Never been to Issan. What's worth seeing in Khon Kaen?

thaibeachlovers

7 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

Seriously. Try renting a vehicle (or using your own car or m/c) and do a Mekong river run. Start in Loei and finish down near Ubon. Or vice versa. Spend about a week doing it, nice & relaxed, no definitive plans. Plenty of nice stuff to see. Plenty of pleasant riverside large provincial towns and small cities.

Either way, a couple of days flying into KK city, you aint gonna see much except another egg carton large concrete provincial city with lots of traffic.

Perhaps you thought my 3 days was actually 7. Never mind.

I've done the river already north of Laos. I don't need to see more of it, but thanks anyway.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Justfine said:

Why don't you fly to Udon and visit Nong Khai.

Unless you give a better reason, I'm not going to Nong Khai, or anywhere else, for that matter. With one day at destination I've no intention of wandering around another concrete city, and only the same sort of shops/ temples I've seen a thousand times before.

10 hours ago, transam said:

I don't think you understand my post...BUT, that's OK, you will not like Isaan...:stoner:

Nothing to do with "liking". If that was the only criteria I'd head down to my favourite beach. It's all about going somewhere I've never been, and I haven't been everywhere in LOS if I haven't been to Issan. I figured a day would do to tick the bucket list, but as no one has come up with a reason to go I'll just have to add it to the list of places I've never been in the world.

10 hours ago, colinneil said:

Not a pointless post, but you like some others look down on folk in Issan, why?

Never been here, get up and come here and see.

Yes i was serious about you visiting, in the last 3 weeks apart from a few locals, the only person i have seen is Bobby Cullen, a true friend who takes time to visit me every week.

Also i did not make a mockery of your thread, you did that yourself, with your later comments.

Sorry, but I don't take general comments on a public forum as being seriously meant. That's what the PM function is for.

I don't look down on Issan folk, and I've no idea why you would think so. I had an Issan GF for many years.

9 hours ago, SantiSuk said:

Isaan and its major towns grow on you the longer you stay - largely driven by the quality of the people (Isaan and farang) and nowhere near as boring as painted by the bar stool johnny element of TV.com. Some great walking/jogging/biking/cycling areas when you know where to look. Ditto good eating experiences and other entertainment if you are open to looking for something different from the fayre in the obvious tourist cities.

I note that some visitors are of the right mind set to get hooked even on a one week visit (to my local area Ubon/Sisaket at least), but they seem to be the types who have an inquiring and open mind and prepared to find or already have friends locally who can show them around. Might as well stay away if its just a long or short weekend and you haven't established the contacts in advance.

Unfortunately the KK response does seem a little lacklustre and resigned from the couple of pages I've sampled. [Apologies if I missed one of those welcoming and informative 'where to start' posts that I would have expected].

Edit: Just read the posts above on this page - has gone downhill rather a lot - are you really a thai beach lover who wants to come for a day? Maybe go for a reset and tell us what you like to do in CM and what sort of things you're looking for on an away trip to Isaan.

The only thing I like in C M is the movies and the western grub once a week treat at a local restaurant.

Has to be the most boring city I've lived in in LOS. Even Lamphun has a better night life. I only stayed here because it's cheaper than Pattaya, but has everything I need. I should have moved back to Pattaya months ago, but from the Pattaya forum, the place has gone barking with the Chinese invasion, so I'm just hanging here, and going to the movies and eating at that restaurant. Best thing I can say about it is that it could be worse- I could be living in the village with my ex.

Yes indeed, I'm a beach lover that wanted to go to Issan for a day, just to tick off the bucket list, but given the lack of any information about interesting things to do there, I'll not bother. 

Things I'd like to do in Khon Kaen would be anything amazing like Nong Nooch Gardens, or Temple of Truth in Pattaya. Even something like the Gibbon experience in Chiang Mai. That would certainly be enough for one day. For an interesting city, can't go past Phayao. That has a lake with a pleasant walkway, interesting temples in the hills, lovely lake views with a restaurant meal, and if one has transport, amazing drives through the hills, and along the Mekong.

