Never been to Issan. What's worth seeing in Khon Kaen?

thaibeachlovers

I have some airmiles for a free trip to Issan, and never been there, so want to go. Just googled things to do in Khon Kaen and other than temples, market and "nightlife" whatever that means, seems devoid of much to do.

Am I better off going elsewhere, and do I need more than one day, wherever I go?

I live in Chiang Mai, so have zero interest in seeing temples.

Thanks for any info.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been a few times as it’s a good stopping point for me on way back home. To be honest apart from the usual night markets (it has a decent evening one) and the usual temples etc it won’t offer anything you havent got in Chiang Mai. There is a main Soi that runs alongside the larger hotels (Pullman, Kosa) which has a few ferang type bars and the usual female offerings. 

No, the only places in Thailand worth going to see for a Farang are Bangkok and some of the islands in the south, and Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai, a couple cities in the far north.

The middle part of the country, especially anywhere near the province of Phetchabun where I live, is not worth seeing.

Stay away!

1 hour ago, ThaiWai said:

Tonn Tan market was great because I was starving and that's the place to be when you are hungry. I stayed at the Avani and loved it. Nice little pub right on the premises. 

I enjoy that market of an evening. Got a lovely ambience with the live music and a cracking bbq. 

16 hours ago, Maradona 10 said:

''I have some airmiles for a free trip to Issan''

it costs about 600 baht from CM but you are only going as you have some free air miles??

What kind of people are on this board, never come across anything like it!

Considering that you pay tax on air miles, the trip may cost more than 600b

1 hour ago, ThaiWai said:

Tonn Tan market was great because I was starving and that's the place to be when you are hungry. I stayed at the Avani and loved it. Nice little pub right on the premises. 

22 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

I enjoy that market of an evening. Got a lovely ambience with the live music and a cracking bbq. 

Do me a favour, it's as boring as h*ll.

18 hours ago, Maradona 10 said:

''I have some airmiles for a free trip to Issan''

it costs about 600 baht from CM but you are only going as you have some free air miles??

What kind of people are on this board, never come across anything like it!

You are right , its amazing these guys a let out by themselves . Just go there as i did in 2004 . There are a million places i have never been could anyone tell me if they are all ok ?Some questiosn beggar belief .
Where can i buy a burger ,english breakfast, a belt , shoes, mobile phone and even a motorbike in the place probably with the worlds most bike shops ,bread ,etc . I have seen all these . cRazy just answer in the same places you would back home.
 Its not as if he is on the other side of the world , just a stones throw away . 
 I have been to nearly every city in thailand and they are all the same except some have lots of nightlife and some have little . Better the op stops being lazy and find out for hiself

30 minutes ago, dragonballz said:

You are right , its amazing these guys a let out by themselves . Just go there as i did in 2004 . There are a million places i have never been could anyone tell me if they are all ok ?Some questiosn beggar belief .
Where can i buy a burger ,english breakfast, a belt , shoes, mobile phone and even a motorbike in the place probably with the worlds most bike shops ,bread ,etc . I have seen all these . cRazy just answer in the same places you would back home.
 Its not as if he is on the other side of the world , just a stones throw away . 
 I have been to nearly every city in thailand and they are all the same except some have lots of nightlife and some have little . Better the op stops being lazy and find out for hiself

Yep, and your last para is spot on, every city is indeed the same.

10 hours ago, colinneil said:

OP you ask what is there to do in Khonkaen.

Well 1 thing you could do is pop along see me, now i guarantee that is an experience you will cherish forever.:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

And if you want to go to Ubon Ratchathani you can visit me Now that is something special. I consider myself a rare specimen?:stoner:

11 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Sounds like Chiang Mai so far I'm still waiting for the tide to come in.

You will be waiting for a long time as there is no sea or coastline up here.

Some minor flooding but mainly from blocked drains.

Maybe time to move to the big smoke.

I like night markets.  But being your own houch as Chang has this place totally in the bag and i hate chang.  

Will you be bringing your nightlife or hunting?  I say it and nearby kalasin offer nice hunting.  Or fishing.  Get in a dating site.   

There are resorts to stay at near the river but I guess you will have to find a fish with a car.    There is a night club frequented by Thai.  It's gets jamming after 11.   Being ear plugs.  It was friendly enough but how do you pick up chicks when everyone Drinks like fish, it's so crowded, noisy and they all  dance next to their own table? 

13 hours ago, billsmart said:

No, the only places in Thailand worth going to see for a Farang are Bangkok and some of the islands in the south, and Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai, a couple cities in the far north.

The middle part of the country, especially anywhere near the province of Phetchabun where I live, is not worth seeing.

Stay away!

Nothing to see in Petchabun? I guess after living there for some time it would all become ho hum.

Personally I’ve been in and around the area 3 times now for extended periods, goegeous scenery!! Beautiful valleys and some interesting things to see (the military museum being one)

Khao Kho is one of my favourite places for a relaxing stay and chill out ?

14E6BE56-8B17-4F12-82D9-7F80A3D1F394.jpeg

4C578E4E-863B-4E3F-AECD-64AD1BE82E1B.jpeg

44D0B7E6-17FF-452F-A240-C1179903A194.jpeg

91DC0D4C-806D-420A-84B7-245F65F17138.jpeg

Archived