Easiest Androids to root

Rc2702

Had some issues with rooting Android recently.

Androids wirh binary 4 seem difficult if not impossible? 

Samsung being the main phones rooted by myself.

Is there any particular Samsung that can be rooted easier than others?

Maybe this question is based on the OS the phone has so sane goes for the OS? Easiest to root to become a system app?

With a rooted Device you can install different Firmwares.

Some of them give you more options or better Battery Live for example.

For Samsung the main reason is to get a vanilla Android without all the crap what Samsung put on your phone and you cannot delete it.

Easiest phones to root are the one from OnePlus.

I spent several hours today trying to find someone in Chiang Mai who could root my ancient Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and install an Android version 5.  All said it was impossible but I read online that it can be done although you have to root the phone first.

Has anyone successfully got anything later than Android 4.4 running on a Note 2?  HSBC's new banking app requires Android 5 or newer.

18 hours ago, Get Real said:

And forgive my stupidity! Why would anybody want to root a phone?
They are for surfing, texting, chatting and talking, right? I can do all that with my unrooted Android!

Plenty of reasons

Custom ROMS

Install Adaway

Delete bloatware

To name but a few

8 minutes ago, 2008bangkok said:

Plenty of reasons

Custom ROMS

Install Adaway

Delete bloatware

To name but a few

Custom Roms: Just buy a phone with the OS you like.

Install Adaway: This is an ad-blocking app for Andriod. You can install it and it´s functions on any Android Phone. Not need to be rooted.

Delete Bloatware: https://www.technorms.com/44801/remove-bloatware-from-android-no-rooting

Sooo......tam....tam...tam...tam....

26 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Custom Roms: Just buy a phone with the OS you like.

Install Adaway: This is an ad-blocking app for Andriod. You can install it and it´s functions on any Android Phone. Not need to be rooted.

Delete Bloatware: https://www.technorms.com/44801/remove-bloatware-from-android-no-rooting

Hmmm hate to get into discussions with people who dont know what they are talking about but I will humour you...

1. Why would anybody buy a phone just because they like the OS that is installed, good idea. The phone looks crap but its got a OS that i like. Far better to buy a phone you like and install a Custom ROM that does exactly what you like. You wouldnt buy a car you didnt like just because the seats were good would you.

2. You can install Adaway on any phone but it wont work. Adaway replaces the host file on your phone and to do that you need root. These so called ad blockers that run without root juts create a vpn which slows down your phone. Much better to do it at root level, set it once and done no need to open 3rd party app. Maybe you can provide an example of such an app that you would use to block ads from apps? You 

3. This is not deleting bloatware its only disabling and not all of them either. Of course you can disable some apps (not all but some) but that is not deleting the bloatware like i suggested is it. To truly delete the apps you need to have access to the system>apps or system>priv-app folders whether that manually or from another app and guess what, yep you guessed correctly ..You need Root for that.!

So far none of your suggestion would work sufficiently just crappy workarounds. Where as if you have rooted your phone then that provides solutions.

6 minutes ago, 2008bangkok said:

Hmmm hate to get into discussions with people who dont know what they are talking about but I will humour you...

1. Why would anybody buy a phone just because they like the OS that is installed, good idea. The phone looks crap but its got a OS that i like. Far better to buy a phone you like and install a Custom ROM that does exactly what you like. You wouldnt buy a car you didnt like just because the seats were good would you.

2. You can install Adaway on any phone but it wont work. Adaway replaces the host file on your phone and to do that you need root. These so called ad blockers that run without root juts create a vpn which slows down your phone. Much better to do it at root level, set it once and done no need to open 3rd party app. Maybe you can provide an example of such an app that you would use to block ads from apps? You 

3. This is not deleting bloatware its only disabling and not all of them either. Of course you can disable some apps (not all but some) but that is not deleting the bloatware like i suggested is it. To truly delete the apps you need to have access to the system>apps or system>priv-app folders whether that manually or from another app and guess what, yep you guessed correctly ..You need Root for that.!

So far none of your suggestion would work sufficiently just crappy workarounds. Where as if you have rooted your phone then that provides solutions.

Oki doki, so all 90% of the users of mobile phones just don´t know what they do, or the phone is just a piece of crap because it´s just not rooted.

Anybody got Android 5 or higher running without fuss?  I really don't want to buy another phone just to run a banking sign on app.  OK, the Note 2 is old but still works fine for virtually everything I need.