11 hours ago, Happyman58 said:

Bloody great view That is close to the Laos Border About 8 hours drive from us in Ubonratchathani  Might have to get to be mates with you I was brought up in the countryside love it and i also love beer do you

We lucked out with that view of Phu Bo Bit.  When I get back there, you'll probably find me on the porch in an easy chair next to a mini fridge full of beer.  We have chairs and I think the door is fine, just glare in the pic.  If you ever get by, watch out for falling fruit and fierce little chickens in the yard.

View from the top of Phu Bo Bit.

Phu Bo Bit Loei.JPG

Beer and chicken feet 2017.JPG

Loei yard 2.JPG

6 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

We lucked out with that view of Phu Bo Bit.  When I get back there, you'll probably find me on the porch in an easy chair next to a mini fridge full of beer.  We have chairs and I think the door is fine, just glare in the pic.  If you ever get by, watch out for falling fruit and fierce little chickens in the yard.

View from the top of Phu Bo Bit.

Phu Bo Bit Loei.JPG

Beer and chicken feet 2017.JPG

Loei yard 2.JPG

Very nice Great life How could you stay away from that? I am jealous. You would have to love that BeerLao better than the rubbish they brew here, Chang and Leo. I am trying to remember last time i went to Laos they were building this great big duty-free shop on the border? Was nearly finished. What country did you come from?

9 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Unless you give a better reason, I'm not going to Nong Khai, or anywhere else, for that matter. With one day at destination I've no intention of wandering around another concrete city, and only the same sort of shops/ temples I've seen a thousand times before.

It's all about going somewhere I've never been, and I haven't been everywhere in LOS if I haven't been to Issan. I figured a day would do to tick the bucket list, but as no one has come up with a reason to go I'll just have to add it to the list of places I've never been in the world.

Yes indeed, I'm a beach lover that wanted to go to Issan for a day, just to tick off the bucket list, but given the lack of any information about interesting things to do there, I'll not bother

The only thing I like in C M is the movies and the western grub once a week treat at a local restaurant.

Has to be the most boring city I've lived in in LOS. Even Lamphun has a better night life. I only stayed here because it's cheaper than Pattaya, but has everything I need. I should have moved back to Pattaya months ago, but from the Pattaya forum, the place has gone barking with the Chinese invasion, so I'm just hanging here

Gee, one day to say you've been to Isaan.

I pity you.

I can tell people I've been to Singapore and Lebanon too. Passed through the airport changing planes, and had a beer in the airport lounge.

I think people would pity me too.

Reading your replies above, there's not a lot I can say, otherwise i'd just get banned from this forum.

2 hours ago, Happyman58 said:

... What country did you come from?

USA.  I was a Peace Corps volunteer from 1977-1979, working in agriculture.  Then did about a year and a half working in the refugee camps, primarily in Nong Khai and Loei. 

I have to settle things in the US - 90 year old mother, big house and that sort of thing. 

9 minutes ago, Damrongsak said:

USA.  I was a Peace Corps volunteer from 1977-1979, working in agriculture.  Then did about a year and a half working in the refugee camps, primarily in Nong Khai and Loei. 

I have to settle things in the US - 90 year old mother, big house and that sort of thing. 

I did the same lately with my old man in Aus He was 91

I pity you.
I can tell people I've been to Singapore and Lebanon too. Passed through the airport changing planes, and had a beer in the airport lounge.
Reading your replies above, there's not a lot I can say, otherwise i'd just get banned from this forum.

It takes all sorts, I suppose.
Clearly his comments about Pattaya/CM shows a ‘tourists’ type of mentality but everyone is different and from what I read, I agree that Isaan is probably not your ‘cup of tea’.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

I pity you.

and I should care about your opinion, why exactly? Perhaps you are so bored with your life in Issan that you have to come on here and slag me off, but that says more about you than I.

I do pity you that you think it's ok to flame people on a forum.

