Chiang Rai : Search continues for 13 missing youth

webfact

Search continues for 13 missing youth

By THE NATION

b6a549465276c14bbdcc10b1048e60ea.jpeg

A RECREATIONAL visit to a Chiang Rai attraction by a group of 13 youths turned into a nightmare this weekend with all of them still missing.

As the search operation continued on Sunday for the 12 youths and their 25-year-old football coach, who are missing after visiting a cave in the Tham Luang-Khunnam Nang Non Forest Park in Mae Sai district since Saturday afternoon, their parents prayed for their safe returns.

eabdf7d0068960333e785cbeb7c0d7b9.jpeg

“We believe the children are safe but there was a stream between the entrance and where they are now. We hope they will be rescued soon,” a relative said. There was an unconfirmed report that the lost youth had been found on Sunday morning but they were not immediately brought out because of the dangerous water level. 

2f4bca533801d89c77e0ce031f29546c.jpeg

As of on Sunday afternoon, officials had not confirmed if they had been found. At 5pm, two teams of divers went in to create a rope-guiding line under the muddy five-metre-deep water in the cave to prepare for the rescue mission or at least to take the stranded youth some food before bringing them out.

The Ban Phong Pha footballers attended football practice every Saturday and Sunday. Following training on Saturday afternoon, the 12 teenage footballers and their coach Ekkapol Chanwong visited the park’s cave but they could not return as flash floods had blocked their path to get out of the cave. 

The underground seven-kilometre-long cave is about 100cm-150cm high and has a stream in between the cave’s entrance and other sections. No one reportedly has gone beyond the 4-kilometre marker or to the end of this cave, as it was unsafe, a source said.

dd9b23c901752450e78f4ae77b9b6d35.jpeg

The rescue workers of the Siam Ruanjai Mae Sai unit and related agencies had searched for the young footballers of Tambon Pong Pha after receiving a report at 7pm that they had gone missing in the cave. They found the group’s 11 bicycles and one motorcycle at the cave entrance. 

d93b568757cab54d0ad4a61aa0c9dfec.jpeg

Amid the rising water level in the cave, provincial governor Narongsak Osathathanakorn visited the site. The 22-strong rescue team, equipped with scuba-diving gear, called off the search at 3.40am. After they resumed the search on Sunday morning, a source in the rescue unit claimed the group had been found but they could not come out as the water level was unsafe.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30348515

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-06-25

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Cereal said:

Scuba gear...unsafe water level...I don't get it and I've been a diver for a long time.

I saw that and was wondering if maybe the currents were too strong when the water was higher ? That's the only reason I can think of.

43 minutes ago, Cereal said:

Scuba gear...unsafe water level...I don't get it and I've been a diver for a long time.

I know of quite a few brave souls who have lost their lives trying to rescue or recover others in conditions where there are strong currents. The right decision 

Hope they are ok and as an old diver of many years experience strong current poor visibility would tax an experienced diver let alone some one with no experience better to wait out the high water

21 minutes ago, Tug said:

Hope they are ok and as an old diver of many years experience strong current poor visibility would tax an experienced diver let alone some one with no experience better to wait out the high water

Hopefully common sense will prevail, for a change!

As an experienced caver (potholer) in my young days I am counting on them being OK if the leader 

has a sensible  head & did not panic making them stay on high ground  until the waters recede. Been in this position many times. The fear underground is even a 

small tremor  leading  to earth movement in particular where swollen rivers can  become 

waterfalls in a matter of minutes

Navy SEALs join effort to rescue youths trapped in Chiang Rai cave

By The Nation

45fb9f14ca4e398761164fe92fb41673-sld.jpe

Royal Thai Navy SEALs on Monday joined the search for 12 youths and their football coach missing after visiting a cave in Tham Luang-Khunnam Nang Non Forest Park in Chiang Rai on Saturday afternoon.

Eighteen SEALs divers arrived in Chiang Rai at 1.40am on Monday in an RTN 2112 aircraft and immediately set to work blasting sand out of an underwater passageway to gain access to the other side of the cave.

By 10am they had found no sign of the missing group, a source with a local rescue unit said. That deep in the cave, mobile phones were not working.

Meanwhile the level of muddy water in the cave had risen by two metres, reaching seven metres in depth, the source said.

The dozen teenagers from Ban Phong Pha and their coach, Ekkapol Chanwong, 25, had finished a practice session on Saturday afternoon and then went to the cave, but were trapped inside by a flash flood.

Passageways in the seven-kilometre-long cave range from 100-150cm in height and a stream runs through portions of it.

The youngsters and coach, their escape presumably blocked by floodwaters, are believed to be in a dry section of the cave about 4km along its 7km length.

It’s believed the last 3km of that distance is also inundated and unsafe.

Several sections are underwater due to cave wall erosion that has trapped the water inside and landslides preventing drainage.

The rescue worker said officials considered piling up sandbags to stop more water going in and using pumps to empty the cave but decided it would be safer to wait for the water level to decrease naturally.

“We have sent in enough drinking water and food for the kids to last at least a week, until the water goes down,” he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30348545

thenation_logo.jpg

Navy Seals frog men find markings left by trapped football team in underwater cave

By Thai PBS

cave.jpg

Royal Thai Navy Seal frogmen said they have found some signs inside the underwater cave late Monday morning, indicating they might be still alive.

The frogmen are now setting on foot from the spacious hall inside the cave to the end of the 7-kilometer long cave which is a creek and steep ravine bordering Myanmar.