Being a newbie at Andriod is intimidating and looks both time consuming and full of pitfalls.  I don't see other than enthusiasts claiming reliable results (and even then they're often qualified with remarks like "after spending the weekend tidying up the EPL logs and re-flashing the Goolies it worked like a charm until....etc".

If someone knows a stable reliable ROM I may give it a try.

5 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Oki doki, so all 90% of the users of mobile phones just don´t know what they do, or the phone is just a piece of crap because it´s just not rooted.

90% of the users are happy to use there phones as they are out of the box and that is not a problem most will probably use the default launcher, use default system apps, install user apps and be more than happy.

Other like me (and the OP by the sounds of it) like to have it setup nice so to do that they need to root the phone. Personally the first thing i do when i get a new phone is root it, get rid of the OEM apps that Ill never use and install Adaway so I have a system level ad blocker. the phone is then setup how i want it not the OEM. Sometimes ill even unroot it after so all the changes are set but i have no apps that are restricting me because the phone is rooted.

As this thread is also about the best ways or phone to root. I think that is that we are talking about rather than you ranting about why would anyone want to root a phone and 90% of users who dont root also. What help are you answers to this thread. THEY AINT!

18 hours ago, Greenside said:

I spent several hours today trying to find someone in Chiang Mai who could root my ancient Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and install an Android version 5.  All said it was impossible but I read online that it can be done although you have to root the phone first.

Has anyone successfully got anything later than Android 4.4 running on a Note 2?  HSBC's new banking app requires Android 5 or newer.

Are you sure HSBC's app will run on a rooted phone?

No idea, but I have doubts that anyone in their online banking help dept will have a clue what I'm talking about.  All the support person said the other day is that it needs Android 5 or later.  I'll give them a try and see.

As expected, they were no help on the rooting question.  For anyone else in my situation, they tell me they are still going to maintain the physical secure key device to generate the login and transaction codes so although it's less convenient it at least reduces the urgent need for a new phone which is better than nothing. 

On 6/24/2018 at 4:59 PM, Rc2702 said:

Is there any particular Samsung that can be rooted easier than others?

I think this can vary a bit based on exact model/variant, Snapdragon/Exynos, current OS version. I think all methods will trip Knox and void the warranty.

It's probably best to narrow down the models, then head over to XDA.

Some applications, specifically mobile banking, may not run on rooted devices.

5 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

I am curious as to why would this be the case as they are still running basically the Android OS?

7 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

I had a Huawei P8 rooted, but 2 bank apps did not work then. Answer from Hotline: have you rooted the phone, then the app does not work for security reasons.

9 hours ago, topt said:

I am curious as to why would this be the case as they are still running basically the Android OS?

I'm not certain, probably some internal app. check. I was merely speaking from personal experience with my rooted phone(s).

There may be some workarounds, and/or specific custom ROMs which include a workaround.

I would imagine that using a rooted phone with a workaround would violate the terms/conditions of your bank's mobile app, and any resulting 'problems' would be your own to resolve?

Krungsri and Bualuang ("Bangkok Bank") apps both work with rooted devices, though the latter complains about root before it starts. TMB app does not start on rooted devices. I had to disassemble it, remove the root check and recompile the app in order to use it. Quite a hassle and not a long term solution with their frequent updates. I was hoping to avoid having to install Xposed, but I guess it's probably the best workaround, either by hiding root using it or creating a special bypass module for TMB. 

10 hours ago, andy6699 said:

I had a Huawei P8 rooted, but 2 bank apps did not work then. Answer from Hotline: have you rooted the phone, then the app does not work for security reasons.

Useful to know thanks and another reason why I will avoid mobile banking on my phone :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, moana said:

Krungsri and Bualuang ("Bangkok Bank") apps both work with rooted devices, though the latter complains about root before it starts. TMB app does not start on rooted devices. I had to disassemble it, remove the root check and recompile the app in order to use it. Quite a hassle and not a long term solution with their frequent updates. I was hoping to avoid having to install Xposed, but I guess it's probably the best workaround, either by hiding root using it or creating a special bypass module for TMB. 

I have been considering adding xprivacy for which I think you need Xposed - any reason why you were hoping to avoid it?

If you are recompiling apks you are aeons ahead of my level of lack of ability - I literally read about 1,000 XDA posts before I rooted my phone earlier this year :biggrin:  

Archived