22 hours ago, SantiSuk said:

Isaan and its major towns grow on you the longer you stay - largely driven by the quality of the people (Isaan and farang) and nowhere near as boring as painted by the bar stool johnny element of TV.com. Some great walking/jogging/biking/cycling areas when you know where to look. Ditto good eating experiences and other entertainment if you are open to looking for something different from the fayre in the obvious tourist cities.

I note that some visitors are of the right mind set to get hooked even on a one week visit (to my local area Ubon/Sisaket at least), but they seem to be the types who have an inquiring and open mind and prepared to find or already have friends locally who can show them around. Might as well stay away if its just a long or short weekend and you haven't established the contacts in advance.

Unfortunately the KK response does seem a little lacklustre and resigned from the couple of pages I've sampled. [Apologies if I missed one of those welcoming and informative 'where to start' posts that I would have expected].

Edit: Just read the posts above on this page - has gone downhill rather a lot - are you really a thai beach lover who wants to come for a day? Maybe go for a reset and tell us what you like to do in CM and what sort of things you're looking for on an away trip to Isaan.

There's  some really negative comments  about a huge and beautiful  area of Thailand so well said Santi.

I've done so many great trips/tours in isaan. No it's not full of great attractions or tourist  sites but where is in Thailand, but driving around we've  visited/stayed some great places. Is there any point stating where because it seems the majority have no interest? Probably not.

13 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You said 3 days in another post.

Not worth going for 1 day.

39 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

and I should care about your opinion, why exactly? Perhaps you are so bored with your life in Issan that you have to come on here and slag me off, but that says more about you than I.

I do pity you that you think it's ok to flame people on a forum.

You asked for advice. 1 day or 3 days? 1 day anywhere is nothing. 

Just now, Justfine said:

You said 3 days in another post.

Not worth going for 1 day.

Nong Khai is a well designed town on the magnificent River Maekong. It has a near by extraordinary sculptor park and a smattering of night life.  An interesting covered markets and some good restaurant and bars and a walking most weekends. It hosts cultural events including the famous fire balls festival.

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

2 days travelling, one day at destination= 3 days.

Agree that there apparently is nothing worth going there for with just one day.

2 days flying from cm? lol

1 hr flight plus 3 hrs transfer.

Just now, Bredbury Blue said:

There's  some really negative comments  about a huge and beautiful  area of Thailand so well said Santi.

I've done so many great trips/tours in isaan. No it's not full of great attractions or tourist  sites but where is in Thailand, but driving around we've  visited/stayed some great places. Is there any point stating where because it seems the majority have no interest? Probably not.

Issan has the most spectacular festivals and many areas of beauty and interest. The OP seems just to be wasting time with this thread. Should just stay in CM.

16 minutes ago, Justfine said:

You asked for advice. 1 day or 3 days? 1 day anywhere is nothing. 

1 day anywhere is nothing. 

LOL.

In Pattaya I could visit the magnificent Temple of Truth in the morning and the amazing Nong Nooch in the afternoon, both well worth it. In the evening there is a myriad of nightlife to enjoy.

I've done one day tours to Doi Inthanon, Kanchanaburi, Ayuttaya and the Golden Triangle, all worth it. I've been to Chang Dao and Mae Hong Son for 2 nights one day, Cave Lodge and Thaton for one night one day. All excellent one day visits with plenty to see. Plenty of other one day visits that were well worth it. Even Lampang and Lamphun worth a day visit. Unfortunately, seems that K K isn't worth a day, as no suggestions have been forthcoming of any thing interesting enough. Not for nothing it seems do tourists give Issan a miss.

4 minutes ago, Justfine said:

2 days flying from cm? lol

1 hr flight plus 3 hrs transfer.

LOL, LOL, LOL.

Have to turn up at C M airport at least one hour before flight ( I go sooner ), 4 hours ( by your statement ) travel and it's 2 flights. Then I have to go into town and find a place to stay, another hour or 2. That's most of the day gone. In Pattaya I could go out to bars till late, but K K sounds like the night market is about all there is and I live right next to a night market. No interest in travelling all day to see a night market. Going back, less time because I have a place here, but I'd have to leave before mid day if I don't want to get back after dark, and I don't.

Archived