro for 4,990 baht.  I forgot to check to see the name of the store, I think that it's a chain with no online presence, but so much for the great Lazada sale on the model for 5,990 baht with a regular price of 6,449 baht, as it wasn't even promoted as a special at this store for 4,990 baht; so people interested in that phone might want to check out some shops.

For me a plastic back is preferable to a glass back, which I think is more likely to crack if the phone is dropped, and I think helps to keep down the weight of the phone.  And for me 64 GB is enough.  But for a glass back and 128 GB the Nova 3i is a nice phone.  Realme does plan on releasing a 128 GB model, but the plastic case won't be changing for the 2 Pro.

Other phones which are at their lowest price ever at Lazada are the Samsung Note 9  the Xiaomi 6 Pro, and the dated flagship Samsung S9 is 17,990 which is a pretty attractive phone at that price as it was 29,990 less than a year ago.

14 hours ago, Henryford said:

I couldn't see the Pocophone for 8990? The Realme Pro 2 is a good phone for 6000 but has the same problem as the Pocophone, a plastic body and only 64 gb.

Don't forget the Poco accepts up to a 256gb micro sd card and with the "P" update, transferring apps and data to outboard (SD) storage will be even easier.

5 hours ago, daocat555 said:
I didn't see the Poco in red but I saw it in blue for 9,490, which sold out so now so it is available in black for 9,490 which is okay, I guess.  

Today I went to the Tesco Mall in South Pattaya and I saw the Realme 2 Pro for 4,990 baht.  I forgot to check to see the name of the store, I think that it's a chain with no online presence, but so much for the great Lazada sale on the model for 5,990 baht with a regular price of 6,449 baht, as it wasn't even promoted as a special at this store for 4,990 baht; so people interested in that phone might want to check out some shops.

For me a plastic back is preferable to a glass back, which I think is more likely to crack if the phone is dropped, and I think helps to keep down the weight of the phone.  And for me 64 GB is enough.  But for a glass back and 128 GB the Nova 3i is a nice phone.  Realme does plan on releasing a 128 GB model, but the plastic case won't be changing for the 2 Pro.

Other phones which are at their lowest price ever at Lazada are the Samsung Note 9  the Xiaomi 6 Pro, and the dated flagship Samsung S9 is 17,990 which is a pretty attractive phone at that price as it was 29,990 less than a year ago.

The blue one is available on shopee for 9300 all the time.... 

22 hours ago, daocat555 said:

Today is the last day of the Lazada sale. If you get a phone now, or recently bought one, you may be in the market for a memory card or two. Some cut-rate prices for those are available right now on Lazada. I ordered a few myself.

The Meizu 16th I bought about three weeks back from Laz was a COD purchase, as the credit card (overseas based) didn't go through. (Assumed that from the frowning face of the character that popped up after the purchase attempt cycled through, as there was only a Thai language explanation.) But Laz accepted the same card for today's buy. 

And to report on my experience with Aliexpress. OK, it's not for a big ticket item such as a phone, but almost three weeks ago I ordered five items from four sellers, various screen protectors and back covers. Four-for-four, all orders received, the first ones about a week after they were ordered.

All of items were what was ordered, no messups.  There seems to have been some convoluted shipping on these China-origin items, some shipped from China to Malaysia and Singapore to here. Whatever, they arrived here. 

13 hours ago, stud858 said:

Refurbished possibly?

S9 copies are available so buyer beware.  

Could be legit brand new, but best to ask them or tell them you'll be seeking a refund if found to be fake 

That could really be the  price now.... 

New Phones depreciate shockingly fast

I still own Last years Huawei mate 10 pro, its 13,xxx and it was 27,990 when they launched it a year ago

(i bought mine in the summer for 16k  but I'm glad i didn't pay retail for it) 

I'm thinking about upgrading to the mate 20 x  for the big 7.2" screen, camera and it's lightning fast but it's still 25k   in the sale, i can wait a couple of months and buy it when all the flagships launch with the new snapdragon 855 and 5g tech.... 

Unless something cooler comes along .... ????

I'm hoping you will consider the Meizu 16S which may be released in May.  It may have a 6.4 inch screen and I know you like big screens.  I think you also like big batteries which Meizu's tend not to have, but it may be, oh, 3500 mAh.  The 3000 mAh battery on my Meizu 16th I charge about every 3 days, but then I don't use the phone much.