Search for the missing  12 teenagers and their football coach resumed again on Monday morning  with the  Royal Thai Navy Seals frogmen taking part after having to end the 6-hour search last night due to darkness and the rising water in this 7-kilometer long cave, the longest cave in the country.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/navy-seals-frog-men-find-markings-left-trapped-football-team-underwater-cave/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-06-25

Latest : Timeline of cave rescue attempt : Police spokesman

0ce94f9db9ea135ab1a8ada52ef171aa-sld.jpe

Bikes believed to belong to the missing local footballers were seen in front of the cave.

A rescue team, whose members now include a Navy SEAL unit, are continuing their concerted search for the missing 12 young footballers and their coach who have been trapped inside a cave in Tham Luang Khunnam Nang Non Forest Park in Mae Sai district since Saturday.

The flash flood that hit the area prevented the missing group from leaving the cave. 

Latest reports indicate that the SEAL team, who arrived at the scene at about 2.45am on Monday morning, went into the cave and drilled into the wall of a cavern in which the youngsters were believed to be sheltering but to no avail.

However, rescue team members who entered the cave found footwear thought to belong to the young footballers of The Ban Phong Pha team, which is known in the area as "Moo Pa" (wild pig).

As the search operation continued yesterday for the 12 youths and their 25-year-old coach, their parents prayed for their safe return.

Deputy national police spokesman Pol Colonel Krissana Pattanacharoen summarised the search activities of Monday's search attempt, based on reports from Chiang Rai police.

00.10am: Ten search members of the Army and border patrol police enter the cave.

00.40am: A three-member team from the Mekhong Riverine Unit Headquarters joins the first team inside the cave to help locate the missing group.

1.20am: Authorities hold a meeting at the site to map the search efforts.

2am: The meeting agree that the Thai Navy's SEAL unit should join the search. 

2.45am: A team of 18 SEALs arrives at the scene. They are briefed on the latest situation and decide to divide into four groups each with four members. 

6am: They enter the cave and drill into the wall of a large cavern where the missing group is believed to be resting. After finding no one, the team continues searching.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30348548

thenation_logo.jpg

I have been to this cave. The underground complex of caverns is huge stretching for kilometres. It has been mapped by international teams who state there are still further sections that are not known.

Looks like this football team all turned up on 2 wheels. They couldn't have brought much in the way of equipment with them. This is usually one ranger at the Forest Park but I don't know what equipment he has to rent out. Probably none. I wouldn't be surprised if they went in with nothing but 2 or 3 gas lamps and no knowledge of the path.

5 hours ago, Kerryd said:

I saw that and was wondering if maybe the currents were too strong when the water was higher ? That's the only reason I can think of.

Zero visibility, young kids maybe never used scuba equipment before! Why risk lives!!!!!

Not a good idea to go into caves in the rainy season,

they can fill up very fast,and we have had a lot of rain

last few days.

Just hope they are OK and get rescued safely and soon.

regards Worgeordie

Soccer team trapped in flooded cave complex in Thailand

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Search and rescue teams in Thailand were looking on Monday for 13 members of an under-16 soccer team trapped in a flooded cave complex deep inside a mountain.

The boys' bicycles and soccer boots were found at the mouth of the Tham Luang caves, in the northern province of Chiang Rai, after they went missing late on Saturday.

They were believed to have been trapped by rising waters inside the cave network when heavy rain hit.

Members of a navy "seal" unit including a team of divers, are searching the cave system.

"The team went down to a depth of 5 metres (16 feet) and found a large chamber ... but we've found no trace of the children," the navy unit said on its Facebook page.

A navy commander overseeing the search said he was hopeful the 12 twelve boys and their 20-year-old coach would be rescued.

"I believe they're all still alive but they might be exhausted ... we should get good news today," Rear Admiral Arparkorn Yookongkaew told Reuters.

People wanting to explore the cave are meant to get permission. Thailand is in the middle of its rainy season when caves can flood.

(Reporting by Panarat Thepgumpanat; Additional reporting by Amy Sawitta Lefevre and Juarwee Kittisilpa; Writing by Amy Sawitta Lefevre; Editing by Robert Birsel)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-06-25

7 hours ago, Cereal said:

Rescue personnel as it is reported found the group in a section beyond high water levels, thus unable to bring out the group at that time.

maybe they needed time to prepare properly the evacuation including extra scuba gear  and life saving equipment if needed!

Not difficult to understand!

7 hours ago, NextStationBangkok said:

This is an unexpected tragedy, hope there is good news rescued soon.

There are many caves like these for tourists in the south of Thailand.

Unexpected tragedy ??
Sheer stupidity of the trainer to take the kids into that cave in the rainy season as it seems not to be a secret that there is a stream.
Hope they get resqued soon.

There are a couple of "experienced divers" that have made some remarks that an experienced diver would not make and that is about trying to bring young inexperienced people who have never used scuba gear before out of a cave through muddy water where their visibility is severally restricted. Panic is the problem with young inexperienced people who have not used that gear before and that is dangerous.

We get so many horror stories in the news that I am generally uninvolved emotionally. But I am genuinely concerned about these kids. I can imagine what I would be going through if it was one of mine in there. Praying for their safe return.

Why so many conflicting reports?

The initial Nation report said:-

"After they resumed the search on Sunday morning, a source in the rescue unit claimed the group had been found but they could not come out as the water level was unsafe."

4 hours ago they said this

"We have sent in enough drinking water and food for the kids to last at least a week, until the water goes down,” he said.

3 hours ago they said

"Latest reports indicate that the SEAL team, who arrived at the scene at about 2.45am on Monday morning, went into the cave and drilled into the wall of a cavern in which the youngsters were believed to be sheltering but to no avail."

Archived