I keep track of upcoming phone rumors, and for me the Meizu 16S will be the best new model of early 2019.

On 12/16/2018 at 10:55 PM, daocat555 said:

I'm hoping you will consider the Meizu 16S which may be released in May.  It may have a 6.4 inch screen and I know you like big screens.  I think you also like big batteries which Meizu's tend not to have, but it may be, oh, 3500 mAh.  The 3000 mAh battery on my Meizu 16th I charge about every 3 days, but then I don't use the phone much.

I keep track of upcoming phone rumors, and for me the Meizu 16S will be the best new model of early 2019.

I think for productivity, media, email and browsing going from 6" to 6.4" isn't really different enough to make the upgrade worth it but if meizu make one around 7" id be interested 

The only one I've tried from the 3   Is the 7.2" mate 20 x and its impressive  , rocket fast, amazing camera, amoled screen and its still doesn't feel "too big" to use easily or pocket it 

Moving to 6.99" mi max 3 or the 6.12" honor 8x max would be mainly a downgrade  in spec from the mate 10 pro i use now 

I would probably have bought the mate 20x already but I want Root access, uninstall bloatware /run custom os like lineage etc 

Huawei is still  refusing to give out bootloader unlock codes   so i probably won't buy another phone from them unless they start allowing users to unlock them again

The new Samsung s10 range is not that far away and they may have one with the spec I'm looking for... 

I took a different path.

Brought my own smartphone from home, LG Aristo. It's capable and inexpensive.

However, for whatever reason, after serious effort, neither I nor 3 mobile stores in Thailand could make a Thai Sim work in it.

Solution?

A truemobile cheapy that has hotspot feature. 600 baht for both phone and one month unlimited data.

So ya, I often carry two phone's so I can tether the smart one, and that's a hassle. But, I've got unlimited data on my home smart phone for crazy cheap.

2 hours ago, YogaVeg said:

I took a different path.

Brought my own smartphone from home, LG Aristo. It's capable and inexpensive.

However, for whatever reason, after serious effort, neither I nor 3 mobile stores in Thailand could make a Thai Sim work in it.

Solution?

A truemobile cheapy that has hotspot feature. 600 baht for both phone and one month unlimited data.

So ya, I often carry two phone's so I can tether the smart one, and that's a hassle. But, I've got unlimited data on my home smart phone for crazy cheap.

Android Phones are pretty cheap thesedays, especially the Chinese brands 

I wouldn't carry two of them around so i could use one as a modem to send internet to the other one...

What speed is the unlimited Internet showing on Speedtest.net ? 

The one they gave me is unlimited 6mb for 189 a week and it has not let me down yet

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed today that the RealMe C1 was being sold at my local 7-11: B3900. The box had some stickers obscuring the specs so I could not tell exactly which model it is.  It also seemed to be being sold independently of the usual TRUE package mandatory with most phones sold at 7-11. 

They had 5 or 6 of them on hand so "7' seems to be getting into selling  higher end phones than was previously sold there.

Unless 5g I would hold off buying new phone.

Early 2019 is expected release of 5 g phones by Sony and Samsung.

With actual 5 g network coming albeit a lot later most likely, but you don't want to get stuck with a phone that will be hard to resell and is so 2018

With 5g on the Horizon all the more reason to consider the RealMe C1 as a bridge phone.  I can't find a phone better than the C1 for less than 5,000 baht; so resale is no big deal with a 3,900 baht investment.

The RealMe C1 has a lot going for it, such as a 4230 mAh battery.  Funny how fast the new phones develop with cost effectiveness.

14 hours ago, stud858 said:

Unless 5g I would hold off buying new phone.

Early 2019 is expected release of 5 g phones by Sony and Samsung.

With actual 5 g network coming albeit a lot later most likely, but you don't want to get stuck with a phone that will be hard to resell and is so 2018

4g speeds will also improve  according to some articles i have read because they will have the same capability/bandwidth as usual but shared amongst less users as 5g adoption grows so you don't have to be in the first wave of 5g handset users to see some of the upside 

Ais 4g and WiFi coverage in bkk is usually fast enough for me so i won't upgrade immediately just for the sake of having 5g capability because it will be pretty limited coverage until the networks build up their 5g networks anyway and the first 5g phones maybe $200-300 more according to oneplus ceo

Archived